Author Topic: Preacher (AMC)  (Read 3599 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Preacher (AMC)
« on: May 31, 2016, 06:58:30 AM »
I watched the pilot for Preacher last night. Anyone else?

I thought it was a ripper! What an odd mix of serious drama, dark comedy and gory Looney-Tunes violence. I'm not familiar with the comic, at all, so please don't spoil the show! Tiny text is cool though.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Preacher (AMC)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:00:05 AM »
I watched it. I'm not familiar with the comic either....it was pretty good. Kind of all over the place but I'm guessing their laying the groundwork for things to come.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:59 AM »
...it was pretty good.

I don't disagree. I was entertained but not ecstatic and only really connected with Jesse's character. The humor fell just a bit flat...perhaps intentionally. Cassidy will take some getting used to because I don't really understand what he says! I think it has real potential. I have set the DVR, so we'll see.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »
I thought the pilot was okay but there seems to be potential so I'm going to give it a few more episodes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
It was different from the comic, but it had a lot of the tone of the comic, so that's OK.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:11:30 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, but loove the comic. Have heard mixed things so far.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 09:32:35 AM »
Watched the pilot and very much enjoyed it as someone who's not familiar with the comics. The TV critic I usually read (Alan Sepinwall) is a fan of the comics and seems to be on board so far. My understanding is that a straight adaptation wouldn't really be feasible on TV, and like hef said, it does keep the spirit of the source material.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »
My understanding is that a straight adaptation wouldn't really be feasible on TV, and like hef said, it does keep the spirit of the source material.
I don't know that it wouldn't be feasible.  It would certainly be unusual, but this fucking show is going to be unusual compared to the rest of the TV landscape either way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
Did anyone catch episode 2 yet? Mrs. P and I watched it last night and laughed ourselves sick at one point. I think Cassidy is quickly becoming my favorite.  :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »
I thought the chainsaw was hilarious
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »
I love how it kept stalling out!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
Just watched the pilot and episode one. So far so good, though there are things I don't like compared to the comic. I really wish it was set in the nineties, too. And not sure how I feel about the angels. But I did mostly dig Cassidy and Tulip's entrances. And Arseface  :heart

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 06:37:47 AM »
Is it just me or is this show really hard to follow what's going on? Maybe it will make more sense once more information is shown on the characters.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 10:12:51 AM »
Just watched the pilot and episode one. So far so good, though there are things I don't like compared to the comic. I really wish it was set in the nineties, too. And not sure how I feel about the angels. But I did mostly dig Cassidy and Tulip's entrances. And Arseface  :heart

We don't have any frame of reference since neither of us have ever heard of the comic. At this point I'm pretty happy about that. I can easily imagine how this would be epic in comic format but so far I'm enjoying being ignorant.  :biggrin:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
I also know nothing of the comic so I am ignorantly entertained so far by this batshit insane show
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
Is it just me or is this show really hard to follow what's going on? Maybe it will make more sense once more information is shown on the characters.

There definitely does seem to be some sort of backstory that the viewer is not privy to and the world that is set up is quite bizarre. Hopefully they'll make the world "rules" a little clearer.

Never read the comics but I feel like I should. I'm more in awe at how insane the show is and how all the characters just flow with it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »

There definitely does seem to be some sort of backstory that the viewer is not privy to and the world that is set up is quite bizarre. Hopefully they'll make the world "rules" a little clearer.

Never read the comics but I feel like I should. I'm more in awe at how insane the show is and how all the characters just flow with it.

Yep. I'm hoping not being a comic reader of this isn't ruining something for me. I do feel lost with all the shuffling storylines and conversations that feel like inside information. I'm sure it'll pan out but it's a tad sporadic

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »
Gary,

Due to weird circumstances, I wound up watching the pilot three times. The first time, I was entertained but bewildered, especially by Cassidy's dialog. The second time made much more sense. The third and I felt completely at home.

Perhaps I'm just slow or maybe other's would benefit from multiple viewings.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 01:22:16 PM »
Gary,

Due to weird circumstances, I wound up watching the pilot three times. The first time, I was entertained but bewildered, especially by Cassidy's dialog. The second time made much more sense. The third and I felt completely at home.

Perhaps I'm just slow or maybe other's would benefit from multiple viewings.

:tup     I may try another viewing...thanks Gregg

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
The level of insanity in the show so far does not compare to the comic IMO. So I don't think there's anything crazy about it.  It actually seems a bit tame right now, except for all the violence.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »
After the last episode I noticed I'm finding myself really 'trying' hard to like this show. I feel like I should like it.....but it's not resonating with me. I'm giving it one, maybe two more episodes. Unless something drastically changes I don't see me finishing the season on this one. Too many other shows out there that I could be watching rather than dedicating time to a show I'm forcing myself to like and watch.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 07:37:21 AM »
After the last episode I noticed I'm finding myself really 'trying' hard to like this show. I feel like I should like it.....but it's not resonating with me. I'm giving it one, maybe two more episodes. Unless something drastically changes I don't see me finishing the season on this one. Too many other shows out there that I could be watching rather than dedicating time to a show I'm forcing myself to like and watch.

I agree. My wife likes it and I'll finish the season but it will probably get dropped.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 10:54:51 AM »
I agree that it's not as compelling as it could be and is perhaps a little too weird. Jesse Custer is just so hard to root for.

Still, I'll keep watching just so I can go along with Cassidy's adventures!  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »
I agree with Jackie, the show is nowhere near as weird as the comic.

I am enjoying the show, but it seems to be on a slow burn.  A little too slow.  Really crazy shit should be happening by now.  I don't doubt that we will see some, but FFS hurry up.

I feel like the cast is doing a pretty good job, although I would have cast someone different as Tulip.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 07:44:30 AM »
but it seems to be on a slow burn.  A little too slow. 

yeah....and it's really obvious that they are doing this. And to me at least it seems like they are counting on people 'knowing' the source material before viewing? Like I mentioned....I want to like it because it's done in my type of style. But jeez....gimme something to wet my appetite. Thus far it's only been my curiosity and the word of those who know the source material that it is good that have kept me watching.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 07:52:55 AM »

yeah....and it's really obvious that they are doing this. And to me at least it seems like they are counting on people 'knowing' the source material before viewing?
Not that I can tell.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 07:57:19 AM »

yeah....and it's really obvious that they are doing this. And to me at least it seems like they are counting on people 'knowing' the source material before viewing?
Not that I can tell.

OK. I thought maybe I was missing something.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 08:01:50 AM »
No, I am missing something.  I'm missing all the batshit craziness I was expecting from this show.

I mean, there certainly is some, and the plot is different, which will automatically change the way some things are rolled out, I suppose. 

I wish they had had the confidence to do a straight adaptation. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 08:10:23 AM »
No, I am missing something.  I'm missing all the batshit craziness I was expecting from this show.

I mean, there certainly is some, and the plot is different, which will automatically change the way some things are rolled out, I suppose. 

I wish they had had the confidence to do a straight adaptation.

does the comic just jump right into it...the craziness you're talking about?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »
Yeah, kind of. 

All the mystery behind what kind of power Jesse has received is explained (kind of) in the first issue of the comic.  Also, there is a certain character that hasn't shown up yet on the show that I am dying to see.

I like the show, but it's different.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 06:55:56 AM »
Well, that episode was fucking crazy.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 01:08:42 PM »
Yes it was. Easily my favorite so far. Just started reading the comics as well and I feel like I understand the show a whole lot better.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 01:29:38 PM »
I'm sure folks will like this show but it's not for me. Removed it from the Que. just didn't resonate with me and I basically was forcing myself to watch it....too many other shows to keep up with to have this one eat up time when I'm not in to it.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 02:38:02 PM »
Well, that episode was fucking crazy.

That opening with the Seraph was hilarious. Mrs P's face was all

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 06:35:01 AM »
So what are everyones thoughts on the finale? I thought it was great and loved that they made this season a prequal to the comics. Next season should be amazing.