Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 84131 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
This is my post reacting to Blob's reaction to Scar's reaction to reactors.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i am prepared to disappoint, Sacul.

Primordia

Adventure games are generally a genre I wish I could get more behind than I find myself actually enjoying. Dialogue and worldbuilding focused games with puzzles and a generally chill atmosphere? Sounds like my kind of thing. But a lot of adventure games tend to have either pacing problems or puzzle problems (or both).

I won't say Primordia avoids either of these; the first sequence of the game can be a bit slow and there are a few awkward moments of pixel hunting, but in general the game hits the right notes quite a lot. And what really makes this game work is the characters and the world of the game. It's dark, but not bleak; the banter between the two main characters as well as some of the scenarios the game presents are pretty amusing, but at the same time the oppressive and grim atmosphere is always present throughout. And the two main characters, Horatio and Crispin, play off each other really well. The voice actors for the roles really sell them. The overarching story also poses a lot of deeper questions and never really provides definitive answers to them, but does make you think about them. I'll fully admit that it's been long enough since I played this one that the details of the plot are a bit fuzzy but I have very fond memories of this one regardless, probably one I'll need to revisit sometime soon.

The gameplay is also generally above average for an adventure game. Very little "how was I supposed to figure out I needed to use X on Y" types of puzzles, and a number of straight up logic puzzles as well with fairly minimal pixel hunting. The game also doesn't make you arbitrarily write down every last thing in the hopes that it may or may not be needed to solve a puzzle later; any relevant information or passwords get automatically stored in a notebook-like system. And there's fast travel via a map, which is much welcome.

As far as straight up adventure games go I'd say this is about the best I've played and, again, even if the littler details are kind of escaping me at the moment I quite enjoyed this one from beginning to end and it's stuck with me ever since I played it.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

The Layton series of games has always been an interesting one, an adventure game-styled framework where all the puzzles are a variety of brainteasers. It's basically an improvement on an already solid formula, but what really tends to make these games stand out is the story. And Unwound Future is, for all intents and purposes, the best of the bunch.

The basic premise is that Layton and Luke get sent 10 years into the future after receiving a letter from Luke's future self and thrust into a crapsack dystopia version of the London they know and love... controlled by a criminal organization, the leader of which is Layton's future self. Of course, saying much more would be giving away some major plot twists but the story here is just full of tons of great twists and turns and easily more emotional weight than any other game in the series (though some parts of Azran Legacy certainly come close). The game's story is also pretty standalone and there's no need to have played the previous games in the series to be able to follow this one, though I'd definitely recommend playing the first two.

The puzzles in this game actually tend towards the easier side of things; I think this is the only game in the series where I solved every puzzle without having to look up a solution, though that may be due to the lessened number of those damn slider puzzles this time around. A change which I am plenty grateful for, mind you. There's a solid variety in the puzzles, and as ever the foundation of the series' gameplay is basic but strong. There's very little frustration to be had here.

This is definitely a game that's hard to talk about much so I'd just suggest you go and play it yourself, honestly. The entire series is a pretty strong series, just barely missed my main list but I still love this game quite a bit.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Near impossible to find a good screenshot of this game that 1. is big enough and 2. doesn't spoil anything and this isn't a great one but I apologize. Anyways. Rounding out a trio of games driven primarily by great stories is Ghost Trick. The game starts off with Sissel, the main character, being killed. Game over.

Nah, instead of expiring, he becomes a ghost, with no memory of who he was, nothing but a peculiar power. He can travel back to four minutes before a person's death and, through a rube goldberg-esque series of small interactions with the environment find a way to prevent the death from occurring. But this power can only be used on people who were recently killed, and of course he can't use it to save himself. The story primarily involves Sissel trying to figure out who he was and along the way uncovering a conspiracy. And for a game very, very heavily centered around death (basically every major character will die at least once over the course of the game by its nature, but of course you can save them all), it's... quite lighthearted. There's a major macabre running gag and a general sense of humor throughout, even as you watch the grisly deaths of the innocent time and time again. The game's brimming with interesting, likeable characters. And the core gameplay is really fun and clever. You're on a time limit but there's no true game over, you can retry as much as you want, and the game even has checkpoints in some of the puzzles to prevent frustration. And there's a weird twisted logic to every puzzle; some of the solutions themselves create comical or absurd scenarios. It's just a generally great atmosphere based around a great story and great gameplay.

It's a bit on the short side, or at least feels like it, and while the game's overall story is good, it's not fantastic by any means, but definitely satisfying. Really a great game all around and it's a shame I can't just do a proper top 30 or 40 or whatever else. But yeah, definitely check this one out, a real underrated gem if there ever was one.

I'll try to do the rest of the honorable mentions Friday night or something and then finally begin the list proper after that.

Offline Blind Faythe

Great list! I'm glad that you have Professor Layton on your list. I love playing the Ace Attorney series. It's really fun! :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ni e
« Reply #493 on: November 03, 2016, 12:44:15 PM »
These sound pretty neat, will add them to my list.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Great list! I'm glad that you have Professor Layton on your list. I love playing the Ace Attorney series. It's really fun! :tup
Ace attorney made my list somewhere, spoilers :P

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Are those the list or honorable mentions?

Offline Blind Faythe

I'll try to do the rest of the honorable mentions Friday night or something and then finally begin the list proper after that.

Are those the list or honorable mentions?

Honorable mentions. :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Braid

Ahh, this game. One of the most prolific indie titles out there and arguably one of the games that fueled the indie boom. And it's definitely a game worthy of the attention it gets. The game is a puzzle platformer that provides a variety of levels based around time manipulation mechanics. And there's no way to "lose"; you can rewind any mistakes you make and get another chance without having to restart the entire level. It's a great anti-frustration feature that many games (including a game pretty high up on my list have incorporated as well.

What really makes this game work is the sheer variety of the puzzles. You start out in World 2, which is just straightforward platforming to get you used to the game's controls and basic mechanics. Then World 3 throws in rewinding time being a major element of the puzzles. And World 4 has this fantastic gimmick where time moves forwards when you move right and backwards when you move left. Probably my favorite world of the game even if it contains the most infamous level of the game as well. World 5 is focused around time-clones of yourself that repeat actions you perform when you rewind, and World 6 gives you a ring that creates a sphere of time distortion around it when dropped. And World 1, the last world, well, I'm not going to spoil that one. The puzzle design is pretty consistently strong with only one or two minor annoyances. The secret content has a lot more annoyances (including a rather infamous puzzle that literally just requires waiting for two hours) but it's all optional stuff that I'm not really bothered by, if I want to replay the game I can just outright ignore it all. The game is primarily puzzle-focused but there is at least a solid degree of execution involved which is the trait of a well-made puzzle platformer, one that keenly fuses both aspects of the two genres.

The game still looks pretty visually solid over 8 years later and the soundtrack is pretty nice as well. The story is a bit pretentious, there's no real dodging that, but it's so minimal that I can't really be bothered by it. I still haven't gotten around to playing The Witness despite being pretty intrigued by it, and if the puzzles are anywhere close to as strong as this game has I imagine it'll be an enjoyable game, different as it is. But yeah, this game is well-praised for a reason and deserves the attention it's gotten.

The World Ends With You

This game is the kind of game I've kind of moved past in general, but it's also the kind of game that, looking back on it, still feels like a really good game, one that holds up. Granted I haven't played it in years but I'd imagine if I did I'd still get plenty of enjoyment out of it. The game is an RPG with an interesting dual-screen combat system that... kind of sort of works, but usually ends up just being a lot of button mashing in practice. But it hardly matters as it's still pretty fun, and the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

The main appeal of this game is really its sense of style. The game does its best to emulate the culture and atmosphere of modern Shibuya in its game world and, while I don't have any real world experience to compare it to, I'd say they did a pretty great job at capturing that atmosphere. There's a lot of in-game landmarks and the game just looks great, the overworld, the character designs, the monster designs, everything. The soundtrack also attempts to emulate the kind of music you'd expect to hear in the city (well, at least in 2008) instead of going the usual "epic and orchestral" route of a lot of Square Enix games, and the tracks in the game are all the more memorable for it. I wouldn't say I necessarily love the soundtrack, but I definitely respect it, and there's still a number of earworms that pop up in my head from time to time. The game's story, as well, it was the kind of thing that was riveting to 14-year old me but looking back on it now, it's still a pretty solid story. The characters all have lots of personality, there's enough interesting twists and turns, and it's a game focused around teenagers that avoids most of the cliches (though there is a decent share of angst, but given the context I'd consider it excusable). The basic premise is that, when you die, you're drawn into a game where losing means you are outright erased from existence and winning means you can be brought back to life. Oh, and whatever you value most is taken away from you. That's the gist of it anyways, and with a heavily story-based game I'd rather not say more.

The game plays out as a series of missions with combat interspersed between, and generally no random encounters. The lower-screen combat involves a variety of touch commands, and the button screen in theory involves pressing buttons in a specific order, but in practice usually just devolves to button mashing while you pay attention to the bottom screen more. And the game has a decent amount of playtime to it, with all the main story points being quite neatly wrapped up at the end of the final day.

Without saying much more I'll just say that this is easily one of my favorite RPGs and one of the few I can still keep coming back to and enjoying. Maybe because it's not very grindy in nature, maybe it's because it's super easy to replay since you can play through the story as many times as you want on one save file and keep all your overpowered endgame equipment, maybe because the story is pretty solidly compelling, maybe it's because the atmosphere is great. Whatever it is I'd personally call this Square Enix's crowning achievement, though I doubt many would agree.

Fly'n

This was actually the game on the list whose placement I had the most trouble with. At first it was off the list entirely, then I put it somewhere near the bottom of the list, and ended up actually going back and revisiting it to determine where it should end up, and my judgment lead me to believe that, yes, it does belong just baaaaarely off the main list. Which is a shame, since I do enjoy this game quite a lot.

The first thing that will strike you about this game, if the above screenshot doesn't make it clear, is that this game is absolutely gorgeous. One of the best looking games I've ever played, bar none. The worlds are all vibrant and colorful and diverse enough to stay interesting to look at as you progress through the game, all while keeping the main elements of the level plainly visible. And the gorgeous aesthetic doesn't end at the visuals; the soundtrack is also fantastic, one of the few game soundtracks I've gone back to revisit by itself in recent years. It's just a gorgeous game on a purely spectacle front.

And gameplay-wise it is generally pretty solid too. It's a platformer with light puzzle elements and some exploration elements, and the levels generally stick to three major styles. First, the chill exploration-focused levels that are probably my favorite levels in the game, you best get the chance to stop and appreciate the scenery in these levels and there's a bit more variety to them than the other levels. Second, the chase levels where you have to outrun a rising wall of death while overcoming a series of platforming challenges. These levels tend to focus around each particular world's main power, barring the last world where all powers come into play equally. Third, the bonus levels you unlock by clearing the chase levels without dying, which tend to be more experimental and centered around one gameplay mechanic. I generally find that these levels are a bit clunky but well-intentioned and generally pretty interesting. There's also boss levels at the end of each world which are... okay. The bosses themselves vary, I don't particularly like the first two bosses but the last three are cool, and each boss also features a platforming segment where you go inside the boss machine and destroy it from the inside, which tends to be pretty cool as well.

The major flaw the gameplay has, at least for me, is that the game is a bit mean to completionists. There are a lot of levels with spots where you can end up missing collectibles either through a "gotcha" moment where you have no point of return or a one-shot piece of level that you can't complete if you fail it the first time. As well, some of the collectibles often end up hidden too well; the only indication of fake walls is this faint orange sparkle which can be hard to see sometimes, especially in the chase levels. As well, the controls aren't perfect; the characters all tend to be a bit touchy to control, and the physics of the bounce power are a bit weird. But in the grand scheme of things the game is still pretty fun to play and has kept me coming back to it many times to replay through.

It's a game that definitely won me over with its aesthetic more than its actual gameplay but I still do enjoy playing it a decent bit and most of the mean tricks aren't really too punishing in the long run, just a bit annoying at worst. I'd definitely recommend this one to fans of 2D platformers and I imagine you'd have a pretty good time with it regardless of how much you want to clear in the game.

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Oh man, here's a cool idea. Combine rhythm games with an action-puzzle style of roguelike and what you get is an intense and addictive game that's just, plain fun to play. As someone who generally isn't a fan of roguelikes (and sticks to rogue-lites whenever I do play them) I can say that this is easily my favorite in the genre. Just the way the game plays, and the various ways the difficult escalates. It's really cool.

The game is controlled entirely by the four directional arrows on your keyboard, controller, or heck, dancepad if you're a DDR fan and want to use that here; yes, the game was entirely designed with that in mind. You have to defeat the miniboss monster of a floor and find the exit to reach the floor below, and every world is capped off with a boss fight. Sounds simple, but the game ups the complexity in quite a variety of ways. The enemies in the first world are all pretty basic and easy to deal with, but they get more and more complex as you descend the crypt, to the point where most of the enemies in the last world are quite weird, and the boss that caps off the last world is a fair bit more difficult to deal with than the standard bosses as well. The game plays out at the pace of the song being played, which tends to escalate the further you get into each world, and the further you get into the game in general. And they have a lot of fun with the rhythm as well; there's a boss with a really fast pace to it, and another with a missing beat, and as well a few of the many alternate characters change the rhythm of the game as well.

And of course the soundtrack is fantastic. At least, two of the three versions; I'm not a fan of the dubstep soundtrack but the standard soundtrack and the metal soundtrack are both just, great and intense, really good at getting you pumped while being damn fine songs on their own merits. There's also a lot of variety; every floor is procedurally generated, there are quite a lot of different weapons and accessories, and a fair number of different characters to play as, each with their own unique playstyle. And there's a true roguelike mode where you start from the first floor and have to make it all the way to the bottom on a single life with no starting bonuses like you get in the standard gameplay.

So the game on the whole is great and the kind of game that kept me hooked for a long time. Why did it just miss the list? Well, aside from that fact that I probably would consider all the games above it better in general... I have not beaten this game. I never cleared Aria's story mode, which is definitely part of the main game. Because Aria is absolutely insane. Brutally unforgiving and incredibly stressful to the point where it stopped being fun after a while and I have barely played the game since I gave up on beating Aria. It's honestly completely uncalled for to have one of the hardest to play characters be part of the main story and just incredibly disheartening to fail over and over due to even the tiniest mistake. So I do have that one major gripe with it, but on the whole this game is still tons of fun and definitely worth checking out.

And that is... finally... the last of the honorable mentions.
I intend to have even longer write ups for the main games on the list which will mean posting less at a time but I'll try to keep the pace at least fairly reasonable.

Offline Blind Faythe

What a nice list!

I love the amount and time you put into describing a game. All the games I've never heard of before, but they all look mighty interesting to play, especially The World Ends With You and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Really nice. Keep it coming! :tup

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I really need to get Braid. That whole rewind element really intrigues me and the music was very nice too.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Braid is the only game I recognized on that list (it was on my list as well) but I really enjoyed the write ups. Can't wait to read more

Floyd, you definitely need to give the game a try, it's amazing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Don't get too excited, I feel like I'm gonna have even less games being recognized in my proper list  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't mind, I enjoy reading about games I've never heard before.

Offline Blind Faythe

Is Braid like Donkey Kong?
Looks purty similar.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
that level is specifically a reference to donkey kong, yes, but the game as a whole is noooot similar in the slightest

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
that level is specifically a reference to donkey kong, yes, but the game as a whole is noooot similar in the slightest
Yeah, it's true they're both platformers but Braid has some unique mechanics that makes it very different. Amazing game, I need to go back and finish it.  :tup I would love to get a hold of a physical copy but I'm not sure if it's possible?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not sure that they ever made a physical copy. . .

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
maybe i'll do this tomorrow night, obviously it wasn't happening tonight though

it's hard to care atm

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

25. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando

The first game to just barely make the list, and one of my favorites from the PS2 era. Honestly I just as easily could've put the third game in the series on this list as well, since it's also quite good, but I've always favored this one by a smidgen. The series as a whole sticks to a pretty strong formula; it's halfway between a 3D platformer and third-person shooter with some light exploration elements as well, and generally a decent helping of spaceship combat thrown in for good measure. What this sums up to in practice are games with a lot of variety that still keep a strong core gameplay style to them.

Starting with the story, it's probably my favorite of the original trilogy. There's no obvious villain in the whole ordeal, at least not right away. The first half of the game is spent tracking down the thief to retrieve the parapet... and then the second half is spent undoing the big mistake of the first half and stopping the parapet menace from overrunning the galaxy. And while, yes, there is ultimately a "true" villain it's less direct than the other games; you have Drek in R&C 1 and Nafaryus Nefarious in R&C 3. The goal of stopping them never changes, and they're both a bit too straightforward as villains (though the latter is pretty hilarious, admittedly). There's a lot of twists and turns in the story and a lot of small hurdles you overcome to reach the ultimate goal at the end.

The game's variety of weapons and gadgets also feels stronger here than in the other two games. For one, you have the bouncer, which is not only the strongest weapon in this game but the strongest weapon in the next to boot. The core weapon selection is also pretty solid, and the RYNO II is a lot more satisfying to use than the RYNO weapons in the previous and subsequent games as well. Also, the sheepinator. 'Nuff said. That's just great. A lot of the weapons from the first game make a return too, most of the better ones in fact. And the weapon leveling system is a great way to both power up your favorite weapons as well as provide an incentive to use every weapon. The gadgets in this game also provide a lot of incremental updates on the first game; the gravity boots are just, infinitely better than the slow magnet boots of the first game, and the two lock-puzzle tools are both a good mix of action and puzzle. Plus I'm just always thrilled there's two, double the fun. There's a good variety of gadgets to create a lot of different puzzle and platforming scenarios.

The game's aesthetic is pretty good too. Sci-fi alien landscapes mixed in with some modern or semi-futuristic city environments is the general theme but each world comes off pretty unique, and the music is generally pretty solid though not always too memorable. And maybe I'm the only one but I like how much of a collection aspect there is to this game. I really enjoy the two big treasure hunt areas, scouring this giant wasteland for those last crystals and fighting titanic behemoths of monsters along the way... it's just really enjoyable. The third game's take on this same concept was a much more restrictive and annoying-to-navigate area and I definitely prefer the take here. And between those, all the platinum bolts, and all the skill points, there's a heck of a lot to do in the game besides the main plot which creates a lot of replay value, at least for me.

It's just a game that's well-rounded on every front, and it's hard to muster up any complaints with it. It's not too hard, but not too easy. It's got a lot of charm and humor to it but doesn't just rely on that, delivering a lot of solid and diverse gameplay. And it's just a damn great series as a whole, it's a real shame this kind of game has faded in comparison to the bland, military shooter dreck that controls the triple-A game industry these days.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

24. The Swapper

The first thing that should strike you about this game is how gorgeous it looks. Because this is a damn beautiful game. Made 100% with claymation. Yeah. It's really quite impressive on just that front alone. But a game looking great isn't enough for it to make my list on its own. Fortunately, The Swapper backs up its aesthetic with a unique and really clever style of puzzle.

The basic mechanics are - you have the ability to create up to 4 clones of yourself, who will mimic your movement, and that you can switch control to, but you can only directly control one at a time. There is also light shining in a lot of places - blue light prevents you from creating a clone, red light prevents you from swapping with a clone, and purple light, purple light is just a bastard that doesn't like you and won't let you do anything. A fall from pretty much any non-trivial height will kill you, but you can create a clone right above the ground and swap to it to avoid this fall damage. That's the gist of it, and boy, do they create a lot of cool and unique puzzle designs based on these mechanics and a few other minor mechanics that get introduced along the way.

The game is set up kind of like a metroidvania, where you have a big overworld map and small puzzle rooms scattered throughout, each with an orb at the end. And to progress, you must collect enough orbs to open each door you come across - and inevitably, you need every last orb to clear the game. The only points of interest outside of this are the secret messages hidden throughout the game in general pretty devious and hard-to-find spots that just expand on the story a little bit. The game isn't particularly long - 4 or 5 hours to play through the entire thing, I'd expect - but it doesn't waste its time and the puzzle design is clever enough and does about as much with the mechanics as it could without getting boring or repetitive.

The story of the game is decently interesting - you are stranded alone on this spaceship with only one other person, and you have to find a way to return home while also discovering what happened to the abandoned spaceship. The atmosphere is very, very dense and dark, a haunting loneliness that feels pretty oppressive. Aside from, of course, being absolutely gorgeous. The ruin of the spaceship and the vastness of space surrounding you, the dark environment and the variety of lighting styles keep things consistent but still fairly diverse.

But in the end it really comes down to those puzzles, which go from pretty tame near the start to pretty complex and involved by the end, ramping up at such a smooth curve that you barely notice it happening. There is, of course, one or two "that one puzzle" moments in the game but the puzzles and their mechanics are constantly evolving; there's no "do the same thing you just did but in a slightly different way", mostly "apply what you've learned to this new scenario and maybe discover something new in the process". There is a small execution factor here as it is technically a puzzle platformer, but the largest aspect of these puzzles is figuring out what to do more than actually doing it. And the game just excels in that category. I go back and replay this game every once in a while once the puzzle solutions have faded from my memory and it still feels fresh and interesting the whole way through each time because of how concise the game keeps itself.

It's at its core a bit simple and a bit straightforward, but if a game can do two things, puzzle design and atmosphere, consistently well across its entire runtime and do them well enough to be plenty replayable, then I think that's definitely deserving of a nice heaping of praise.

Offline Blind Faythe

Ratchet and Clank! That is a very good game indeed. I remember playing that once on my brother's PS2. Really nice choice.

I've never heard of The Swapper, but yes, the graphics indeed look gorgeous and looks fun to play.

One thing I look for in a game is length. Is the game finished too early? Does it drag on? What is the length for The Swapper? (for you?)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Described that in my writeup so  :P

Offline Blind Faythe

Lol, how'd I miss that? XD
My bad and thanks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
The R&C game is the only one I've heard of before but never played.

The Swapper looks super interesting, love the write-up. I'll have to check some videos of the game out .

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

23. Dust: An Elysian Tail

This game always sticks in my memory as "the game that brought me to steam". It was not the first game I played on steam (amusingly, the first game I played on steam will be showing up in a few days when I post the next two games) but it was the one where I got on the platform and stayed on the platform with. Like, the first game to really give me an appreciation for indie games. I could put it on this list for that fact alone, but even aside from that the game is quite a great game in its own right.

So first off, the visual style. This game is just, really beautiful to look at. Gorgeous scenery designs, fluid character animations, what more could you ask for? If I did a list of the best-looking games I've ever played this would easily rank pretty high on that list. And the music is pretty great too, not especially memorable but nice and cinematic and good at setting the tone. The one thing about this game's aesthetic that does detract a little is the voice acting; some of it's alright but a lot of it... could use some work, a lot of the voice actors sound pretty amateur and a few of the voices are pretty grating as well. But it's a minor complaint really.

The gameplay itself is a variety of metroidvania, though one where the game is broken off into self-contained sublevels; but all the other major staples of the genre are present. Hack-and-slash sword-based combat, a healthy dose of platforming, new skills acquired as the game goes on and lots of secrets to explore for, some requiring backtracking after gaining new skills, an RPG-style levelling system and a fair number of optional quests, even a basic crafting system is in play. The backtracking in this game is for the most part not mandatory either, and all the levels are small enough and with enough convenient entry/exit points that even the optional backtracking is never very annoying.

It's a very solid game on the whole but it does have some minor faults; the game's a bit easy because on most difficulties you can end up pretty overpowered by the later levels if you do enough exploring; though of course this problem is mitigated by the higher difficulty settings that I don't even dare to touch. And the story is a bit... ehhh. Nothing special, a bit childish and cheesy, but it's serviceable, it gives the journey of the game a point. And the platforming can be a liiiittle bit stiff in a few places, but for the most part it's pretty great. These are really all minor nitpicks and the game as a whole is quite fun the whole way through so there really isn't a lot worth complaining about.

The most impressive part about this game, to me at least, is that the vast majority of it was made by just one guy. The only things that aren't are the character voices and the soundtrack. It's a labor of love and it definitely shows, it's just a generally pleasant and remarkably beautiful game to look at and play and one I've gone back to revisit quite a few times.

Offline Blind Faythe

I just recently watched an IGN review of the game and it indeed looks gorgeous.
Nice entry. I wonder how many games you'll lure me too. :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

22. Guacamelee!

And following a metroidvania is... another metroidvania! Though this one definitely trends in a bit of a different direction. This game also has a very strong sense of aesthetic - specifically, a Mexican aesthetic. As someone who is not cultured or familiar with Mexican culture in general, I can't personally say how good of a job with that aesthetic they did, but I can say that I quite like it. The game is very colorful and visually distinct from, well, any other game I've ever played, and the music backs up that aesthetic well while also giving the game a bit of a modern feel to it. Oh, and there are memes because that's everyone's favorite. The game is from like 2013 too so they're all dank memes now, too. Okay yeah the writing in this game can be pretty funny at times but it could definitely use some work in other places.

But as ever will be the case, the aesthetic is only one of the reasons why this game is on my list. This game plays absolutely wonderfully. That's basically the gist of it. By the end of the game you've got a large number of attack options and every last one of them is viable and usable in most every situation - the combat feels fluid and fast and just balanced enough to still be a challenge while making you feel like a pro at the same time. Between the normal punching and kicking, dodge rolling, throwing, special moves, and general emphasis on chaining, it's got a fighting game sense to it quite aided by the luchador inspiration of the moves. Sure there are a few combat scenarios that can feel a bit spammy or awkward but that doesn't really detract from how good the game plays in most normal scenarios.

The combat and the platforming in the game are also very, very finely interwoven - nearly all of the combat upgrades in the game will be used during platforming sections, and vice-versa, nothing is useless either way. And, again, this is a metroidvania, so there's going to be some backtracking involved and some clever combinations of the various skills in order to complete everything the game has to offer. And the game can get pretty tough with its platforming sections, especially in a lot of the optional secret areas - some real legitimate challenges in there that mostly manage to stay enjoyable even when you fail for the tenth or twentieth time. And the map is kind enough to show you juuust enough so that you can find where you're missing secrets but never too much so as to give away its location blatantly and obviously.

The story of the game is a pretty simple "hero must rescue princess and save the world" scenario, with a number of minions of the main baddie thrown in for good measure; and they're all given a fair bit of screentime and pose a solid threat, too. they're fun villains with pretty basic motivations. Won't win any awards for writing or anything, especially with the memes, but it's a serviceable and simple story that never really intrudes on the plot too much.

There's really not a lot to say negatively about this game - it's got a fair bit of content just in the main game alone and all the secrets to be found give it even more replayability and challenge, and it's a fun game to go back to; especially since they've rereleased expanded versions of the game twice now, haha. For the record, make sure you pick up the Super Turbo Championship Edition if you want to check this one out as that's the most complete version of the game and by default the best as a result. Definitely another shining example of the metroidvania genre, which you'll definitely be seeing more of in this list's future, hint hint.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Mm dat some good taste there BOI

Ghost Trick, TWEWY, Guacamelee, excellent.

To add my two cents to the earlier Let's Play discussion... I think Pewdiepie sucks, Markiplier is occasionally funny, and jacksepticeye is usually funny.

Those solo with a facecam type LPs aren't really my cup of tea, though. You need someone like Game Grumps, Best Friends Play, or Super Beard Bros for dat quality.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
honestly the only lper i watch consistently is raocow because he's just genuinely funny in the weird way that ticks my sense of humor but also tends to play interesting stuff when he's not just playing smw romhacks

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Great write-ups! :tup

I've never heard of Dust but I just watched some youtube videos and it is indeed gorgeous. I have guacamelee! but I've never played it.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Metroidvania is my favorite genre of game, so I'm loving the list so far. Guacamelee and Dust are fantastic games, although I found Guac a bit tough and Dust a bit easy... it's hard for a game to be in that "just right" sort of area for difficulty for my tastes, but both are worthy games of the MV genre.

In case it doesn't make the list, I'm playing through another MV right now called Song of the Deep for PS4. Not too difficult so far, but LOTS of areas to explore multiple times, and treasures to find. Also, like Dust, it's absolutely gorgeous.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Blind Faythe

Mm dat some good taste there BOI

Ghost Trick, TWEWY, Guacamelee, excellent.

To add my two cents to the earlier Let's Play discussion... I think Pewdiepie sucks, Markiplier is occasionally funny, and jacksepticeye is usually funny.

Indeed. This thread is even more interesting than I have ever imagined. Ashamed or proud to say, I'm one of their fans and I follow them. But I can tell you that some subscribers of Pewdiepie and Markiplier can be...what's the word, kind of mean. But they are funny LP'ers and they help a lot of charities.

honestly the only lper i watch consistently is raocow because he's just genuinely funny in the weird way that ticks my sense of humor but also tends to play interesting stuff when he's not just playing smw romhacks

Thanks Parama for these lists. I can imagine how much time and dedication it takes to write these lists. Kudos to you and keep them coming!

Great write-ups! :tup

I've never heard of Dust but I just watched some youtube videos and it is indeed gorgeous. I have guacamelee! but I've never played it.

Just curious, what is your background on video games? What kind of video games do you enjoy playing?

In case it doesn't make the list, I'm playing through another MV right now called Song of the Deep for PS4. Not too difficult so far, but LOTS of areas to explore multiple times, and treasures to find. Also, like Dust, it's absolutely gorgeous.

YES! I love that game! I just recently got all the upgrades avaliable in the Hermit's Crab store. This really helps a lot.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I need to get song of the deep yeah it looks pretty solid/beautiful

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I once got stuck at Braid and ragequited it  :lol Will eventually try to finish it.

A friend of mine heavily recommended that Dust game, so I guess I should check it out, love Metroidvanias.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

21. The Walking Dead (Season One)

A story-based game is all fine and well on its own, sure, but to get me really invested what you have to do is make the player a part of the story. Not simply an observer but a vital driving force of the plot. And I definitely think this game accomplishes that to a pretty strong degree. The Walking Dead is a style of adventure game primarily driven by its narrative and plot decisions, with most of the rest of the gameplay being reaction-based quicktime events and simple puzzles. It's not a difficult game; I'd be surprised if someone was unable to beat the game due to "challenge", since the game really never feels that out to get you. Of course, you probably will die; failure just doesn't carry much weight, beyond a quick death scene and then being kicked back to the start of whatever sequence you failed.

But damned if the game doesn't make its gameplay feel meaningful. As with the comic and show (neither of which I am particularly familiar with) the game world is a post-apocalyptic scenario where zombies "the walkers" are lurking around every corner, prepared to violently and gorily kill any living person they come across. The player controls Lee, a convicted murderer (who may or may not have actually killed anyone, the game never outright says it as far as I remember). And the walkers want to kill Lee, judging by how frequently your life is in danger. There is a 50 minute compilation of various death scenes from the game on youtube, just for context. Don't watch it, obviously, it's filled with spoilers, but. I think what that also shows off pretty well is that the game puts you in a lot of different scenarios where your life is threatened - whether it be by the walkers or by fellow humans.

Lee is not the only character whose life is in danger, though; along the way Lee gets a pretty solid number of companions - and you get to start worrying who will live and who will die. What this game definitely does better than Season 2 is make the deaths all have a bit more weight to them - there are some really tense, emotional scenes here, especially in chapters 3 and 5. Some characters that you get really attached to only for them to unceremoniously bite the bullet out of nowhere. And that's what really does it - one or two of the deaths is built up a little, but most of the rest just come out of nowhere; a surprise attack by walkers, one person just up and shooting another, an offscreen but plainly heard suicide. Death is cheap. It will just happen and there's not a lot you can do about it. I do like that aspect of this game. Season 2 got a bit carried away with that and the end result is way too many characters you don't have time to get attached to die in unceremonious ways, even if you previously saved them like two scenes ago, like christ what was even the point of that one at that point, sheesh.

The driving plot point of this game is Lee's quest to save Clementine, the first person he ran across after the whole zombie apocalypse started, and the most defenseless of all the characters (well, again, in this game, though not in the sequel  ::)) due to being a young girl. If you take the word of the law that Lee is in fact a murderer, then it's a great redemption story, with Lee often putting his own life below Clementine's in a rather selfless display of character. You can sort of choose what kind of attitude Lee is going to have through dialogue options and the like, but regardless, Clementine will remain his key motivator, even if he hates everyone else he travels with.

The sense of player choice is admittedly not as strong as it could be, given the overall linear nature of the story and how a good number of your choices end up being pretty meaningless by the end; save someone only to have them die later, spend a lot of time building a positive relationship with someone only for them to be axed unceremoniously, etc. But there's enough interactivity to put you in the role of Lee and make his motivation your motivation, and the overarching story is strong enough with enough twists and turns to keep me interested the whole way through and keep me in suspense of what's going to happen next. It can be hard to put down the game after each chapter since they tend to end on cliffhangers like the massive teases they are, and I think that's just a sign of really good storytelling. The second game in the series is... not awful, but definitely pales in comparison to the original. I'd definitely recommend you check this one out, though.