Poll

Why are you still checking out this thread? The roulette has been completed for ages

For the sake of nostalgia
0 (0%)
I have no life so I am reading through old roulettes for entertainment
0 (0%)
Train of Naught
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 03, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Author Topic: Train of Naught Roulette II v. MURAMASA... MASAMUNE  (Read 123289 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just had to say that I'm really not a fan of the ObZen album cover. I think it's a great idea for an album cover but suffers from very poor execution, looks a bit amateur to me.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Yeah me too, almost like Dance of Death bad, but not quite. Its one of the four random ones too, aswell as the King Crimson. I laughed 2 straight minutes just looking at ITCOTKC imagining how someone would send it for a competition of best album covers. :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Yeah me too, almost like Dance of Death bad, but not quite. Its one of the four random ones too, aswell as the King Crimson. I laughed 2 straight minutes just looking at ITCOTKC imagining how someone would send it for a competition of best album covers. :lol

Hey! ITCOTKC is a great cover!  :lol (I do honestly really like it ;p) Dance of Death is actually really, really bad though.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Online twosuitsluke

I agree about Dance of Death, it's really amateur computer based artwork. What year was that released though? Early 2000's?? I can forgive them, almost. But ObZen was like 2008 or something, no excuse  :lol

Also, what the hell Train?? The King Crimson album art is amazing!! I totally understand why that would be sent in. I have vivid images of staring at that as a kid, not having any idea what type of music it was, I never listened to it but just liked looking at my dad's vinyl.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I know I know, a LOT of people actually like it but I can't take it seriously. :lol Needless to say if this was an actual submission it would not have won here.

On a side note I have half the submissions in and I'll do the album cover results tonight after work (think 7 hours from now or something)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Can you post a list of which ones have been guessed so far?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Sure thing.

1: X
2: X
3: Explosions In The Sky - The Wilderness
4: X
5: X
6: Converge - Jane Doe
7: Sleep Party People - Floating
8: X
9: X
10: Soen - Tellurian (filler)
11: X
12: Opeth - Ghost Reveries (filler)
13: Redemption - The Art Of Loss
14: While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lacrymose
15: King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King (filler)
16: Meshuggah - Obzen (filler)

So all unguessed fragments are actual submissions, to maybe help you out a bit I'll reveal which ones are whose, maybe you could link it to someone's tastes or something.

1: Elite
2: Bolsters
4: Twosuitsluke
5: Parama
8: This is embarassing I forgot what this is or who sent it :lol, I'll be back with the answer in a bit.
9: Evermind
11: Splent (he even said it himself)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
I sent #8.

Want a PM what is was?

Also, could you post the picture again?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Nah I took a closer look and remember it again, I should write this down before deleting PM's though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
The first one is Anna Von Hausswolff - The Miraculous. Sacul guessed it already.

Online twosuitsluke

Any hints?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
#5: Oceans of Slumber - Aetherial

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
2: No one will guess this anyways

4: Has the word "witch" in their name

5: Female-fronted band that released a new album this year

8: Instrumental prog band that got sent in my first roulette

9: A random picture Evermind took in Russia

11: Extremely popular artist in the jazz world

Offline Tomislav95

#11: Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
It was very familiar, just clicked when I read it's jazz.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
#8: Scale the Summit - The Migration
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:46:53 AM by Bolsters »

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
4 is Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
5: Female-fronted band that released a new album this year
this is really funny because the album i sent you is, in fact, not female fronted  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The first one is Anna Von Hausswolff - The Miraculous. Sacul guessed it already.

What if it is not?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

What if it is not?
Anna von Hauswolff (1), Tellurian (10) and Obzen (16) are correct, iamthemorning and Parov Stelar are not.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
 :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
What the fuck? I get home a littleo ver 50 minutes after Hungary Portugal started and I missed FIVE goals wtf

I'll start ranking the covers after the match, thought of some interesting rewards too.

Offline Tomislav95

We get Train of Salvation album? ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
We get Train of Salvation album? ;D
I wish! I would consider it if I had written actual songs for it. But for now, all I can offer is a picture with an instagram filter and some PoS fonted titles.

So the only one that hasn't been guessed is Bolsters' (#2) :corn

But I don't mind, I'll post results soon, ranking them right now and should reveal the results in like half an hour or something.

Offline Tomislav95

So the only one that hasn't been guessed is Bolsters' (#2) :corn
Damn, I feel like I know it :/

Offline 425

I think I've seen that before, too, but I have no idea what it actually is.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Bonus round #2 results :corn

I didn't have anything like writeups planned so I'll just keep it to the top 4 who've made the winners stand and will receive prizes.

#4 through #2 receive the same prize but I ranked them anyway for the sake of ranking, because we at DTF like to rank stuff

#4: Home: Sleep Party People - Floating

Despite already being familiar with the album I never mentioned anything about it so I still allowed it. Beautiful cover, it's very aesthetic in a dreamy kind of way, and I actually didn't know about the bunny masks so that cleared up a thing or two. I'll send your reward shortly.

#3: Tomislav95: Explosions In The Sky - The Wilderness

This is how you spark interest for an album with me, some crazy abstract album cover. It looks very modern in the way I like art a lot these days, so good shout. Reward will be sent to you shortly aswell.

#2: Bolsters: Purity Ring - Another Eternity

After CHVRCHES' success I became intrigued with the whole idea of 'synthpop' and this one's no different. Beautiful cover that just missed out on first place. I'll send your reward along with Tomislav's and home's and the #1, who will then later receive his additional reward.

#1: Shadow Ninja 2.0: While Heaven Wept - Vast Oceans Lacrymose

I had no idea what to expect from this bonus round but this is just beautiful. They blend the amazing landscapes you usually see on blackmetal/folk metal covers with this adventurous edge that I think is present on a lot of like conceptual progmetal records but anyway, I fucking love this one.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
So apparently the new iamthemorning cover art wasn't even in Top 4? That sucks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
eits is subpar from what I've heard
what even is the #1 here tho I'll agree it's a pretty great cover

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
So apparently the new iamthemorning cover art wasn't even in Top 4? That sucks.
No I rated the tree trunk it came in last :neverusethis:

But for real the iamthemorning was pretty awesome but didn't make the top 4, it came in #6 behind these four and Anna von Hauswolff

Haven't checked out anything of the music or even direction of the music of these covers to remain unbiased in case people still want to send songs off those albums. I knew the Purity Ring was synthpop but only because Bolsters said so.

Offline Tomislav95

Their newest or whole discography? I heard The Wilderness once, didn't liked it very much, older albums are much better.

Online twosuitsluke

Quality album covers. Can definitely see how I lost out. No love for John Baizley then? :|

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Their newest or whole discography? I heard The Wilderness once, didn't liked it very much, older albums are much better.
Yeah the new one.
Never been huge on eits in general but the earth is not a cold dead place is nice
I just find them soooo generic

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
 :-[ I thought that cover would do better than that. Though I can understand Vast Oceans Lacrymose winning, that is a stunning cover.

Offline Tomislav95

Yeah the new one.
Never been huge on eits in general but the earth is not a cold dead place is nice
I just find them soooo generic
I feel like that about most of the post-rock. But sometimes I'm just in mood for it. They are playing in Croatia in October, ticket is not too expensive so I may check them, I'd like to hear post-rock live (4 days after is Swans + Anna von Hausswolff, too bad I never got into Swans)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Quality album covers. Can definitely see how I lost out. No love for John Baizley then? :|
I liked the cover from an objective point of view but the style is not my cup of tea.

The Scale The Summit was middle of the pack kinda, I do like it and it always grabs my attention when I see it but it got outclassed here.

Explosions In The Sky are post-rock? No way :lol with that cover I thought it was like technical prog metal or something related.

EDIT: 7 submissions are in now. I need Parama, Elite, 425, Scorp and Sacul but still not really in any hurry.