Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 120005 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE
« on: June 10, 2016, 07:00:47 AM »
    Remember guys: The sequel is always worse than the original, keep your expectations very low

Welcome to my second roulette! Not gonna lie, I did NOT expect to be up so soon again and neither did you probably, it hasn't even been half a year since my last one ended but I'm all ready for it! Hope you are too.

I’ve been getting major beatings and been doing terribly in some recent roulettes, but now it’s time to host one myself again, really looking forward to it! I didn’t expect to be up again already but I can manage. Anyone who hasn’t participated in/followed my first roulette,
here’s the link. I really enjoyed doing it, tons of great new music came my way and I have further expanded my music library afterwards. However, it wasn’t as smooth as I would’ve liked, being unsure about which themes to discard and which to keep while the roulette was already running, aswell as not standing 100% behind my rankings – not this time, this one is going to run so smoothly it’ll be over before you can say “roulette“.

Scoring system: .25?

The scoring system remains pretty much the same as my first roulette, so I’ll be rating your songs out of 10 points, and I’m going to be realistic here, so I don’t think anyone with a serious attempt at sending something I might like will score lower than a 4, but don’t count it out. Don’t push your luck guys, I won’t rule out scores below 4 if it’s absolute shite, but I have faith in you. The only difference between this roulette and the first one score-wise is that I’ll be scoring with .25 point increments. It honestly doesn't change much, all it does is make it easier for me to give the songs exactly what I feel they deserve. Sometimes I'll have a hard time deciding between 7.5 and 8.0 so with this I can just easily fix that by giving the song 7.75.

1-2: If you get something below a 3 you have fucking done it, for this one I can’t even name examples, I have no idea what kind of disaster it takes for me to give a song a score like this, but by all means, do try. I should at this point probably throw you out of the roulette but I’m no bad guy so instead you’ll just have to deal with a major point deficit.
3-4: Either very boring or annoying in many ways, could be something that’s simply too weird for me (this takes a lot to be honest), something that bores me to death or something that is very standard in every possible way and sparks little to no interest from me.
5-6: Ranging from mediocre to good. Thinking of the songs I’d rate about 6 right now, they have their moments, but I wouldn’t want an album full of songs like that, to put it in perspection.
7-8: Ranging from good to amazing, 7 will likely be my go-to score for good submissions that probably triggered me to check out the album but aren’t too spectacular on their own.
9-10: Perfection

Rules/Notes

I kept it as short as possible, but I want to make sure you know what you’re signing up for, especially if you’re not familiar with roulettes in general. So there’s some general rules in there aswell as stuff about this roulette specifically. I prefer to have questions about the rules in the thread if they apply to other participants too, if they’re personal questions you can go ahead and PM me.

• I will have 12 participants as an absolute max. I gave this a bit more thought than the first time because it seems to be very popular these days to accept everyone who applies and then do qualifiers. It seems like a lot of fun to host, and you sure as hell get a lot of different music from it, but I don’t want to eliminate people based on an unfortunate miss. If someone is eager to join the roulette I want them to stay for the whole duration (until the first elimination point atleast :neverusethis:).Most of you should have enough information about me to determine whether this competition is for you or not. And if you don’t, there’s always my last.fm page, top 50 albums and first roulette thread, aswell as my banned list and the unlockables which you can read about in the next post. Anyone is free to join, I encourage newcomers but I have no problem getting some of the train roulette veterans back on board either.
  • Submitting songs is prefered through Spotify/Youtube/files, I’ll even allow bandcamp if you have like the most obscure band in the world, but out of these I think Spotify and mp3 files are my prefered format, though I don’t have any problem with the others. My Spotify username is "LviaLviaquez" if you'd like to send songs through Spotify.
  • The length limit for each round will be 11 minutes, but that’s an absolute max. I knew I’d get trouble setting it at 10 and people wanting to send 10:05 minute songs and such. However, since the epic round was by far my favorite from last roulette, and there’s not going to be themed rounds this time around, I decided to allow everyone to send one (JUST ONE) 11+ minute song with no time limit.
  • When you’re in, you’re in. Don’t sign up for a competition you can’t keep up with. This seems like a useless point to make but since I’m going on vacation for a week in July and want to keep running this thing as smoothly as possible I want to make sure we don’t have to wait a week for someone to send or something.
    I’m going to schedule the rounds properly so everyone knows when they can send, when the deadline will be, aswell as scheduling pre-result teasers and bonus rounds etc. The punctuality in some of the recent roulettes really stood out to me and kept the roulette alive the entire time, gonna try to achieve the same here. This also means that if you don‘t send before the deadline and I don't hear from you at all after contacting I might start the round without you, if you send later I’ll still listen to your song the same amount of times, but I’ll do it in a shorter period of time, so indirectly it could affect the score if it’s too much to take in in just a few days. Let me know if for some reason you can’t meet the deadline and it won’t be a problem. I’m no bad guy, if we need to postpone a round for a couple of days on one or two occasions I won’t make a big deal out of it.
  • Any band scoring 7 or higher will be put on the banned list, the rest of them is still available (if a song got 7 or higher only because of a bonus point it’s still available). If you do re-enter a used band that got a score lower than 7, please, at least read the writeup for the first song sent by this artist to understand what I didn’t like about it. Anything under a 7 will most likely have atleast one significant element I don’t like about it so it could be helpful.
  • So I mentioned mixing up themes a bit, I don’t want people to depend on them too much, and I think the non-obligatory themes of Bolsters‘ roulette were pretty great, so I’m going to shamelessly copy that, here’s a list of the themes you can choose from:

* Foreign lyrics: Songs with lyrics sung in anything but English and Dutch, I’ll allow Spanish. I’m technically Spanish but I don’t speak it as well or as frequently as the other two in my daily life, so it still has that foreign spark to me.
    * Instrumental: This speaks for itself.
    * World music: I think I have a soft spot for this kinda stuff, but it’s still a tough one, I also barely have any world music influenced stuff so yeah, help me find more.
    * Songs with prominent brass/strings/woodwind inclusion: For this one I will allow synthesizers aswell as the actual instruments, I can often hear the difference pretty clearly, but it doesn’t take away from my enjoyment.
    * Songs released in 2016: I’ve found lots of cool newly released stuff already, help me find more!
    * Cover songs: There’s lots of great covers around, usually the ones I like best are the ones that really form their own identity. A great example is the Johny Cash cover of Hurt by NIN, and Metallica’s covers of Turn The Page and Astronomy by Bob Seger and Blue Öyster Cult respectively.
    Note, the banned list applies to the band that’s covering the song, if it’s the other way around, I need to approve of it first, if I know the song or if I think it’s too similar to the original that I already know I will deny your song.
For any of these themes, you could apply your 11+ length limit. You can’t however, use one song for more than one of the themes, let’s say you have an instrumental song from 2016, you’ll have to choose one of the themes. Only a maximum of 3 bonus points will be handed out per participant, and you can’t get more than 1 bonus per theme.

Just to be safe, please mention the theme you’re going for when sending a song! In case a song could apply to more than one theme, or in case it’s a song where it could be borderline passable for a theme such as the brass theme.

Roulette format

Went back and forth with this one a lot, gave it a lot of thought, and in the end I went with this: we are looking at a total of 10 rounds, with one cut-off point after the first 7 rounds. The amount of people cut will be based on my total amount of participants. Either way, anyone that’s not in the top 5 will be cut after the first 7 rounds, unfortunately. :(

Round 1: Open (INCLUDING BONUS ROUND #1)
Round 2: Open
Round 3: Open (INCLUDING BONUS ROUND #2)
Round 4: Open (INCLUDING BONUS ROUND #3)
Round 5 and 6: Open
Round 7: Open (Top 5 advance after R7)

Round 8: Open
Round 9: ??? (Is it a special round? Is it just another open round? You’ll find out when the time comes)
Round 10: EP Round

So in short, I stuffed in a total of 3 announced bonus rounds of which its content remains secret. If I feel some more bonuses are in place I might do one unannounced but I’m aiming on it just being these three. Round 1 up until 7, anything goes. You should read the rules to know which song lengths apply and how you can earn extra points by applying certain themes and such, but mostly this is a straightforward run of 7 open rounds, and the top 5 advance to the final rounds.

Round 10 is when the real finals kick in, I’m not going to eliminate anyone prior to this round so it’ll still be the top 5 players. With this round think of something like Evermind and Sacul’s final roulette rounds, to name a few.[/list]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:15:07 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Roulette II: This Time It's Personal
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
Tastes/bonus system

This is a little something I thought of when I was writing a "My tastes"/"My history with music" kinda topic, in the end I decided against it, I wanted to do this in a different way.
This is kind of what I’ve been building the roulette around, apart from the standard format. Bonus rounds include rewards related to this system, but not exclusively.
First off, this has nothing to do with the bonus points you can get from using the themes, this bonus system will not award you any actual points.

Instead, I was thinking of an unlocking system, but I wanted to keep the competition as balanced as possible, so I completely ruled out awarding bonus points for the challenges you’re going to face. Instead of handing out free points, you can earn bonuses that allow you to unlock one of the topics listed below of which I’ve written some (useful?) information about my experience/tastes with that topic. For instance, there’s one topic, “Growls“, which has me talking about all sorts of different types of growls and in what context I like them etc. I think it could be very helpful in finding something good, but it doesn’t directly give you any point advantage, so I thought that was pretty neat.

Obviously, not every topic is going to be as valuable to every single participant, so you’ll have to pick carefully. But to kind of try and balance it out, everything provides roughly the same amount of insight and explanations. I didn’t want to make it so that one or two of these topics are clearly more valuable, from a neutral point of view I can say they look roughly equally useful. So with a topic like “Djent“, things are obviously a little more in depth, and I don’t just talk about palm muting :lol I could be telling you something about my thoughts on certain types of vocals, musical arrangements, you know, things that could be used very well outside of those topics too.

I don’t want to give you any concrete info on any of these though, so without further ado: At the start of the roulette, you all get to choose two of the topics listed below. Just PM me which ones you’d like and I will reply to you with my walls of text. You can expect a roughly 500-800 words text discussing different subtopics, along the way I’ve listed song examples with timestamps between brackets in case I wanted to show a certain moment of that song, to clarify what I’m talking about. For example:

I can be very picky with my vocalists, I absolutely hate when bands have boring whiny vocalists (Dream Theater - Forsaken) Disclaimer: I like Forsaken

The 500-800 word estimation is including the songs+timestamps.
The links are all youtube links, so if it’s not available in your country you’ll have to look them up yourself. Useful tip: if the link doesn’t work and I linked a specific timestamp, you can quote my message and copy the link, or if you want to perhaps look it up on spotify or something, the timestamp is at the end of the url, marked with “#t=(minutes)m(seconds)s“ or just “#t=(seconds)“ if it’s in the first minute.

Here are the topics you can choose from:

•   Traditional rock/metal (the classics) + modern rock
•   Growls
•   Atmospheric music
•   Prog in general
•   Djent
•   Electronic
•   Doom/Black metal

Some (maybe) obvious ommisions on the list of topics to choose from, but that’s because I only wanted to cover the topics that cover a big part of my music, or things that I can atleast explain the best. Meaning that if I would include, for example, powermetal, it would be more of a trap than actual help, like I would bait Evermind into picking power metal, only to find out that I literally have nothing to say about the genre.
To put it in perspective, the two articles with the most words (they exceeded my estimated words mark) includes the one about djent, so I wouldn’t judge the topics too much by how broad they are, but rather by how well they could help you in sending good stuff.

BANNED LIST

A.C.T
Absolute Priority
AC/DC
Aeon Zen
Arcane
Alcest       
Alter Bridge
Amon Amarth
Anathema                                 
Apocalyptica
Arctic Monkeys
Arkentype
Avantasia
Avenged Sevenfold
Ayreon
Beardfish
Bent Knee
Between the Buried and Me
Billy Talent
Blackmill
Bon Iver
Bon Jovi
Brand New
Brookes Brothers
Bruce Dickinson
Bulb
Bullet for my Valentine
Caligula’s Horse
Chaosbay
Children of Bodom
Children of Nova
CHON
Circus Maximus
Closure In Moscow
Coheed and Cambria
Coldplay
Cult of Luna
David Gilmour
David Maxim Micic
Deadly Circus Fire
Deep Purple
Deftones
Destrage
Device
Devil Doll
Devin Townsend (including the related projects)
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Dire Straits
Disclosure
Distorted Harmony
Disturbed
Dream Theater
Dredg
Drowning Pool
Earthside
Eau Rouge
Eminem
Envy on the Coast
Fates Warning
Five Finger Death Punch
Foals
Foo Fighters
Frost*
Fun.
God Is An Astronaut
Gojira
Gramatik
Green Carnation
Guilt Machine
Hacride
Haken
Headspace
I Am Abomination
Iced Earth
Ihsahn
In the Silence
Incubus
Infected Mushroom
Iron Maiden
James Blake
James Labrie
Jeff Buckley
John Coffey
John Petrucci
Jolly
Judas Priest
Justin Carter
Karnivool
Katatonia
Kauan
King Diamond
Kingcrow
Korn
Kyuss
Lacuna Coil
Lamb of God
Last Chance to Reason
Lechuga
Led Zeppelin
Lemâitre
Leprous
Like Thieves
Linkin Park
Liquid Tension Experiment
Long Distance Calling
Lorde
Lower Definition
Machine Head
Major Parkinson
Mandroid Echostar
Manowar
Mastodon
Megadeth
Metallica
Monuments
Moron Police
Motörhead
Moving Atlas
Muro
Muse
Mutoid Man
Myrath
Native Construct
Ne Obliviscaris
Noisia
Novembre
One Day As A Lion
Opeth
Overkill
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Pendulum
Periphery
Plini
Pomegranate Tiger
Porcupine Tree
Projected Twin
Protest the Hero
Pyramid Theorem
Queensrÿche
Rage Against the Machine
Rick Astley
Rise Against
Rishloo
Rival Sons
Riverside
Royal Blood
Scar Symmetry
Sean Ashe
Seether
Serj Tankian
Seventh Wonder
Shattered Skies
Shinedown
SikTh
Skyharbor
Silver Fist
Slash (ft. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators)
Slice The Cake
Slipknot
Soen
Soilwork
Solution .45
Soundgarden
Steven Wilson
Stone Sour
Sum41
Suspyre
Symphony X
System of a Down
Teramaze
Tesseract
Tetrafusion
Textures
Thank You Scientist
The Antlers
The Dear Hunter
The Dillinger Escape Plan
The Great Discord
The Human Abstract
The Mars Volta
The Ocean
The Offspring
The Pineapple Thief
The Reign of Kindo
Three Days Grace
Thrice
Tool
Transatlantic
Tremonti
Trivium
Twelve Foot Ninja
Two Steps From Hell
Vanden Plas
Van Halen
Voices from the Fuselage
VOLA
Waken Eyes
Wax Tailor
Wolfmother
Xerath
Yes
Yossi Sassi

Banned during roulette

Round 1:
CHVRCHES
The Fall Of Troy
Maybeshewill
Portishead
Afro Celt Sound System
Woods Of Ypres
Arstidir
Clint Mansell
Thy Catafalque

Round 2:
Death Cab For Cutie
Wilderun
Obsidian Kingdom
Being
Chicago
Moonsorrow
Frightened Rabbit
Rainbow
Oceansize

Round 3:
Dir En Grey
BT
Anciients
The Hirsch Effekt
Slowdive
The Flower Kings
Paradise Lost
Fair To Midland
Ulver
Oceans Of Slumber

Round 4:
Susanne Sundfor
Eluveite
Kashiwa Daisuke
Blue Stahli
Mew
In Flames
Sonata Arctica
Agent Fresco
Schizoid Lloyd
Pure Reason Revolution

Round 5:
Sigh
Zardonic
Chthonic
Scorpions
maudlin of the Well
Dark Tranquility
Amorphis
Hybrid
Rush
Rosetta
Nothing More
ReVamp

Round 6:
This Will Destroy You
Capdown
Orphaned Land
Pain Of Salvation
Pink Floyd
Caladan Brood
Joseph Magazine
Hypocrisy
Sergey Golovin
Blackfield

Round 7:
Nightwish
Stratovarius
múm
Dimmu Borgir
Sigur Ros
iamthemorning
Okkervil River
Solstafir
Have a Nice Life
Gallowbraid

Round 8:
Modest Mouse
Jorn Lande & Trond Holter
Rendezvous Point
Witherscape

Round 9:
Progenie Terrestre Pura
Mr. Bungle
Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall
Daughter
Persefone

Here’s some general info that might help to read into my tastes if you don’t really know me:

•   Last.fm
•   List of banned artists
•   Top 50 albums
•   First roulette

Wouldn’t say these are all extremely helpful at figuring out my tastes, but this should atleast give you a rough sketch of what bands I like.

Victims Participants

- Parama: W/B/S, Foreign lyrics, Instrumental
- Bolsters: World music, Instrumental, W/B/S
- Sacul: World music, 2016, Instrumental
- Elite: 2016, Cover, Instrumental
- twosuitsluke: Instrumental, 2016, World music
- Evermind: Foreign lyrics, W/B/S, Instrumental
- Scorpion: Instrumental, Foreign lyrics, World music
- Tomislav95: Foreign lyrics, World music, W/B/S
- 425: 2016, Instrumental, W/B/S
- splent: W/B/S, Cover, Instrumental
- Shadow Ninja 2.0: Instrumental, W/B/S, Foreign lyrics
- home: Instrumental, Cover, W/B/S
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 03:21:54 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:01:40 AM »
Results
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7
Round 8
Round 9

Round 10:
#6: Sacul
#5: Scorpion
#4: Bolsters
#3: Parama
#2 > #1: Elite > Tomislav95

Bonus Round #1 (R1)
Bonus Round #2 (R3) (Album Fragments)
Bonus Round #3 (R4)

Train roulette Spotify playlists

Best of the best

Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
Round 4
Round 5
Round 6
Round 7

Round 8
Round 9

The EP round/Round 10

As you may have noticed by the overall format and some of my posts before no one is getting sacked between now and the end of the roulette, so the finals essentially consist out of 3 rounds. Still, the EP round is by far the most impactful and pretty much everything comes down to this, so I hope you haven’t gone through all the good stuff yet.

The formula I’ll be using to score the EP's I will keep to myself, but I can give away that I did try to make it rely more on the flow this time around, and the overall replay value, cohesiveness of it all, stuff outside of individual song scores that come into play. I wanted to announce it so soon this time around since you may need some time to think about which songs fit together best and stuff.

So here’s the rules/restrictments:

-   Maximum length of 40 minutes, minimum length of 25 minutes.
-   Maximum of 5 different artists, with a cap of 17 minutes per artist.
-   No cap on the amount of songs you want to fit in, throwing in additional segue/interlude tracks to improve the flow may prove necessary/useful in this so no limit.
-   Individual song length limit is 15 minutes and everyone gets an additional use of an 11+ minute song if they want to.

For this round I definitely prefer files over spotify or youtube or any of the other streaming websites/options, to my experience the easiest way is to upload them to MEGA.nz and send me the link to download. Also, make clear in what order they should be listened to in case the titles aren't marked with 1. 2. etc.

Not entirely sure if I've covered everything but if I didn't just ask me here or PM.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:16:44 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 07:08:20 AM »
jesusb christ that's a lot of text, /in

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 07:14:04 AM »
Posting to say I'm in before reading any of that because I might be too late if I read it all first.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 07:19:07 AM »
Yeah I came prepared :lol I've been planning bits and pieces for quite a while now so fitting it into the max. characters per post was one of the hardest things.

The essential stuff you need to know at the start of the roulette are the Rules and the Tastes/Bonus system sections. Scoring systems, the schedule for next week and the format of the roulette is good to know but it's not essential right now, just stuff I lik to have in the OP for future reference.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 07:25:45 AM »
In. Will not try to send stuff just to win, but to try expand your musical horizons a bit like the hipster I am :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 07:27:40 AM »
east of the wall isn't banned, hmm  :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 07:29:03 AM »
Gave it a read.

So, these bonus rounds (1, 3, and 4) are different themes you will reveal when the time comes, or are those the three rounds you want us to ask for our optional bonuses in?

Also, will you be ranking the optional bonus theme songs like I did and awarding additional bonuses?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 07:38:39 AM »
Alright, first off I won't be ranking the bonus themed songs, they're simply a +1 to your score.

The bonus rounds aren't clear apparently, it has nothing to do with themes or anything, completely separate. They're more like mini-games, the winner of one of these rounds can win a small, not too impactful prize. For instance, one of the prizes could be an aditional topic of choice from the ones listed in the tastes/bonus system section.

The bonus points from the themes you can apply to your submissions are allowed in any of the rounds and have nothing to do with the bonus rounds, a bit confusing I admit.

The first bonus round will be revealed when I have ten participants and will go simultaneously with the first round. Without giving it away, I can reveal that for this round you will not have to send any songs or anything, you will take a guess at something, and the person that comes closest with their guess will win. You'll see when I reveal it.

Hope it makes more sense now.

east of the wall isn't banned, hmm  :corn
I don't really have a system to determine which bands I put on the banned list and which I left out. Some on the list I only know one album of and some bands I already know or own an album of aren't on the list. So yeah it's not that consistent, but if it's not on the banned list technically you can send it. I assume you know that I won't accept anything from The Apologist though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 07:45:05 AM »
read everything because I had the chance. tbh a lot of it feels like pointless fluff and I already have a solid grasp of your tastes anyways (so I can know how to push them  :corn) but okay

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 07:57:45 AM »
Another roulette for me to screw up in! Count me onboard :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 08:00:22 AM »
I'm in if you'll have me dude. I think out of everyone who regularly posts on this forum your tastes may be most similar to mine. Pretty sure I'll steer clear of Progressive Metal but all other genres of metal will be fair game and from what I do know of your tastes I've got some stuff that I may be (slightly) more confident about sending to you.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 08:04:30 AM »
I said I'll join in the roulette tracker thread but apparently that wasn't enough? Anyway, I'm in.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 08:07:00 AM »
Consider it done, you are all in and we're now at 6 participants. Luke marks the first Train roulette freshman!

I already had you on the list actually, Evermind, you mentioned wanting to join my second sometime in PM too but I wanted to know for sure. Forgot about the tracker thread though but you would've been in regardless.

I've sent out the first topics through PM just now, remember, you can select two of them at the start of the roulette, choose wisely.

pointless fluff
Where's fluffy at tho :corn

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »
Some (maybe) obvious ommisions on the list of topics to choose from, but that’s because I only wanted to cover the topics that cover a big part of my music, or things that I can atleast explain the best. Meaning that if I would include, for example, powermetal, it would be more of a trap than actual help, like I would bait Evermind into picking power metal, only to find out that I literally have nothing to say about the genre.

If I participate in your roulette, I don't care what you think about power metal, you receive it anyway. :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 08:10:44 AM »
I'm in.

Should we PM you right now about the topics that we want to read about or should we wait until the roulette begins?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
You can do that right now, I have everything ready.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »
Don't have time to read all that but I'm in.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »
That's 8 people in already, this is going quicker than expected! As soon as the tenth signs up I will open round 1 for submission and reveal the first bonus round that comes along with it. After that, I will still allow 2 more people to join if they'd like.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 08:59:52 AM »
Bands that have been sent in the first roulette but not in the banned list are game, right? Because I've got this one song I'm spinning like the whole week and I'm not sure I'll be able to resist sending it.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:38 AM »
Yes they are. I want to say I checked out most of the roulette albums but that's not entirely true. Sometimes I wasn't in the mood and turned an album off early, or even forgot to check out some albums.

And if you're unsure you can always send it to me and I'll just ask to re-send if I reject it.

Offline 425

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »
Alright, I think I'll be able to swing this, actually. I've got about 7 artists that aren't banned and weren't sent in your v1, and then I can supplement that with a few that were sent in v1 plus some new artists I get over the next few weeks. So you can count me in.

Don't necessarily expect me to pull off another victory, but I figure it's better to fight for my crown and lose it than sit on the sidelines and not even try.

I'm not quite sure I understand what the bonus rounds are going to look like, but I'm sure I'll manage and it'll be clearer once I actually see one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
In.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 10:41:52 AM »
Ah what the hell I've got some shit I can send you, I'm in.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
how banned would I be if I sent 5 different east of the wall related artists :neverusethis:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:38 AM »
I read it all, seems cool :tup I will send you PM in a few minutes.

Offline 425

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
how banned would I be if I sent 5 different east of the wall related artists :neverusethis:

For your next roulette I'm just going to hit "random band" on Metal Archives until I find one with a sufficiently weird name, then pick a track from their top rated album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »
edit during the process of writing this since shadow ninja ninja'd me: Alright, everyone is in, time to open round 1 and announce the first bonus round!

Round 1

Nothing special, like any other round, this is an open round, I just want to announce it to let you all know that from now on you can send for the first round!

Bonus round #1

This is the first bonus round! The idea is that, along with sending your submission, you will take a guess at what # your song will rank this round. I don’t know if I’m formulating that correctly, but let’s say you’re sending the best song ever and have all the confidence in the world. If you guess your song will be ranked as the #1 song of the round and it ends up winning the round, you win the bonus round too. Similarly, if you’re miserable and have no confidence at all, you could guess last place and send a crappy song, but trust me, it’s not worth the prize. :lol

I wanted to do this one in the first round already because this way no one can be entirely sure who is going to score well and who isn't.

No matter how many identical scores occur when I post results, I will still rank all the songs and check per participant how far they were off with their guess.

You’ll have to guess a # between 12 and 1 in the same PM you’ve sent your submission in, the number being your prediction at what spot your song ends up in a full ranking of the round 1 songs. I want to avoid people knowing anything about other people’s songs before taking their guess - it has to be somewhat random – so I want you all to have the guess out before I reveal the songs that were sent. I want to see how confident people really are in their songs, and if anyone’s cocky enough to guess 1st place.

In case of a tie, the winning spot goes to the participant that guessed the lowest number. So if one person guessed #1 and ended up being #2, while another person guessed #2 and ended up being #3, the one who guessed #1 wins the tiebreaker.

The winner of the bonus round receives a prize, the #2 and #3 do too but their prize will be slightly less significant.

Make sure it's clear what # you're guessing in the same PM you use to PM your submission

Also, to anyone that hasn't asked for their topics yet, go get them ASAP as they might be of use to figure out more about my tastes.

The topics in question are:

•   Traditional rock/metal (the classics) + modern rock
•   Growls
•   Atmospheric music
•   Prog in general
•   Djent
•   Electronic
•   Doom/Black metal

The people that have yet to claim theirs are:

Elite
splent
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:49:36 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »
I already know your stance on doom metal  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »
It would be interesting to send something that is sang in Croatia :lol I wonder how foreigners perceive my language.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
sent

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2016, 11:14:21 AM »
Can I join? :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
'F course you can! That means we're full guys.

Everyone understand the themes, bonus round 1 rules and the bonus system?

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »
Everyone else guessing their song will be #1? :lol