Author Topic: The Ask twosuitsluke Thread  (Read 111413 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Ask Sir GuitarCozmo Thread
« Reply #1155 on: January 11, 2017, 10:13:46 AM »
I'll offer a disclaimer to start.  I didn't start even getting remotely into decent music until the mid 90's.  I found a bunch of things I liked and listened to those pretty much exclusively and obsessively.  It hasn't been until the last couple of years that I've tried to go back and catch up on classic albums that I only knew the radio hits from.  Like Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, for example.  Heard those for the first time a year or so ago.  So with that, my knowledge of those bands is fairly limited.  It sounds like you're saying there are a couple of guys who played in both Ozzy and Dio's solo bands.  Without looking, I'm not going to be able to say.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Tommy Aldridge and Rudy Sarzo.  They've played for like everybody.

That surprises me; being an 80's metal guy and a guitar player, to boot, I'm surprised you don't have Randy Rhoads tattooed on your forehead.  I really do honestly think that he would be regarded like Hendrix had he a) sang, and b) had more than say a two-year window in the public eye, and/or c) had a showcase like Woodstock.  I really think he was head and shoulders above the rest of the 80's metal pack, with only Yngwie and Eddie as true rivals. 

Ugh, that's a hard one.  So many good ones to choose from.  I'd easily go with Ann OR Nancy Wilson, just because.  Power.  Tone.  Awesome.  I will say though, that there is something about Susanna Hoffs' voice that is VERY appealing.  It's slightly raspy, slightly girly.  And sexy.  Listen to her live cover of Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love" and tell me you don't need to excuse yourself for a few minutes.

I went in to my local bar here in CT about three years ago, and as a joke called the pretty bartender "Susanna".  She's like "wha? my name is Erin".  I said I know, but you look just like Susanna Hoffs.  "Who?"   Susanna Hoffs, the lead singer for the Bangles.  "Who?"   You know, the Bangles.  Walk Like an Egyptian?  "Who?"   I said "how old are you?"  "26".  'Nuff said.   I felt really old at that point (though we later became sort of friends and she did actually know who I was talking about, but didn't put two and two together). 

I think Susanna Hoffs still looks and sounds great.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1156 on: January 11, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »
Ace's guitar licks and style were the first ones I obsessively learned inside and out.  By the time I got around to liking Kiss and such (early 90's after finding a VHS of Headbanger's Ball that my sister had and seeing the live/Kiss Exposed video for RNRAN), and learning a bunch of Ace stuff, Satriani and Vai were popular.  The Audience is Listening was starting to make waves at the time and on the strength of that, I got Passion and Warfare and the whole world changed for me.  That and Surfing with the Alien were like BIBLICAL to me.

Also, oddly enough, Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of my guitar idols as well.  I learned how to improvise because of SRV.  I had the sheet music to Crossfire.  So I went and bought the In Step album it was on (it came with the traditional CD longbox that was popular at the time).  As I'm playing along with the song, I notice that the solo follows the standard pentatonic box pattern I'd seen in the guitar magazines and such.  I'd seen it and read about it, but it never connected to me.  Here, I was seeing it on paper, in a song I was learning, and could see and hear how it worked in the context of the key the song was in.

So I skipped forward to the next song, Tightrope.  I didn't know what key that was in, but figured I'd play this pattern in several places on the neck until none of the notes sounded dissonant.  Found it to be B minor.  Played the notes in that pattern in different variations over top of the whole song.  Hmph.  That worked.  Next song - Let Me Love You Baby.  Same thing.  Eventually found it to be F minor position.  Over and over with that album for hours.  A door had opened that night.  A door to a much larger world, wherein I could let inspiration express itself through my hands in any way it chose to.  Now it took a while before I commanded any sort of facility in doing so (I am still learning to do so even now), but once that light bulb came on and I "got it", it was pretty fucking awesome.

Also, yeah, the Erin story is excellent.  I can't imagine saying that name to any adult and have them NOT know who I'm talking about.  Ouch.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1157 on: January 15, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »
Well, that was a fun week.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: January 16, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »
Is it over?  I have a couple more...

Three favorite Kiss songs to play...

Three favorite ANYONE'S songs to play...

Favorite guitar...

Dream guitar (if not the answer above)...

Favorite Sammy album (since you look like him and all... :))...

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1159 on: January 16, 2017, 04:27:49 PM »
I'll be home in the middle of the night and will respond tomorrow.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1160 on: January 16, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
You disapoint me with the low scores on some great beers on Untapped.   When did your taste buds betray you?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1161 on: January 16, 2017, 05:11:52 PM »
I'm not a fan of dark beers, you know me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: January 16, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
I do.  I feel the need to tie you up and change that but I know too many great IPA'S that you would love.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Ask kingshmegland Thread
« Reply #1163 on: January 17, 2017, 03:51:23 AM »
Ask kingshmegland this week.

Also, if anyone wants to be added to the list (again) just shoot me a PM or write a post here.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1164 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:32 AM »
How long can you last before your volcanic climax?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: January 17, 2017, 05:00:36 AM »
is our childrens learn ?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:15 AM »
How long can you last before your volcanic climax?

In the old days, I controlled the explosion.  Now 5 minutes. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: January 17, 2017, 05:56:18 AM »
is our childrens learn ?

Jar Jar, yousa know dis answer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: January 17, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »
🤔 You're right. Somehow i've...always known.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1169 on: January 17, 2017, 06:10:52 AM »
If I came up to Boston for a sporting event, would you rather be with me when the Flyers beat the Bruins, or when the 49ers beat the Patriots. And yes, this is a question for a year when either of those things is actually possibly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: January 17, 2017, 06:14:20 AM »
Flyers winning.  The B's will not make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.  Even though I like Claude, it's time to fire him and shake things up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: January 17, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
Best bar in Beantown?

Best restaurant?

Portsmouth, Manchester or Concord?

Cars, Aerosmith or Billy Squier? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:29 AM »
Best bar in Beantown?

Best restaurant?

I love Proabition Pig in  Waterbury, VT.  Fantastic food and great beers.

Portsmouth, Manchester or Concord?

Portsmouth.  I love the history, again a good place for food and beer and I love the cobblestone streets they have.

Cars, Aerosmith or Billy Squier?

I like all three and I just saw Greg Hawkes jump up on stage with a local band he is producing their new album about 2 months ago.  Nothing can beat old Aerosmith though.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »
I know you've seen Rush in concert many times, which is your favourite show and why?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:32 AM »
I would say 6th row 1996 in Mansfield Mass on the T4E tour.  The band was really on that night and you could see all the interplay between them.  They were having a blast on stage.

Little did we know at that time that 2112 & Leave That Thing Alone was used from this show for the Different Stages live album.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: January 17, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
What's your favorite show non-Rush show?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1176 on: January 17, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
When are you and the queen going to take a trip to NYC, with a side journey into NJ to brew with me?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: January 17, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »
What's your favorite show non-Rush show?

I think it would be Porcupine Tree on the Deadwing tour 2005?  It was at this really old theater in Somerville, Ma.  First the sound blew me away but I was in love with that album and In Abenstia and they played a lot from both albums.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1178 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
When are you and the queen going to take a trip to NYC, with a side journey into NJ to brew with me?

I keep telling Lisa I want to.  We've been blowing our money on the house of late and going to RoSfest.  I promise at some point we will make the trip.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1179 on: January 17, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
Finishing up here, Joe...

Is it over?  I have a couple more...

Three favorite Kiss songs to play...

Makin' Love, Love Her All I Can, King of the Night Time World

Three favorite ANYONE'S songs to play...

I've played SOOOOO many, that it's very har to say, but off the top of my head, Bark at the Moon, All Right Now, and Good Lovin' Gone Bad are all three very fun to play.

Favorite guitar...
This is my fave, my 1990 (I think) Ibanez RG570:

Dream guitar (if not the answer above)...

Ibanez' Blue Floral Print Jem:

Favorite Sammy album (since you look like him and all... :))...

I get the Sammy thing a LOT as noted.  Standing Hampton, Three Lock Box, and VOA are as good a three-album run as any.  I'm gonna go with VOA, based on the strength of Dick in the Dirt, I Can't Drive 55, and my all-time favorite Hagar tune, Two Sides of Love.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:51:14 PM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: January 17, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
Two Sides Of Love is amazing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1181 on: January 17, 2017, 03:39:16 PM »
Joe, Top 5 Rush songs?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1182 on: January 17, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »
Favorite person named Adami?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
Joe, Top 5 Rush songs?

Marathon
Xanadu
Natural Science
Red Barchetta
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: January 17, 2017, 03:46:08 PM »
Favorite person named Adami?

I'll have to Google that.

You know who :-*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1185 on: January 17, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »

Only a Rush nerd would type out the bolded part. Most of us just call it Hemisperes! :P

Marathon
Xanadu
Natural Science
Red Barchetta

4 of your 5 may actually also be in my 5. My all time favorite is Red Barchetta.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: January 17, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
 :lol

Well Power Windows is my #1 album but you know the other big 4 you love are my top 5.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1187 on: January 17, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
When are you and the Queen coming to SF so I can give your big self a long overdue hug?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »
The wife and I were jealous of Bill and the SF beer tour so we talked about doing that and of course hanging out with you but first new boiler and new porch then travel.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #1189 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »
How'd you come up with your username?

Who's that in the profile picture??

How did you find out about Dream Theater and this forum??

Favorite Dream Theater song/album?

Least liked DT song/album?

How are you??

Favorite type of drink?