Author Topic: Started Collecting Vinyl  (Read 1383 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Started Collecting Vinyl
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:35:16 AM »
Hey all, I recently got rid of all my CD's and traded them for vinyl records in a newly opened record store a few minutes away from campus. It's been an exciting process as my girlfriend and I will often co-purchase records and try new things and whatnot. Well, I've got me a nice little collection right now, and I currently have an Audio-Technica LP60. While I've seen good reviews, I've also noticed some negative things people say, and how it's not "truly" upgrade-able and that it's cheaply made. Well, I've been playing different records, and I noticed some of them play flawlessly, while some are awful. I have a brand new copy of Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails, and I can't even get through the first track because it skips like crazy. I've done some research and a lot of people say it has to do with tracking force and how it skips because there's not enough pressure or something, and how this can happen on newer records. I don't know much about this stuff, as I just got a record player that was affordable AND got pretty good reviews, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should have held off and done some research before buying this player. Also, I got some records used, like Moving Pictures. That one sounds really good and was taken care of, but it does skip on the last track just a little bit, so I'm wondering if it's just the actual record player. However, I got Power Windows by Rush as well and it's got a good amount of wear on it, and I can clearly hear the sound of fried bacon when listening to it, as well as some skipping (Again, could be due to the player). The crackling sound of fried bacon and eggs doesn't necessarily bother me, because I can just as well play it on Spotify if I wanted to. I just wanted to see what you vinyl people thought about the record player I own and if it's worth just investing in something a lot better, and also your take on new vs used records, is it worth buying new or are used ones just fine.

tl;dr: My record player skips like crazy on some of my records, one of them being a brand new, visually clean record.

Oh, and I know vinyl obviously isn't the most practical way of listening to music, but I definitely get the most enjoyment out of this method.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Started Collecting Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:08:35 AM »
First off, my apologies to your bank account!  :lol

I have a brand new copy of Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails, and I can't even get through the first track because it skips like crazy.

Is this the new remaster with the different cover, or did you buy the original version? If it's the remastered one, I can check my copy on my LP60 and see if the same thing happens. I've noticed it skip sometimes but it's rare, and I've never listened to my PHM copy yet.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
First off, my apologies to your bank account!  :lol

I have a brand new copy of Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails, and I can't even get through the first track because it skips like crazy.

Is this the new remaster with the different cover, or did you buy the original version? If it's the remastered one, I can check my copy on my LP60 and see if the same thing happens. I've noticed it skip sometimes but it's rare, and I've never listened to my PHM copy yet.

Mine is the 2011 Remaster. And that would be nice, thanks. It just sucks that I can't even listen to it, all the songs on the first side skip to an extent, but the first track especially.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 12:52:41 PM »
Mine is the 2011 Remaster. And that would be nice, thanks. It just sucks that I can't even listen to it, all the songs on the first side skip to an extent, but the first track especially.

Happy (for me) to report that it plays perfectly. No skips from the first note of "Head Like a Hole" onward. Do they offer replacement parts? Maybe your tone arm is screwed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 03:24:58 PM »
Hey all, I recently got rid of all my CD's and traded them for vinyl records

What??

OK, in related news, I recently got rid of the running water in my house and traded it for a nice pump and well in my back yard.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 03:32:12 PM »
and you traded in your entire cd collection for a limited edition boxed set of winger cassette tapes  :corn

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
No use for my CDs. They collect dust. I've already ripped them to my PC and they're backed up.

Happy (for me) to report that it plays perfectly. No skips from the first note of "Head Like a Hole" onward. Do they offer replacement parts? Maybe your tone arm is screwed.

That's good to hear, I looked and I thought i found something before but I need to check again.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »
and you traded in your entire cd collection for a limited edition boxed set of winger cassette tapes  :corn
;D

That's just wrong on so many levels!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 07:13:27 PM »
;D

That's just wrong on so many levels!

Yes, we know.  :lol

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »
Hey all, I recently got rid of all my CD's and traded them for vinyl records in a newly opened record store a few minutes away from campus. It's been an exciting process as my girlfriend and I will often co-purchase records and try new things and whatnot. Well, I've got me a nice little collection right now, and I currently have an Audio-Technica LP60. While I've seen good reviews, I've also noticed some negative things people say, and how it's not "truly" upgrade-able and that it's cheaply made. Well, I've been playing different records, and I noticed some of them play flawlessly, while some are awful. I have a brand new copy of Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails, and I can't even get through the first track because it skips like crazy. I've done some research and a lot of people say it has to do with tracking force and how it skips because there's not enough pressure or something, and how this can happen on newer records. I don't know much about this stuff, as I just got a record player that was affordable AND got pretty good reviews, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should have held off and done some research before buying this player. Also, I got some records used, like Moving Pictures. That one sounds really good and was taken care of, but it does skip on the last track just a little bit, so I'm wondering if it's just the actual record player. However, I got Power Windows by Rush as well and it's got a good amount of wear on it, and I can clearly hear the sound of fried bacon when listening to it, as well as some skipping (Again, could be due to the player). The crackling sound of fried bacon and eggs doesn't necessarily bother me, because I can just as well play it on Spotify if I wanted to. I just wanted to see what you vinyl people thought about the record player I own and if it's worth just investing in something a lot better, and also your take on new vs used records, is it worth buying new or are used ones just fine.

tl;dr: My record player skips like crazy on some of my records, one of them being a brand new, visually clean record.

Oh, and I know vinyl obviously isn't the most practical way of listening to music, but I definitely get the most enjoyment out of this method.

I still put on my vinyles on. I used to have about 500 of them but for some crazy idea, i sold half of them in garage sales in the early 2000's.

It's like a ritual listening to an album that way. I think you should get rid of your turntable for something new. You will keep it for the rest of your life. I still have my Akai from 1979. From Time to time I buy vinyles but only brand new. Then it's perfect. I would not enjoy hearing all sorts of noise from scratches and stuff.

In the old days, I bought so many records that I had not really heard except the catchy single that I ended up with a lot of average albums. Of course, their were a lot of classics too. So maybe just be selective in your choices. Today we all can listen to an album on the net before buying it. And go for a new one as much as it is possible for you. Good listens.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 07:50:14 PM »
I've got 200 70's/ albums 80's Classic/Hard Rock in my attic that anyone can have for free!  ;D

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »
I got Close To The Edge used for 9 bucks, and it's in really good shape!