Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 84160 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yet another game I haven't heard of :lol but when I read the title of the game I thought of Space Station 13 which this game is not. Great write-up and i'm looking forward to reading about number 1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Never heard of it, but reading the words Metroidvania and your writeup and I'm adding it to my list  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
the thread title reigns supreme

My #1 was actually on someone else's list (though fairly low) and I looked and found it and I'd commented that if I did my list it'd probably be my #1.

past me was pretty spot on apparently

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

1. Knytt Underground

Is this the best looking game on my list? No. The world design is pretty gorgeous, a mixture of black foreground and colorful backgrounds, but the character designs are... not as great, very basic and not particularly appealing. That doesn't matter. Is this the hardest game on my list? Not at all, there's no real difficulty curve to this game due to its nonlinear progression, and even at it's hardest it's not too tough. That doesn't matter. Is this the largest or most varied game on my list? Nope, runs about 20 hours at max and primarily sticks to its two main styles of gameplay without really having any extra side missions. That doesn't matter.

Simply put, playing this game is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The first time I played it, specifically, but due to the sheer size of the game map it's actually quite replayable, since every playthrough is going to be quite different just by necessity. There's just something about getting lost in this strange but slightly familiar world, exploring the many different areas of the tunnels. Some of them beautiful and soothing, some of them unsettling or outright terrifying. It's really all about getting lost in the atmosphere of the game above all else for me, because it's probably the best and most compelling atmosphere of any game I've ever played. And the soundtrack definitely helps with that; a lot of chill ambient stuff but it's very moody, almost always matching the environment each track plays in perfectly.

What is the gameplay like, you ask? Basically, it's an exploration platformer - specifically NOT a metroidvania, as once you hit the main game after the two short tutorial chapters, you're free to go almost anywhere you want to immediately.You play as Mi, who can climb any vertical wall, though not across ceilings, and the only other move she has is the ability to jump. And due to shenanigans, Mi has ended up fused with Bob the Ball, whose gameplay mostly consists of bouncing around, using momentum to get to places Mi is unable to get to herself. It's an interesting mix of more precise but limited platforming and less controllable but more free platforming, and there's a lot of interesting scenarios set up across the game's world.

There's also some platforming puzzles centered around the colored orbs of light you can pick up which generally give Mi a bit more mobility (or an actual attack, which she lacks normally) and there are again quite a number of interesting puzzles based around these. As with Environmental Station Alpha, one thing that makes exploration in this game really enjoyable is the fully dense map - and here, the map is quite a bit larger, a solid 48 by 30 rectangle of rooms, nearly 1500 rooms in all, even discounting the secret stuff lying outside of the main map. And with a few exceptions, a few small areas locked off by quests, you can get anywhere you want, so if you see a hole in the map and don't know how to access it, you're usually just missing a hidden passage into the room tucked away somewhere not quite obvious.

The game also features quite a number of quests, which tend to be just going off and collecting an item or two in the overworld and returning to the NPC, but there's usually a small bit of story tied to each quest, and some of them can get pretty interesting. It's small peeks into the lives of the other denizens of the underground, and often they reveal the lore of the world in bits in pieces alongside the small tasks accomplished. The game brings up a lot of philosophy and moral dilemmas but it never really forces the answers down your throat, just leaves them there for you to think about. Oh and the moral choice system of the game, yeah. Mi is mute and has two fairies who have to do all the talking for her, and while they start out as "the nice one" and "the mean one" there's far more depth to their characters than that. There are even some quests you can't start until the fairies have developed more as characters, and it's really interesting to see the two very basic personalities fleshed out into interesting characters.

The overarching plot itself is pretty basic - Mi has to ring 6 bells or the world is going to end... maybe. And the game is set after some apocalyptic event that ended all life above ground, leading all the surviving creatures to take up residence underground. One of the common elements throughout the game is human technology being vastly misinterpreted - but not really in a comical way, more of a "what would other beings think of human technology and language if they had absolutely no context given and had to make assumptions themselves". And there's even a god metaphor pushed onto humanity itself, but not in a preachy way. The writing as a whole is generally just pretty clever, decently funny and usually pretty smart, while having its main characters develop during the long journey.

Honestly I could probably ramble on for hours about how incredibly good this game is, and how everyone should go play it and experience it for themselves and all but. You really should, it's #1 here for quite a good reason. No frustration to be had, no unpleasant or stupid themes, just great atmosphere and enjoyable gameplay and a lot of surprisingly unpretentious philosophy that really does make you think. To think that I got this game from a bundle without really thinking much of it at the time, and when I did get around to playing it I loved it enough to consider it one of my favorite games of all time. And heck, it's my favorite now, apparently, unless something comes along that I enjoy even more. Excellent game. Probably not for everyone, but for me it's just... the best.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
Yes!

After I read your write up, I went ahead and bought the game on Steam since it is really cheap and when I started playing through it, it did not disappoint and I am glad you put this game up on your list.

I had around 3 dollars left in Steam so I browsed through some games that were cheap and couldn't decide on which one I wanted, but at that almost exact time, you posted this write up and I was quick to check it on Steam and bam, I bought it and it did not disappoint.

Thank you Parama :tup, you just made my New Years much more better.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Yeah this one sounds pretty interesting, I'll add it to my list  :corn

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy shit! A game I've heard of!

Whoa, crazy Steam sale going on right now. Loading up, and including this one.

Now, do I splurge the $0.69 on Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
heck yeah  :metal

Online OpenYourEyes311

the thread title reigns supreme

My #1 was actually on someone else's list (though fairly low) and I looked and found it and I'd commented that if I did my list it'd probably be my #1.

past me was pretty spot on apparently

It was MEEEEE!!

Great game, and list! I actually almost posted about this game on your write up of #2, when you said the map filled all the way up, I was like "that reminds me of KNYTT!" Haha, sure enough, number one.

But this game is totally deserving of high praise. As you said, it's a beautiful game, and so much fun to play. I did love the different approach to the metroidvania genre, where you can literally go anywhere from the beginning, you just have to figure out how to get there.

:)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't heard of the game but I'll put it on my wishlist for the next steam sale. It looks really interesting.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Hey black_floyd, would it be possible if you can put me down on the waiting list? I just created the list and I'm going to refurbish it. After that, I'll be good to go. Thanks!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Sweet :tup

Keep the lists coming!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah someone else start so I can go back to not recognizing any games posted

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Hey black_floyd, would it be possible if you can put me down on the waiting list? I just created the list and I'm going to refurbish it. After that, I'll be good to go. Thanks!

Will do. I'm gonna update the OP to include your name in its proper place on the waiting list. Welcome aboard  :tup
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

• DT.net Member
I already contacted jarlaxle and adace a few minutes ago to ask if either was ready to start their list. I'm giving jarlaxle til Tuesday and adace until Wednesday to respond and if neither is ready to go, Blind Faythe will hopefully start her list on Thursday. If not, Serah Farron can start on Friday. Just check into this thread daily and I'll keep you all posted on who gets to start and when depending on who responds to me based on the original waiting list order of Jarlaxle>adace>Blind Faythe>Serah Farron.

Thanks to all of you for your continued participation and interest in this thread ©2017 _floyd holdings LLC.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Awesome, black Floyd! Thanks for running this! :tup

And once more, nice list Parama.

• DT.net Member
No prob :) I gotta give plenty of credit to sacul as well since he started it all and ran the original thread for way longer than I have. Running this thing ain't too much effort anyway, fortunately, since all I have to do is send like 3-5 PMs and spend about 10 minutes updating the OP every 6-8 weeks. I'm just glad everyone bonds and enjoys this as much as they do plus discovers plenty new games to play.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
No prob :) I gotta give plenty of credit to sacul as well since he started it all and ran the original thread for way longer than I have. Running this thing ain't too much effort anyway, fortunately, since all I have to do is send like 3-5 PMs and spend about 10 minutes updating the OP every 6-8 weeks. I'm just glad everyone bonds and enjoys this as much as they do plus discovers plenty new games to play.

:tup
Ah yes, I enjoyed reading the past lists and I'm happy to say that I found lots of amazing games to play. I'm glad you have time to run this and spend your life, it means so much.

Hopefully people will play some games that are in my top 25 because I fell in love with those games for a reason and some are free.

Anyways, I appreciate you running this again.

• DT.net Member
No prob. I have no kids, am single, not currently in school, and only work like 35 hours a week so this doesn't impose on me much but you're quite welcome regardless.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Yea this is definitely one of favorite threads on the forum.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
So yeah, bf and I PM'ed and we decided I'll go on Thursday if Jarlaxle and Adace don't respond. :)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Sweet!

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Sweet!

I hope you enjoy my list and maybe even play or buy some of them. :D
Thanks for waiting! :tup

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Well, Black_Floyd gave me an O.K to start today, so I guess we can begin? Yes, let's begin! Alright, every day, I will try to make 1-2 write ups a day, if not more, if time permits. Most of these games on my list are free to play and you play it online, so why not give it a try, if you'd like.

The top three things I love to do when I'm bored are: music, reading, and games. Mostly, I find myself gearing towards gaming and it ranges from either PC games or PS4 games. Funny thing is 24/25 of these games are all PC games, but that doesn't mean I don't like the PS4, I just find myself playing the PC much more.

So grab a popcorn, prop your feet on your desk, and relax as I take you through..........

25 (Mostly Free) Games That I <3 To Death

I will be posting the honorable mentions soon. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:34:52 PM by Serah Farron »

• DT.net Member
25 (Mostly Free) Games That I <3 To Death

lol thought this was a link.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Yea you had me fooled too :lol

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Honorable Mentions:

Presentable Liberty - This game.....is soul touching in many, many different ways. At first, when I played the game, I had absolutely no idea what the heck was going on. Who the heck is sending me letters, why am I in a jail cell, who the heck is Dr. Money? As the story progressed and I fell deeper into confusion, I grew very irritated (this game can take over an hour to complete), and I gave up on the game. After I had gathered myself and resumed playing it until the ending, that was when the pieces in the puzzle fell in slowly. After this game had wrapped up, I stood there for the longest time, speechless, shocked. After you have finished playing this game, there is a big chance this game could change your life and make you rethink about the world. Honestly, this game has hit me huge as I completed the game. Do you want to reveal Dr. Money (this game's antagonists) dark secret? Play it for yourselves and find out.

7 Days - Here it is, a survival horror game. First off, this game has no real main objective except to the survive and the developer's are working on this game to make it linear and have real objectives. As each day passes, the zombies get much more harder and more difficult, which I enjoy. This game has many challenges as you can get hungry, the zombies are more aggressive during the night, yet you can break, create, and repair items to help you fend off against the zombies. Really keeps you on your toes as you are playing it and you must be alert and aware of your surroundings or else one of those things are going to......

Maere - YOU NEED VIRTUAL REALITY OR AN OCULUS RIFT TO PLAY THIS GAME
"They've promised that dreams can come true ,but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams too."
- Oscar Wilde
This quote man, is the truth. Aren't nightmares considered dreams also? Anyways, this is another horror game with one straight objective. Dude, GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE! This also features one of my most embarrassing moments because this game scared me sooo freaking much, the sight was not pretty. My parents must've thought I was being murdered or something! There are 21 corridors in the room and a lot of turns and corners. Ok, so there is this meanie monster named "Le Mange Lumière," who stalks you like a big freak. To avoid him, you must walk in the opposite direction and turn corners to lose him as he is much slower than you. If you feel your flashlight die and your screen go wobbly and you see lightbulbs screwing off, that means you are dead, ok? Game over. Though the main scare isn't from him. There is this really creepy girl who claims she is helping you and teleports suddenly to where you are. She can't harm you, yes, but her jump scare is freaking creepy! I almost had a heart attack. This game....

Slenderman - Yes, I know that this game is super old, yet this horror game paved way for me other horror games which I've played and enjoyed. I'm sure a lot you have heard of or even played this game. You are a girl lost in the forest and this really sharp looking faceless man with tentacles keeps on stalking you. If you stare directly at him for too long, your screen goes static and you will die. You must collect all 8 notes to (beat)? the game. He can't move as long as you are in his direct line of sight so look at him and back away slowly, though staring at him for too long means death. What I love about this game is ambiance. First off, this game is super silent at the beginning with Slenderman not active at all (unless you wait for too long). As you collect more notes, more sounds begin appearing. The howling of a wind....booming....weird static noises and when you look at him, BOOM! That sound. After you collect all 8 pages the sounds immediately stop and silence. Then......DEATH.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Action Unleashed U - Ok, ok, I'm going to contain myself to a paragraph because this game can get me going and going for like forever. A game in this series occupies my number one and three spots because this is awesome! I will not go on to why it's awesome until waaay later into this write up, but I will explain why a game from my favorite series ended up in the H.M and no the actual list. Well, although this game is very fun, the plot for this game is absolutely weak and is the one and only game from this series I've grown bored of. Basically, there are two reporters: Dengekiko and Famitsu who want to write a juicy story about a nation's CPU and its candidate. Basically, there are 4 CPU's, four female goddess' who rule over each world: Lastation, Lowee, Leanbox, and Planeptune (more info. later), and 4 CPU Candidates, the younger sisters of the CPU. Dengekiko ends up teaming with the CPU's and Famitsu teams up with the candidates to see who can think of the most ground breaking stories. Later, an evil comes in and uh....strips their clothes (yeah, this game is kinda perverted, but cute at the same time) and they are shamed in front of everyone. They team up and defeat the evil as Deng and Famitsu decides to team up. So yeah, as I've said before, this game is mostly directed towards male audiences, but I still find the game to be sometimes cute and addicting.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I've haven't heard of any of those games except Slenderman. I loved that game, talk about a blast from the past. I'll give the other ones a quick google.

Great writeups :tup

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
I've haven't heard of any of those games except Slenderman. I loved that game, talk about a blast from the past. I'll give the other ones a quick google.

Great writeups :tup

<3
Thanks Reap! Hope at least one of them catches your eyes. :D

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Number 25: Night Blights

Here is Night Blights! This is a survival horror game and you have to spend seven days with the really cute Night Blights!! Ok, that was a lie. That was not cute at all. They are hungry for you. They want to eat you as they rip your flesh piece by piece as your or-......ok, I'll stop. Seriously though, they do want you dead and the only way to satisfy their hunger is to feed them your toys. ^.^ You are playing as a little boy and you have to survive 7 nights and on the 7th night, end their poor miserable lives once and for all...:(....using glowsticks. :)

The first night is very easy and gets you accustomed to the rules of the game. Ok, just so you guys understand the plot, I will explain it. As the Night Blights peek out of their locations, you must either trigger something or feed them your toys scattered around the house and it will satisfy them for a while. It gets increasingly difficult each day as the Blight's movements become more sporadic and aggressive and as much more things need to be kept in check in order for you to survive. The Night Blights can be in two sets of locations: 1) under the bed and 2) in a wardrobe. If you hear the Blight's growling from the bed, feed them your toys and they will go away. Also, the wardrobes will creak open and you must close it before the Blight's escape.

Tuesday is a bit more challenging as you now also have to press the red button to shut the garage door when you hear the garage door opening and spin the baby mobile to scare away a Blight who wants to eat your baby brother. Now, in addition to checking the beds and wardrobes, two more tasks are added. Wednesday has two more tasks: 1) flush the toilet when you hear the Blight's in the restroom and 2) fan the fireplace with the bellows to keep the fire going, as well as all the tasks from before. Thursday is the final night where new threats appear. You must keep track of Blight's hiding in plants and the air vents.

Friday and Saturday are extremely difficult nights so better say your prayers. The Night Blight's will appear very constantly and you must be on your toes. Let your guard down even for a bit, you will soon find the Blight's all gathered and ready to end your life. Then on Sunday is when you face the Blight's and they will end your life or you will end theirs. You wield a gun made out of glowstick and each time you see a Blight, you must fire and kill it. Do that to all the Blight's and you are home free.

There are a lot of good things to say about this game. When I first downloaded this game, the rules and mechanics seemed simple enough so I thought this game was a piece of cake. I managed to win the first night. That gave me overconfidence. When you are playing this game, there are very important rules. First, do not be overconfident, and second, DO NOT underestimate the Blight's. You must be on your toes constantly checking for everything. Do not lose sight of what you are trying to check. Doing things in a routine may help in the beginning, but once the game progresses, their sporadic behavior will counter your routine.

This game (as well as many other horror games) are best experienced in complete utter darkness and headphones. The aesthetic's of the game aren't the best, but take it for what is. If you are looking for a short and simple, yet a bit challenging, fun horror game, you might want to think of trying this game out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:05:55 PM by Serah Farron »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Seven Nights at Night Blights

Honestly, something about the limited polygonal models makes these horror games more unsettling than normal for me.

Offline Serah Farron

• WOOF WOOF.
Number 24: Fran Bow

Fran Bow is another indie horror game that is available in Steam and was created by Game Jolt. In this game, you play as the main character Fran Bow. You are a young girl stuck in this crazy asylum. Her parents were killed and she ran away with her cat, Mr. Midnight , fainting in the middle of the woods. Poor girl. :( Two figures approach her as her cat runs away and tells her to find her and you wake up in an asylum. After that, you have through maneuver through the asylum and find your way out of here. The room might seen normal at first, but you can take a pill that "distorts" reality and shows the ugly side of the real world. But to escape, you have to use the combination of pills and no pills to find your way out of this gruesome game.

This game does not have much jumpscares (thankfully), though after taking the pill, you are in for a sight. What used to be an innocent room is filled with corpses and unsettling shadows that will sure haunt you the rest of the night. If you want to avoid taking the pill....well, be prepared to stay in the game forever. You can not progress unless you take the pills. The ratings for this game on Steam is really high and rightfully so.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
That is one disturbing screenshot on the bottom. I'm putting this on my wishlist, it seems like it's right up my ally.