Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 122561 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 6 TIDBITS)
« Reply #1085 on: July 21, 2016, 02:00:59 AM »
Ready for my 5.5/10!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1086 on: July 21, 2016, 02:12:40 AM »
To my surprise there's only one 5.5 in the works and nothing below that.

I still feel like I'm a bit too forgiving with some of the lower scores some of the time but eh
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: July 21, 2016, 02:19:39 AM »
If I get 5.5 you will get cheesy power metal in Round 7. Just saying.

Oh and I still have the right to send a long song, so it's going to be a lot of cheesy power metal.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1088 on: July 21, 2016, 02:26:31 AM »
I'm calling my lowest score so far!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1089 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:38 AM »
you will get cheesy power metal in Round 7. Just saying.

Oh and I still have the right to send a long song, so it's going to be a lot of cheesy power metal.
I literally wrote all of this in my writeup for you yesterday :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: July 21, 2016, 02:29:09 AM »
There's still time to avoid that, you know. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal (ROUND 6 RESULTS)
« Reply #1091 on: July 21, 2016, 03:45:49 AM »
There's still time to avoid that, you know. :lol
I'm actually looking forward to it tho

Round 6 Results

Parama: This Will Destroy You – Villa Del Refugio

Yes, you read my tastes section perfectly fine, I have absolutely never fully enjoyed any full-on ambient whatsoever and sending it would be a huge risk. Great pick! :neverusethis:

This was actually the “Sounds a bit stale, been meaning to skip this one several times“ tidbit but it has grown on me quite a bit since, for reasons I don’t really want to mention here in public. I can never completely bash on a song, I will almost always find enjoyment in a song one way or another, and during the first listen here I really dug the glitches, they give off a sense of surrealness or something like that. Feels like I’m listening to the background of one of the most depressing movie scenes ever.

So yeah I’ve definitely come to appreciate this more and would likely listen to an album full of this, if only to just relax and drift away into my ever so interesting thoughts.

7.5 + (1.0) = 8.5/10

Scorpion: Orphaned Land – Ocean Land (The Revelation)

The intro alone reminds me of a lot of different bands, but mainly Opeth, the similarities are very clear. I said that this was the first band that came to mind when implementing the world music bonus, and for good reason: I imagined a Myrath-like band with mixed vocals, and that’s pretty much what I got.

Not to nag, but I can’t help but think the vocals overall would be better if the harsh vocals, in the first verse specifically, were phrased differently. I guess the fans of Orphaned Land like them this way but it feels a bit odd to me, they sound way more devil-ish (for lack of a better word) than I woulda liked them there. BUT, the song quickly becomes fucking amazing with that chorus, it has its eastern-oriental elements, the ever present Opeth roots and great guitarwork in the background.

I’m also glad they went with a pretty concise format here, they don’t milk out the chorus by repeating it like 5 times and the song ends before it becomes old, exactly how I wanted it. I’ll be checking out this band!

8.25 + (1.0) = 9.25/10

Twosuitsluke: Capdown – Pound for the Sound

Well, none of the tidbits was about your song, you were correct. This song was so odd that anything I would’ve written about it would’ve been a dead giveaway. :lol

After my first round of listening I said how disappointed I was with the round overall, but this one was more of a middleground entry. Despite the weird (and somewhat repetitive) trumpet-section that returns pretty much anytime they feel like it, the ska-vocals I’m all but used to and the combination of ska and metalcore (?), I can’t really say it felt that weird listening to this song, which in itself, is pretty weird... :P

Anyway this is one of the songs that I’ve felt pretty much the same about after the first listen as I do now, it’s solid enough to get through but I don’t know if this is something I would listen to in my freetime. As expected I do like the metal breakdown sections more than the ska sections.

7.0/10

Elite: Pain of Salvation – Hallelujah

Here goes, a PoS cover of a song I’m well familiar with.

And I couldn’t have wished for a better band to cover it. I’ve heard tons of great singers cover this, Myles Kennedy (one of my alltime favorites) and Jeff Buckley primarily, but the almost melo-dramatic tone of Daniel Gildenlow makes this a perfect fit. This guy is the man, I can see why everyone praises this band and why so many people would pick him as the singer when imagining a fantasy progmetal supergroup. I love how when the chorus kicks in he goes very quiet and shortly after they unleash all the instruments and the song cracks open.

Coming in at 9 minutes, you gotta wonder how they’ll fill that space. And well, that guitar solo absolutely slays, but with a song like Hallelujah it’s obvious that the spotlight remains on Daniel at all times. So, I’ve only heard BE and parts of Remedy Lane, which album should I continue with, Remedy Lane or the TPE’s?

8.5 + (1.0) = 9.5/10

Home: Pink Floyd – Julia Dream

I just love this attitude, you could’ve gone with anything off WYWH, Animals, The Wall or whatever, but you go with this somewhat ‘obscure‘ 2 and a half minute track off an album I never heard of.

It’s a very simple track, but the haunting vibe here is really beautiful. It sounds really dark and the vocals really fit with that style. The flute is a nice little addition aswell, adds to the dark feel off the intro and the chorus. Similar to the Blackfield song there’s some very simplistic melodies that work amazingly well, goes to show you that there’s no need to come up with crazy timesignatures and polyrhythms to be original if you are a musical mastermind. Definitely your best sub-3 minute song :P

8.0 + (1.0) = 9.0

Evermind: Blackmore’s Night - Village Lanterne

I lvoe the acoustic intro, to begin with. But while none of the tidbits was about your song, I wasn’t very positive towards this song in the beginnings of this round anyway. And it’s stayed pretty much the same.

The vocals give me a kind of happy lullaby feeling that really doesn’t appeal to me, you already said that this is a very warm/uplifting track. I’ve never really heard this kind of uplifting folk-y music and I guess it’s not really my thing. Most of the times my happy music is nonsensical, funky, upbeat or just fun that shouldn’t be taken serious, and this falls in neither of those categories. Still really dig the instrumentation throughout the entire song, with special regards to the intro, but man am I impartial to those vocals, not really doing much for me at all.

Sorry, looking forward to the powermetal round though. Remember, I think you still haven’t used your 11+ minute song so you can send me the longest powermetal tune in your library :D

6.5 + (1.0) = 7.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Caladan Brood – Wild Autumn Wind

Coming in at almost 14 minutes, combined with the song and band title and the album art I thought I was going to get some very epic blackmetal? And well that’s pretty much what I got here, I guess it has some folky elements aswell.

I gotta admit, getting through the blackmetal vocals in the first section of the song was a toughie, but since I liked everything in this song so much I really wanted to get into the vocals too, and luckily I did. This song is amazing, from the grandiose chants to the cold guitarwork contrasting the folky medieval flutes, from the crushing cymbals to the heartwrenching harsh vocals, epic is all I could say to sum it up.

The finale does not disappoint, summing up a long song that already has set the bar really high is not an easy thing to do, but they manage. Everything from the guitar solo flowing into the best set of mixed vocals I’ve heard in the entire roulette (the chants mixed with the harsh vocals), and ending it off with the woodwinds is just perfect. Best song of the round for sure, and probably top 3 material of the entire roulette.

The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
Become dust in the wake of the hymn
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
No more than a breath on the wind

9.25 + (1.0) = 10.25/10

Splent: Joseph Magazine – Liquid Dream

No harm in sending stuff you’ve received in your own roulette, I’ve done that several times myself. It’s about sharing good music anyways so it wouldn’t make sense holding on to it if the person who sent it wouldn’t send it here or doesn’t even participate.

Listening to this instrumental, I feel like it’s not covering any new ground to be honest, just a good metal instrumental with some progrock elements here and there. The atonal synths are great, I love that kinda thing, though overall this is not really exciting, for this song there’s 100 others I could put on and get exactly the same out of. That’s not necessarily bad because this is solid enough, but not too impressive either. Poop. Luckily there’s some cool effects and stuff, and a neat guitar solo, they make this song pretty solid throughout, so there’s always something to look forward in this song.

7.0 + (1.0) = 8.0/10

Tomislav95: Hypocrisy – Roswell 47

Getting a lot of live versions in this roulette, and I gotta say, I haven’t been disappointed with any of them so far, I’m glad I allowed them. This one is no different, I always thought the black/deathmetal crowds were just kinda shoegazing throughout the sets but this crowd seems very energetic!

It was just kinda there at first though, I didn’t really think anything of this entry, but seeing as you have only been sending amazing stuff here, it just had to click at some point, and it did. The vocals have this kind of industrial metal/deathmetal combination and it’s SO powerful, wow. It’s like an extraterrestrial is announcing the earth’s defeat through a megaphone, love it. One of the most powerful vocalists I’ve heard in quite a while.

The chorus, if you can call it that, has the euphoric sound to it that most melo-death choruses have, but this is way darker. I agree with you, this is one of the best growlers in the game, possibly the best.

The song is over before you know it, would’ve liked it to be slightly longer maybe but this is good enough, another great song here. ROSWELL FOURTY-SEVEEEE-EEEEN :metal

8.5/10

425: Anderson/Stolt – Invention

This was the disney/mickey mouse song :lol

I dunno how, because I really dug that Flower Kings song and this has 2 of the same band members. I guess the vocals ruin it for me, but it’s not only that, the music is very disney-esque in a very offputting way, I mean I love happy music but not like this. I gotta give you this though, it did actually make me LOL, probably not the reaction you wanted but that’s life for you I guess.

It doesn’t help that it’s nearly 10 minutes in length either, I mean, it does get better towards the end, if only ever so slightly, but I have to get through nearly 7 minutes of not-so-enjoyable music to get there. Sorry, complete miss here.

5.5 + (1.0) = 6.5/10

Bolsters: Sergey Golovin – Sea Devil

With so much instrumental djent to offer these days, I was looking forward what would set this apart from the main stream. And obviously, it wouldn't be a Bolsters submission without some electronic mixed in :P

Getting some Plini/CHON vibes right off the bat here and that's never a bad thing, especially right now with all the hype for the upcoming Plini debut album. Once the song really kicks in it's a pretty awesome tune, lots-a headbangable riffs, groovy grooves, funky funkes. Yeah this is pretty cool, but I can't help but throw it in the 'okay/good' category because it sounds like just another djent/progmetal instrumental with nothing really all that mindblowing to it. For what it is, pretty rad song though.

7.25 + (1.0) = 8.25

Sacul: Blackfield - Epidemic

Somehow I always ignored Blackfield, people told me it and No-Man were both boring sideprojects of SW. Well, I still have no idea about No-Man, but this sure isn't boring..

I love how simple this is, piano melodies a child could learn in no time, easy-yet-memorable vocal melodies, tension-building structure in a very simple manner. All combined with Steven's lovely vocals, this is easily one of the better songs of the round. It's always cool how thin the line between happy and sad are in Steven Wilsons songs, at one point you feel like it's depressing and the next thing you know he's singing an uplifting-sounding chorus.

Yea good stuff, I'll check out more Blackfield soon for sure.

8.0/10

Standings
Tomislav95: 44.0 + 8.5 = 52.5 (XX)
Scorpion: 42.5 + 9.25 = 51.75 (XXX)
Home: 41.5 + 9.0 = 50.5 (XXX)
Parama: 41.75 + 8.5 = 50.25 (XXX)
Bolsters: 41.75 + 8.25 = 50.0 (XXX)

Sacul: 41.5 + 8.0 = 49.5 (XXX)
Elite: 39.75 + 9.5 = 49.25 (XX)
Twosuitsluke: 42.0 + 7.0 = 49.0 (XXX)
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 38.5 + 10.25 = 48.75 (XX)
Evermind: 40.25 + 7.5 = 47.75 (XXX)
Splent: 39.5 + 8.0 = 47.5 (XXX)
425: 40.0 + 6.5 = 46.5 (XX)

Things are still very close around the cutting line, home has made a fucking run for it, the climb between now and two rounds ago is unreal. Also Shadow Ninja is not in last place anymore yay, but it's kinda awkward having my v1 roulette champion in the bottom spot :lol shit how'd that happen.

Schedule for round 7
So this will be the longest round yet, you can all take your time to decide your last song before the bottom 7 get sacked, because I won't be listening to them until more than a week from now, when I get back from vacation. SIT BACK, RELAX, ENJOY THE RIDE :metal or.. just send now if you like, I don't mind.
I plan on starting the listening + hangmanen the day after I get back, and it will be a pretty quick round from there on as I (as mentioned) am job-less because the place I work at is getting closed down for 2 weeks after I come back. Choose wisely, guys. This next submission may just be your last!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1092 on: July 21, 2016, 04:02:34 AM »

Elite: Pain of Salvation – Hallelujah
So, I’ve only heard BE and parts of Remedy Lane, which album should I continue with, Remedy Lane or the TPE’s?
Remedy Lane. I think you'd really like it. I was just listening to live version album they released last month and I thought to myself it is one of the best albums ever. Magnificent.

Also, I'm glad you like Hypocrisy :metal
Remember I asked you about one song with brass section? I think I'll send song from same album with both brass and strings, and it is used more than in song I wanted to send first... if I don't find something better. It could be risky as you don't really have similar bands on banned list :justjen

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: July 21, 2016, 04:06:08 AM »
Remedy Lane is a good place to start, yeah.

Power metal for Round 7 it is then.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1094 on: July 21, 2016, 04:57:36 AM »
I'll send something once I decide if I want to try to scrape through the eliminations or just end it all.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1095 on: July 21, 2016, 05:05:10 AM »
Good, I'm catching up!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1096 on: July 21, 2016, 05:22:34 AM »
Sent. Reasonable chance I'll make it through.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #1097 on: July 21, 2016, 05:32:29 AM »
Wow, glad you liked it! It's honestly one of my favourite Pink Floyd songs  :angel:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1098 on: July 21, 2016, 05:52:39 AM »
Couldn't really expect more than a solid 7. Was a big risk so could have gone horribly wrong  :lol

I'll think hard on this one as I want to make it through the eliminations..........then take some more risks!!

It's really close so I need a bit of luck more than anything. Everyone else, feel free to fuck up :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1099 on: July 21, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »
Guess I'll go with Remedy Lane then

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: July 21, 2016, 07:07:26 AM »
You can't really go wrong with either Remedy Lane or TPE pt.  1, both albums are fantastic.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1101 on: July 21, 2016, 07:20:50 AM »
I agree. Entropia is also a very good choice, and has the added bonus of being their debut - but then maybe it's only me that likes to experience bands in chronological order, so maybe that doesn't hold much weight.

Either way, those three are easily my PoS Top 3, and they are all fantastic.

If you decide to go with Remedy Lane or Entropia, I'd suggest checking out the bonus tracks on the album as well - Never Learn to Fly (Entropia bonus track) and Thorn Clown (RL bonus track) are two of my favourite Pain of Salvation songs, period, so don't miss out on those.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1102 on: July 21, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
ehh, well, that's not quite as bad as your hatred for comforting sounds so i'll take it i guess  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1103 on: July 21, 2016, 08:49:31 AM »
Who the hell told you Blackfield and No-Man are boring? They're awesome. The former is my fav of his side projects, very simple yet excellent music with feels. I may slip in a song from the other group in the EP, but I think you'd find their music too slow or ambient-ish :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1104 on: July 21, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »
ehh, well, that's not quite as bad as your hatred for comforting sounds so i'll take it i guess  :corn
Yea I like this more. I was fully prepared to give you like a 6 at first though but there seems to be an ongoing trend of your songs being the biggest growers every time.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1105 on: July 21, 2016, 09:08:22 AM »
to be fair, a lot of the best songs are like that.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1106 on: July 21, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »
Honestly, I think the best entry into Pain of Salvation is to watch the DVD that song I sent you is from. Every track on Ending Themes is brilliantly performed, even the songs from Scarsick, which is usually regarded aa one of their weakest outputs, are far better in a live context. Just listen to the entire concert an evening - no wait, don't just listen to it, watch the DVD as well - and find out what tracks you like.

According to my last.fm, PoS are my most played artist. All their songs are good (seriously), but there's a lot of it to digest. Other suggestions to take in Remedy Lane first is something I can endorse, but the difference between the albums is quite large on some occasions. That's why you can't really go wrong with Ending Themes, as it's got stuff from all their eras, up to Scarsick.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1107 on: July 21, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
TPE1 and Remedy Lane are both fantastic tho

I listened to the song I sent train this morning and it's been stuck in my head all day, so I hope the same happens to him and I get a good score because of it, I find it absurdly catchy

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1108 on: July 21, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »
There is no Ending Theme on Ending Themes tho :-\

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1109 on: July 21, 2016, 02:45:31 PM »
Doesn't matter. Ever watched the DVD? It's honestly my favourite live DVD, everything on it is stellar.
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1110 on: July 21, 2016, 02:48:27 PM »
No. I know Hallelujah cover from Youtube and I checked Undertow and didn't like that version :-\
EDIT: Sent via Spotify.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:34:19 PM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1111 on: July 22, 2016, 01:14:24 AM »
i was thinking "hmm if i make it to round 8 i could send spanish sahara" but foals is banned so rip

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1112 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:19 AM »
Spanish Sahara is a pretty average Foals song tbh fam manen

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Gah, I still have so much stuff to choose from, I don't know what to send! #humblebrag #firstworldproblems

Seriously, though, I'm deciding between three songs. Will send today or tomorrow.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Yeah, not sure what to send. Will probably send something on a whim later today.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Yeah I figured.

I'll send when I'm able to.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline 425

« Reply #1116 on: July 22, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
425: Anderson/Stolt – Invention

This was the disney/mickey mouse song :lol

I dunno how, because I really dug that Flower Kings song and this has 2 of the same band members. I guess the vocals ruin it for me, but it’s not only that, the music is very disney-esque in a very offputting way, I mean I love happy music but not like this. I gotta give you this though, it did actually make me LOL, probably not the reaction you wanted but that’s life for you I guess.

It doesn’t help that it’s nearly 10 minutes in length either, I mean, it does get better towards the end, if only ever so slightly, but I have to get through nearly 7 minutes of not-so-enjoyable music to get there. Sorry, complete miss here.

:eek That's the legendary Jon Anderson! I don't know, I really liked the vocals on this album if for no other reason than because it's awesome that, in 2016, his voice is still almost as good as it was on the vintage Yes albums 40+ years ago.

Ah well. I guess I'm done. Crown = undefended. But I am going to throw a Hail Mary this time (sticking with my originally planned round 7 song) just to see.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
What? The same guy that sung on Yes' Fragile? I really liked that album but on this song the vocals just have this jolly feel that puts me off or something.

Looking forward to the hail mary tho

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1118 on: July 22, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
Spanish Sahara is a pretty average Foals song tbh fam manen
uFail

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sent the best song.
Squ