Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 119947 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: #4! (NOT QUITE GOOD ENOUGH)
« Reply #1785 on: August 23, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
Angel is definitely 18/20 wtf

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1786 on: August 23, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »
all a man can do is pretty good tbh that's fair

Dunno flaming row at all tho guess I should listen to it

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1787 on: August 23, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
So the top 5 songs of the round is not on the top three EPs. That's funny
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1788 on: August 23, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »
My EP is almost certainly propped up by flow points, I'll be surprised by anything less than 9 for flow   :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1789 on: August 23, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
Cool EP, there are some bands I want to check myself. I may even listen to your EP while exercising for my math exam (which is in two weeks and I'm already scared :'(
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1790 on: August 23, 2016, 02:43:31 PM »
actually pretty sure #3 is me though because there are a lot of low ranking songs left and no good rankings left so

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1791 on: August 23, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
I would be lying if I said that I didn't at least consider my EP tanking, but I'm glad that you liked Kirlian Camera and Floex, at least. Shame about Daft Punk, but oh well.

I'm glad that I at least took a risk instead of going with something safe. Thanks for having me, in any case.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: August 23, 2016, 05:58:33 PM »
this forum needs more electronic music tbh

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1793 on: August 23, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »
this forum needs more electronic music tbh
fo sho, been getting a lot of really good electronic music this roulette and I do really appreciate it.

I would be lying if I said that I didn't at least consider my EP tanking, but I'm glad that you liked Kirlian Camera and Floex, at least. Shame about Daft Punk, but oh well.

I'm glad that I at least took a risk instead of going with something safe. Thanks for having me, in any case.
Yeah, it's a shame, really didn't go in expecting to like Daft Punk that much but atleast I got some enjoyment out of it at times. Just not really my music I guess. Thanks a million for Kirlian Camera especially, will be checking them (him/her?) out a lot for sure.

Will post the #3 within the next 20 minutes or so.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: #3! (IDK what to name this thread)
« Reply #1794 on: August 23, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »
the birds can't sing a song today

Parama: Reverberating Voices of the Celestial Choir
(Alternative title: Gimme That 2016 Bonus Point)

First impression/thoughts:
Going into this I really had no idea of what to expect, you probably had the widest array of styles put into your submissions over the past 9 rounds but they did for the most part all have in common that they were either emotionally crushing, just super-chill or a combination of both. The flow is actually pretty fucking good, I barely noticed the transition from Lucette Stranded.. into Chlorine & Wine, the epic 13 and a half minute conclusion by Vektor gives it a good purpose to stay interested for the entire duration and everything just falls into place. I think, based on just my first impressions, that it’s a pretty well-thought out EP and it flows surprisingly well for the list of songs I’m seeing here. Now.. onto the individual song scorings:

Eight Bells – Hating

There’s a certain somber kind of mood to that main riff and even though it comes across as pretty samey the first couple of listens, the song definitely develops during its entire runtime. The vocals are minimal, but that’s completely fine here because everything is a bit on the slow minimalistic side of things. Vocals are present when needed, with a good slow vibe that fits to the instruments, and absent when the instruments need to take over the attention.

The last minute of the song would bore me if it was a single submission, it’s a nice suspenseful outro/interlude but on its own pretty useless, but it lines up with the Julia Holter song pretty smoothly. Not just because of the grandmaster-level crossfade mixing, but because both kind of have this calm breezy atmosphere.

Thinking about it, this song would fit pretty well on Tomislav’s EP, I might even have liked it slightly better on there, maybe it could've replaced one of the songs on there. Anyway this song is solid enough, not rocking my socks off but it’s fine for an EP opener to still be kind of humble and wait for the rest of the music to blow me away.

16/20 #22 out of 38

Julia Holter – Lucette Stranded on the Island

I would lie if I said that I expected anything like this from you. It’s.. weirdly fitting in pretty well with the EP, but as a separate song, I’m really not a fan of this. I gotta admit that the amount of instantly noticable layers of different types of sound is pretty great, it keeps the track interesting to some degree, but the way this goes on for almost 7 minutes and basically achieves nothing in that runtime to my ears is offputting, I especially feel that way during the “the birds can sing a song“ section, it just rubs me the wrong way and I feel like I’m probably missing out big time according to you. It’s the kind of repetition in music I’d rather not have as I feel like I’ve gotten everything out of it after the first 20 times I heard it.

12/20 #37 out of 38

Baroness – Chlorine & Wine

I’m not minding the production at all, in fact I think it’s pretty great here. Kind of transitions the overall EP mood from that calm Julia Holter song into a rawer sound as we get closer to the big climax which is about as heavy and agressive as it gets. So Baroness seems to be an ongoing trend in this roulette, I’ve tried them out a couple times before but the vocals always put me off, but now that I’ve listened to Tomislav’s EP quite frequently I think I ‘get‘ it now, that EP was really built around the raw sludge/rock side of the musical spectrum for the most part, so in that sense he actually helped you do better with this song. :lol

I feel like the climax, or peak of the song, is the middle instrumental section (around 4 minutes), I don’t feel the same way about the ending of the song as you do, but that guitar line is pretty tasty anyways, probably the highlight of the song for me. Out of all three, this is my least favorite Baroness song and you probably think I’m abysmal because of it, but it is what it is, still a good song though and I’m convinced that I should go check out Baroness.

15.5/20 #25 out of 38

Inter Arma – Potomac

Well I can’t deny that this works. It’s a good introduction to the Vektor epic and frankly, works pretty well with the Baroness song aswell. It has a slightly different tone to it of course (for starters there’s no thrashcore vocals or whatever they’re called) and makes for a somewhat awkward transition but eh that’s going to happen when you have a Vektor song on your EP one way or another.

Though I feel what this instrumental would benefit from is some more riffs and melodies because apart from the inclusion of a piano every now and then, I just hear the same drums over and over and over with a (pretty cool) lead guitar taking the attention most of the time, especially the intro and outro have some awesome emotional guitarwork going on, but apart from that I feel most of it is a bit overdone and it makes it slightly less appealing on consecutive listens, but it’s still a cool ‘calm before the storm‘ type of track and I enjoy its inclusion in the EP.

15.5 #28 out of 38

Vektor – Recharging the Void

Out of the many many songs I received this round this was very likely the one I looked forward to hearing the most. It’s just a cool way to structure the EP, just looking at the song lengths made me excited, four mid-length songs all building up to this near-14 minute epic.

Most of all, these vocals reminded me of Chthonic, which, once I made the connection, made it easier for me to get through them and digest them, it really is a cool approach to thrashmetal that I find interesting enough to be checking out, some more traditional thrashmetal bands like Testament I still find pretty rad, but it’s the experimental aspect of this Vektor song that really does it for me, there’s probably not a single album remotely close to the style of this.

Have said this before about many other songs but I just love when there’s good amounts of tasteful guitar melodies during the verses of songs like this, it gives me the option to divide my attention between the vocals and guitar perfectly, it made it way easier to digest this song and slowly but surely getting used to the vox.

In the end I think I wanted to like it more than I did, and I really thought of this as a ‘love it or hate it‘ type of band, but I’m still liking it a lot. The quiet parts with the female vocals in the background are great, as are the balls to the wall agressive “recharging the void“ screams (pretty much the only words I could make out tbh :lol). And the finale is actually really good, I love these grand endings with backing vocals.

I’m still a bit skeptical about an entire album of this but I sure would like to give it a try, cool entry.

16.5/20 #17 out of 38

Right off the bat I thought you nailed it on the flow/additional score department, it was a really well-thought out EP (or atleast it seemed that way), but soon enough I felt like I didn’t quite like the individual songs enough to pull you through to the #1 spot, some songs started to become slightly worse over time, some became better. There’s no denying that Julia Holter put you on a backfoot, and well you probably knew that it was somewhat of a risk but I appreciate the balls (I always do :neverusethis:).

Score:

For flow and additional score I guess you’ll get 8 points, the only thing transition I don’t fully support yet is the Inter Arma > Vektor one and there’s some minor issues that partially got fixed by crossfades but that’s bound to happen when you compile an EP of artists with no relevance to eachother anyway. Also, despite the Julia Holter song really being a miss this EP was still a pleasure to listen to, it didn't even feel out of place.

Your score average comes in at 15.1, so that makes: 15.1 + 8 = 23.1 (+ 3.0 ) = 26.1

I won't be updating the rankings and standings right now because I'm going to sleep right away, I'll do all of this tomorrow when I finish the writeups for the two finalists, which will be posted before I leave so that should be within like 10 hours from now at latest. It'll be Elite taking on Tomislav, who will be the new Train of Naught roulette champion, knocking 425 off his throne?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: #3 (IDK what to name this thread)
« Reply #1795 on: August 23, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »
aside from being outright wrong on Julia Holter and also on chlorine and wine being your least favorite of the three baroness songs I'm okay with this

grats tomislav, from the writeups on my song you're basically a guaranteed win at this point he loved your ep  :lol

and if I can get third place in your roulette by not even paying your tastes more than a passing glance I'm pretty okay with that too  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1796 on: August 23, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
tbh Chlorine & Wine is my favorite out of those three Baroness songs :lol but good thing I swapped it with Try to Disappear :P
aside from being outright wrong on Julia Holter and also on chlorine and wine being your least favorite of the three baroness songs I'm okay with this

grats tomislav, from the writeups on my song you're basically a guaranteed win at this point he loved your ep  :lol

and if I can get third place in your roulette by not even paying your tastes more than a passing glance I'm pretty okay with that too  :corn
Well, he loved all of our EPs :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1797 on: August 23, 2016, 07:21:05 PM »
try to disappear is easily my least favorite off purple but probably not my least favorite baroness track overall

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1798 on: August 23, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
pfff Try to Disappear is really cool song. It's not my favorite but I don't think there's anything not to like.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1799 on: August 23, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »
it just kinda annoys me tbh. but it's better than the total abortion that is psalms alive

Offline 425

Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: (ZANTERA/SACUL TIED FOR THE #6 SPOT)
« Reply #1800 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:47 PM »
425 liked War's End, I think it might have even won the round - at the very least, it scored very high. Plus, I haven't given up hope on people actually having taste. :P

Yeah, I really liked it! I thought it had a good vibe with the cello and everything, and I recall thinking it was pretty emotional as well. It got a 9.0 from me and was the round winner in terms of raw score (it tied with Buzzcut Season once the bonus was taken into consideration). I should get that album soon.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1801 on: August 23, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »
Kinda thought I might be able to snatch third, but oh well. But yeah, once I had to replace Lonesome Clown and noticed the lack of Flaming Row I pretty much had to throw at least one song in there (I also considered the same two songs that Rich used :lol) even if I thought it hurt the flow a little bit. As for the Bjorn Riis song, the purpose behind that was to have something lighter towards the end because other than the intro track the EP was looking very full-on for the whole 39 or so minutes (especially when Lonesome Clown was in there).

Still, cool roulette, thanks for having me, see you when it's v3 time.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1802 on: August 23, 2016, 10:25:14 PM »
Wow, and to think I wanted to send Rage of Despair in Round 6 and went with Blackmore's Night instead. :facepalm:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1803 on: August 24, 2016, 01:24:18 AM »
Yeah everyone went for the (nearly) full 40 minutes, that kinda surprised me but anyways I can't complain since it's more music.

I'll post the final two in a couple hours, still have to do writeups for one of them and I have some other shit to do to prepare for the day aswell.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1804 on: August 24, 2016, 01:26:55 AM »
fun fact, my EP was exactly 40 minutes on the dot before i added all the crossfades

also yeah i'll def agree the last transition isn't very smooth but w/e not much i could've done about that one tbh, it was just coincidentally convenient for every other song, but there wasn't a good way to make the last one work

i could've stitched together a bit more of the intro of The Paradise Gallows because it's in a pretty close tempo to the start of recharging the void, but

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1805 on: August 24, 2016, 01:28:19 AM »
fun fact, my EP was exactly 40 minutes on the dot before i added all the crossfades
it was more 'fun' the first time you told me

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1806 on: August 24, 2016, 01:31:50 AM »
i didn't tell everyone else though  :corn

also i tried that alternate idea, it doesn't work very well, o well. i did my best

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1807 on: August 24, 2016, 01:36:34 AM »
#01: Flaming Row - Rage of Despair (Bolsters)
#02: Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film) (Sacul)
#03: Rammstein - Feuer Frei (Sacul)
#04: Kirlian Camera - Drifting (Scorpion)
#05: Beyond the Bridge - All a Man Can Do (Bolsters)
#06:
#07:
#08: Bjorn Riis - Stay Calm (Bolsters)
#09:
#10:
#11:
#12: Amadeus Awad - Sleep Paralysis (Bolsters)
#13:
#14:
#15: Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers (Sacul)
#16: Caravan Palace - Dragons (Scorpion)
#17: Vektor - Recharging the Void (Parama)
#18: Floex - Nel Blue (Scorpion)
#19: Nine Inch Nails - Starfuckers, Inc. (Sacul)
#20: Caravan Palace - La Caravane (Scorpion)
#21:
#22: Eight Bells - Hating (Parama)
#23:
#24:
#25: Baroness - Chlorine & Wine (Parama)
#26: Acke Hallgren - Interlude (Bolsters)
#27: Nine Inch Nails - The Hand That Feeds (Sacul)
#28: Inter Arma - Potomac (Parama)
#29:
#30: Massive Attack - Angel (Scorpion)
#31: Nine Inch Nails - Various Methods of Escape (Sacul)
#32:
#33: Acke Hallgren - By Omission (Bolsters)
#34: Daft Punk - Television Rules the Nation / Around the World / Harder Better Faster Stronger (Scorpion)
#35:
#36: Faith No More - Caffeine (Sacul)
#37: Julia Holter - Lucette Stranded on the Island (Parama)
#38: Radiohead - The National Anthem (Sacul)

forgot this oops
Standings:
3. Parama - 26.1
4. Bolsters - 24.5
5. Scorpion - 23.2

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1808 on: August 24, 2016, 02:29:13 AM »
^ alright, let's fill in the blanks on that list.

Tomi has two Baroness tracks scoring high, but looking at Rage of Despair's score, I'm pretty sure both my Flaming Row tracks can get a high score as well. I don't really know any of the tracks Tomi sent, so I can't guess where they will go, but looking at the way Train scores the EPs, I think my flow is pretty damn good (but again, I can't say anything about Tomi's), but I can imagine that if Meshuggah is not your thing, a 10-minute song to close it off is hard to digest.

Then again, the way Train scores makes it more 'forgiving' if there is a tanker in the EP when you have more songs (because he takes averages). There's a couple of songs that tanked relatively (#29, #32 and #35) and I think the distribution of these tracks between our two EPs is about even (2 on one, 1 on the other), but since my EP probably can't suffer two tanking songs due to there being less tracks on it, I'm saying Tomi has two out of the three 'worst' songs left, and I have the other - and it will be the Voyager track from me.

Could be a close race, really. Any of us could win :)

Just for reference, here's the two EPs sent by Tomi and me:

Feel The Electricity (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Make the EP) (Tomislav)
1. The Sword - Acheron/Unearthing the Orb
2. The Sword - How Heavy This Axe
3. Corrosion of Conformity - Albatross
4. Russian Circles - Death Rides a Horse
5. Red Fang - Wires
6. Baroness - Try To Disappear
7. Baroness - Eula

Fragments of Metal - An EP for Trains (Elite)
1. Anna von Hausswolff - Discovery
2. Flaming Row – Nightingales Chirp
3. Voyager - Misery Is Only Company
4. Shining - Fisheye
5. Flaming Row – Time Mirror
6. Meshuggah - Dancers to a Discordant System

---

hey, I'm still in as well. Am I the underdog now? :lol

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1809 on: August 24, 2016, 02:34:45 AM »
I still think Albatross will be one of those worst rated(#35). Classic filler for my EP :P
I don't know any of your songs but Dancers, and it is a damn good song but maybe hard to digest, yes.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE
« Reply #1810 on: August 24, 2016, 03:14:54 AM »
Elite: Fragments of Metal – An EP for Trains

With a fairly long EP opener I feel like this EP is the one that feels like it takes the longest to really get going, whch could be good or bad. In this case, I’m not sure, I really feel like the Anna von Hausswolff song shouldn’t have been on this particular EP as of now, I don’t mind the long buildup at all and I think the hauning vibe the vocals give off are great but right after it comes this catchy multi-vocalist progmetal song... followed by another catchy progmetal song :lol and it just tells me that it could’ve done with maybe a cool short interlude of sorts, instead of the Anna von Hausswolff intro.

That aside, I see that your goal was to build the EP around Fisheye, and I wasn’t really feeling that song but still sure it would need more listens to become better, it reminds me of the Slipknot demo days (Mate Feed Kill Repeat) somehow, not quite as experimental though I don’t know a lot of music that is. I don’t have any major issues with the flow, particularly thought Meshuggah would cause some problems on that ground, but this particular Meshuggah song doesn’t sound quite as poundingly agressive as say, Bleed, for instance.

Anna von Hausswolff – Discovery

Eh, the song takes a really long time to get going, I’m fine with that, it’s a calm intro to the EP and slowly builds to.. something. I don’t even feel like the pay-off at the end of this song is that great, the vocals are quite unusual and hard to get used to, I do feel it became better over time but it’s still my least favorite of your EP.

The first half of the song is a very solid instrumental EP opener, as I’m not a huge fan of the vocals I guess I shouldn’t bother with this chick but I do have to applaud the ability of them/her to create a good dark atmosphere.

13/20 #35 out of 38

Flaming Row – Nightingales Chirp

This band is turning out to be one of the most diverse of the roulette from what I’ve heard so far. First I got to see some progressive metalcore kind of influences in Bolsters‘ song and now here’s this super catchy song with the female vocals being the main focus.

I think you said the Voyager song was your most catchy entry but I feel like this one beats it out, this is the chorus I instantly remind myself of when I think of the EP. There’s all kinds of cool stuff though, from the funky bassline in the pre-chorus to the tasty guitarwork in general, this is one of the highpoints of the EP for sure.

17/20 #14 out of 38

Voyager – Misery Is Only Company

Yeah, so I’m pretty sure I’ve listened to “V“ a few times and I liked it, but I have somehow just forgot about the band and album and never explored them further.

What a mistake that was. I thought I already knew the best poppy progmetal stuff but this proves me wrong, this is a wonderful song. Some of the lines are really catchy, as are the rhythms in the verses, and that wonderful falsetto in the chorus is so memorable that it has become one of the many staple Train v2 roulette choruses. It's pretty much an essential prog metal tune, they don't experiment much as it's pretty predictable after a listen or two, but in that sense it's a great, catchy song.

17/20 #9 out of 38

Shining – Fisheye

ONE-THREE-SEVEN-FIVE, FISHEYE FISHEYE

I dunno man, I’ve seen this song many times in recent roulette and so I checked it out once, I believe I put it off halfway through because it just bored me. But these guys are insane, I love it. It’s not quite like any of the weird chaotic music I listen to but it’s sparked my interest alright. Saw some Shining CD’s in the record store the other day and was tempted to buy one but they didn’t have Blackjazz so I decided to wait until I’ve made a decision, or maybe you have a suggestion of your own.

Anyway, the sax is pretty cool and reminds me of Ihsahn as it’s the same vibe, a very chaotic saxophone in a heavy setting. But the highlight of this song and probably my favorite part of the entire EP is when the blastbeat kicks in, everything falls into place and all the insanity of this track is released.

18/20 #6 out of 38

Flaming Row – Time Mirror

After hearing two amazing Flaming Row songs this one falls a bit flat in comparison but is still a really good song. What I do like more here than on any of the other Flaming Row songs is the switch-offs between the different vocalists and vocal styles. It also has the cool heavy instrumental section to set it apart from the crowd, with some great grooves and various instruments. The chorus is probably the main reason I don't like it quite as much as the others but it's still great.

16/20 #24 out of 38

Meshuggah – Dancers to a Discordant System

Comparing this to the Meshuggah songs I’ve heard I actually found it fairly easy to digest. It’s not as straight-up agressive as some of their other songs and instead has some dark Tool-vibe going on in the verses. But when it finally blasts out, man does it djent. I noticed that the new DTP song “Failure“ has a stylistically similar guitar tone in the solo, and it’s a really cool hypnotizing tone that apparently isn’t only featured in the Bleed solo, I thought it was a one time thing. You mentioned resemblances to TMV but really I mostly think of a heavy alternative of Tool. The heavier parts are definitely my favorites though, so I guess I won’t have any problems getting into Meshuggah. :lol No idea why I used to hate their music so much.

Overall a really strong closer, it didn’t quite live up to the highs of the core section of your EP but then again, that was quite a high standard to live up to.

16.5/20 #11 out of 38

Man, I was not impressed with this EP after my first listen according to those notes :lol but it has become so good over the past few days, everything has fallen into place and it's definitely worthy of the finals.

With the ever-so-slim score differentials in this round I’m pleasantly surprised you managed to get this far, with probably my favorite EP of the round despite not being #1, just because it had the most fantastic songs on it with only one clunker. The way I score these probably wasn’t very favourable for you in the long run because Anna von Hausswolff takes down the average by quite a bit, but eh, no way to foresee that when sending.

Also you get 9 out of 10 additional points, the flow is not “perfect“ to be honest, there’s some awkward changes like Anna von Hausswolff into Flaming Row and Shining into Flaming Row for instance, but the overall replay value of this one is what carried me over, it deserved the #2 spot for sure. Thanks for playing, hope you can live with this placement! :tup

So that makes: 16.25 + 9 = 25.25 (+ 1.25) = 26.5

Tomislav95: Feel the Electricity (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Make the EP)

To me this looks like an EP chockfull of typical Tomislav material, the part of your music collection that I’ve really yet to see in this roulette. I mean, I know you’re a huge Mastodon fan so it was only a matter of time before I got some good sludge metal or anything of the like. And it’s all around a properly composed EP with good flow, nothing to really complain about on that count. I think it’s hard to completely miss the bar with sludge metal and stoner rock and whatnot. I certainly felt like it became a little less interesting with the Russian Circles track, felt like a bit of a drag. But there’s this overall catchiness and urge to replay the EP to it that makes it stand out. I’ve gotten a wide array of styles in this last round but I feel like this EP is the most well-rounded one. Mostly focusing on one style and expanding a bit more on it towards the end, but without straying away from the main topic.

Interesting how you chose not to follow up the instrumental with the next The Sword song of that same album, they seem to have a very defining sound that makes this not an issue at all though, their songs probably work together in almost any order since it’s mostly the vibe they give off that connects the song, opposed to a smooth crossfade or something.

The Sword – Acheron/Unearthing the Orb

This starts off rocking with a cool instrumental by The Sword, I didn’t expect something this heavy from them actually. I feel like in just under 4 minutes it still manages to overstay its welcome a bit near the end but the grooves really seal the deal for me, it’s a great way to open the EP and still leaves me wanting to hear some more of The Sword. With that said, let’s move on to the next The Sword song.

16/20 #23 out of 38

The Sword – How Heavy This Axe

And I guess I’m not a huge fan of this band actually, the instrumental was cool but I can’t say I’m loving the vocals. Sounds like a weaker version of Kyuss to me or something. I really don't have much to say, it has some cool guitar leads, some (very loud) cymbals that don't sound particularly welcoming and the vocals are fine but not standing out in the best way possible. In the verses I actually think they're pretty good, but as the song goes on and we move towards the chorus he starts to get harder to understand and more distant, I thought that these types of vocals were reserved for cheap production black metal. :lol

15/20 #29 out of 38

Corrosion of Conformity – Albatross

Man, this track brings up so many childhood memories. I believe it was featured on Guitar Hero: Metallica and despite not being into this type of rock music at all I always found it to be a cool groovy song, I was always especially drawn to the line “I was born a liar“ because it had such a cool funky edge to it. The song ends before it becomes too much of the same and every time it does it keeps me interested enough in the rest of the EP while still having my main focus on this song. At this point I’m just happy that you manage to tone down the EP slightly in terms of pace but you didn’t make any drastic stylistical change to it, going from The Sword to Corrosion of Conformity.

17.5/20 #7 out of 38

Russian Circles – Death Rides a Horse

This is the only song on the EP that I feel is slightly misplaced, but only slightly. It may stylistically sound a bit similar but I just feel like an instrumental in general on this EP feels out of place (I’m aware of Acheron but it’s different since that’s the opener) and should’ve been cut entirely or replaced by maybe another (slightly more fast-paced) Corrosion of Conformity song to still keep the flow going. That said, it’s still a pretty good connecting piece between the first and second half of the EP, I find myself waiting for the last three tracks to kick in right when this song begins though, it has some cool riffs and hooks, but overall it’s a bit stale-sounding and nothing really stands out.

14/20 #32 out of 38

Red Fang – Wires

This one really reminded me of Kyuss, a lot. It has the simple rhythm section going on, a good basis for a song like this, and then the vocals are just identical, aswell as the phrasing on some of the words sung.

It’s a good safe entry and I actually ended up enjoying it more as I started to familiarize myself more with the EP, being the first song of a great humble EP conclusion (meaning you didn’t go with some crazy long epic tune but instead played it fairly safe).

16.5/20 #13 out of 38

Baroness – Try to Disappear

I can’t believe Parama dislikes this one as much as he does! Maybe it’s a bit formulaic for a Baroness song or something? Anyway, all I hear is a very awesome catchy chorus that had been stuck in my head the other day pretty much the entire day :lol and the vocal delivery in the chorus just makes it very pleasurable to listen to.

On top of that, I think the halfway-frantic drums in some parts of this song are a nice touch to it, and it slowly starts to transition into a cool groovy instrumental section which I think is great too. Don’t get me wrong, this is not one of my favorites, but it’s atleast a very good track and one that convinces me to check out the band.

16/20 #21 out of 38

Baroness – Eula

And as the final song of your EP this comes in as the shortest one of the round (not counting Sacul), everyone sent an epic of sorts, or a long album closer, but not you. I like it because while you end off with two Baroness songs they don’t particularly sound alike, and they still very much have their own identity. The first one was a catchy rocker and this one has more of a beautiful closer type of thing going on. There’s some catchy lines here and there and they don’t repeat them too often to the point where it gets boring, but the main reason why I love this song is how that synth solo section ties together the EP in a pretty hectic finale, when it continues along with the vocals “Settle down!“ it suddenly becomes one of the most epic tunes in the round, and that’s not an easy job to accomplish considering some of the tunes it’s competing with (Vektor, Beyond the Bridge, Bjorn Riis, Radiohead’s Exit Music, just to name a few).

17/20 #10 out of 38

I’m going to add everything up now but I’m pretty sure you’ve won this. :tup

With easily the EP that stayed to the main topic the closest it’s safe to say there’s not much to complain about flow. I think my only minor gripe is the Russian Circles instrumental. Similar to Flaming Row, I like how I got to see different sides of Baroness in this round and I see why you guys sent it, there’s some really strong material between these bands. A bit impartial to The Sword as I mainly liked the instrumental and I still wasn’t head over heels on that one. But it has nothing to do with the flow, you still did very well on that department.

You get 8.5 out of 10 additional points aswell, so with an average score of exactly 16, that makes: 16 + 8 = 25.0 (+3.5) = 28.0

Standings
1. Tomislav95 - 28.0
2. Elite - 26.5
3. Parama - 26.1
4. Bolsters - 24.5
5. Scorpion - 23.2

So the winner is Tomislav95!! Congrats dude. In the end you mainly won because of your performance/point lead of the first 9 rounds, but deservedly so. Your best material was in those rounds, and you played it fairly safe in this final EP, with no need to really do more than that. Elite had a killer EP but it just wasn't quite enouh to win it.

Thank you all for playing in my v2, I'm glad with how I runned both of my roulettes but in the end I think this one was a little smoother, I also felt like people had a better idea of my tastes and scores were a little more consistent.

I may become a little less active on DTF in the upcoming weeks, I've kinda burned out for now because all of the roulette hosting and stuff and will most likely just chill out with some of my new music. I also think things may get a little busier in the upcoming weeks with the start of the new school year and stuff. I'll still participate in roulettes though :tup but may not be as active in the threads.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1811 on: August 24, 2016, 03:31:21 AM »
Alright, that was it then :)

At least I won the EP round with the best EP :angel:

Also, you should have mentioned Anna von Hausswolff was a replacement on this EP. I love her music, but the build-up is probably not as good as it is on the album I took the track from. Looking back at the list of tracks I had lined up for the EP round, I might have been better off with a different track in its place, but it doesn't matter now.

---

Congrats Tomislav and thanks for having me. And definitely do check out that Falming Row album.

oh, and by the way. At the end of september Intronaut/Shining/Obsidian Kingdom play two dates in the Netherlands. I'm considering going :)
Squ

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1812 on: August 24, 2016, 03:33:33 AM »
Nice, congrats Tomislav. I was rooting for Bolsters but oh well.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1813 on: August 24, 2016, 03:41:49 AM »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1814 on: August 24, 2016, 03:45:18 AM »
oh, and by the way. At the end of september Intronaut/Shining/Obsidian Kingdom play two dates in the Netherlands. I'm considering going :)
Wow! That's awesome. They also happen to play at Patronaat which is pretty much next to my future home, hope to have moved in there by then. I think I'll go.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1815 on: August 24, 2016, 04:00:39 AM »
Thank you, guys :) and thank you ToN for giving me good scores, right :P I'm genuinely happy :woot:
This was the most fun roulette ever, maybe because it was the only one where I wasn't eliminated :P
Also, can't believe Albatross was your favorite song of my EP, it was literally a filler :lol

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1816 on: August 24, 2016, 05:49:06 AM »
Congratulations Tomislav!  :D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1817 on: August 24, 2016, 08:46:03 AM »
congra

eula is pretty good tho yeah

also wow i remember that coc song now from the metallica land

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: August 24, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1819 on: August 24, 2016, 05:09:40 PM »
don't think for a second that I'll ever forgive you for giving me the lowest base ep score even if it was only by 0.1 though  :corn  :corn  :corn