Author Topic: 12 Monkeys (TV show) on SyFy  (Read 2855 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
12 Monkeys (TV show) on SyFy
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:39:29 AM »
I didn't see a preexisting thread.

Anyone else a fan?  I find this to be an incredibly well-done show, better than expected from SyFy.  If you like science fiction or time travel, this is fantastic IMO.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: 12 Monkeys (TV show) on SyFy
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »
I know you and I have talked about this show in the TV thread. I totally dig this show and think it's really well done. I'd never have imagined they'd be able to take the material from the book/movie and turn it into what they have.

Very neat show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 04:20:20 PM »
Didn't know there was a TV series.  Even though the movie sucked, the premise was actually pretty cool, so this might be worth checking out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
Didn't know there was a TV series.  Even though the movie sucked, the premise was actually pretty cool, so this might be worth checking out.

This show does a good job of not relying on the movie for too much other than the basic premise and character names. And it's expanded so far beyond the scope of the movie now, it's pretty cool.

It's a cool watch.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 06:45:14 AM »
TBH, I like this show a metric shit ton more than the film.  The film was messy and all over the place.

I think that Brad Pitt gave an interesting performance, and that has made it stick out more in the memories of some fans than the actual film warrants.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »
TBH, I like this show a metric shit ton more than the film.  The film was messy and all over the place.

I think that Brad Pitt gave an interesting performance, and that has made it stick out more in the memories of some fans than the actual film warrants.

I completely agree. Had Pitt not had that performance I don't think the movie would have been even tolerable, he made it interesting. The show is a total different monster and thus far has done nothing but impress.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
Holy cow Hef this last episode was awesome! This show keeps getting better. And I'm not gonna lie....got a bit misty eyed at the reveal there at the end of the episode.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:57:14 AM »
Holy cow Hef this last episode was awesome! This show keeps getting better. And I'm not gonna lie....got a bit misty eyed at the reveal there at the end of the episode.
I know, I just watched it this morning lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 07:51:36 AM »
I know, I just watched it this morning lol

I loved the 'Groundhog Day' props they threw in there....that was a funny scene.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »
Yep.  Great touch.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 09:30:19 AM »
This show continues to satisfy. Anyone who is a fan of SciFi shows/movies really needs to get in on this....

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
Just read that season 3 will hit in May, and that the show has been renewed for a fourth and final season to follow.

Also, the entirety of season 3 will drop in three consecutive days (4 episodes on the debut, the next 3 the next day, and the final 3 the next day).

Kinky.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
Just read that season 3 will hit in May, and that the show has been renewed for a fourth and final season to follow.

Also, the entirety of season 3 will drop in three consecutive days (4 episodes on the debut, the next 3 the next day, and the final 3 the next day).

Kinky.

What an odd way to air a season. It's more like a mini series format. They must realize the 'binge watch' culture and may be testing a new series delivery system?

Either way, pumped for that and that they have a 4th season coming.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
What an odd way to air a season. It's more like a mini series format. They must realize the 'binge watch' culture and may be testing a new series delivery system?
That was the exact reason given.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
Just binged season 3. This show is awesome. Cant recommend it enough.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 11:48:48 PM »
Just binged season 3. This show is awesome. Cant recommend it enough.

Agreed. Season 1 took a while to draw me in, but season 2 and 3 were fabulous.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »
Just spent 2 nights watching the first 9 episodes of Season 4. Holy crap. I'm all set to watch the series finale on Friday now. I don't want this show to end.

I'm also a huge fan of the movie and really appreciate what they have done with this show and some of the ways they have paid homage to the film.

I just have feeling it won't be a happy ending. I never expected one from the time the show started, but I think it needs to be unhappy to be right. If you get my drift.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 02:51:31 PM »
I've been letting them load up and need to get on it. Love this show.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »
Just finished the finale. I'm not sniffling. i don't need to blow my nose. I'm a grown man.

Man, what a freakin' show. That finale will have people talking for years. The final freakin' shot. Oh man.

Thought I knew how it would end and then I didn't, then I did, now.....? The final shot.

So thankful they were given the time to wrap the show up right. One of the best, with an amazing cast to boot. Jennifer will forever be one of my all-time favorite tv characters ever.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
Watched the first five episodes of final season last night. Had to force myself to go to bed. This show really is incredible and after reading your post I cannot wait to finish this up.....but then again, it’ll be over then  :'(

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
Yeah, Twitter was ablaze last night with people gushing over the finale. I already saw several publications (and general people) refer to it as one of the greatest show finale's ever. Can't argue. Terry Matalas is a genius and I don't think a single thing was left unanswered. He's been answering questions on Twitter and being very open as well.

The consensus on this has been stunning, and satisfying.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 01:56:10 AM »
Wow. What a finale. Such an amazing series. Perfect in many aspects....including the ending.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »
The final freakin' shot. Oh man.

Yeah. So...what’s your opinion? Is James alive...snuck in a back door of time to have a ‘happily ever now’ life with Cassie? Or did Cassie not pull the plug on the tower and they’re just in the red forest?

I lean towards the ‘true’ happy ending....he’s alive and well but could totally see it the other way also.

I agree that Jennifer was a killer character...honestly, there were several cool characters and that’s why the show/series worked as well as it did.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »
Don't know if I have decided. I was perfectly happy with it ending with Cassie saying 'See you soon' and then fading out. The whole end sequence coupled with the red leaf has me confused. Someone asked Terry Matalas point blank and his answer was that he is an optimist and he's going with Cole is alive. Of course, you could just say 'Nature!' and it was Fall and that just happened to be the first leaf to turn.

Now, I remember during the countdown part that I was saying loudly 'don't do the stupid stop at 1 sec troupe'. I immediately noticed they never showed the actual stopping point but thought nothing of it until someone on Twitter posited that Cassie never actually stopped it.

So, I don't know. The ending I wanted, like I said, was Cole being wiped and everything going on nicely. But, how does Cassie remember Cole? It seems that no one else does.

It's like they gave us a choose your own adventure finale. My first thought upon viewing the red leaf was that Cole was in the forest. That Jones found some way to put him there, but even I don't really think that makes sense. As you can you, I am conflicted. This is something that will be endlessly debated among the fan base, and that's a good thing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 01:08:36 AM »
SyFi has a good show and didn't drop it already? WOW.  :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 07:12:25 AM »
SyFi has a good show and didn't drop it already? WOW.  :biggrin:

:lol    No kidding. But yeah, this show is pretty friggin good if you’re in to time travel and ‘scifi’. They did an excellent job of making a series out of that story.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 04:41:54 AM »
So I'm about 7 episodes in and I'm trying to like it and get into it, but I'm having a hard time connecting to the characters. The main protagonist (Cole) comes across like a major douchebag to me, who kills anyone if it helps achieve his goal. They should have given that role to Kirk Acevedo, dammit. The settings all look the same to me, I don't know. I'll stick it out for a couple more, I guess.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 04:58:42 PM »
I’m surprised to hear that. I was hooked pretty much immediately and certainly by the 7th episode. I’ll admit Cole takes a bit to warm up to but I think that actor pulled off the character and made it his own.

If you like a good time travel/Sci fi story I think it’s one of the best ones out there though from start to finish.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 01:17:32 AM »
Okay, finished season 1 and I've come around. Second half of the season was actually pretty good and creative. Main character is a lot more likeable as well.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
Okay, finished season 1 and I've come around. Second half of the season was actually pretty good and creative. Main character is a lot more likeable as well.

As a big fan of the show I'm glad that it's become enjoyable for you. I'll be curious to hear your opinion of the series after you finish it.