Author Topic: Swimming with Crocs- Animals...WTF??  (Read 34765 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Swimming with Crocs- The Official DTF Crocodile Thread
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 07:52:53 AM »
Jeez, that's terrible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »
If you have a 2-year old, I think I assumed it was just kinda understood that every second of your life is to be spent on high alert, because they can get into anything they want in the blink of an eye, like a f*cking ninja.  Terrible news.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 08:40:46 AM »
If you have a 2-year old, I think I assumed it was just kinda understood that every second of your life is to be spent on high alert, because they can get into anything they want in the blink of an eye, like a f*cking ninja.  Terrible news.

Yep. But as anyone who has had to care for a 2 year old (I've been through it three times) it's no secret that like you mentioned.....it's an amazing thing how they can literally 'vanish' in a second and you'll find them in to something or somewhere you never imagined they'd be able to access or do.

Even with the gorilla incident....there's no way I'm going to lambast a parent for something like this because it's not like that lady wanted her kid to fall in to the gorilla pen or these folks wanted their kid eaten by an alligator. Both instances just illustrate how just moments of lapse judgement can potentially be a life and death lapse of judgment.

This story is F'n brutal. I. Cannot. Imagine.....what these parents are going through right now, and when I dedicate 'real' contemplation and thought to it I begin to tear up and gut wrench. It's just....heartbreaking.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 09:18:24 AM »
Gators can move very fast on land for short distances a small gator 4-6' can move up to 25 MPH. A big one is only capable of 7-8 MPH. The only real defense is to be aware of the water and that log just might be a gator. The problem is while the big ones are scarier on land and far more lethal in the water than the small ones, Disney does not remove gators until they reach 6' or are a nusaince. the small ones are far more dangerous to children and pets on land. People feed gators which only makes them become more aggressive as they know it is a food source area. People do it a lot at WDW all the time.

I had one removed from the lake behind my house a few weeks ago as he was coming out of the lake far too often and trying to breach the fence, As I said earlier in this topic before this incident. Gators are a way of life around here in Florida.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:36:30 AM by The Trooper »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
WDW is surrounded by lakes and waterways, There is NO WAY Disney can keep them off property. I know for a fact they monitor the gator population. As I said, once they get over 6', they are removed from property and are relocated or to a gator refuge. Remember they can also walk over land so it is a hard task to control them.

Disney will react and you will now see fences on the lakes around the resort beaches. These are no swimming beaches anyway.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
There's no way Disney can control them completely. But, even though it seems like common sense.....is there property loaded  with warning signs and what not to warn everyone of the gator danger?

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 09:44:39 AM »
There's no way Disney can control them completely. But, even though it seems like common sense.....is there property loaded  with warning signs and what not to warn everyone of the gator danger?

No, the only signs are no swimming signs on Disney property water areas (which is massive). That will change I gather. Do not place blame on Disney for this (not saying you were). WDW has been around 40 years and never anything like this.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »

No, the only signs are no swimming signs on Disney property water areas (which is massive). That will change I gather. Do not place blame on Disney for this (not saying you were). WDW has been around 40 years and never anything like this.

Not placing blame at all. I'm just envisioning the inevitable lawsuit that they'll face for not warning guests about the crocodiles.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2016, 11:10:46 AM »
I was thinking to myself, how in the world did this gator come up on the beach fast enough to grab this kid? I know the father saw and tried to get the kid back, but the timing seemed off. Like, how far away was this small child? I live in FL, and am very aware of what gators can do. So... now I hear they were actually IN the water. Even if they weren't out far enough to swim ("technically we weren't swimming, since there's a No Swimming sign"), that makes a huge difference in what the gator could do, and how fast it could do it. If that's true, it kinda shifts from just a terrible tragedy, to a somewhat avoidable tragedy.

Fences: dumb idea
"Warning: Alligators” signs: good idea
Reading signs and acting appropriately: great idea

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
Disney could be in major trouble with this:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terrified-brit-family-chased-alligator-8197003

And they supposedly advertise that beach and water sports...no good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »
Disney could be in major trouble with this:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terrified-brit-family-chased-alligator-8197003

And they supposedly advertise that beach and water sports...no good.
Not to minimize this present tragedy at all, but that article is SO over the top that it borders on being ridiculous.  I would bet top dollar that that kind of potential overreaction to any and every gator sighting by people who are unfamiliar with gators is precisely why Disney opted to go with generic "no swimming" signs rather than signs pointing out the (obvious) reason and saying "beware of alligators."  I would sort of equate it to Disneyland in So. Cal. not having "Earthquake danger awareness" signs and brochures plastered all around that park.  Yes, the potential for disaster is there.  And, yes, it might avoid some loss of life in case a disastrous event were to occur.  But, ultimately, the odds are very slim of something going haywire, but the odds of people overreacting and staying away because they have no real understanding of the phenomenon in the first place is very high.  I'm not saying they still shouldn't have posted specific "gator warning" signs.  But I can understand the thinking behind not doing it, and that article highlights it perfectly.  In any case, now that this has occurred, they pretty much have to.  It's a shame many people will focus on this incident rather than the millions that have passed through the grounds without anything unsafe ever remotely occurring.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »
This picture is great in the story:

We've been on that very spot a number of times. My wife and I have always mentioned that there should be alligator signs posted. I can't believe they're not. That's not hindsight. We've had that conversation many times, including last April when we stayed at the Polynesian. I was actually creeped out because our room was on the ground floor (which I hate).
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »
Remains found.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
Link? Not questioning you. ;D Just want to read for myself.

MSN has breaking news that news conference is coming shortly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2016, 02:26:51 PM »
So the 2 year old.... was wading IN the water... ALONE!

If that's true, it kinda shifts from just a terrible tragedy, to a somewhat avoidable tragedy.
Seems to be shifting now to a completely avoidable tragedy.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
That's terrible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »
Watching the press conference now.

Crushing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
Obviously Disney runs that town, but as I started watching the press conference, I was thinking, jeez, the sheriff is real cool. I liked his delivery and commentary. But then he was asked if he would recommend Disney posting Alligator warning signage and he completely dodged it, saying they had a "partnership" with Disney. Really??

I totally admire those divers that went into the water. Those guys have brass balls.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
Link? Not questioning you. ;D Just want to read for myself.

MSN has breaking news that news conference is coming shortly.

I did not have a link I heard it from an official I know there. All good. I did not take it as questioning me.

Offline Cable

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
Obviously Disney runs that town, but as I started watching the press conference, I was thinking, jeez, the sheriff is real cool. I liked his delivery and commentary. But then he was asked if he would recommend Disney posting Alligator warning signage and he completely dodged it, saying they had a "partnership" with Disney. Really??

I totally admire those divers that went into the water. Those guys have brass balls.

I wonder how much input  they have over law enforcement. With Buena Vista/Reedy Creek or whatever being their actual own cities, they have naturally have say over things. But not fully when I read pieces of info about the founding of WDW.
---

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »

I wonder how much input  they have over law enforcement.

You wonder? The guy just told a young couple that they found their dead son and he can't even say that he would recommend posting alligator warning signs.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »

If that's true, it kinda shifts from just a terrible tragedy, to a somewhat avoidable tragedy.

So much fucking this.

I'm sorry for not being a single fucking ounce sorry. Throw all the "you don't know parenting" bullshit at me and all the excuses you (as in the people defending the parents) want but other than having the help of someone buying us food here and there, I raised my sisters and am now raising my niece and have taken both of them to zoos, the beach, pools, etc. countless times and not once has anything happened. It MIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT have something to do with me never once leaving their side, let alone out of my sight. It should be noted I've been called overbearing more than once. I take it as a compliment.

The way I pictured it before was that they were pretty much next to each other and the two year old just happened to be grabbed off the shoreline but most reports now paint a very different picture. I'm not going to sit here and blame it entirely on the parents or say that they deserved it because that's just not true (or warranted). I am however saying that people wanting to pussyfoot around this shit is fucking ridiculous. Same for the kid in the gorilla den. It's someone's fault and it sure as shit isn't the mindless beasts for saying "hey, some food...alone...exposed"; nor is it the kid because...they're children. Any situation that has the potential to be bad is going to be bad when you've got a toddler unsupervised.

It's horribly tragic and makes me sick. What makes me equally sick is halfwit fools attempting to defend the parents as if it was some freak accident or something that isn't pertaining to parenting. Even so, my heart goes out to the parents. It sounds like they were negligent, but it doesn't make it any less horrible. For as much as Disney and/or whoever the fuck owns those grounds is to blame, it's still on the parents (although there probably should be a BIG ASS sign posted every two feet given how absolutely dimwitted many people are; and I'll bet you there will be now). If you live in Florida and aren't on a constant watch for those monsters, you're a god damn mindless moron and that's about as sweetly as I can put it. It's not like a snake in the grass. It's a hulking beast that literally lurks in the water waiting for EXACTLY such an occasion. I'm also going to go out on a SUPER THIN LIMB and say that those parents will be like white on motherfucking rice with their other kids. That...is not a coincidence:-\

But yeah after this if nothing is done...I'm going to have some bad news for my niece because fuck Disney in their crusty, money-filled asses if this isn't mended as much as they possibly can with all of their billions. I mean at this point with all the news it's getting, there should be animal control, fences, signs every ten feet, more warning signs before you even reach the shore, and then some.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cable

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »

I wonder how much input  they have over law enforcement.

You wonder? The guy just told a young couple that they found their dead son and he can't even say that he would recommend posting alligator warning signs.

I didn't fully read/watch everything. I'm more speculating beyond this, and what potentially more nefarious things havd/ould occur. But then that gets into P/R Forum realms.

Even though the signs would be bad "show," they will have to do something.
---

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »
I think pretty much everything that happens at Disney never sees the light of day. This was unavoidable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2016, 04:37:13 PM »
The child was found in the water 10-15 yards from where he was grabbed. :(

What a depressing day.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2016, 09:41:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ZqrnJkQuQ

Alligator at Splash Mountain taken several years ago. They still get them in that area a lot in the park. Ignore the Jaws music. I forgot about this vid till my bud reminded me of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ZqrnJkQuQ

Same spot 6 months ago
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:48:50 PM by The Trooper »

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2016, 09:52:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKSEaCItVB4

Morons feeding turtles at Disney Coronado Springs Hotel. Guess what shows up. :facepalm:

Listen to the moron mother at the 2:30 mark. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
Good fucking god. I'm really going to be in awe if this is just kind of forgotten and nothing much is done about it.

Also yes. Magnificently mindless fucks.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2016, 04:12:16 AM »

So much fucking this.

I'm sorry for not being a single fucking ounce sorry. Throw all the "you don't know parenting" bullshit at me and all the excuses you (as in the people defending the parents) want but other than having the help of someone buying us food here and there, I raised my sisters and am now raising my niece and have taken both of them to zoos, the beach, pools, etc. countless times and not once has anything happened. It MIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT have something to do with me never once leaving their side, let alone out of my sight. It should be noted I've been called overbearing more than once. I take it as a compliment.

The way I pictured it before was that they were pretty much next to each other and the two year old just happened to be grabbed off the shoreline but most reports now paint a very different picture. I'm not going to sit here and blame it entirely on the parents or say that they deserved it because that's just not true (or warranted). I am however saying that people wanting to pussyfoot around this shit is fucking ridiculous. Same for the kid in the gorilla den. It's someone's fault and it sure as shit isn't the mindless beasts for saying "hey, some food...alone...exposed"; nor is it the kid because...they're children. Any situation that has the potential to be bad is going to be bad when you've got a toddler unsupervised.

It's horribly tragic and makes me sick. What makes me equally sick is halfwit fools attempting to defend the parents as if it was some freak accident or something that isn't pertaining to parenting. Even so, my heart goes out to the parents. It sounds like they were negligent, but it doesn't make it any less horrible. For as much as Disney and/or whoever the fuck owns those grounds is to blame, it's still on the parents (although there probably should be a BIG ASS sign posted every two feet given how absolutely dimwitted many people are; and I'll bet you there will be now). If you live in Florida and aren't on a constant watch for those monsters, you're a god damn mindless moron and that's about as sweetly as I can put it. It's not like a snake in the grass. It's a hulking beast that literally lurks in the water waiting for EXACTLY such an occasion. I'm also going to go out on a SUPER THIN LIMB and say that those parents will be like white on motherfucking rice with their other kids. That...is not a coincidence:-\

But yeah after this if nothing is done...I'm going to have some bad news for my niece because fuck Disney in their crusty, money-filled asses if this isn't mended as much as they possibly can with all of their billions. I mean at this point with all the news it's getting, there should be animal control, fences, signs every ten feet, more warning signs before you even reach the shore, and then some.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2016, 04:08:27 PM »
I'm watching Lake Placid...  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2016, 02:30:24 PM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2016, 02:46:42 PM »
This dude is fucking crazy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fZZUfvx0s

He will absolutely end up like that dude a few years back who was the supposed 'bear whisperer'.....was all up in the bears business up there in alaska and claimed they talked to one another and crap like that then the bears ate him and his girlfriend.

This croc is gonna feast on that dude. Reptiles can't be 'trained' and they don't feel 'love' or any of that stuff. They are perfect killing machines....all of them....well, most of them. But especially crocs. This guys dead and he doesn't even know it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »

He will absolutely end up like that dude a few years back who was the supposed 'bear whisperer'.....was all up in the bears business up there in alaska and claimed they talked to one another and crap like that then the bears ate him and his girlfriend.
Oh wow! I'm not familiar with this.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »

Oh wow! I'm not familiar with this.

Timothy Treadwell. He went on Lettermans show one time and Dave even said something along the lines of "you know you're gonna get eaten alive right?"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell