Author Topic: Swimming with Crocs- Animals...WTF??  (Read 34762 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Swimming with Crocs- Animals...WTF??
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:53:26 PM »
Ok so I just read this article:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/crocodile-snatches-woman-night-swimmer/ar-BBtCRGf

Now every few weeks I read an article like this. I am fascinated with crocodiles and alligators. Flicking the channels on TV, I will always stop if they are showing them.

Anyway, my question is; How fucking stupid can you be to go swimming where there are crocodiles?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:21:01 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Swimming with Crocs- The Official DTF Crocodile Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:26:59 PM »
Anyway, my question is; How fucking stupid can you be to go swimming where there are crocodiles?

Um...  *raises hand*  REALLY stupid?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 04:37:33 PM »
A resounding HELL NO!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 04:43:23 PM »
Ok so I just read this article:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/crocodile-snatches-woman-night-swimmer/ar-BBtCRGf

Now every few weeks I read an article like this. I am fascinated with crocodiles and alligators. Flicking the channels on TV, I will always stop if they are showing them.

This was all over the news and I live in the same state although this is in the far northern part of the state.

I had to chuckle as it was reported that there was signage about it being croc infested waters.  Don't know what the fuck they were thinking and the general thinking from authorities is that is was just plain dumb on her part. 

I laugh how they are reporting that they are searching for the women........yeah I don't think there's anything left.   Just shit for the women who saw it and her family, their stupidity has ruined a lot of lives.

It's Australia too ffs, we have crocs, anyone that lives here knows that haha.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
Yeah, it is really stupid, but just some people just like living on the edge and doing daring things with no fear.  Of course, there is often a fine line between daring and stupid. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:28:25 PM »
But in all seriousness, sometimes the line is a bit blurry.  Swimming somewhere where you might occasionally see a croc, but they usually keep to themselves on those rare occasions, is different than swimming in croc-infested waters.  People do the same thing where there can be sharks, etc. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 09:35:11 PM »
I am fascinated with crocodiles and alligators.

I am as well. I've been on more than a dozen airboat rides, and about 5 or 6 trolling boat trips on various rivers and swamps in the south to see them. And spent two days in Australia on a croc safari. They totally fascinate me.

Years ago I nearly dove into a canal full of alligators in Florida because I mistook them in the light of the evenings dusk for a pod of manatees that I decided I wanted to swim with. Yeah...pretty fucking stupid. One of the many times I've cheated death.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 04:02:46 AM »
Lived in Florida most of my life, so it doesn't phase me when I see a Gator.

EXCEPT FOR THIS MONSTROUS FUCKER THAT WAS JUST SPOTTED A FEW DAYS AGO IN PALMETTO, FL

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/06/01/giant-alligator-golf-course-clip-newday.cnn

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
Lived in Florida most of my life, so it doesn't phase me when I see a Gator.

EXCEPT FOR THIS MONSTROUS FUCKER THAT WAS JUST SPOTTED A FEW DAYS AGO IN PALMETTO, FL

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/06/01/giant-alligator-golf-course-clip-newday.cnn

came in here to post that one. Man, that is such a beast!!!  :metal   I'm a lifelong reptile lover and have kept hundreds of snakes, turtles, lizards as pets.....Crocodiles and Alligators are so fascinating.

A few weeks back a buddy of mine posted a pic to FB of a small gator head next to the bank of a river.....the Mississippi River here in St. Louis! He was out fishing and looked over and saw it.  :omg: Judging from the head (only thing visible) looked to be a three or four foot long one. Clearly someone had dumped it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
Well, now I am know I am not going near the Mississippi any time soon... :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
That gator on the golf course was ridiculous! I saw that last week.

Temp, that's awesome about the Croc Safari. I'd love to go to Australia, but that plane ride. Yikes! But that's a while other thread!

Everytime we go to Disney we always try and spot one. In April, We saw a huge one right outside the south entrance hanging by one of those ponds near the road.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 01:16:38 PM »
Damn... Came to say "what a dumb lady" and here comes fucking K. Rool fucking shit up on the golf course. That shit is insane. Fuck that noise.

I think sometimes people forget these things... ARE FUCKING DINOSAURS.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »

I think sometimes people forget these things... ARE FUCKING DINOSAURS.
:lol

Yup, that's what I always tell my kids.

@ Accelerando: In the Animal Kingdom, near the um..Dinosaur ride, they have a GIANT Alligator in a small pen. Given what happened last week with the kid and the gorilla, I can't help but notice how easy it would be to jump in there. Are there any precautions that you can speak of regarding this. My wife thinks they sedate the thing.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 06:37:23 PM »
My house down in Florida, there is a small lake at the end of my back yard. The property is fenced in, bit there is one gator that lives in the lake and he will come out and just chill right on the other side of the fence. He is not real big, about 6-8 feet I gather. You get used to them.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 02:03:42 AM »

@ Accelerando: In the Animal Kingdom, near the um..Dinosaur ride, they have a GIANT Alligator in a small pen. Given what happened last week with the kid and the gorilla, I can't help but notice how easy it would be to jump in there. Are there any precautions that you can speak of regarding this. My wife thinks they sedate the thing.

I know exactly the one you are talking about!

I don't know much about the animal care and veterinary facilities of that park. When I go there, I'm just as much of a guest like everyone else being sucked into the wonders of that park. The only time I worked in that park was when I was Production Coordinator of the media team and has shoots. So, i'm not sure what the precautions are for that pen other than "don't toss your child over the barriers." However, Disney's number one priority is the safety of their guests and employees, so i'm sure they thought through all safety measures of that pen and the rest of the animal encounters throughout the park.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 02:14:26 PM »
Believe it or not, I actually graduated High School with Paul Bedard of the Gator Boys show. I do not remember him being insane like this. He was actually very quiet.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 02:18:51 PM »
Since the lady was devoured by a croc a few days ago , two locals (a surfer and a diver) have been killed by sharks.

We look forward to welcoming you to Australia on your camping/surfing trip Tim  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 02:19:52 PM »
Since the lady was devoured by a croc a few days ago , two locals (a surfer and a diver) have been killed by sharks.

We look forward to welcoming you to Australia on your camping/surfing trip Tim  ;D

Can't wait!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »
Don't forget your alligator boots Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
Don't forget your alligator boots Tim.

..and my

:neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »

I hope to God you don't own those.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
No way in hell.  :lol

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 03:50:19 PM »
This thread reminded me of an episode of Archer  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH2HN1JNzOM

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »
Much like spiders, I'm both fascinated and terrified of crocs/gators. I tend to dream about them a lot, and those dreams aren't very fun.

Offline Cable

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 12:51:41 AM »
 :'( I was going to originally make a joke in this thread when it started. No longer appropriate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36535791?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:03:50 AM by CableX »
---

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 01:16:44 AM »
Jesus.

I can't even imagine. Don't wanna imagine.

Since my niece was born and having spent more time raising her than anyone but my sisters, I've got such a feral instinct of protection over her. But something like that...you're kind of powerless unless you just get lucky or get the animal to get you instead of the kid (which I'd gladly do in less than a heartbeat). I'd probably drown trying to get the gator, but those fuckers can't be caught if they get underwater.

Even growing up in Louisiana and seeing and being near both crocs and gators, I'm not nearly as nonchalant as I am some of my coonass brethren about them. They're beasts and we're their food (I was about to say unless you're well armed but even then, it's a toss up). No ifs, ands or buts about it. It's one of those few animals that even with some firepower, you just don't fuck around with them. Gotta say, if I was in Florida with my kids/family...pretty sure I wouldn't so much as go near any freshwater rivers, lakes and if I did, you can bet your ass I'm going to be glued at the hip to whoever I'm with if they're not an adult. Plenty of dipshit adults do stupid shit all the time knowing full well the consequences but a kid...they just don't know. :'( :'(

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 05:52:09 AM »
:'( I was going to originally make a joke in this thread when it started. No longer appropriate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36535791?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=

I was just coming into the thread to post this article:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/alligator-attacks-2-year-old-boy-at-disneys-grand-floridian-recovery-effort-continues/ar-AAh40fF?li=BBnb7Kz

This is sickening and so unavoidable. My wife and I are floored. We are DVC members and have been there easily over 30 times. We have seen a few alligators and I find Disney personnel so nonchalant about them. We saw one inside the Magic Kingdom, and told the guy when we got off the steamboat, and he kind of laughed it off. We've gone speed boating in the Seven Seas Lagoon and they're like, yeah there's alligators out there.
I can't believe this hasn't happened before. I wonder how many times alligators have gotten into the pools at night. Especially at The Grand Floridian, where the zero entry pool is so close to the shoreline.
The warning signs on the beach at only state No Swimming. There are no warning signs about alligators. Disney should either eradicate them from their grounds or put up fencing at the shoreline.
I would expect some changes. Disney typically makes changes but it's always after an accidents. Like doors on the parking lot trams. I mean how many people had to have fallen out before they did that?

There are tons of beach-like areas in Disney and many of their resorts. It's only natural a child will be building sandcastles and whatnot. This is disgraceful.

I will say that near the shuffleboard and basketball courts at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, at least there are alligator warning signs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 06:12:17 AM »
Awful story. Just awful.

You feel awful for the parents, while at the same time questioning why in the hell they would let their kid swim in the water even though there were apparently NO SWIMMING signs everywhere.  Poor kid didn't know any better, but the parents should have.  Just a crushing story all-around. :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2016, 06:19:33 AM »
With so many pools to swim in.  It's such a sad, sad story.  People please stop swimming in ponds and lakes in the deep south.  Swim in a pool.  Please.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2016, 06:24:49 AM »
My understanding was that the child was not swimming. The thing is, there are so many beach front type areas, and with so many kids.
We've walked along those areas plenty of times.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2016, 06:31:08 AM »
I've been there myself many times.  I do understand but at this point parents need to be the buffer for the child like a car driving by as well not walk in the night when it is to dark to recognize what's coming at them.  Disney has so much to offer, walk anywhere but those beach like areas.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 06:46:15 AM »
There are times to blame parents for their stupidity. This is not one of those times. Seriously, the age parent shaming on the internet needs to end. The kid was walking on the shore of a beach. Being from Nebraska ,where this family is from, I wouldn't think twice about a gator snatching my kid. I can't even imagine what those parent are going through. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 06:49:10 AM »
Sorry, but I'm from NH and I know about the crocks.  I just think parents need to be on alert next to water in Florida.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 07:10:59 AM »
Just to be clear that comment wasn't necessarily directed at people here but at the internet in general. It's the gorilla thing all over again. Maybe I should put this in the Things that Piss me Off thread.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 07:16:31 AM »
I feel for the parents no doubt.  That one minute of not being on high alert.  I just think that in certain situations like walking on a street or in a parking lot, you have to be the alert one.