Poll

Vote for the song that you want to eliminate!

Futureal
1 (5%)
The Angel and the Gambler
8 (40%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
1 (5%)
The Clansman
0 (0%)
When Two Worlds Collide
4 (20%)
The Educated Fool
1 (5%)
Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
1 (5%)
Como Estais Amigos
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: June 14, 2016, 09:28:12 PM

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - Virtual XI - Round 1  (Read 1280 times)

Offline 425

Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - Virtual XI - Round 1
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »

Virtual XI (1998)

Though The X Factor was not particularly well received by critics and fans, and its tour relatively unsuccessful, Maiden rolled on, releasing their second album in the new, Blaze Bayley fronted lineup in 1998. Virtual XI shed its predecessor's dark tone for a brighter, 80s-oriented sound, with a significant keyboard presence on some songs. It may be Iron Maiden's happiest-sounding album, in contrast to the despairing X Factor—one downside of this being that the songs stretched Bayley's natural range far more than the gloomy tracks on the last album. Despite this contrast, Virtual XI's progressiveness is a natural progression from that of its predecessor. It actually sounds quite a bit like a prototype for Brave New World, which makes sense considering that four unused songs from Virtual XI would go on to find a place on that album.

Unfortunately, Virtual XI has not had the same resurgence in popularity that the other Blaze album has had in recent years. Virtual XI remains relatively disliked by all but the most die-hard fans, most of whom still consider it to be one of the band's weakest efforts, despite having a few beloved tracks in The Clansman and Futureal. And commercially, the downward trajectory continued. The album was seen by most fans as a mere shadow of the old Maiden, and the tour was not well-received due to consistent vocal performances from the new frontman (which can in part be blamed on Steve Harris's refusal to tune the older songs down to fit his lower register). After the Virtual XI world tour, Blaze Bayley was dismissed from the band, and the future of Iron Maiden was once again in doubt.

I know no one likes this one that well. And I'm forced to admit that it isn't close to being among their best albums. But I think it's a good album, and they should have no shame about having made this one. It's easily my second favorite 90s Maiden album behind The X Factor. And unlike even a lot of their 80s albums, I think all eight songs are pretty good. I even like the one that no one else likes: The Angel and the Gambler. It's too long, yes. The radio edit is better, but it cuts some of the verses (which are really good), so I'd actually choose the studio version over it. However, this album is so even across the board for me that I think I have to choose this one, despite loving it—the small flaw of over-repetitiveness in this case places it below the rest of the album.

And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Outcrier

Re: Iron Maiden Survivor 2016 - Virtual XI - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:36:47 PM »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »
four unused songs from Virtual XI would go on to find a place on that album. [Brave New World]

Which ones?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline 425

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:51:22 PM »
I believe it was Blood Brothers, The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors and another one. I think The Nomad. Blaze co-wrote Dream of Mirrors.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Futureal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 01:03:35 AM »
I know there will be a massive vote against The Angel and the Gambler, but I too want to reabilitate this song... yes, it's too long and repetitive, but the basic idea was there, the melody and ryhtm were catchy (and so those retro keyboard hits at the beginning) and the slowing down and starting up again thing worked quite well live. It should have been cut down of 3-4 minutes, it would have been way better.

I vote against Como Estais Amigos
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 01:59:37 AM »

Online Mladen

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 04:11:10 AM »
When Two Worlds Collide

A good, underrated album, but it still ends up among my lesser favorites. Also, I believe the leftover songs that ended up on BNW were The Mercenary, Dream of mirrors, The Nomad and another one, that was confirmed by Adrian Smith in an interview. He wasn't able to remember the fourth one, but I think it's The Thin line between love and hate. It probably wasn't Blood brothers, both Steve and Adrian said that one came later.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 04:50:25 AM »
The Angel and the Gambler, while too long and repetitive is still probably top3 on this album which says a lot. I expect Clansman to win it because it's really the only song of note, and it is one of Maiden's finest.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 06:58:12 AM »
I know there will be a massive vote against The Angel and the Gambler, but I too want to reabilitate this song... yes, it's too long and repetitive, but the basic idea was there, the melody and ryhtm were catchy (and so those retro keyboard hits at the beginning) and the slowing down and starting up again thing worked quite well live. It should have been cut down of 3-4 minutes, it would have been way better.

I vote against Como Estais Amigos

See, I agree with basically everything you said there, but then you had to go and vote for the best song on the album.

Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:43 AM »
Yeah, MirrorMask, I totally feel all of that, but I can't vote for Como this early. I suppose I could see myself voting for Lightning Strikes Twice, but that's probably the only other one.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 07:35:55 AM »
I like The Angel and the Gambler.

The Educated Fool
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 04:07:29 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 05:23:41 PM »

From my favorite band, one of the worst songs I have ever heard

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 08:16:05 PM »
I believe it was Blood Brothers, The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors and another one. I think The Nomad. Blaze co-wrote Dream of Mirrors.

Pretty sure this is right.

Angel.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »
A good, underrated album, but it still ends up among my lesser favorites. Also, I believe the leftover songs that ended up on BNW were The Mercenary, Dream of mirrors, The Nomad and another one, that was confirmed by Adrian Smith in an interview. He wasn't able to remember the fourth one, but I think it's The Thin line between love and hate. It probably wasn't Blood brothers, both Steve and Adrian said that one came later.

Mladen doesn't think it was Blood Brothers, and I'm not certain about that one either—I think it could also have been Thin Line. But I'm sure about the other three.
And if spirit's a sign,