Of Wolf and Man
8 (27.6%)
The God That Failed
9 (31%)
My Friend of Misery
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: June 17, 2016, 02:48:36 PM

Author Topic: Metallica Survivor - The Black Album: Round 4  (Read 872 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Metallica Survivor - The Black Album: Round 4
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:48:36 PM »
Results from round 3.

Holier Than Thou: 16 (51.6%)
Wherever I May Roam: 1 (3.2%)
Through the Never: 1 (3.2%)
Nothing Else Matters: 1 (3.2%)
Of Wolf and Man: 4 (12.9%)
The God That Failed: 7 (22.6%)
My Friend of Misery: 1 (3.2%)

Holier Than Thou is out! Moving on to round 4.

Of Wolf and Man
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online MirrorMask

Re: Metallica Survivor - The Black Album: Round 4
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
Once again, Through the Nevah.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:02:55 PM »
Of Wolf and Man
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »
The poll that failed
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 05:22:50 PM »
The God That Failed
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
The poll that failed

Tell me about it.

Don't Tread On Me is one of the best songs here, yet was gone in round 2, and now two great songs are tied for most votes to go here, while mediocre sludge like Through the Never keeps surviving.  Baffling, to say the least.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 06:38:21 PM »
The poll that failed

Tell me about it.

Don't Tread On Me is one of the best songs here, yet was gone in round 2, and now two great songs are tied for most votes to go here, while mediocre sludge like Through the Never keeps surviving.  Baffling, to say the least.
Pretty much this, get Through The Never out of here, I can't take that song seriously
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »
The poll that failed

Tell me about it.

Don't Tread On Me and Through the Never are both in my top 6 on this album :lol DTOM is definitely better, though.

Sorry, but Of Wolf and Man.

I'm curious to see exactly how sacred the Enter Sandman cow will end up being. I'd rate it somewhere around the middle of the album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 01:03:41 AM »
I won't have Enter Sandman winning, if it was up to me... I'm not sure if I would have it second or third...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Mladen

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:29 AM »
My Friend of Misery

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 07:03:08 AM »
TTN

Gheez guys, The God That Failed might be top 2 or 3 on this album for me...Love that song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 09:21:00 AM »
I'm curious to see exactly how sacred the Enter Sandman cow will end up being. I'd rate it somewhere around the middle of the album.
Yeah, I would be surprised if it wasn't somewhere in the middle.  I doubt it will be a top 3.  Good song though.  But it is an album full of good songs.  It is interesting to see how differently people view the different songs on here in terms of their own rankings. 

I would probably put Unforgiven and Wherever I May Roam and as my top 2.  The probably Through the Never and Enter Sandman in the next tier, followed by Sad But True, Of Wolf and Man, and Don't Tread On Me, followed by the rest.  But pretty hard to knock much on this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 09:22:24 AM »

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 09:45:25 AM »
Yeah, I would be surprised if it wasn't somewhere in the middle.  I doubt it will be a top 3.  Good song though.  But it is an album full of good songs.  It is interesting to see how differently people view the different songs on here in terms of their own rankings. 

I would probably put Unforgiven and Wherever I May Roam and as my top 2.  The probably Through the Never and Enter Sandman in the next tier, followed by Sad But True, Of Wolf and Man, and Don't Tread On Me, followed by the rest.  But pretty hard to knock much on this album.

Agreed. As I said way back in the first thread, I'd find it hard to disagree too strongly with almost any ranking of this album.

For example, I don't rate Wherever I May Roam anywhere near the top of the album. But I can totally see why someone else would.

I agree with you on Unforgiven at the top spot. I'd put Nothing Else Matters up there too, along with My Friend of Misery, Don't Tread On Me and The God That Failed.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:33 AM »
Never was too crazy about Nothing Else Matters.  Not sure if it is just because it got overplayed and saturated radio at the time or what, but I just don't care for it anymore.  Not a bad song by any means, but it just had a short shelf life for me.

Online Mladen

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
Overplayed as it is, I'd still call Enter sandman the best song on the album.  :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
Never was too crazy about Nothing Else Matters.  Not sure if it is just because it got overplayed and saturated radio at the time or what, but I just don't care for it anymore.  Not a bad song by any means, but it just had a short shelf life for me.

There are a couple songs on this album that got overplayed for me, so I ignored them for a long time. NEM, ES, SBT... It wasn't until a couple years ago these songs randomly just hit me and I realized how good they really were.

Offline 425

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »

See, I wasn't alive in 1991, so I think I have the potentially beneficial experience of coming to this album basically the same way I come to any other album. I mean, yeah, I hear Enter Sandman or Nothing Else Matters out in the world from time to time, but it's like once a year, not once a day.

I think both of them hold up as good songs regardless of their status as two of the most recognizable songs in rock. But for me Nothing Else Matters stands out as a great song, maybe the best of its type (metal power ballad), while Enter Sandman is a very good song but doesn't significantly exceed songs of a similar style like Don't Tread On Me or Sad But True. It may also help that I tend to like metal ballads.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »

See, I wasn't alive in 1991, so I think I have the potentially beneficial experience of coming to this album basically the same way I come to any other album. I mean, yeah, I hear Enter Sandman or Nothing Else Matters out in the world from time to time, but it's like once a year, not once a day.

I think both of them hold up as good songs regardless of their status as two of the most recognizable songs in rock. But for me Nothing Else Matters stands out as a great song, maybe the best of its type (metal power ballad), while Enter Sandman is a very good song but doesn't significantly exceed songs of a similar style like Don't Tread On Me or Sad But True. It may also help that I tend to like metal ballads.
It was an interesting time.  I was in high school from '84 to '88.  Metallica and thrash in general were seen as underground and very extreme at that time, even among "metal heads."  But you could sort of feel things starting to slowly change with Master of Puppets, and then albums in the same timeframe from Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer.  It was starting to open up a bit.  And Justice for All opened things up a lot more as they started to tour with more well-known bands that exposed them to a larger audience.  That, coupled with the fact that AJFA was a bit more accessible than its predecessors, a "hit" video for One, and the Grammies fiasco gained them a lot of exposure.  The Black album hit at just the right time.  Thrash still wasn't widely accepted in the mainstream, but the pump was primed.  With the Black album definitely being more mainstream and the groundwork having been laid, it really broke thrash bands through into the mainstream.  With Megadeth following suit not long after with Coundown, songs from those bands started getting tons of play on radio and MTV.  Prior to that, it was pretty scarce.  But suddenly, those songs were everywhere.  And I think that perhaps it was somewhat "new" to have music this heavy being played in the mainstream, some of those songs really got played to death.  Don't get me wrong--it was great.  But at the same time, I think the saturation and overplaying kinda wore the shimmer off of some of those songs for those of us that were around back then.

Offline 425

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
While I can't relate to a lot of that, I completely understand the last part. I'm a fan of some artists that are very mainstream, and it's hard not to see their really popular songs differently than some of the deep cuts. I can only imagine being a Metallica fan in the 90s and trying to figure out how to view Enter Sandman when the thing is playing all the time.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »

Basically my exact point of view on the song.

Absolutely great, but I've heard it enough times, I wasn't even bothered that they didn't play it at the only Metallica concert I've seen.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
My favorite is Whenever I May Roam and it will probably never change.

I guess my top 5 would be:

1. Wherever I May Roam
2. Unforgiven
3. Don't Tread On Me
4. Enter Sandman
5. Sad But True
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.