Author Topic: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: The Animals)  (Read 10855 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I have done these kind of threads before, for the 80s, classic rock, and prog, and I figured it was time to dive way back and focus on the 1960's.

Same as before, meaning let me pick the songs to feature, instead of it being a free-for-all where several are posting different songs, and let's try to keep the topic on that one song while it is being featured, for the most part. 

Assuming there is interest and discussion here, I will keep this going for a while. :coolio

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze

I will admit to never being that big a fan of Hendrix - I recognize his influence and greatness, but have never bought anything by him and rarely go out of my way to listen to him - but Purple Haze is one song I will occasionally turn on and crank up. Awesome tune; probably his best and most popular. :hat
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:06:47 PM by KevShmev »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »
I probably feel the same way about him as you do. I do think this is a great song though, but I cannot get into Hendrix generally. I did have Are You Experienced on 8 track when I was a kid.
Honestly, I was much more impressed with drummer Mitch Mitchell.

This is a softball for LudwigVan!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »
I've always felt the same about Hendrix as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 08:03:18 AM »
Cool song, always have enjoyed it.

This. His drumming always stood out to me, great player.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
I have a deep and abiding respect for Hendrix, but this song has been overplayed so much that I could go a long, long time without listening to it again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 11:55:38 AM »
Great tune.  I remember chuckling when I heard about the Monkees choosing Hendrix to open for them in '67:

Promoting a supporting act as cutting edge as the Jimi Hendrix Experience on The Monkees' 1967 summer tour was perhaps in some ways an attempt to solidify The Monkees' standing as  serious musicians and entertainers. The group was thrilled to have Hendrix and company on the bill, even showing up early to the shows to watch his set. However, various members of the band have recounted in the years since that their audience was less than interested in the guitar virtuoso. "The parents were probably not too crazy about having to sit through a Monkees concert,” Micky wrote in his autobiography, "much less see this black guy in a psychedelic Day-Glo blouse, playing music from hell, holding his guitar like he was f—ing it, then lighting it on fire...Jimi would amble out onto the stage, fire up the amps and break into 'Purple Haze,' and the kids in the audience would instantly drown him out with, 'We Want Davy!!' God, it was embarrassing." "Nobody thought, 'This is screaming, scaring-your-daddy music compared with The Monkees,' Peter later said. It didn't cross anybody's mind that it wasn't gonna fly. And there's poor Jimi, and the kids go, 'We want The Monkees, we want The Monkees.'"

LOL.  Also, yeah, Mitch Mitchell is awesome.  "Fire" is a MM barnburner.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »
one of several great Jimi songs.  Crosstown Traffic, Fire, Dolly Dagger, Little Wing, Voodoo Child . . .
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

I remember first hearing this song when I was pretty young, probably at the age of 6 or 7, and I thought it was pretty awesome then. Fast forward 35 years later, and I still think it is one of the greatest songs ever written and recorded. And I have to admit that I am partial to the remixed "electric" version.  Regardless of which version is better, this song is a remarkable melodic and vocal achievement. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: Simon & Garfunkel)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 07:27:13 PM »
Love, love, love The Sound of Silence. It's about as perfect a song as there is, and I've been listening to it since I was a little kid as well.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »
I probably feel the same way about him as you do. I do think this is a great song though, but I cannot get into Hendrix generally. I did have Are You Experienced on 8 track when I was a kid.

This is a softball for LudwigVan!

I do have all the Hendrix albums. And while my favorite is Axis: Bold as Love, it didn't have the great spontaneity Purple Haze and that whole first album had.

People made a big deal about Ginger Baker at the time, but I thought Mitch Mitchell was just as good.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence

One of the most introspective lyrics ever written. Listening  to this song always puts me in a solemn mood, but not in a bad way. Who would think that such a gentle song can resonate so deeply.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 06:16:11 AM »
The thing about TSOS is that the notes not played mean as much as the notes played on this song.  This song breaths.  I hear the silence between the notes and it has meaning.  Such a great tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 06:16:44 AM »
The Sound Of Silence is timeless and mesmerizing. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:47:16 AM »
TSOS = someone kill me, please.  The Disturbed version is no better.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 06:52:25 AM »
I think the original is mesmerizing, love it.

The Disturbed cover? Fucking awful. :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 08:54:42 AM »
TSOS = someone kill me, please.
Goddammit Coz

This song is perfect.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 09:18:32 AM »
TSoS is incredible. It's so hauntingly beautiful. The Disturbed cover is pretty great as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
TSOS (Simon and Garfunkel) = 10/10
TSOS (Disturbed) = 1/10

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: Johnny Cash)
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 07:59:12 PM »
Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire

I never hide my contempt for country music, but some old school country is pretty good, and this is one example. Cool song, and it remains the only song I have ever seen my younger brother karaoke.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 03:01:48 AM »
Late to the party, but here goes:

Purple Haze: Good song. Like many others here I fully acknowledge Hendrix' influence on rock guitar but I don't own a single album by him. And I like Little Wing and Voodoo Chile better. (And Stevie Ray Vaughan played both of them better than Jimi himself  ;D).

The Sound Of Silence: Timeless classic, great song.

Ring Of Fire: Fun country song, not a song I would actively choose but I wouldn't turn it off if it came on the radio and I would probably even sing along.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 05:17:34 AM »
I'm not sure I even know this song. But when I saw the thread title, I was thinking Walk The Line, and I was going to mention Chris Daughtry's awesome version on American Idol.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 07:05:51 AM »
Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire

I never hide my contempt for country music, but some old school country is pretty good, and this is one example. Cool song, and it remains the only song I have ever seen my younger brother karaoke.

GREAT song, used to be in a cover band that did a straight-forward rock n roll version. Always went over well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
Ring of Fire is a fantastic song, definitely one the best from the Man in Black.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »
I can tell that me and this thread are not going to get along.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »
I get the disdain for country, especially the new(er) "bro" country, but it boggles my mind that more rock fans don't plug into Waylon Jennings, Big John Cash, Hank Jr., and Kris Kristofferson.

I would bet you dollars to donuts that Hetfield is a fan of that first Kristofferson record. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Never got into Cash but I completely understand his creativity, image and songwriting skills.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »
A bit of history of 'The Sound of Silence'
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/simon-garfunkel-sounds-of-silence/

Rush paid homage during 'The Spirit of Radio':   'and the words of the 'profits' were written on the studio wall'

'Purple Haze':  we play it every Sunday before a Ravens' game.  Always thought Hendrix would have benefited having a rhythm guitarist.

Johnny Cash:  admiration for his works, enjoy many of his hits, and his work with The Highwaymen.

Sidenote:  Absolutely adore 'I've Been Everywhere'.  Years ago, ESPN did a terrific satire of Larry Brown, changing the lyrics to 'I've Coached Everywhere'. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The 1960s Song of the Day (currently featuring: The Beatles)
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 05:55:36 PM »
The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand

We'll see a lot of the Beatles in this thread, and I thought it was only fitting to feature their first number 1 song in the United States before any others.  Good little pop song, even if is not a favorite of mine.  Catchy as hell and easy to see why it helped launch them in the U.S.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
I just can't get excited about the Beatles. I just can't.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »
I just can't get excited about the Beatles. I just can't.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:20 PM »

:P

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »
Catching up:

Jimi Hendricks: I bought a greatest hits album long ago. My fav song is Foxy Lady. A guitar player ahead of its time for every thing he could do with his Fender and of course, what a sound. But never been a fan. A short career.

The sound of silence: samething, bought a greatest hits album. I used to do that with the rock stars of the 60's. But that song in particular is amazing. The sweatest thing to hear, the vocals always perfect and I have always loved the drum playing. Simple but so effective.

Johnny Cash:  honestly, I know nothing about him and never was interested but I know he is an icon for many.

The Beatles: the first band I got interested in. Perfect vocals and harmonies, a song writing creativity like no other band. To me they were the Mozarts or Beethoven of the 20th century. I used to sing I wanna hold your hand thinking of a future love of my life I would marry.

With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 10:05:41 PM »
Kev...'She Loves You' was their first #1 over here
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 12:02:35 AM »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 04:43:25 AM »
This is one of those perfect songs. I prefer the later day Beatles, but if I have to choose a favorite out of their earlier pop songs, this one would probably be it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 06:05:35 AM »
A simple, super catchy tune.  They sure could write a billion of those songs.