Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 74840 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Westworld
« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2020, 11:37:49 AM »
Doesn't she have Teddy in her ball sack too? For some reason I thought she had Ford somehow as well. I think the bodyguard is legit only because I think Bernard would have noticed if it wasn't him when he was updating his primary function.

i thought Teddy made it in to that virtual world with the Native Americans and Mauve's daughter?

I was talking about the body guard Dolore's killed and replicated in the first episode.....Liam Dempsy's body guard Martin played by Tom Flanagan. I think she needed a 'soldier' for that guy. Maybe it's Hector or Armistice. They're both lethal and will follow orders.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2020, 11:54:47 AM »
Ahhh. I gotcha. I think you're right. I forgot she uploaded Teddy after he shot himself.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2020, 12:09:53 PM »
"Doesn't she have Teddy in her ball sack, too?" should make no sense, yet it does here  :lol

Could Angela be one of the people Dolores took with her? I know she got blowed up real good n' such, but I'm convinced anything's possible in this damn show.

And that's real odd, Chino. Disney+ is flawless for me; in fact, after giving up on WW, I immediately switched to Toy Story 4 and had I shit you not no lag at all, it was like I was watching a perfect rip.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #563 on: March 23, 2020, 01:30:56 PM »
I completely forgot... I thought the GOT nod was pretty ballsy. I'm guessing that was filmed prior to the shitshow that was season 8.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:49:11 PM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: March 23, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »
I completely forgot... I thought the GOT nod was pretty ballsy. I'm guessing that was filmed prior to the shitshow that was season 8.

yeah....I honestly rolled my eyes at that. either way....filmed before or after......just kind of cheesy for as high a quality show Westworld is....or at least wants to portray itself. I like the fact they throw nuggetz in there but that was too over the top and cheesy for my taste.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #565 on: March 23, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »

yeah....I honestly rolled my eyes at that. either way....filmed before or after......just kind of cheesy for as high a quality show Westworld is....or at least wants to portray itself. I like the fact they throw nuggetz in there but that was too over the top and cheesy for my taste.

I might be an idiot, but I didn't even think of it as a nugget. They were in fantasy or whatever world, and I just figured a dragon was part of it. Didn't realize it was a GoT nugget til I read about it later.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: March 23, 2020, 04:51:50 PM »

I might be an idiot, but I didn't even think of it as a nugget. They were in fantasy or whatever world, and I just figured a dragon was part of it. Didn't realize it was a GoT nugget til I read about it later.

The two techs in the room with the dragon were the two lazy a$$ storyteller  show runners for GOT.

Offline Adami

« Reply #567 on: March 23, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »
Did not know that. Ehhhhhh. Yea. Pretty dumb.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: March 23, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
I thought it was pretty cool... but I also love dragons and the idea of Medieval World. I read that it was inspired not only by GoT but by Medieval World (which I believe is a reference to the Futureworld film?). Yeah, could've done without it, but I love it, was NOT expecting a drogon  :biggrin:

EDIT: Nope, thought I had the stutter figured out, turns out not. God damn it HBO  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #569 on: March 25, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
Not sure why the seemingly negative reactions to the GoT thing. 

It explains so much.  It was perfect.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: March 29, 2020, 08:12:31 PM »
New episode was fantastic. The cinematography this season is outstanding. They are doing a very good job of making 2058 elite lifestyle look slick af. Thinking about who Charlotte actually is (or who is Charlotte, rather)... this show trips me out.

The most powerful scene in there, in my opinion, was the one with Charlotte and Dolores when Charlotte was tweaking. It showed a level of compassion - dare I say love - that is often not shown in Dolores's character. I really loved watching that whole scene. The other one, with Caleb and Dolores on the pier, was great as well.

Not only is the more straightforward storytelling a boon to this season, but the music is doing a better job than ever of really accentuating the mood and emphasizing emotional beats in the dialogue. I am highly impressed with Ramin Djawadi this season. The man's quickly becoming one of my favorite composers in general.

I'm still chewing on the themes, but I think this is the best episode yet. And can I just say Evan Rachel Wood and Tessa Thompson are incredibly beautiful and looked stellar this whole episode. They do a great job of emphasizing strength, confidence, and boldness in Dolores's clothing (and the hair is consistently on point).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:19:40 PM by Kattelox »

Offline Adami

« Reply #571 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:38 PM »
One of the most beautiful and perfectly crafted mostly filler episode of any show I’ve seen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 29, 2020, 08:21:13 PM »
Damn it, Adami.  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #573 on: March 29, 2020, 08:22:11 PM »
Hey, that’s a compliment! As well as an observation. Enjoyed it very much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: March 29, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »
 :biggrin:

Alt Shift X on YouTube is doing a livestream in about 10 minutes as of this post. He does very elaborate, professional analyses of this show and others, one of the only YouTube channels I subscribe to for this stuff. Looking forward to the commentary and getting some new perspectives.

Also, that preview for next week... a certain you-know-who is back!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #575 on: March 29, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
The show is so well done. Every aspect. From the rich storytelling, the acting, the cinematography, and the music, it clicks on all cylinders. And it's so dense, so rich, I have to watch each episode twice just to make sure I don't miss anything.

The scene on the pier was perfection.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #576 on: March 29, 2020, 10:43:28 PM »
looking forward to Ed Harris finally returning next week.

I am struggling with who Dolores really is, if the Season 1-2 Dolores is in Charlotte (or a Host of Charlotte's body).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: March 30, 2020, 05:23:20 AM »
There's a lot of possibilities as to who it could be. The Alt Shift X stream reinforced my belief in a few choices, but I fell asleep shortly after it started anyway. One of the possibilities that was raised, that I hadn't considered, is what if this person in Charlotte is a completely new personality, some kind of amalgamation of collected Westworld data crammed into one being, and Dolores is throwing it head first into the deep end of the real world?

Offline Adami

« Reply #578 on: March 30, 2020, 06:37:54 AM »
There's a lot of possibilities as to who it could be. The Alt Shift X stream reinforced my belief in a few choices, but I fell asleep shortly after it started anyway. One of the possibilities that was raised, that I hadn't considered, is what if this person in Charlotte is a completely new personality, some kind of amalgamation of collected Westworld data crammed into one being, and Dolores is throwing it head first into the deep end of the real world?

Huh. How would that work though? I mean, it's an interesting possibility, I'm just unsure how it'd work.

Also, did they give any insight as to who's in the big Scottish dude?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: March 30, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »

Huh. How would that work though? I mean, it's an interesting possibility, I'm just unsure how it'd work.

Also, did they give any insight as to who's in the big Scottish dude?

Tommy Flanagan plays him (Martin Connells is the character's name apparently), but I have no idea if they've even dropped a hint as to who's in his body. I'm going to go back through the 3 episodes this week, maybe I missed something.

I have no idea how they'd pull that off, but I'm also liking the theory that Wyatt is Dolores, and Dolores is Hale.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: March 30, 2020, 08:12:37 AM »
Concerning 'who' is in those bodies.....I Posted this on the last page:

I think Clementine is probably who she put in Charlotte's body
I think the 'real' Hector is who she put in that body Guard's body.

Armistice could be one. She is a 'soldier' that could come in handy.

After last nights episode and the person in Charlotte saying "she's a predator too".....I'd lean toward Armistice over Clementine. Still going with Hector being in the body Guard.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #581 on: March 30, 2020, 08:19:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to watch all three episodes again, it's so easy to miss details. This time, I'll put my phone and laptop in my car so I don't get distracted.

Offline Adami

« Reply #582 on: March 30, 2020, 06:55:35 PM »
So given it a little thought.

I feel confident that Dolores is Dolores. She's just very much in her own character. I see no reason to doubt it.

And I feel like whoever's in Hale's body is one person. When Dolores said "You know who you are" I feel like she wouldn't say that to a combination of multiple people. Just a matter of who.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: March 30, 2020, 07:35:42 PM »
I have no idea how they'd pull that off, but I'm also liking the theory that Wyatt is Dolores, and Dolores is Hale.

I just don't think the way they've portrayed Dolores and Hale this season lends itself to that theory. Wyatt wasn't that 'calm' and focused...he was a wild card and Hale is a mess which is the exact opposite of what Dolores became.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: March 30, 2020, 07:46:44 PM »
Just throwing out ideas I read, been chewing on 'em all day. Don't think they're very likely, but they're interesting to think about.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 30, 2020, 08:00:09 PM »
Just throwing out ideas I read, been chewing on 'em all day. Don't think they're very likely, but they're interesting to think about.

I like the mystery. I like that it’s seemingly replaced the multiple timeline storytelling method. We now have a linear (so it seems) timeline but it’s still hiding things in plain sight. Just wondering if we will have to wait the whole season to see ‘who’ the four are or if it’s reveled a bit at a time.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »

I like the mystery. I like that it’s seemingly replaced the multiple timeline storytelling method. We now have a linear (so it seems) timeline but it’s still hiding things in plain sight. Just wondering if we will have to wait the whole season to see ‘who’ the four are or if it’s reveled a bit at a time.

I think the opposite. After Dolores' mentioning of the algorithm predicting Caleb's suicide and Charlotte seemingly watching two different videos of herself, I'm thinking we're switching between real life and Rehoboam's simulation already. I think the super basic video we saw to Nathan was the simulation, and the super emotional one was real life.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 11:25:39 AM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: March 31, 2020, 11:41:18 AM »

I think the opposite. After Dolores' mentioning of the algorithm predicting Caleb's suicide and Charlotte seemingly watching two different videos of herself, I'm thinking we're switching between real life and Rehoboam's simulation already. I think the super basic video we saw to Nathan was the simulation, and the super emotional one was real life.

Could be. That's why I added the (so it seems)  :lol   Instead of multiple timelines they've now switched it to simulation and reality.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: April 04, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »
I just gotta say I really, really love this show. I've watched each episode of this season multiple times already and eat up Alt Shift X's Westworld videos and, now, the Decoding Westworld podcast. I might restart season 1 for the umpteenth time today just because it's so good. Thematically, this show is more interesting than anything I've ever watched. I love that they have the balls to take on such heady concepts like "the nature of one's reality," "what is real?", and "who are you?" Sometimes they bite off a bit more than they can chew - choppy storytelling and ineffective communication that Dolores = Hale in season 2 - but overall I respect and admire the storytelling and think pretty much everything about this show is cool.

It also has me desperate for a Westworld-based open world video game. Whenever I play Red Dead and enter Valentine, it feels like I'm entering Sweetwater. I keep waiting for a can to roll down the road. Jimmy and Logan in season 1 especially remind me of this. I like to think I'd pick the white hat, but my Red Dead 2 morale bar says otherwise; I'd almost certainly be a nearly full-on black hat, like Logan.

I liked Dolores's look in season 2 most, but her slick modern appearance in 3 is really powerful - more powerful than the bandolier implied, in my opinion. She's my favorite character of the season so far (the cold open of ep 1 does an awesome job of showing how powerful she is, but also how more smooth and calculating than she was in season 2). Hale is right behind her, if last episode's performance is a sign of things to come. I'm so interested in her entire arc this season. I like Caleb a lot, too, but I have to see what he does now that he and Dolores are partnered up.

Man, I love this show!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #589 on: April 04, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »
Thanks so much for suggesting Alt Shift X's videos, just watched the one for S3E1, and it's a great in depth analysis. I suck at following such rich shows, so these will probably save me from having to watch each episode 30 times.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks so much for suggesting Alt Shift X's videos, just watched the one for S3E1, and it's a great in depth analysis. I suck at following such rich shows, so these will probably save me from having to watch each episode 30 times.

Glad you enjoyed it! He also does livestream Q&As on YouTube about each episode, half an hour after they premiere. He especially helped me during season 2 when it was hard to figure out what timeline we were in.

Offline Adami

« Reply #591 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
I just gotta say I really, really love this show. I've watched each episode of this season multiple times already and eat up Alt Shift X's Westworld videos and, now, the Decoding Westworld podcast. I might restart season 1 for the umpteenth time today just because it's so good. Thematically, this show is more interesting than anything I've ever watched. I love that they have the balls to take on such heady concepts like "the nature of one's reality," "what is real?", and "who are you?" Sometimes they bite off a bit more than they can chew - choppy storytelling and ineffective communication that Dolores = Hale in season 2 - but overall I respect and admire the storytelling and think pretty much everything about this show is cool.

It also has me desperate for a Westworld-based open world video game. Whenever I play Red Dead and enter Valentine, it feels like I'm entering Sweetwater. I keep waiting for a can to roll down the road. Jimmy and Logan in season 1 especially remind me of this. I like to think I'd pick the white hat, but my Red Dead 2 morale bar says otherwise; I'd almost certainly be a nearly full-on black hat, like Logan.

I liked Dolores's look in season 2 most, but her slick modern appearance in 3 is really powerful - more powerful than the bandolier implied, in my opinion. She's my favorite character of the season so far (the cold open of ep 1 does an awesome job of showing how powerful she is, but also how more smooth and calculating than she was in season 2). Hale is right behind her, if last episode's performance is a sign of things to come. I'm so interested in her entire arc this season. I like Caleb a lot, too, but I have to see what he does now that he and Dolores are partnered up.

Man, I love this show!!

It's okay.

:biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: April 04, 2020, 01:25:05 PM »
 :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #593 on: April 04, 2020, 08:37:45 PM »
My husband wonders if Dolores isn't in Dolores. He thinks maybe her outfits make her actually The Man in Black.

Offline Adami

« Reply #594 on: April 05, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »
Woah

Twists!
fanticide.bandcamp.com