Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 83924 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Man they have Mario Party 10 now? The last one I played was Mario Party 3.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
Number 7: Super Mario 3D World

What Is Super Mario 3D World?
Super Mario 3D World, another Mario game for the Wii U and rivals Galaxy for its exploration.
Super Mario 3D World is a 3D platformer action game for the Wii U. It is a direct follow-up to Nintendo 3DS installment Super Mario 3D Land, the fifteenth title in the Super Mario series, the sixth original 3D Mario title, the seventh 3D Mario title overall, and the fifth 3D Mario title on a home console after Super Mario Galaxy 2. The game also received a prequel/spin off based on The Adventures of Captain Toad levels in this game titled Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which was first released on November 13, 2014 in Japan almost a year later.

Story
On an evening in the Mushroom Kingdom, Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad come to view and enjoy the fireworks outside of Princess Peach's Castle, when they discover a slanted Clear Pipe along the path. Mario and Luigi fix the Clear Pipe with hammers and wrenches, causing the pipe to eject a large number of items as well as a Sprixie Princess[6], a fairy-like creature of the Sprixie species. The Green Sprixie Princess begins to explain that Bowser has kidnapped six of her fellow Sprixie Princesses and that she needs their help; thereafter, however, Bowser emerges from the pipe and traps the princess inside a bottle before disappearing back down the pipe with her. Peach, in trying to stop Bowser, falls down the pipe herself, and the others soon follow in order to assist her. The heroes soon end up in the Sprixie Kingdom, where the journey mainly takes place.

After going through six worlds, the group encounter Bowser in World Castle, where he is keeping the Red Sprixie Princess; the only Sprixie Princess whom has not been saved yet. After the group successfully defeat Bowser, the Sprixie Princess is saved. However, the celebration is cut short by Bowser surprisingly returning, capturing all seven Sprixie Princesses in a large bottle, and escaping to World Bowser: a theme park modeled after the Koopa King.

The heroes make their way through this world, and encounter Bowser again in The Great Tower of Bowser Land. Here, Bowser makes use of a Super Bell, turning into Meowser, and initiating the final battle. The group manage to defeat Meowser after climbing the tower, and rescue all of the Sprixie Princesses. Now safe from Bowser, they thank the heroes as they go through a Clear Pipe back to the Mushroom Kingdom.

(Bowser captures the Green Sprixie Princess during the game's intro. Finally this one time, Bowser doesn't kidnap Peach!)

Gameplay
Super Mario 3D World is a platform game which plays very similarly to Super Mario 3D Land, being a 3D platformer though with gameplay similar to the 2D games. This game retains its predecessor's similarity to Super Mario Bros. 3 (with colorful blocks, the Super Leaf, Spikes and the Lose a Life theme returning from that game); many elements from Super Mario World are returning as well, such as Chargin' Chucks and Kuribons, now with an official English name, Galoombas. Stages are once again open yet linear, have a time limit, and end by grabbing the classic Goal Pole at the end. Green Stars return from the Super Mario Galaxy games, taking the role of the Star Medals from Super Mario 3D Land. There are also various stamps that the player can find. There is one in each level and they can be used in Miiverse posts. The game also seems to be slightly more puzzle-focused than its predecessors. The path from the start of the level to the goal is no longer a straight shot, and the players would often have to use certain power-ups and items in order to find the way ahead. Additionally, the game also features a score system, the first time one has appeared in a 3D Mario game.

Power-ups, like the Fire Flower and Super Leaf, make a return, along with almost every item from Super Mario 3D Land (excluding the Statue Leaf and P-Wing). The Mega Mushroom from New Super Mario Bros. also make an appearance. There are also several new power-ups and suits; The most prominent of the new power-ups is the Super Bell, a power-up that grants the player a Cat Suit, allowing them to lunge at and claw enemies and climb up walls.

For the first time in a 3D Super Mario title the game supports up to four player simultaneous multiplayer, allowing players to control Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Toad and Rosalina.

(Mario, Luigi, Toad and Princess Peach all running in Really Rolling Hills.)

(Mario and co., in their Cat suits, confronting Spikes.)

Main Worlds

World 1: A simple grassland world, where the Green Sprixie Princess is captured. The boss is the first encounter with Bowser.

World 2: A desert-themed world, where the Yellow Sprixie Princess is captured. The boss is Boom Boom.

World 3: An ice-themed world, where the Blue Sprixie Princess is captured. The first boss is Pom Pom, and the second boss is Hisstocrat.

World 4: A canyon and mountain themed world, where the Orange Sprixie Princess is captured. The boss is Boss Brolder.

World 5: A beach and ocean world, where the Purple Sprixie Princess is captured. The boss is King Ka-Thunk.

World 6: A cloud-themed world, where the Cyan Sprixie Princess is captured. The first boss is a second encounter with Boom Boom, and the second boss is Motley Bossblob.

World Castle: A large castle submerged in lava, where the Red Sprixie Princess is captured. The boss is a second encounter with Bowser.

World Bowser: The eighth and final world, which is a large amusement park modeled after Bowser. Prior to the player arriving at this point in the game, they encounter news that Bowser makes a surprise return at the end of World Castle, and captures all seven Sprixie Princesses again; they are now being held hostage in this world. The first three bosses are Pom Pom, Queen Hisstocrat, and Motley Bossblob, and the final boss is a final encounter with Bowser.

World Star: The first bonus world with Lumas and Star Bits. Rosalina is found in the second level in this world.

World Mushroom: The second bonus world. (This world contain levels from previous worlds, with a twist, such as making it a night level or a speed run. For this reason, there are no stamps in these worlds.)

World Flower: The third bonus world. (This world contain levels from previous worlds, with a twist, such as making it a night level or a speed run. For this reason, there are no stamps in these worlds.)

World Crown: The final bonus world. This is the shortest world in the game, containing one main level (Champion's Road), a Captain Toad level (Captain Toad's Fiery Finale), and a Mystery House containing 30 Green Stars (Mystery House Marathon). This world also contains the last Sprixie House, where the player can obtain a stamp of a pixelated Luigi.

Why I Love This Game
1. Exploration- This game reminds me a lot of Super Mario Galaxy. Every level is unique, and provides unlimited exploration. My dream is that I could visit one of these fantasy worlds because it would be awesome. Every time I played Galaxy and Super Mario 3d World, I wished I could just be there, peacefully. Too bad that can't happen.

2. Music- The music is really lively! Music will be on Why I Love This Game section for all of the games now, because as I've said before, music is a really big factor! Video game music is one of my favorites and some VG music also can be used as a lullaby. I've tried it before and it works, though I've been criticized for it, but meh, for each their own.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 6: Super Smash Bros U

One of my favorite games, I fell in love when Melee first came out. I was excited and awe'd that we could use characters from multiple universes to fight. When Brawl came out and the Smash Ball was introduced, I grew more and more excited. Finally this game came out and man, must anything more be said?

What Is This Game?
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is the fifth installment of the Super Smash Bros. series, and was developed by Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco Games. While this game and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS were developed simultaneously, the Nintendo 3DS version launched earlier due to its earlier completion of development.

Like with most other Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software titles, this title can be purchased at retail stores or from the Nintendo eShop, with the digital version requiring 15700 MB (approx. 15.3 GB) of memory to be installed. Due to the amount of space that it requires, standard set Wii U consoles are not able to download this title without an external storage device, but deluxe set Wii U consoles can.

Gameplay:
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U have some similarities and differences from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as well as differences between the two versions. Final Smashes and Footstool Jumping make a return, while the "tripping" mechanic has been removed. The pace of battles has also been stated to be in between Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Both games have the same roster of playable characters in order to keep them consistent. The movesets and animations of some returning characters were changed more significantly than during the transition from Super Smash Bros. Melee to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, with many returning characters having completely new moves, and major alterations (such as Pit). Aesthetically, the games are much more stylized and visually intense than previous entries, with the overall colors being bolder and brighter and many elements having been redone to stand out more.

The Wii U version does not make much use of the GamePad's touch screen during gameplay. However, in addition to Off-TV Play, the Wii U GamePad can display in-battle stats, such as damage percentages. Like in all games, Smash has its traditional fighting game mode with its customized rules where four chosen fighters play on chosen stages. This includes the Stamina mode (where players get HP that decreases), Time (time limit), Stock (lives) and Coin Battle (winner is the one that collects the most coins). Special Smash also returns in this version, allowing players to battle under certain conditions.

I love this game very much. The only person I'd play this game would be with my girlfriend. I simply don't go out of my way to find friends so she would be the only one to comfort me. Now, with her gone, I just play this alone, kinda making it boring, but it is still bearable and still makes me smile about the memory we used to have. RIP.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I haven't played either of these games, although I did watch a full 100% playthrough of Super Mario 3D World on Youtube. :lol Looked really fun and creative, and the Bowser world music is super catchy. I like the way it dealt with the 3D aspect of it and solved many of those issues too. Definitely one I'd like to play.
I haven't played Super Smash Bros U, but I've played others (64, Melee, 3DS), and have always enjoyed them. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
There is a whole world of Mario games I am not at all familiar with.  If I had endless time, I'd pick up a Wii or Wii U and play these as I bet they are fun.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Super Mario 3D World is the one 3D Mario game I couldn't bring myself to finish. I was bored out of my mind by the end of world 4.

I love Smash, though, especially the Wii U installment.  :tup
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
3D land was the Mario games where I realized they were out of ideas for 3D Mario games. Never ended up playing 3D world as a result.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 5: Super Mario Sunshine

What is Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Sunshine is a Mario action-adventure 3D platformer first released on July 19, 2002 for the Nintendo GameCube. It follows Super Mario 64, and is the second 3D Mario platformer. The 120 total Shine Sprites in this game is the same number of total Power Stars in Super Mario 64. This game also introduced many recurring characters and bosses in the Mario series, including Toadsworth, Bowser Jr., Petey Piranha, Gooper Blooper, Piantas, Nokis, Shadow Mario, and F.L.U.D.D.. Super Mario Sunshine is the second game in the Mario series to feature extensive voice acting, the first being Hotel Mario, making it the first, and thus far, the only 3D Mario game with said voice acting.

Story
The game starts off in the Toad Express, where Mario, Princess Peach, a few Toads, and Toadsworth are flying out to Isle Delfino for a vacation. While watching a video advertisement showing its numerous attractions, Peach notices a Mario-shaped shadow figure jumping around in the background. Mario and Toadsworth don't notice this, as they dream about the food and having a good time.

They make a rough landing on Delfino Airstrip, as a large amount of strange, moving goop in the shape of Mario's head is blocking the runway and has formed a pit. Mario goes on a brief search for something to assist him and soon finds a unique water pump invented by Professor E. Gadd named F.L.U.D.D., the Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device. The machine scans Mario and identifies him as its customer. After user instruction, Mario uses F.L.U.D.D. to clean the goop and defeat a Polluted Piranha after which the runway returns to its normal condition, and a Shine Sprite appears, which Mario collects.

After collecting the Shine Sprite, however, a pair of Pianta Police officers arrest Mario. In court, the prosecution reveals that the island is covered with similar goop, and the graffiti has forced all the Shine Sprites to flee. Eyewitness accounts indicate that Mario is the guilty party, and despite Princess Peach's attempted objection, Mario is found guilty and is ordered to clean up the entire island.

After defeating another Polluted Piranha, the Grand Pianta Statue comes out of the ground with the mysterious character resembling Mario on top. This Shadow Mario attempts to kidnap Peach, but Mario foils his plan and he escapes into the Rainbow M he paints on the base of the statue. This allows Mario to access Bianco Hills and recover more Shine Sprites. Later, similar incidents of various landmarks disappearing in goop happen around Delfino Plaza, and cleaning the goop reveals that these places also have portals to different areas of Isle Delfino.

Once Mario recovers ten Shine Sprites, Shadow Mario kidnaps Peach again and flees to Pinna Park. Mario chases Shadow Mario there and takes down his weapon, Mecha-Bowser. Shadow Mario comes out of Mecha-Bowser's head and reveals himself to be Bowser Jr., Bowser's son. He says that Bowser told him Peach is his mother who got kidnapped by a bad guy named Mario. He also reveals the graffiti to be the work of his magic brush, which he claims was given to him by "a strange old man in a white coat". Bowser Jr. then takes Peach to Corona Mountain by flying in Mecha-Bowser's head. Unable to rescue Peach, Mario returns to cleaning up and recovering Shine Sprites. He also finds Yoshi and new Nozzles for F.L.U.D.D. to use, and unlocks more areas of Isle Delfino to explore. In Episode 7 of these areas, Mario must chase down Shadow Mario to a Shine Sprite from him. When these episodes are cleared, Delfino Plaza is suddenly flooded after a surge of water came gushing out of the cave behind the Shine Gate. This flood also wound up destroying the barrier obstructing the cave entrance, allowing Mario access into Corona Mountain. Working his way to the top of the volcano, Mario finds Bowser and Bowser Jr. relaxing in a huge hot tub of sludge with Peach with them. Mario then battles Bowser and Bowser Jr. by using Rocket Nozzle and then Ground Pounding from high up onto the five platforms protruding from the tub while avoiding Bowser and Bowser Jr.'s attacks. The force of the Ground Pound on the last platform flips the tub end-over-end and everyone plummets down out of Corona Mountain, while a large Shine Sprite hidden in the pool flies out.

Bowser, Junior, & Mario fall from the sky, Mario landed head-first onto an island just west of Delfino Plaza, while Peach is floating down with her umbrella and lands softly on the same island Mario has landed on. However, their reunion is cut short when they see F.L.U.D.D. malfunctioning. After looking at Mario giving its last words, F.L.U.D.D shuts down. The Shine Sprite from the hot tub returns to the Shine Gate as the residents of Isle Delfino apologize to Mario for falsely accusing him. Far away from the island, Bowser and Bowser Jr. (who landed on a raft) watch the celebration from a raft. Junior says he knew all along that Peach wasn't really his mother, and wants to fight Mario again. Bowser praises Junior and says that they rest a while. Later on, as Mario and Peach enjoy a sunset at Sirena Beach, they notice the Toads carrying F.L.U.D.D. which is okay and states, "The vacation starts now!" Pictures of their vacation are shown during the credits, showing Mario and his friends enjoying the island and its wonders. After the credits, a picture of Il Piantissimo discovering the Magic Paintbrush in the sands of Gelato Beach is shown, along with "The End" displayed in the lower right hand corner. However, defeating Bowser after collecting all 120 of the Shine Sprites replaces this picture with a group picture of friendly characters in the game posing in Hotel Delfino, with the the phrase "Have a relaxing vacation!" on the bottom.

(Mario faces the Polluted Piranha.)

(Shadow Mario's true self, Bowser Jr..)

(The ending screen for collecting all 120 Shine Sprites.)

Gameplay
Super Mario Sunshine is the first game where Mario extensively uses an accessory to complete his mission. F.L.U.D.D. (Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device) features spray and hovering capabilities when it is first acquired; other nozzles can be unlocked to extend F.L.U.D.D's functionality, such as the "Rocket Nozzle" which propels Mario high into the air, and the "Turbo Nozzle" that lets Mario sprint on land and water, as well as break down wooden doors.

The game contains a number of independent levels which can be reached from Delfino Plaza. Gameplay is based around collecting Shine Sprites by completing various tasks in the levels and over world, very similar to Super Mario 64, but with Shine Sprites instead of Power Stars. However, unlike in Super Mario 64 where the player could usually get most Power Stars no matter which mission was chosen, this game usually lets Mario obtain only the Shine Sprite the player selects from the screen prior to the level.

There are 120 Shine Sprites in the game, and 240 blue coins. Ten blue coins can be traded in for a Shine Sprite at the Boathouse in Delfino Plaza. There are two Shine Sprites at the airstrip, seventeen in the plaza (including one for collecting 100 coins and one in Corona Mountain), and 11 in each of the seven other areas (eight from main episodes, two hidden, and one for getting 100 coins). There are 30 blue coins in each of the seven areas, making 210, there are 19 in the plaza, one in the Airstrip, and ten in Corona Mountain, making 240 altogether.

At first, each of the seven areas features one task which may be completed to acquire a Shine Sprite. The player is then returned to Delfino Plaza and a new task is unlocked in the area they just played. Each area consists of up to eight of these tasks, as well as two hidden tasks, which may be played again at will once they are completed. Once the player has collected enough Shines in total, a new level is available at Delfino Plaza, either by the acquisition of a new ability or some plot-related event, such as Shadow Mario appearing in the Plaza.

Gameplay proceeds in this fashion until all of Shadow Mario's related missions are completed (the seventh mission of each level), which unlocks Corona Mountain, containing the final boss. As the total number of Shine Sprites available to obtain at any given point is greater than the number of Shine Sprites needed to unlock the next area, players may choose which tasks they want to attempt.

Mario can also ride Yoshis in this game, making Super Mario Sunshine the first 3-D Mario game to incorporate this functionality, being followed by Super Mario Galaxy 2. Yoshis can be used to eat enemies, as well as certain insects and birds that can produce Gold, Blue, or Red Coins, and even Shine Sprites in a few cases. Yoshis can also eat fruit and squirt the juice of the color of that fruit, just like F.L.U.D.D sprays water. This juice can be used to dissolve certain kinds of pulsating goop acting as obstacles, as well as to briefly transform enemies into platforms for Mario to step on. The color of the Yoshi, as well as the effect of its juice, depends on the type of fruit last eaten. However, Mario can't take Yoshi with him when he accesses a new area, meaning that Yoshi is only usable in certain areas and certain missions, and if Yoshi runs out of juice or touches deep water he will vanish, requiring Mario to find the egg and hatch it again.

Koji Kondo and Shinobu Tanaka produced the music for this game.

(Mario and Yoshi earning a Shine Sprite in Pianta Village.)

(The game's Blue Coin Shop.)

(Sirena Beach, a level in Mario Sunshine.)

(Mario battling Phantamanta on Sirena Beach.)

Why I Love This Game:
1. Difficulty: This is actually one the games I have yet to complete. The difficulty of this game is so hard that I almost came close to snapping. My girlfriend was better than me at this game and she too had a difficult time trying to get all 120 stars. Some people criticize this game for being too difficult and I can feel them, but it still provides a unique challenge.

2. Music: Here it is again. The music in this game is phenomenal, and barely scrapes the number five spot. The music in 4,3,2, and 1 is the one that I feel like is the strongest. Still, the music here is very enjoyable.

3. Exploration: Ah, many different places and world's to discover. Ranging from haunted hotels to an amusement park, to space, this game offers a lot of content.

4. Epic Boss Battles: This game introduced many bosses such as Bowser Jr, and Petey Piranha. The boss battles weren't redundant and they each provided a new challenge.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have this game, but never completed it either. The platforming stages (without FLUDD) were just downright cunts. :lol
Aside from that, very enjoyable game, although probably one of my least favourite Marios if I were to rank them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Good assessment BVD. I enjoyed playing it alot when it came out, but have little to no desire to go back and play it again, unlike any other Mario console game which I could pick up an any time and enjoy.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Randaran

I have this game, but never completed it either. The platforming stages (without FLUDD) were just downright cunts. :lol
Aside from that, very enjoyable game, although probably one of my least favourite Marios if I were to rank them.

Huh? Those were easily the best part of the game!
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Huh? Those were easily the best part of the game!

Platforming just doesn't work that well in 3D to begin with due to lack of depth perception and precision, and Mario's controls are too twitchy. If you're slightly off with your angles, he'll do a sideways flip or backflip instead of a regular jump, and if you just catch the edge of a wall instead of making the platform and go to jump, he'll do a kickflip backwards to his death. I'd say 90% of my deaths in those levels are because of either Mario doing the wrong jump, or the complete inability to judge where a moving platform is in 3D.
I really liked the FLUDD mechanic though, and it was fun to jetpack around and clean stuff up. I also like the exploration and challenges around the levels. But focusing that heavily on pure platforming in 3D in such an unforgiving way was a bad idea imo.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:54:28 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 4: Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
[/size]

Ah, now we get to the butter and bread games of Mario. These four are my absolute favorite's and without them, my life would be a lot more different. And scraping the edge of this list is a birthday gift from my girlfriend. Best girlfriend ever!   :angry:

What Is This Game?
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is a Nintendo DS game developed by AlphaDream and published by Nintendo. It is the third title in the Mario & Luigi series, preceded by Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the Game Boy Advance and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time for the Nintendo DS, and succeeded by Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam for the Nintendo 3DS. Unlike its predecessor, this game makes much greater use of the DS touch controls and microphone.

Story
After the Mushroom Kingdom's citizens start contracting the Blorbs, a mysterious disease that swells Toads to gigantic proportions, Princess Peach holds a conference meeting to find a solution for the problem. Mario, Luigi, Toadbert, Toadsworth and a Star Sprite named Starlow are all in attendance. Bowser crashes in uninvited, and when his temper fires up, he has to be defeated by Mario and sent flying out of the castle by Peach and Starlow. Bowser awakens in Dimble Wood and eventually comes across a mysterious cloaked merchant who gives him a so-called "Lucky Mushroom", but when he eats it, he begins inhaling everything in sight. The figure is revealed to be Fawful, who brings Bowser back to Peach's castle, where he inhales all the conference-goers and passes out.

Mario reawakens inside the Trash Pit area of Bowser's body, soon finding Starlow and Luigi, and using some newly-found hammers to hit an exposed nerve and rouse Bowser, who had been dumped in Cavi Cape Cave. Deciding not to tell Bowser that the Mario Bros. are inside him, only Starlow speaks to him (eventually under the alias "Chippy") in an attempt to figure out what happened, but Bowser cannot remember. Bowser makes his way outside and encounters Fawful, who explains that the Blorbs and the Vacuum Mushroom he gave Bowser were all part of a plan to conquer both the Mushroom Kingdom and Bowser's Castle. He then has his minion, Midbus, battle Bowser, who is unable to breathe fire or fight effectively, bringing the battle to an early close as the villains simply leave the weakened Koopa King to "work on [his] skills".

Incensed, Bowser sets out for his castle. Travelling along Plack Beach, he helps Broque Monsieur get back to shore after the piece of land he was on floated away - a feat made possibly by the Mario Bros. powering up Bowser from the inside. As a reward, Broque gives Bowser a Vacuum Block, allowing him to control his sucking abilities. After defeating the Sea Pipe Statue, Bowser drinks some water which causes changes in his body, allowing Mario and Luigi to enter a new area and defeat the Scutlet bug that was blocking Bowser's fire breath. After subduing Broque's rambunctious pet dog Broggy, Bowser enters Dimble Wood, where he eventually comes across Sergeant Guy, Corporal Paraplonk, and Private Goomp. The trio are planning to retake Bowser's castle with a Banzai Bill launcher, but it falls to Bowser to find ammunition. He tries to procure a giant carrot as a makeshift missile, but the Wiggler who had been growing it makes Bowser eat it instead and then attacks him, yielding up an actual Banzai Bill upon his defeat. On his way back to his minions, Bowser is overcome with stomach pain, and Mario and Luigi discover that he had eaten a large worm-like creature named Durmite along with the carrot; they defeat it in battle and it surprisingly shrinks and runs off.

Bowser returns to the cannon and fires the Banzai Bill at his enemy-occupied castle, however Midbus flies the rocket-powered building over the incoming missile and lands it on Bowser. The Mario Bros. revive him with adrenaline from the Rump Command, which has the unintended side-effect of turning Bowser as giant as the castle, which he then fights off with his bare hands. The castle flies away and Bowser gives chase, travelling through Bumpsy Plains and Bowser Path to reach his destination. Midbus launches a giant iron ball at Bowser, but he throws it back, knocking the castle out of the air and back onto its moorings for the last time. Entering the castle, Bowser discovers that Fawful has turned it into a theater and brainwashed all the Koopa Troop members into a pack of his own adoring fans. Fawful himself arrives and tricks Bowser, forcing him to perform a cage match with Midbus on stage. When Bowser wins, his prize is being forcibly fed fattening foods cooked by Fawful, gaining so much weight that he breaks through the floor and becomes trapped.

Exploring the newly opened Flab Zone and defeating some Kretin enemies, Mario and Luigi are reunited with Princess Peach, who explains that Fawful is actually after the Dark Star, an evil entity locked away under Toad Town that can only be revived using Peach herself. Fawful then uses a laser to extract Peach from Bowser and he and Midbus leave with her, while Bowser falls the rest of the way through the floor onto a treadmill they placed beneath him in the basement. He literally burns off all the excess fat, igniting a crate of Bob-Ombs in the processm which sends him blasting off back to Cavi Cape. He meets up with some Monty Mole minions and helps them drill all the way to Toad Town, but when Bowser wanders into the corridor leading to the Dark Star, the security system activates and electrocutes him into unconsciousness.

Mario and Luigi gain access to the Pipe Yard in Bowser's body, which allows them to use warp pipes to return to the outside world. They emerge in the Toad Town Tunnels themselves and try to head off Fawful, but arrive to late. Fawful takes the Dark Star to Peach's Castle and uses its power to create a barrier preventing the Mario Bros. from following him. With no other option, they head to Doctor Toadley to try and do something about the Blorbs problem instead, but Bowser arrives at the clinic as well and the three battle, with Bowser losing. Toadley then tells Mario and Luigi that they need to collect three Star Cures to cure the Blorbs and possibly find a way into the castle. Bowser awakens, hears this and rushes off, determined to find the cures before the Bros. Toadley then reveals to Mario and Luigi that the first cure is held by Durmite inside Bowser's body, and they head back in to get it. They locate Durmite immediately, but it flees through an impassable barrier of Boo Blocks, stopping the Mario Bros. in their tracks.

Meanwhile, Bowser heads to the shores of Blubble Lake, where his sneezes raise the propeller-topped Tower of Yikk out of the water and straight onto him. The Mario Bros. supersize Bowser again and he defeats the moving tower, venturing inside once he shrinks back to his regular size and meeting the ghost of Yikk, who shines his invention, the Boo-ray Machine, on Bowser's gut. The light from the machine causes the blocks to disappear and help Mario and Luigi navigate the maze beyond them, allowing them to track down Durmite, whose reveals herself to be a sage named Wisdurm. She battles them over the Star Cure, turning to a butterfly after her defeat and flying off.

Bowser leaves the tower and meets up with Private Goomp, who tells him that he already had one of the Star Cures locked away in his treasure chamber, having recently stolen it from an old Koopa named Kuzzle. Bowser returns to his castle only to find that the Monty Bros. were now under Fawful's control and had built a railway straight through the treasure vault. They use their train to push Bowser out of the castle bowels and into a boulder, resulting in another emergency revival and giant battle between Bowser and the train. Returning to his vault after wining the fight, Bowser realizes that he's forgotten the combination to the safe that the Star Cure is stored in, and asks "Chippy" to retrieve it for him. In the Memory Banks, Mario and Luigi have to defeat blocky doppelgangers of themselves, crafted from Bowser's own memories of them. After that, they reassemble a puzzle representing the memory and Bowser opens his safe, only to be pushed in by Private Goomp, Sergeant Guy, and Corporal Paraplonk, who had turned to Fawful's side. With nothing else to do in the cramped safe, Bowser eats the Star Cure, and it is retrieved from his gut by the Mario Bros.

Mario and Luigi return to Toad Town and are sent after the final Star Cure by Toadley. Guided by the doctor's messenger bird, Birdley, they meet the sage known as Chakron at the top of a cliff over Plack Beach, but he refuses to give them the Star Cure unless they can knock him out of the pose he has held for a thousand years. After a cryptic hint from Chakron, Mario and Luigi head for Dimble Wood to collect Attack Pieces for the ground-shacking Snack Basket move, but Mario is kidnapped by a Sockop and has to be rescued by Luigi, who wears a knocked-out Sockop like a Kuribo's Shoe to sneak into the enemies' territory. Reunited and having gathered all the pieces, the brothers return to Chakron and knock him over, so true to his word, he gives them the final Star Cure.

Back at the clinic, Doctor Toadley creates the Miracle Cure from the three Star Cures, which flies around ridding all the Toads of the Blorbs and then allows Mario and Luigi to blast their way through the barriers to get to Peach's Castle. They search the gardens for a way in and are attacked by Midbus, who uses the remote-control Junker robot to fight them. The Mario Bros. win the battle and the robot goes haywire, throwing the safe containing Bowser into a pile of garbage, breaking it open. Bowser's back seized up from being in the cramped safe for so long, so Mario and Luigi go back inside him to fix it, allowing him to break into Peach's Castle for them.

Bowser fights his way to Fawful and Midbus as they are slowly awakening the Dark Star. Fawful supercharges his minion into Blizzard Midbus, but Bowser wins the ensuing fight and Midbus's new ice powers end up freezing him solid. Bowser punches out Fawful as he tries to absorb the Dark Star's powers and he only gets a portion of it, with the rest of the revived evil entity sucking up Peach and then forcing its way inside Bowser. Mario and Luigi chase the Dark Star around as it absorbs Bowser's DNA and takes on his characteristics, eventually emerging as an incomplete copy of Bowser and floating off in search of the rest of its power. Bowser goes after it but is sidetracked by a final giant battle against Peach's Castle, which had been transformed into a giant robot by Fawful. He then battles Fawful himself, now souped-up by the Dark Star's powers into Dark Fawful. Bowser wins the fight and Fawful turns into a small ball of dark energy and tries to get away, but is absorbed by the Dark Star, allowing to fully transform into Dark Bowser.

The real Bowser goes after his copy, chasing it to the tallest tower where it deposits the unconscious Peach before being confirmed by Bowser, who aims to collect Peach, both castles and the Dark Star's powers. The final battle is waged on two fronts, starting off with Bowser fighting his clone, before punching it in the gut and forcing it to spit up Fawful. Bowser sucks up the little ball of energy and Mario and Luigi take over the fight, defeat both Fawful and the Dark Star Core inside Bowser. This leaves Dark Bowser unstable, and the real Bowser punches it until it explodes, freeing the Mushroom Kingdom from the Dark Star’s influence forever.

Inside Bowser, Fawful is then revealed to be on his way out, and with a dying grin, he attempts to take the Mario Bros. with him in a final explosion of his own, but all this accomplishes is making Bowser eject everyone he had inhaled. The liberated Toads and the now-conscious Peach move to congratulate Mario and Luigi on a job well done, and Bowser, confused and angry, realizes that the brothers had been inside his body the whole time. Starlow dismissively tells Bowser to not worry about what's in the past, but discovering that she was his supposedly loyal minion "Chippy" throws Bowser into a complete rage. The Toads and the Princess flee from the scene, and the credits roll over a montage of still images showing that Bowser loses the ensuing fight.

Afterward, the heavily-injured Bowser is seen lying in bed at his castle while Private Goomp, Sergeant Guy, and Corporal Paraplonk beg him for forgiveness over their treason. Birdley arrives with a package from Peach, but when Starlow pops out of it to check in on him, Bowser angrily tells her to leave, as he is too busy fixing his castle to attack again anytime soon. He then lets the trio rejoin the rest of the Koopa Troop in helping with the repairs, and only once he is sure he's alone does Bowser open the package, revealing a thank-you cake with himself, Mario, Luigi, and Peach on it.

As in the other two Mario & Luigi games, there is no "Endless Play" feature. As such, if the player plays the game after it is beaten and the ending is done, the game will just start from the last save point, before the final battle.

(The Blorbs being discussed.)

(Peach tells the story about the Dark Star.)

(Yikk presents the Boo-Ray Machine.)

(The Miracle Cure curing the blorb-infected Toads.)

(Bowser's cake.)

Battle System
The battle system of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is similar to that of its predecessors. There are some new additions to the system. In this instalment, all Action Commands are evaluated based on how well they are performed. There are five evaluation levels. Ranging from the worst to the best, these levels are: Nothing, OK, Good, Great, and Excellent. The better an Action Command is performed, the more damage an attack does. Receiving a Nothing is equivalent to not performing an Action Command at all. This is carried into all later instalments of the series.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Mario and Luigi's Battle System
The battle system with Mario and Luigi is similar to the battles from previous titles. There are now six categories of attack during battle, as opposed to Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time 's five, or Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga 's four. These are Jump, Hammer, Attack Pieces (Bros. Items), Items, Bros. Badges and Escape. The Bros. can defend with their jump and their hammers. The Jump makes Mario and/or Luigi jump to dodge an attack or to counter-attack. The Hammer is used to counter-attack. The music played while battling is the same as the music played during the debut trailer, as seen in the Japanese site.

A new element has been added to battles, a gauge at the bottom of the screen with Mario and Luigi's heads on either end. When Mario or Luigi pull off an action command, that brother's end of the bar fills slightly. When they meet in the middle, it's possible to use a Bros. Badge move. The effect varies with the equipped badge. The normal effect is to restore 20% of both brothers' HP. Badges can be bought in one of the shops in Toad Town. Some of the badges require that the Action Commands be pulled off perfectly (EXCELLENT is displayed), and some only need GOOD!. An extra block that appears in the battles can be used to swap the badges that brothers use.

(Mario and Luigi's Battle System.)

Bowser's Battle System
Bowser has almost the same battle system as Mario and Luigi's, but with a few differences. He has different options: Punch replaces Jump, Fire Breath replaces Hammer and Enemy Attacks replace Special Attacks. However, he does not have Bros. Badges. Instead, Bowser gains a vacuum ability after the player advances further through the game. He can swallow enemies with this new ability to make Mario and Luigi fight them in his belly. He can also swallow parts of enemies that can restore his HP, raise defense or attack power, or rescue a Blitty. Bowser's defenses are the Punch and the Shell. Bowser's Punch can counter-attack an enemy, while his spiky shell can hit enemies that try to jump on his head or protect him from attacks.

Enemy Attacks are special attacks that use mostly members of Bowser's army, which are Goombas, Koopas, Shy Guys, Bob-ombs, Magikoopas and Broggy. These attacks require the stylus to perform. These characters need to be liberated to unlock these attacks.

(Bowser's Battle System.)

Giant Bowser's Battle System
At certain points in the game, Bowser gets crushed by a large object such as Bowser's Castle. In order to revive Bowser, the Bros. must play a 2D-Shooter-like minigame in the Rump Command. When revived, Bowser grows to a giant state. In order to complete these battles, the player must rotate their DS sideways to play. In these battles, Bowser only has three options of attack. Punching requires quickly sliding the stylus across the screen to execute. Fire requires the player to blow into the DS microphone. The last option, Healing, requires Mushrooms found within the battle itself. Defending includes an event where the player must tap the touch screen in certain areas to counter-attack, punching to deflect blows, and blowing huge flames at the enemy. After each giant battle, Bowser returns to normal. There are four such battles in the game. This battle feature also makes a return in Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, except the player controls a gigantic Luigi instead of a gigantic Bowser.

Why I Love This Game
1. Music: The music in this game is beyond awesome. What I expect out of video game music is to allow me to feel like I am there. If there is a boss battle, I want the music to be intense, to keep me on my toes. If I'm in paradise like in a beach, I want the music to soothe my soul. This music does that.

a. Cavi Cape - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqLfHtOhzuI&index=56&list=PL6akIKaXBeU0hqxDzOjQNdg0aUE8U8KE9
(You're basically in beach paradise and the sun is shining down on you. Starlow once said Cavi Cape was once a mysterious place with only fog. Many people got lost and isolated in Cavi Cape. Doesn't this music give you the feeling of loss?)

b. Deep Castle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66y6456xAWg&index=9&list=PL6akIKaXBeU0hqxDzOjQNdg0aUE8U8KE9
(All hope is lost as Fawful takes over Peach's castle. The castle once brimming with joy has its fires snuffed out. What dangers lay ahead?)

c. Bumpsy Plains - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFg3CLbcgUw&list=PL6akIKaXBeU0hqxDzOjQNdg0aUE8U8KE9&index=27
(A grassland paradise. One of the only carefree songs out there.)

d. Giant Bowser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5A9xBIE5-w&index=52&list=PL6akIKaXBeU0hqxDzOjQNdg0aUE8U8KE9
(You become sooo big! This theme suits Bowser really well.)

e. In the Final - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6M2xt_Ks4Y&index=32&list=PL6akIKaXBeU0hqxDzOjQNdg0aUE8U8KE9
(Here is the behemoth. Hailed as the greatest song for this game, I couldn't agree. They even made an orchestral version of it. This theme keeps the pace of the battle going. This theme is set on my alarm clock.)

Music in video games shouldn't be overlooked. I once thought that music in video game was cheesy, but it brings atmosphere and just like good gameplay or a good story, a good music is what keeps games alive.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 3: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
[/size]

What is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door?
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is the second installment in the Paper Mario series, with the first being Paper Mario. It was released for the Nintendo GameCube in 2004. Its plot revolves around Mario, who embarks on a mission to collect the seven Crystal Stars in order to open the Thousand-Year Door. After learning that Princess Peach has been kidnapped, he also sets out on a mission to rescue her from the X-Nauts. The game has intermissions between each chapter, in which the player assumes the role of Bowser, as well as Peach, who have their own stories that complement the main plot.

Plot
The adventure begins when Princess Peach goes on a cruise to Rogueport where she meets a hooded woman, and buys a box which contains a map, which the princess sends to Mario, along with a letter asking him to help her search for the map's treasure. Soon after that, she is kidnapped by Sir Grodus. Mario receives the letter with the map and decides to help her, and thus boards a ship to Rogueport.

Shortly after Mario reaches Rogueport, he finds Lord Crump attempting to interrogate Goombella about the Crystal Stars. Mario intervenes and Lord Crump tries to defeat him. After defeating the X-Naut general and escaping from the X-Nauts, Goombella introduces herself, and Mario explains his quest to her. As Goombella is also searching for the map's treasure, she decides to join Mario. Then, Goombella suggests to go to Professor Frankly's house, to consult him and show him the map. At the professor's house, Frankly explains that the map is related to the legend of the treasure of the Thousand-Year Door, and that, to obtain the treasure, one must first open the door with the seven Crystal Stars. Said objects can be found by holding the Magical Map before the Thousand-Year Door, which is located in the town's sewers. So, Mario holds the map before the Thousand-Year Door, revealing the location of the first Crystal Star.

Mario and Goombella show the updated map to Professor Frankly, who reveals that the first Crystal Star is in Petal Meadows. To reach this place, they must find a pipe in Rogueport Sewers. After finding it, Mario and Goombella arrive to Petal Meadows, where they see Hooktail and her castle. The duo stops at a nearby village called Petalburg and discover from the mayor that the dragon Hooktail has been terrorizing the village. The mayor tells them that Hooktail guards the Crystal Star in her castle, and that to access it, they must find the two stone keys in Shhwonk Fortress. After finding them, Mario and Goombella march to Hooktail's castle, with Koops in tow (who wants to defeat Hooktail to avenge his dead father and become stronger). After navigating through the castle's traps with the help of Koops, they encounter the dragon and defeat her, allowing Koops's father to get out of the dragon's gut and present Mario with the Diamond Star.

Somewhere else, it is revealed that Princess Peach was abducted by the X-Nauts. When a X-Naut tells Sir Grodus someone got the first Crystal Star, Peach accidentally blurts out Mario's name. Grodus hears this and orders the Shadow Sirens to steal the map in Mario's possession. Peach soon meets TEC-XX, who develops an interest in Peach's concept of love, and asks for her help to understand it. Peach agrees; in exchange, TEC lets her send e-mails to Mario. During another scene transition, at Bowser's Castle, Kammy Koopa tells Bowser about Mario's quest to find the Crystal Stars and Peach's abduction, things that motivate Bowser to hunt for the Crystal Stars and kidnap Peach back. He and Kammy head for Rogueport.

Back in Petalburg, the group receives an e-mail from Peach, who tells them she has been kidnapped. Mario and co. head back to the Thousand-Year Door and reveal the location of the next star.

The second Crystal Star is revealed to be in The Great Tree, home of small creatures known as Punies, deep inside Boggly Woods. When searching for the pipe leading to Boggly Woods in Rogueport Sewers, Mario and his partners encounter Punio, who tells them that the X-Nauts have invaded the Great Tree, capturing most of the Punies and that the Jabbies, the Punies' enemies, have allied with the X-Nauts and are trying to expulse the Punies from the Great Tree. Mario and co. decide to help out the Punies, and therefore Punio leads the group to the Boggly Woods. After getting there, Mario and co. encounter the Shadow Sirens with a necklace, who do not recognize him due to having lost a sketch of him. The group continues and arrives to the Great Tree. However, they realize that the tree is locked. Punio suggests they find Madame Flurrie; to find the secret entrance. However, upon reaching her home, Flurrie reveals she has lost her necklace and doesn't want anyone to see her without it. After defeating the Sirens and returning the necklace to Flurrie, she joins them in their quest. The group finds the secret entrance and enters the tree; after freeing the locked Punies with the aid of a special orb and after solving the Great Tree's puzzles and defeating the Jabbies, they get the second star at the bottom of the tree. There, Lord Crump snatches it, and activates a time bomb to blow up the tree. After chasing him to the entrance, he stops the bomb and uses Magnus Von Grapple to fight the heroes, but he is defeated by the group. Afterwards, the X-Nauts evacuate the tree and Mario and co. obtain the Emerald Star.

At the X-Naut headquarters, the X-Nauts inform Sir Grodus that Mario has taken the Emerald Star. Meanwhile, TEC-XX calls for the Princess, and asks her to dance with him. TEC then lets Peach e-mail Mario.

Bowser can be seen arriving in Petalburg, and then talking to what he thinks is Peach, but is revealed to be a poster by a nearby Koopa.

As Mario and his team move on, they receive another e-mail from Peach, who tells them that the X-Nauts are searching for the Crystal Stars. Mario and his team reveal the location of the next Crystal Star, and they visit the Prof. for details.

The third Crystal Star appears on a large arena in a floating town. To reach Glitzville, Mario and the gang must visit Don Pianta. He offers them the ticket they need after doing him a favor. Once Mario and his team arrive in Glitzville, they enter the Glitz Pit, a popular place in which fighters brawl everyday, and spot the Crystal Star on the Champ's Belt, held by Rawk Hawk, the current champion of the Pit. They sign up in the Pit, battle through the ranks, and eventually gain a newborn Yoshi as a partner. Soon, a mysterious figure known only as "X" starts sending cryptic e-mails to Mario. The e-mails lead Mario and his partners to discover that the Star on the belt is a fake, and that the real Crystal Star is being used by Grubba, the promoter of the Glitz Pit. Mario & co. expose his wrongdoings and chase him into the arena, where he transforms into Macho Grubba in order to eliminate Mario and his friends. However, the group manages to defeat him. After the battle, Jolene, Grubba's assistant, appears and reveals herself as the mysterious X, explains her story, and gives Mario the Gold Star.

At the X-Naut base, TEC-XX asks Peach to go ask Grodus a question relating to his plans. The Princess goes undercover in an X-Naut disguise and learns that Grodus is plotting to use the Crystal Stars to take over the world. TEC allows her to send this message to Mario. Meanwhile, Bowser and Kammy are searching for one of the Crystal Stars in the Great Tree, where they discover that Mario has already got the Crystal Star.

Mario & co. receive another message from Peach; they promptly reveal the fourth crystal star's location.

Prof. Frankly tells the group that the Crystal Star is located in the Creepy Steeple, near a small town named Twilight Town. When Mario & co. get to Twilight Town, they discover that the village is under a curse cast by a monster who lives in the steeple. Using a new Black Chest Demon power, the group reaches the steeple, and battles the monster. During the battle, the monster uses an ability to steal Mario's name and body, transforming Mario into a shadowy version of himself. Mario's partners claim the Crystal Star and leave with whom they think is Mario. Meanwhile, the Shadow Sirens are in Twilight Town, planning on defeating Mario and his partners with their new weapon: the Superbombomb. However, Beldam seems to have lost it, prompting her to blame Vivian and to force her to search for it. The real Mario returns to Twilight Town, and helps Vivian with her problem. Out of gratitude, she joins Mario's party. They eventually discover that the monster's name is Doopliss; after telling Doopliss his name, he is weakened and flees to Creepy Steeple. Mario and Vivian chase him there and they fight once more. Mario and his new partner defeat Doopliss, allowing Mario to regain his name and body and to reclaim the Ruby Star.

At the X-Naut base, TEC-XX asks the Princess to participate in a sort of "quiz show" with him. By doing this, she discovers what the "treasure" of the Thousand-Year Door really is: the "treasure" is actually an ancient demon. The Princess then sends these news to Mario. Meanwhile, Bowser continues his quest for Crystal Stars by flying up to Glitzville in his Koopa Clown Car. However, it malfunctions halfway there, and he travels underwater to return to Rogueport. After he and Kammy return, he orders Kammy to continue her research on the Crystal Stars.

Back in Twilight Town, Mario and his friends receive the message from Peach. They reveal the next Crystal Star and visit Prof. Frankly for details.

The English name for the chapter, as well as its Spanish, Italian, and French translations, are referencing the Ernest Hemingway novel, For Whom the Bell Tolls.

The fifth Crystal Star is located deep within a pirate's lair on the southern island of Keelhaul Key. To reach the island, with the help of Flavio and Admiral Bobbery, they sail to the island with some Toads and Lord Crump in disguise (known as "Four-Eyes"). On their way to the island, Mario and co. are attacked by Cortez's Embers, which shipwrecks them on Keelhaul Key. Later on, some of the crew members are attacked by more Embers, and Bobbery sacrifices himself to save them. Bobbery says he is close to death, and after giving him his last request, they found out that he was just asleep; after Mario wakes him, he joins Mario's party. With the aid of Bobbery and Flavio's Skull Gem, Mario and co. enter Pirate's Grotto. After solving some puzzles, and after gaining another ability from a Black Chest Demon, they finally reach the lair of Cortez. After a battle, Cortez gives Mario his Sapphire Star. Afterwards, Lord Crump abandons his disguise and tells Mario that he will continue attacking him with his ship's cannons, until he hands over the Crystal Star. With the help of Cortez's ship and Flavio's Skull Gem, they defeat the invading X-Nauts, along with their leader.
In the X-Naut base, TEC-XX wishes to gain access to a disk at Grodus's room, and asks Peach to help him. After making an invisibility potion, she helps him and he promises to analyze the data. Peach then sends another e-mail to Mario, informing him of this. Meanwhile, in Twilight Town, Bowser and Kammy Koopa run into Lord Crump. The three get into an argument, which escalates to an armed confrontation between the Koopa Troop and the X-Nauts. However, Bowser inadvertently ignites the Superbombomb, knocking out both armies.

Back at Keelhaul Key, Cortez ferries Mario and his teammates to Rogueport. Mario gets the e-mail from Peach, telling them about what TEC is analyzing. Mario and his team then reveal the next Crystal Star's location, and visit Prof. Frankly for information.

The sixth Crystal Star is in the Poshley Sanctum of the town Poshley Heights. The only way to reach the town is on the famous Excess Express. After doing Don Pianta another favor, he gives Mario the train ticket.

On the first day at the Excess Express, Mario and his team found many mysterious happenings, including thefts of items and messages threatening to blow up the train. On their second day of travel, Pennington, a Bumpty detective, helps Mario and his friends to solve the crimes and they manage to capture a fake Zip Toad who was really Doopliss in disguise, and was the one who attempted to halt the train by causing an explosion with some stolen items. At sundown, when the train stops at Riverside Station for refuel, Doopliss escapes capture. Mario and company find that the drawbridge has been lifted, preventing the Excess Express from continuing its route. The gang enters Riverside Station and flips the switch to bring the drawbridge back down. They discover that a group of Smorgs are behind it. On the third and final day of the journey, a stowaway Smorg monster attacks the train, kidnapping all of its passengers. Mario and his friends defeat the creature, rescuing the passengers in the process, and finally reach Poshley Heights. They venture into Poshley Sanctum, a museum that happens to belong to Pennington. The Shadow Sirens happen to be already inside, and snatch what appears to be the Garnet Star and run away. However, Pennington reveals that what they stole was a fake, and lets Mario find where the real Crystal Star is. After some exploring, Mario and company manage to find the real Garnet Star.
Back at the X-Naut base, the X-Nauts tell Grodus that Mario has six of the seven Crystal Stars. They also tell him of TEC's betrayal. Meanwhile, TEC tells the Princess the data he gained from Grodus's data disk, and prepares to help Peach escape. Before he is able to, Grodus enters with two X-Nauts and orders them to initiate the data-wipe procedure. TEC tells Peach "I love you" just before he is shut down.

Meanwhile, Bowser is searching for another Crystal Star in Rawk Hawk's workout room, which he has found in the form of the Champ's Belt. However, he quickly learns that it is not a real Crystal Star, just a glass fake.

Mario and his team return to Rogueport and receive an e-mail from Peach, telling about what the X-Nauts plan to do with her, but an important part of it is cut off due to TEC being shut down. Back in Rogueport, Mario and co. reveal the next Crystal Star's location and visit Prof. Frankly for details.

The last Crystal Star appears to be on the Moon. To reach the Moon, Mario and his companions travel to Fahr Outpost to find a cannon to shoot to the Moon. After searching for Goldbob and General White, whose blessings are needed to operate the cannon, Mario & co. enter the cannon and are shot to the Moon.
On the Moon, the group discovers the X-Naut Fortress. Once they arrive at the end of it, Lord Crump appears, bragging about his latest creation — Magnus Von Grapple 2.0, and tries once more to defeat Mario and company. After Lord Crump is defeated, the Crystal Star is released.

Meanwhile, Bowser is searching for another Crystal Star in the Poshley Sanctum. A Paragoomba flies in and tells Bowser that Mario has collected every Crystal Star and is heading for the Thousand-Year Door, which contains a great treasure. Bowser announces that he will steal this treasure and defeat Mario.

As Mario and his allies prepare to leave the fortress, they discover that all of the doors have been locked, except for one. In this room, the heroes find TEC, who is running on backup power. He recognizes Mario and tells him to rescue the Princess, who has been taken to the Palace of Shadow, a place that lies beyond the Thousand-Year Door. He then activates an emergency transporter. The group is transported to a room in Rogueport Sewers. After exiting the room, Prof. Frankly meets them at the entrance and urges them to open the Thousand-Year Door.

After Mario has received all seven Crystal Stars, the time has come to open the Thousand-Year Door and enter the Palace of Shadow to rescue Princess Peach from Grodus.
Mario and his friends open the Thousand-Year Door with the seven Crystal Stars, allowing them to enter the Palace of Shadow. The palace itself is full of enemies, puzzles, and traps. Eventually, Mario and co. battle and trounce the Shadow Sirens and a black dragon named Gloomtail, older brother of Hooktail. After the dragon's defeat, he relinquishes the key to access the Riddle Tower. After solving the puzzles of the tower, a secret passage is revealed, which lets Mario continue forward. Finally, Mario reaches the Throne Room of the palace, where he finds and defeats Sir Grodus. Bowser and Kammy, who drop in unexpectedly, also battle Mario, but are thwarted in the end. Grodus uses the distraction of the battle to bring the Princess into the deepest part of the palace. There, he opens a sealed coffin and frees the Shadow Queen, the ancient demon of legend. Beldam suddenly appears and announces that she was the one who orchestrated the plot to free her mistress. The Shadow Queen refuses to be controlled by Grodus, and fries him with a lightning bolt, supposedly killing him. The Queen then possesses Princess Peach, using her as a vessel to sustain her life. The world is then covered in darkness. Mario and his allies fight the Queen, but she eventually decides to fight in her real form, in which she is invincible. She proves too much for the group to handle, however, the Crystal Stars suddenly react to the evil of the Queen and fly throughout the world, each returning to where they were found, allowing the people of the world to cheer on Mario and his party. The hope of the people of the world break through the Queen's invulnerability, and this also allows Peach to give the heroes the last of her power. Strengthened, the heroes seal the Shadow Queen forever, saving the world.

Goombella later sends Mario a message, explaining what everyone has done: she works with Professor Frankly, while Koops plans on becoming the Mayor of Petalburg. Flurrie has returned to the stage and enacts "Paper Mario" as her comeback smash while Doopliss plays the role of Mario. The Yoshi Kid fights in the Glitz Pit as the "Great Gonzales Jr.", while Vivian has forgiven her sisters and lives in Twilight Town. Admiral Bobbery sails the seas with Cortez, and Ms. Mowz runs her Lovely Howz of Badges. Lord Crump, Grodus and the X-Nauts survived and are spending their time in Poshley Heights. TEC survived as well, and hopes to see the Princess again one day. The game ends when the Princess arrives with another treasure map.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Gameplay:
In terms of gameplay, The Thousand-Year Door brings over the core mechanics of the N64 original and enhances them. Mario now has a voice used for jumping and attacking, and starts his adventure with a hammer. Action Commands can also be performed from the start. However, he has lost the ability to Spin Dash from the original game.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door brings up new gameplay elements not present in the original Paper Mario game. Throughout the game, Mario finds four black treasure chests, which give Mario special abilities to use in the overworld. They all base on the Paper element of the game's graphics. With the first ability (called Plane Mode), Mario is able fold himself to a paper airplane at certain spots, allowing him to fly over large gaps. The second ability (called Paper Mode) allows him to turn sideways, making him as thin as paper, so that he can get through very narrow passages. With the third ability (called Tube Mode), Mario can roll himself up, allowing him to roll through low passages. With the fourth ability (called Boat Mode), he can fold himself to a paper ship at certain docks, allowing him to move over water. It is noticeable that, to use Tube Mode, Mario has to activate Paper Mode first, and then roll himself u

The partner system is also enhanced. Unlike the original, where partners had a simple fine/injured status system, this game gives partners their own Heart Points. As such, partners can fall in battle, and items such as the Mushroom can be used on them as well. Several partners are similar to ones seen in Paper Mario, like Koops being the counterpart of Kooper, but generally have more abilities available. Timed moves are more abundant in this game. In addition, battles are set up on a stage, like a play; this greatly affects battles, and characters can interact with the audience and stage.

(Mario and his partner encountering Hooktail.)

(Petalburg.)

(The Shadow Queen/Peach.)

Why I Love This Game:
1. Music - Once again, the music strikes back. This time, it just gets more badass then the others. :zydar:
The boss battle is sick and each boss has new themes that really get you going.

a. The Shadow Peach Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zZtBuZ1uI4
(This music really puts you in the mood for the game. With the creepy organ and synth and the mysterious noises....you are in for quite a fight!)

b. The Shadow Queen Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0m0d4aE8NE
(Here it is! The final battle! I find this theme to be one of the most complicated boss themes Koji Kondo has thrown to us. This is filled with almost everything and this was my favorite theme for quite a while.)

c. Rawk Hawk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYwcHDAcxVM
(The closest "rock" song, this theme really gets you going. After all, you are competing for the prize to be the greatest master! Just defeat this hawk!)

d. Macho Grubba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhCSbw-HHBc
(This is my favorite theme of this game. With percussion and a nice piccolo solo, man, this takes it in the bag.

e. Dooplis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvug9_xljlY
(This is one fun theme to listen to. Whenever I have a test the next day, I have an alarm go off with this song. Puts me in my place. Love the organ solo.)

2. Exploration - Once again, eight new worlds to explore. Each world takes us to a lot of places such as the moon, a grotto, an arena, a train, and many more! I loved hanging around Poshley Heights because that was where the rich people lived.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Randaran

I loved Bowser's Inside Story. One of my favorite DS games, and a really satisfying 100% completion.

Has anyone here played the 3DS M&L games? If so, which one(s) would you recommend? I recall that a recent Mario game - I'm not sure if it's the new Paper Mario or M&L, or something else entirely - was really controversial.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I really want to try Paper Mario. The more I read about it the more interested I am.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
You should play it! It really is an amazing game.
:tup

Number 2: Super Mario Galaxy II

What is Super Mario Galaxy 2?
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a 3D action platformer game for the Wii. It is the sequel to Super Mario Galaxy and is the fourth 3D platformer entry in the Mario franchise; it is also the first 3D platformer in the Mario series to be released on the same console as its predecessor (Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released on the Wii; the same console that Super Mario Galaxy was originally released for). The sequel retains many elements from its predecessor, such as the adventure being in outer space, the element of gravity, and recurring objects such as Launch Stars and Sling Stars. Returning items include the Bee Mushroom and the Fire Flower. However, the game introduces new elements as well, such as the utilization of Yoshi, new power-ups like the Cloud Flower, and the use of a guide within the game for beginner players. All releases of the game except for the American version include a beginner's DVD to help players understand the controls and items if they haven't played Super Mario Galaxy. In North America, help for beginners is found on the official website as well as on the Nintendo Channel.

Plot
The game's story takes place in a parallel world to that of Super Mario Galaxy[1]. Every one hundred years, shining stardust falls on Mushroom Kingdom. On this particular day, residents of the Mushroom Kingdom come out and enjoy throwing and playing with the stardust.

Princess Peach invites Mario to share some cake while watching the shooting stars. On his way to Peach's Castle, Mario finds a lost Baby Luma, who seems to like Mario and jumps into his hat, granting him spin power. Near the castle, Mario discovers it under attack by Bowser, now gigantic thanks to the Power Stars, who kidnaps Peach and takes her away to the center of the universe. In response, Lumas who crashed near the castle offer to aid Mario to chase Bowser by transforming into a Launch Star and launching Mario to space.

After collecting a Power Star, Mario arrives on a planet-like object, where he meets Lubba, who tells his crew and their spaceship were attacked by Bowser. Realizing both him and Mario need each others' help to collect the stolen Power Stars and rescue Peach, he uses the Power Star to fix his ship and transform it into Starship Mario, which is used to travel through space and find more Power Stars. During his travels, Mario has to deal with Bowser's forces, including Bowser Jr. and Giant Bowser himself.

Finally, Mario and friends locate Bowser's Galaxy Generator, where Bowser is fought for the final time. After Bowser's defeat, his empire becomes undone, and Peach is saved. A comet which was caught by Bowser's fortress is also freed, and is revealed to be the Comet Observatory. Rosalina then appears, happy to see that Baby Luma is safe. Baby Luma, overjoyed that he's reunited with his "mama", heads back to his home, and takes Mario's hat as a souvenir, much to Mario's surprise. After the Comet Observatory leaves, Mario and Peach return to their own home using the Starship Mario. Along the way, Bowser is shown in a tiny form near Peach's Castle.

If the player collects the first 120 Power Stars and battles Bowser again in his fortress, an extra scene is shown after the credits, revealing Rosalina and her Lumas in the Comet Observatory's Library. She has finished reading a story to them (possibly the events of the game itself) and plans on telling the Lumas a new story about the Green Power Stars. A new feature is then unlocked in which all the galaxies are visited by green Prankster Comets. From there, the player must hunt down all the Green Stars. When they are all collected (adding up to 240 Power Stars), the Grandmaster Galaxy will be opened in World S. It houses the last two Power Stars, and when the last one is reached, Rosalina will congratulate the player, and will appear on Starship Mario.

(Giant Bowser.)

(Baby Luma bidding farewell to Mario and Peach.)

(Rosalina telling stories to the Lumas.)

Gameplay Elements:
The gameplay is similar to Super Mario Galaxy, with a focus on platforming based on and around 3-D planets of varying sizes and with many different types of surfaces. Power-ups, such as the Bee Mushroom, Boo Mushroom, Spring Mushroom, and Fire Flower make a return, along with new ones such as the Rock Mushroom and the Cloud Flower, as well as various enemies and Airships. Launch Stars reappear for interplanetary navigation, along with a Luma and Mario's spin action. Additionally, the concept of "Dark Matter" appears as the medium of which Cosmic Clones are composed, and as a portal through which Airships emerge from. 2-D stages featured in Super Mario Galaxy are also included in Super Mario Galaxy 2, introducing many new features. The game has only 3 file slots to use, unlike the 6 files in the preceding game and files can no longer be copied.

Galaxies:
All forty-nine Galaxies can be accessed via the Grand World Map with Starship Mario. There are seven more galaxies in this game than in the first game.

(The Grand World Map.)
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Now, here is why I love the game. It is both music and exploration again and I will tell you the key elements to why this is at my number two spot.

My Favorite Galaxies:
1. Cosmic Cove Galaxy - "Cosmic Cove Galaxy is a galaxy in World 2 in Super Mario Galaxy 2. It is primarily a water-themed level, where players can freeze the water in the first mission to skate on the ice and up water falls, or swim through caverns to find key objects. Penguins such as Coach and Penguru appear as inhabitants of this galaxy, where they can assist players by giving them helpful hints. Common enemies here include Skeeters and Koopa Troopas, as well as underwater enemies such as Snoodles. This is the only galaxy in World 2 with two main missions. One of its levels, Catch that Star Bunny, makes Cosmic Cove Galaxy the only galaxy in the game that has a mission that involves catching a Star Bunny."

The Cosmic Cove Galaxy.

Mario in the Starting Area.

Top view.

Penguru explaining to Mario what to do at the Twin Falls.

Mario swimming in the Cosmic Cavern.

Mario swimming in the Water Maze.

Isn't this place beautiful? This is what I call paradise. I always adored Mario games for its graphics and this Galaxy is not an exception. This is basically a water paradise. If there is one place I would like to visit in my lifetime, it'd be this place. So calming, so haunting, and so chilling.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlIdlrlv6Ak
This music is amazing and it is basically a lullaby to me, when I can't sleep because of a nightmare or because I keep on waking up, calling my girlfriend's name. This helps me with my panic attack and I'm grateful for this music. I have finally found some peace with this music. The harp and piano duet can soothe anyone's soul. Why not give it a listen?

2. Slimy Spring Galaxy - "Slimy Spring Galaxy is a galaxy appearing in the game Super Mario Galaxy 2. It is located in World 6 and it mostly takes place under water. It makes extensive use of the Green Shell to move around underwater. Common enemies here include Snoodles, Urchins, and Boos. This is the only galaxy in the game that can be accessed after getting a star in a galaxy made out of a Hungry Luma. (Besides the Grandmaster Galaxy)."

(The Spring Galaxy.)

(Luigi in the Starting Area.)

(Luigi swimming in the first area.)

(The slide.)

(Luigi in the Oasis Area.)

(The Sunset.)

Another beautiful underwater Galaxy that speaks to a lot. I find this place to be another piece of paradise. When I am in this Galaxy, I feel like I am choking. The place is really foggy and it is almost like it's claustrophobic. After traversing through this entire, beautiful Galaxy, you are greeted a beautiful view of the sun. People praise the sun as one of the most visually appealing in Mario games and I agree. It nearly made my heart stop. Another paradise where I can be alone with my girlfriend, staring off as the sun sets.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv32a4HBIM

The music....sounds awfully chilling, yet is like a warm embrace. I find myself shivering every time I listen to this music. There is something about it.....I can't describe it.

3. Starshine Beach Galaxy - "Starshine Beach Galaxy is a galaxy located in World 4 of the game Super Mario Galaxy 2. The galaxy is beach-themed and has some elements from the game Super Mario Sunshine's Isle Delfino, including Piantas that can hurl the player to other parts of the galaxy and a statue similar to the Grand Pianta Statue in Delfino Plaza. The tower in this galaxy also bears a resemblance to the Shine Tower from Gelato Beach. The galaxy is also slightly shaped like a dolphin, much like Isle Delfino, and the background music uses similar instrumentation to Super Mario Sunshine's Delfino Plaza music. Yoshi is also found in this galaxy. Crabs and Lakitus are common enemies. Dash Peppers and Blimp Fruits are also found in this galaxy."

Starshine Beach.

Mario on the Starting Planet.

Approaching the beach.

Mario and Yoshi about to collect a silver star.

Luigi near the star.

Ah, Starshine Beach. Next time you go to a beach, seriously, do yourself a favor by grabbing a coconut and a straw inside it. As you lie in your chair and hear the waves, take a sip of that coconut while listening to this music. Seriously, it is satisfying. This galaxy, compared to the other two, have water, but it is much brighter. Super Mario Galaxy 2, why do you have to torture me like this?!

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFeCJyXmUSA

The music itself is refreshing to hear. Are you having a stressful day? To unwind, listen to this music while closing your eyes and remembering happy thoughts. Does it help you?

4. Melty Monster Galaxy - "Melty Monster Galaxy is a galaxy in the game Super Mario Galaxy 2. It is located in World 6, being the first galaxy in that world. The galaxy is completely covered in lava, with a magma tide that rises and falls every so often. The main obstacle here is the magma and its tide. As the name suggests, the most common enemies in the galaxy include giant lava monsters known as Magmaarghs and Magmaws. However, Octogoombas, Li'l Cinders, and Pinheads are also found. This galaxy doesn't have a Prankster Comet until the player unlocks the green stars."

Melty Monster Galaxy.

Mario on the starting planet.

Mario using the Pull Stars to get past among the Lava Planets.

Mario using a Galactic Tornado on the Magma Sea.

Mario near the Magmaw Planet.

Mario on the Magmaw Planet.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UYXABAC06s

A really beautiful galaxy, filled with lava and monsters that want you dead. Still, this place basically feels like hell. I don't know how Mario can survive all this heat. Kudos to him, though. The music itself is very frantic and fast paced, you don't know what is coming until it's too late. I always used to have trouble with those huge Magmaw's. They are a pain, but otherwise, this level is great and is home to one of the hardest level in the game.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
And just a very quick warning.

My number 1 game, the write up will be super long. This game has been in my heart forever and the loss of my loved ones just made it jump in nostalgia, sadness, and comfort. I will post it tomorrow and please only read it if you have time to spare. To those who read these write ups fully, I suggest you read it when you have the willing time and effort. To those who scan it, you can scan it quickly if you want and if you are a scanner, disregard this message.

I will pour out my living heart and soul, anger, pain, comfort, and happiness in the next write up

Thank you.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Randaran

I'd argue that Melty Monster Galaxy was the biggest disappointment in Galaxy 2, but your other favorite stages align with some of my own! Most of my other favorites have some sort of above and beyond creative level design (Chompworks, Beat Block, Clockwork Ruins, etc). Slimy Spring and Cosmic Cove also occupy my #1 and #2 spots. :)

My only complaint, once again, is that the game is too easy. Aside from that bullshit final stage, I had very little trouble completing the game.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Nice! I'm glad we agree! And why is Melty Monster your least favorite? And yeah, The Perfect Run is a pain in the.... :)
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 1: Super Paper Mario

Alright everyone, are you ready for this?? I know I am! You have to understand the story and when you do, I hope you feel what I feel.

What is Super Paper Mario?
Super Paper Mario is an action-adventure role-playing game for the Wii. Unlike other Paper Mario games, Super Paper Mario is a platformer and doesn't use a turn-based battle system, but rather incorporates RPG elements with platforming. The game fuses elements of 2D and 3D gameplay together, shifting back and forth between dimensions, once being described as a "2.5D" sidescroller by Nintendo Power magazine. In addition to the regular Paper Mario aesthetics, the game also uses many novel character, enemy, and background designs, including a fully pixelated world and the use of sprites from the classic Super Mario Bros. for certain techniques.

The story focuses on Mario, Princess Peach, Luigi, and Bowser journeying across various dimensions to stop a villain named Count Bleck from destroying all of existence. In addition to the four playable characters are fairy-like Pixls that grant the main party members various extra abilities, such as hammering objects or calling up a temporary shield. As the players defeat enemies, they accumulate points and level up, making their own attacks stronger. While the plot is considered dark by Mario standards, as in earlier Paper Mario titles, humorous dialogue and references to other games, nerd culture and even mythology abound.

The game was originally planned for a 2006 release on the Nintendo GameCube, but was moved to the newer Wii console. Motion controls were added to certain gameplay features, pushing the release date back to April 2007 for North America and Japan, and September of that year for the PAL region.

The Story:
The story opens with Mario and Luigi being informed by Toad about Princess Peach's latest kidnapping. Believing Bowser to be the culprit once again, the brothers immediately head off to his castle, only to find him preparing to attack. A villain named Count Bleck then appears with his assistant, Nastasia and Princess Peach, who is his prisoner. He announces his plans to use Peach "to destroy all worlds", renders Mario unconscious with his dark powers, and kidnaps Bowser as well, with Luigi and the Koopa Troop being sucked away too.

Elsewhere, Peach regains consciousness to find that she and Bowser are dressed in wedding outfits and standing at an altar, with Count Bleck officiating. Nastasia uses mind control powers to force Peach to say "I do", and the marriage between her and Bowser calls forth the Chaos Heart. Luigi awakens in the Koopa crowd watching the ceremony and attempts to intervene, but he is too late as Bleck uses the Chaos Heart to open a dimensional rift known as The Void, fulfilling a prophecy he read in an ancient book known as the Dark Prognosticus, in which all worlds are destroyed.

Back at Bowser's Castle, Mario is awakened by a Pixl named Tippi, who brings him to the town of Flipside and introduces him to Merlon. He owns the benevolent counterpart of Bleck's book, the Light Prognosticus, which indicates that a hero fitting Mario's description can stop the Void, which is visible in the sky above Flipside and slowly growing. Merlon gives Mario the first of eight Pure Hearts that he will need to counteract the Chaos Heart, which he places into the first Heart Pillar to cause a door to appear on the top of Flipside Tower leading straight to Lineland, where the next Pure Heart is. Merlon also tells Mario that he must also learn the "dimensional technique" from his friend Bestovius there in order to find the rest of the Pure Hearts.

Meanwhile, in Castle Bleck, the Count and Nastasia meet with the other three minions, Dimentio, O'Chunks, and the shape-shifting Mimi. Count Bleck promises to replace the destroyed worlds with a perfect world where all his minions' dreams will come true, and when Nastasia mentions that the hero of prophecy may be active, O'Chunks volunteers to take care of him, with Dimentio tagging along to watch the show.

Meet the Main Heroes:
1) Mario - Mario has the ability to flip between dimensions using A Button. When Mario flips, everything shifts between 2-D and 3-D, revealing interesting secrets, hidden enemies, and a whole new perspective on the world. Most enemies appear only in one dimension, but some can flip between them.

2) Luigi - Luigi can jump higher by pressing the +Control Pad down key to activate his Super Jump to reach enemies and high places.

3) Princess Peach - Peach can float through the sky with her parasol using Two Button. She can also shield herself with her parasol by pressing down.

4) Bowser - Bowser can incinerate enemies with his fire breath by pressing down, Bowser will breathe fire on anything in his path. Also, note that when enemies jump on Bowser's spikes, Bowser is harmed. Bowser cannot climb ladders.

5) Tippi - Tippi is the first Pixl that Mario will find. She resembles a butterfly, and can find secrets and areas previously inaccessible without her. She will also give information on characters and give the crew hints. Tippi is unique because she is always active, so Mario will always have two Pixls out at once (one of which is usually Tippi except in certain parts in the game). Tiptron will get this power at the end of the game when Tippi permanently leaves the player.

Other pixels:
1. Thoreau - Use One Button to grab objects and enemies and press One Button again to throw them. Just remember, you can't pick up spiky enemies. You can also press One Button to throw Thoreau and activate switches at a distance.

2. Boomer - Press One Button to set down Boomer, and press One Button again to detonate him. You can do this to attack enemies or break blocks. If you wait long enough, Boomer will explode even if you don't press One Button.

3. Slim - Slim will allow Mario and crew to turn sideways, and squeeze through tight spaces such as rails. Also, if the player stands still he'll become invisible.

4. Thudley - Thudley resembles a weight. Thudley will give Mario and friends the ability to Ground Pound. It deals double damage with Mario, Peach and Luigi, and four times the regular damage with Bowser.

5. Carrie - Carrie is able to turn into a platform that can carry Mario and Co. through dangerous places, to safety. She can travel over spikes and take no damage. She can also jump on spiked enemies without sustaining damage.

6. Fleep - Fleep can flip objects caught in a different dimension back to its original one. Mario and co. should look for shining objects that resemble a lightning bolt. He can also make enemies dizzy so the player can pass them by. Fleep is also the only Pixl that cannot be used in 3D, and is the least used of all the required Pixls in the game.

7. Cudge - Cudge resembles a mallet. Cudge lets Mario and co. use a hammer like in previous Paper Mario titles. It can slam down posts, break open areas, and does double damage.

8. Dottie - Dottie has the ability to shrink the main character. The player can then go into little red doors (Shops with hard to find items). Enemies will not notice the player, but if Mario and co. touch them they will still take damage.

9. Barry - Barry can surround the main character with a strong barrier that can destroy enemies in its way. He can also shoot sound waves that can hurt enemies when he turns into a barrier. He is obtained by visiting The Bitlands after rescuing Tippi and talking to him. (optional)

10. Dashell - Dashell provides a speed boost for the party. It is best useful when traveling from place to place. He is obtained by completing the Flipside Pit of 100 Trials. (optional)

11. Piccolo - Piccolo plays music (different styles with each character) that can cure Mario and his team from any status problems, excluding poison. Using music, she can break blocks with her outline carved in it and can also put the Underchomp to sleep. She is obtained by completing a side quest from Merlee after Chapter 5 and unlocking the door in the alleyway of the first floor of Flopside. (optional)

12. Tiptron - Although not a Pixl, Tiptron can be bought off of Francis for 999 coins as an additional partner. It replaces Tippi at the end of the game and has all of the same powers as her, even her consciousness. (optional)

Meet the Villains:
1) Count Bleck - “Bleh heh heh heh heh heh... The man known as Blumiere died long ago. Now there is only Bleck! The Dark Prognosticus's choice to fulfill the prophecy. Nothing more!”
—Count Bleck, Super Paper Mario

Lord Blumiere (also known as Count Bleck) is an evil count and is initially the primary antagonist of the Wii game Super Paper Mario. While "Bleck" is normally used as onomatopoeia for disgust, it could be interpreted as a corruption of the word "Black" (as in darkness); his Japanese name is also a play on the French word for "black", noir. His real name is likely a combination of blue, referring to his coloration, and lumière, the French term for light and a reference to his status as a member of the Tribe of Darkness.

Count Bleck was responsible for bringing forth the Chaos Heart by forcefully marrying Princess Peach to Bowser, so he can use the Heart to open The Void, which would shortly destroy all dimensions. He leads a troop of minions with him, including Nastasia, O'Chunks, Mimi, Mr. L, and Dimentio, the last of whom ultimately betrays Bleck towards the end of the game. In the end, however, he changes his ways after being reunited with his love and redeems himself by destroying the Chaos Heart, thereby helping Mario and friends save all worlds.

2) Dimentio - “Master of dimensions... Pleaser of crowds... I am... Dimentio!”
—Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

Dimentio is a villain in Super Paper Mario. His name is a pun on dementia and dimension. Like Mario and Mimi, he can flip between dimensions, but he can also manipulate them (an ability he shares with Merloo) and controls Dimension D, which he designed. Skilled in duplication, teleportation, and invisibility, Dimentio is one of the four main minions of Count Bleck, along with O'Chunks, Mimi, and Nastasia. However, over the course of the game, Dimentio eventually reveals himself to be the true main antagonist, using his "master" merely as a way to further his plans to obtain the Chaos Heart and use its power for his own agenda. According to the InterNed, his theme is called "Dimentio, Charming Magician" and his battle theme is called "It's Showtime".

3) Nastasia - "I'm just gonna pencil you in for a ten o' clock brain washing, K?”
—Nastasia, Super Paper Mario

Nastasia is a villain in Super Paper Mario, and is the right-hand woman of Count Bleck, the main antagonist of the game. Unusually for such a high-ranking adversary, though, and unlike the rest of Count Bleck's minions, she is never fought directly; instead, most of Bleck's minions were brainwashed by Nastasia's powerful hypnosis abilities. She can even use it to force people into doing things they would never contemplate in their right mind, most notably when she made Peach marry Bowser so as to allow the Chaos Heart to be created. She functions as if she is Bleck's secretary, trying to keep things running according to his schedule and relaying his orders, even going so far as to repeat them verbatim to give them emphasis. Like many of Bleck's minions, she is very close to her master. Bleck trusted Nastasia enough to let her know the story about his identity as Lord Blumiere and his lost love, Timpani. Her name is Greek for "She who shall rise up again", possibly a reference to her only falling unconscious from a deadly attack, or the story with the bat and the man. It is also a pun on the word "nasty" and possibly "Anastasia" or "Natasha".

4) O'Chunks - “Now I'm going to 'av teh get chunky on yeh!”
—O'Chunks, Super Paper Mario

O'Chunks is one of the main villains in the game Super Paper Mario and a minion of Count Bleck. He is fought a total of four times in the game, making him the most encountered boss in the game. He speaks with a Scottish accent and his bushy ginger beard and eagerness to brawl are both Scottish stereotypes. However, the fact that his name begins with "O'" is an Irish tradition. Other translations use the Scottish patronym "Mc" instead, while in the Italian version, he has a stereotypical Roman accent. According to The InterNed, his theme is called "O'Chunks, Warrior", and his battle theme is "Ready, GO!"

5) Mimi - “You DUMMIES! The only reason I'm even HERE is to get in the way!”
—Mimi, Super Paper Mario

Mimi is one of the main villains in the game Super Paper Mario and a minion of Count Bleck. She has a violent and cruel temper and uses her appearance as a cute and innocent girl to lure travelers into becoming slaves. She possesses the ability to shape-shift, often taking the disguises of Merlee and other characters, hence her name, that is derived from the word "mimic". According to the InterNed, Mimi's theme is called "Mimi the Copycat", her first battle theme is called "Mimi Battle" and her second and third battle theme "I'm Not Nice". Her true form is that of an evil-looking robotic spider, seen during most of the battles against her. Whenever Mimi is in her true form, her dialogue box is in a shade of purple with white text color, similar to the Shadow Queen and Bonetail in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

(The Wedding.)
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
[size=13Chapter 1: The Linelandpt][/size]
Mario was called upon once again to save the world... no small task.
Could he prevent Count Bleck from pulling off his sinister plot?

Would Mario reunite with Princess Peach?

A truly interdimensional adventure was about to begin...

Lineland is the setting of Chapter 1 in Super Paper Mario. Its skies are full of strange, surreal mathematical formulas, such as (translated into literary form) "Fire Flower is greater than or equal to some kind of Block divided by Warp Pipe."

Lineland's Chapter 1-1 pays a homage to the original Super Mario Bros. with its level design, which resembled the classic Level 1-1 throught its positioning of Items, ? Blocks, and Enemies like Goombas. The music is also remixed from the Super Mario Bros. overworld theme and the Super Mario World overworld theme.

Lineland Road (Chapter 1-1: The Adventure Unfolds) is a grassy plain populated with many different species, though oddly enough most are not native to the dimension. It is also home to Bestovius, the wizard that teaches Mario how to flip.

In the first section, Mario meets a Goomba and a Squiglet. A door which is seemingly blocked off with Blocks appears, which Bestovius's house appears. A Save Block can be found outside his house. When Mario enters the house, he reaches an empty room. When Tippi notices that Mario is stuck, she gives a short tutorial on how to use her Tattle ability. The ability helps reveal a hidden door in the room, where Bestovius awaits.

Upon meeting Bestovius, Mario asks him if he can provide him with the Flip ability, which would enable Mario to flip between 2-D and 3-D. Bestovius is skeptical, claiming that Mario does not seem to be the real hero that the Light Prognosticus has predicted to appear. To ensure that Mario is the hero, he asks him to pay a fee of ten thousand Coins. If Mario declines the offer, Bestovius lowers the price to all the coins Mario currently have. Should Mario decline the offer yet another time, the ability does not cost anything at all.

Once Mario Leaves Bestovius's house, he can jump on top of the save block and onto the roof of Bestovius's house to find a Squiglet card.

Once granted the Flip, Mario is able to proceed through the seemingly blocked off door by flipping into 3-D. While there, he has to use the flip ability to pass a Warp Pipe. Koopa Troopas appear past the Warp Pipe. Mario can find and obtain the Catch Card for Goombas in this section. Mario is then faced with a gap that is too wide for him to leap over, which requires the [Flip] ability to traverse. After Mario crosses the gap, he encounters Sproing-Oings and Squigs.

Upon making it to the third section of the level, Mario encounters some high walls. He can chose between either jumping on the springboard or to flip into 3-D. If Mario chooses the latter, a group of Squiglets can be seen hiding behind the wall.

When he makes it to the final section, Mario is able to use the Mega Star. In this section, Paragoombas, and a Piranha Plants are encountered. The Star Block can then be found, which ends the chapter and begins the chapter on Mount Lineland. However, Mario may flip into 3-D at this point just before hitting the block, revealing a narrow pathway that will lead him to a chest with the Koopa Troopa Catch Card.

Mario and Luigi return here much later on in the game while chasing Dimentio through the seven worlds. This is the first area they chase him through.

(Lineland Road.)

(Access to a door previously blocked off.)

Mount Lineland (Chapter 1-2: Afoot in the Foothills) is a mountain that houses Yold Town, as well as Thoreau the Pixl.

And so Mario came to learn the stupendous ability of flipping between dimensions.
But there was no time to celebrate: Mario still had a Pure Heart to find.

The trail ahead was overrun with savage beasts.

"Follow me," Tippi said, as she flew toward the mountain that loomed ahead.

The Pure Heart was hidden somewhere on the other side.

After adventuring through Lineland Road, Mario and co. scale the mountain and eventually reach Yold Town, where they make it to the town's main square after a chat with Red. After Mario shows Old Man Watchitt Thoreau, his requirement to lift the bridge leading to Yold Desert, the old mayor calls up Green and orders him to let Mario through. Soon after that, the plumber crosses the bridge to the Yold Desert.

Mount. Lineland

Underground Thwomps.

Yold Desert (Chapter 1-3: The Sands of Yold) serves as the first encounter with O'Chunks and the entrance to Yold Ruins.

With a bold quiver of his magnificent mustache, Mario let loose a hearty sneeze.
A single grain of sand had flown along the warm wind and tickled the hero's nose.

It wasn't long before Mario and Tippi found the source of the sand: the Yold Desert.

Along the endless, sunbaked expanse, Mario and Tippi continued their search...

Yold Desert is an area in the outskirts of Lineland from Super Paper Mario. Throughout the desert, there are clues that the Ancients left on signposts on how to advance and reach Yold Ruins.

Following his trek through Yold Town, Mario advances along the desert until he meets O'Chunks, who was sent by Count Bleck to defeat the plumber. Mario eventually outpowers O'Chunks, who retreats after the battle. After some more trekking, the plumber comes upon a blue platform which requires the player to press the One Button and Minus Button buttons at the same time when Mario is on the platform. The entrance to the Yold Ruins is revealed after completing this task.

Yold Desert.

Yold Ruins (Chapter 1-4: Monster of the Ruins) is where Mario and his Pixls have to explore before meeting Fracktail and recieving the Pure Heart.

Somehow, Mario had found the strength to cross the desert's sweltering dunes.
Ahead was a sprawling complex of ruins rising out of the sand.

Thankful for the shade, Mario and Tippi ventured deeper inside.

They were the very ruins Old Man Watchitt had warned them about.

What dangers lurked in the shady corridors ahead?

Like the desert before them, the ruins are riddled with numerous quicksand pits, as well as Firebars and Spiky Tromps.

Mario reaches the ruins after his trek through the Yold Desert. They serve as the dungeon for Chapter 1, and house numerous puzzles that can only be solved by Flipping. The player must also use Thoreau on a select few occasions to grab out-of-reach objects and activate switches. At the ruins' end, Mario encounters Fracktail, the robotic guardian of the complex, who initially agrees to let him pass - however, he malfunctions due to Dimentio's interference. Mario is forced to defeat him before proceeding inside the sanctum of the ruins, where he is given a Pure Heart by Merlumina, one of the ancients who wrote the Light Prognosticus and lingered after death to await the hero.

The Ruins.

Fire Bars.

This blue switch reveals a big red switch.

A big red switch to dump a bunch of Spiky Tromps into a pit.

Fracktail.

Ending Text: Before disappearing, Merlumina had entrusted Mario to save every world.
She had waited 1,500 years to deliver the message to the legendary hero.

With the second Pure Heart at hand, Mario was in great spirits.

But six Pure Hearts still remained to be found, and the journey had just begun.

With a flutter, Tippi said, "I think we'd better return to Flipside..."

The weight of every world's fate once again rested on Mario's shoulders...

Meanwhile, O'Chunks reports back to Castle Bleck in shame, so the Count sends Mimi to deal with the hero, while Nastasia goes to look for any "goons" in the castle who still aren't under the Bleck's control.

Soon after, Peach (now in her usual pink dress) wakes up in Castle Bleck and joins two Koopas in search of an exit, but they are soon cornered by Nastasia, who brainwashes Bowser's minions. Peach, however, is teleported away before she can be hypnotized.

Far away, Mario returns to Flipside to bring the Pure Heart to Merlon, and the group learns from a panicking citizen that a girl has fallen from the sky. They then go to investigate, and discover that the girl is Peach, whom they revive with Spicy Soup. Feeling responsible for the opening of the Void, Peach insists on joining Mario in his quest and helps him reach the next Heart Pillar, and Merlon sends them through the new orange door to the next world; Gloam Valley.

Chapter 1 Interlude (Hints of story of the past between Tippi and Count Bleck. Pay attention to this part.):
Timpani: (I remember that day well... The room was warm. The whole place was at peace.)
Blumiere: Ugh... Uuugh...
Timpani: You're awake at last?
Blumiere: Where... am I? This this... a human's home? Bleccch!
Timpani: Don't wiggle like that. I found you at the cliff base. You took quite a fall.
Blumiere: You're a human, correct? I don't... repulse you? I am of the Tribe of Darkness...
Timpani: Why would that matter? Anyone with a heart would not ignore an injured soul!
(That was the day our paths crossed. That day... That was the day our tragedy was set in motion.)

The Light Prognosticus:

"The Light Prognosticus... The Ancients wrote it to fight the Dark Prognosticus... It tells what the hero can do to save the world...”
—Tippi, Super Paper Mario

The Light Prognosticus is a book of prophecies in Super Paper Mario. Written by either Merlumina or Merloo (both are stated to have written it in-game) and created to counteract the Dark Prognosticus, it tells the future in a more optimistic view. Its main role is to instruct how the universal destruction prophesied by its grim counterpart can be prevented but, as Merlon says, its main purpose was to counteract the Dark Prognosticus, and so it is not actually prophetic. In other words, it says what one can do but, unlike the Dark Prognosticus, it does not say what will happen.

The Light Prognosticus tells of a "legendary hero" who can stop The Void from engulfing all dimensions through the use of the Pure Hearts, and about the Heroes of Light. The book also tells of three other heroes who will aid in the legendary hero's quest to save creation. However, it also claims that the "man in green" will determine which Prognosticus states the truth.

The Light Prognosticus says that all worlds will be destroyed unless the one protected by the dark power is destroyed.

The Light Prognosticus is in Merlon's possession, who studies the book to find clues in order to clarify events. From his studies he determines that Mario is the person who fits the legendary hero's physical description.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
The Dark Prognosticus:

“Though the man in red shall wield formidable powers, one shall stand against him. The man in green shall use the Chaos Heart's power to bring darkness to all.”
—Count Bleck, Super Paper Mario

The Dark Prognosticus is a book of prophecies that appeared in Super Paper Mario. The author of the book and the source of his or her knowledge is never revealed in the game. At the beginning of this powerful object is a warning: anyone who has possessed the book has never found happiness.

Over the years, many have fought over the Dark Prognosticus. Garson states during his story on the book that entire countries fell in a war over possession of the book, though the fall of these countries were already predicted in the book itself.

Another one of Garson's stories states that the very first Pixl, who came to be known as the Pixl Queen, was created by a magician using knowledge obtained from the Dark Prognosticus. After defeating the Pixl Queen, the being took the Dark Prognosticus to prevent a second Pixl uprising from occurring.

At one time, the Tribe of Ancients possessed the Dark Prognosticus. However, several of the tribe's members became possessed by the book's great power. They stole it, ran away, and hid the book. Officially having broken off from the Tribe of Ancients, these members became known as the Tribe of Darkness. The tribe guarded the book for centuries afterward, until it Blumiere took it and became enchanted by the book's power, turning him into Count Bleck, the final owner. Bleck desires to use this book in hopes of "destroying all worlds," the book apparently stating that the marriage of two beings that fit Bowser and Peach's description would create the Chaos Heart, which would open The Void to destroy the worlds. However, the book also speaks of a hero that would rise up and attempt to stop the destruction of existence. The Light Prognosticus was also written to counter this book, telling the prophecy from a more optimistic view.

Carson's story on Dimentio implies that Dimentio himself may have written the book; supporting this is that Count Bleck did not originally want Dimentio as his minion until he found the description of a similar being within the Dark Prognosticus. The Dark Prognosticus also states Luigi (simply called the "man in green") is the perfect host for the Chaos Heart.

After the events of Super Paper Mario, the Dark Prognosticus "faded back into history."

Chapter 2: Gloam Valley
Gloam Valley is the setting of Chapter 2 in Super Paper Mario. The valley itself only appears in the first section of the chapter.

Chapter 2-1: Bogging to Merlee's

"With Princess Peach at his side, Mario set out once again, bound for adventure.
This time, our heroes were tasked with finding the mysterious charmer, Merlee.

If Merlon was right, then Merlee was the key to finding the next Pure Heart.

Never one to flinch from danger, Mario set out to find Merlee's mysterious mansion.

But little did he know, the evil works of dastardly Count Bleck awaited at every turn..."

Gloam Valley becomes accessible after finding the orange Heart Pillar in the Flipside Outskirts. The dimension introduces pools of water meant to impede the player's progress, with Princess Peach's parasol often being the only way to cross them and proceed. Later on in the chapter, the Pixl Boomer is found and joins Mario's team, and his explosive abilities are used to continue forward and reach Merlee's Mansion, the setting for the remainder of Chapter 2 and the resting place of the third Pure Heart.

Chapter 2-2: Tricks, Treats, Traps (Merlee's Mansion)

"On the far-side of a beast-ridden swamp, Mario and Co. found an imposing residence.
"This must be Merlee's Mansion!" squealed Princess Peach with glee.

If our friends could only find the Pure Heart quickly, their quest here would end.

But when has fate ever set Mario on such a simple path?

Brimming with anticipation, our plucky heroes plunged into Merlee's Mansion..."

In the twilit Gloam Valley, Mario and Peach discover Merlee's Mansion. When the duo reach the inside of the mansion, they meet a maid, Mimi, who constantly gives Mario or Peach wrong information when he/she asks for the whereabouts of Merlee. They eventually find a key to a door which allows them to exit the level and go deeper inside the mansion.

Chapter 2-3: Breaking the Bank

"Mario and friends kept up their search, delving ever deeper into the mansion.
Wherever they looked, though, they found no sign of Merlee.

Where was this mysterious woman?

"Ah, maybe...this way..." So said Tippi, trying to sense the Pure Heart's location...

With dread dangling like a broken chandelier, our heroes hurried through corridors...
"

As Mario and Peach delve deeper into Merlee's Mansion, they come upon a ? Block with a vase on it. They hit the block, but the vase falls off and breaks. Mimi rushes in and forces Mario and Peach to pay her 1,000,000 Rubees as a consequence for breaking the vase. They also discovers some other men who fell for the same trick and are now Mimi's prisoners. There is a normal generator room where workers should hit blocks repeatedly to earn Rubees, and another VIP room where workers can run in wheels to make volts to earn Rubees faster. The password to the VIP room is 5963. This password can be traded from a worker for 100 Rubees. Mario and Peach soon learn of a secret Rubee vault hidden away in the attic. With the help of a newly-acquired Pixl, Slim, Mario and Peach reach the vault which has 1,000,000 Rubees. These Rubees are held in a safe with the password 41262816. This password is heard from Mimi sleeptalking by a worker and can be traded for 10,000 Rubees. Eventually Mario/Peach pays off their debt to a shocked Mimi, who explodes out of anger. Mario and Peach now advance further into the mansion by entering Merlee's Basement, hoping to find Merlee.

(Mario being used for slave labor to pay off the debt he owes Mimi.)

Chapter 2-4: The Basement Face-Off

"The mysterious handmaid Mimi disappeared in a bizarre explosion...
What exactly was her plan, and why did she try to enslave Mario and friends?

After the incident, Princess Peach notice stairs going down. "Here we go!" she said.

"I wonder if Merlee is down here?" thought our heroes as they traded worried glances...

The two solemnly made their way down, knowing there was no other path to follow."

As Mario and co. go into Merlee's basement, Merlee contacts them via a magical projection. She tells them that she is hidden in the basement and warns them of potential danger. As Mario and Peach advance through the mansion, they meet Mimi disguised as Merlee wanting to bribe them so they have to work of 10,000,000 Rubees again. If Mario and Peach refuse every offer, Mimi will turn into her true form and start chasing them across the mansion. Mario and Peach eventually find Merlee hidden in a toilet, but Mimi appears and shape shifts into her. Mario and Peach then play a "That's My Merlee!" Show to pick out the fake Merlee, but no matter who they choose, Mimi gets furious and attacks them. A battle ensues, where Mario and Peach defeat Mimi and Merlee gladly gives them the Pure Heart.

(Mimi's True Form)

"Count Bleck's servant Mimi had laid a nasty trap for Mario and friends...
But with the help of Merlee, faithful defender of the Pure Heart, the day was won.

But who were the other two heroes mentioned by Merlee?

With five Pure Hearts yet to be found, Mario knew this adventure had only begun..."

Chapter 2 Interlude (Hints of story of the past between Tippi and Count Bleck. Pay attention to this part.):
Timpani: You're late. Did something happen?
Blumiere: Yes, my father caught me. Sneaking out of the castle wasn't easy after that.
Timpani: I was worried you wouldn't come...
Blumiere: You are a strange girl... You know what I am and yet you don't seem afraid.
Timpani: I don't care what you are. I just wanted to see you. Is that... Is that so wrong?
Blumiere: No. No, of course not. I wanted to see you, too.
Timpani: Blumiere... Do you mind if I sit next to you?
Blumiere: Please do, Timpani. Let's return to our conversation. I must know more of you...

Interlude: With Mimi defeated, Count Bleck decides to send Dimentio to go after the hero of prophecy, while Nastasia resumes her hunt for non-hypnotized stragglers around the castle.

Meanwhile, Luigi wakes up and is manipulated by two Goombas into helping them find a way out, but they run into Nastasia. One of the Goombas is hypnotized and the other Goomba joins Nastasia's side, and they restrain Luigi so that Nastasia can brainwash him as well.

The Void grows over Flipside when Mario, Peach, and their Pixl friends return. After finding the third Heart Pillar, a yellow door to The Bitlands appears on the tower.

Chapter 3: The Bitlands

Upon the heroes' arrival in the pixelated Bitlands, Tippi is kidnapped by the geeky, butterfly-collecting chameleon, Francis. Another Pixl named Barry witnessed the scene from behind a bush and tells the heroes how to reach Fort Francis. After passing through an underground area just like level 1-2 in Super Mario Bros., Mario and Peach come across some castles occupied by Koopas, Hammer Bros., Bullet Bills and Bowser himself, who proceeds to lose a one-on-one fight with Mario. Bowser explains that he was locked up in Bleck's Castle and doesn't know how he appeared in the Bitlands, and with some persuasion, agrees to join Peach and Mario on their journey. The three swim across the Tile Pool, where they meet a new Pixl, Thudley, and use him to defeat a monstrous Big Blooper. Beyond the pool, the heroes climb The Dotwood Tree in order to use the winds at the top to float over a gorge and reach Fort Francis. Along the way, they battle Dimentio, who brushes off his defeat as a mere amusement, and was in fact using it to gauge the heroes' strength in order to ensure they can defeat Count Bleck when the time comes. Unaware of Dimentio's plotting, Mario, Peach and Bowser continue on to Fort Francis, where they find another trapped Pixl named Carrie and navigate their way through a sea of puzzles, Meowmaid robots and nerdy memorabilia to get to Francis, who immediately develops a crush on Peach and attempts to flirt with her using an electronic chat interface Swoon.exe. She rebuffs him and he is defeated in battle, and the surge of trust and happiness from the newly-freed Tippi calls forth the next Pure Heart from the castle itself, which Merlon later explains used to belong to the Tribe of Ancients.

Back at Castle Bleck, Dimentio muses that the heroes might be able to defy the prophecy, but Bleck is confident in his plan and calls for an unnamed new minion to take care of his foes. Nastasia lingers after the other minions leave and tries to get Bleck to reconsider, but while he won't give up after coming as far as he has, he kindly gives her a chance to leave with his blessing, which she declines out of loyalty and love for Bleck. Unbeknownst to both of them, Dimentio eavesdropped on the entire exchange, but decides not to worry about it, since he has his own "projects" to attend to.

When the heroes return to Flipside, Merlon explains about the castle and decides that Bowser is the third hero of the prophecy. After returning to the Bitlands to collect Barry, who's impressed that they managed to save Tippi, the heroes open a new green door and continue on their quest. Barry is the first optional Pixl.

Chapter 3 Interlude (Hints of story of the past between Tippi and Count Bleck. Pay attention to this part.):
Blumiere: Timpani, why? Why do you avoid me?
Timpani: Ow... OW! Unhand me!
Blumiere: Huh? You're crying! Why? Timpani, you must tell me what has happened!
Timpani: It's nothing... Don't worry about it... Just forget it...
Blumiere: Oh no... Timpani, is my father behind this?
Timpani: I'm... I'm just an ordinary girl. No matter how much I love you, we must part.
Blumiere: Timpani... I...
Timpani: This is good-bye, Blumiere. There's no other choice. This is our fate...

Chapter 4: Outer Space
The realm beyond the green door turns out to be Outer Space, and the heroes are forced to return immediately to Flipside and procure a Goldfish Bowl to use as a helmet in order to breathe in space. They soon meet an alien named Squirps who serves them as both a guide and a living ray gun for attacking enemies. They made a pit stop on Planet Blobule so that Squirps could go to the bathroom, but the outhouse is occupied by the Pixl Fleep, who doesn't exit until the heroes find him some makeshift toilet paper. He then joins them and they all proceed through the Outer Limits to the warped, maze-like Whoa Zone. Here they are confronted by another one of Bleck's minions, Mr. L, who they think they know. They defeat him, and defeat him again in space using Squirps' lasers when he summons his massive Brobot robot for a rematch. Squirps then brings the gang to the Pure Heart and a statue of his mother, where he remains behind as they return to Flipside.

Back at Castle Bleck, Nastasia introduces Mr. L to the other minions and after he leaves, Bleck identifies him as the "man in green" that is destined to bring destruction to all, although the other minions are unenthusiastic about the newcomer. After they leave too, Nastasia voices her concerns that the heroes will come for Bleck and once again appeals to him to call off the plan. She reasons that he used to cherish the world and muses that if she had been "that girl", things would be different, but Bleck says the girl couldn't be replaced, especially by Nastasia, and leaves.

Upon returning to Flipside, Tippi faints and is left at Merlon's as the group finds their way across a three-dimensional bridge to Flopside, the mirror counterpart to Flipside. They find the next Heart Pillar and meet Merlon's counterpart, Nolrem, before returning to Flipside, collecting Tippi, and entering the next world.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Chapter 4 Interlude (Hints of story of the past between Tippi and Count Bleck. Pay attention to this part.):
Timpani: What... What are you thinking? There's no possible way... No one would allow it!
Blumiere: If we can't be happy here, we must leave for a place that will accept our love.
Timpani: But, Blumiere, is there such a place? Think... I can't bear to see you hurt again.
Blumiere: If our love has no home... let us spend our lives searching together! So I beg of you again... Timpani, marry me! I promise I will make you happy.
Timpani: You... just won't give up, will you? Of all the crazy... stubborn... foolish men...
Blumiere: Timapni, answer me, please!
Timpani:
Blumiere, I love you. Take me away. Take me to a world where we can be happy.

Chapter 5: Land of the Cragnons:
he heroes drop into Downtown of Crag and are tasked with saving Cragnon citizens who had been kidnapped by Floro Sapiens. They fight O'Chunks again, but even with Dimentio's help, he is defeated. The heroes then collect another Pixl, Cudge, and enter the Floro Caverns, where they meet up with the famous Cragnon journalist, Flint Cragley and his crew, and discover that the Floro Sapiens had been using Floro Sprouts to brainwash their captured Cragnons into doing manual labour for them. They meet yet another Pixl, Dottie, and fight O'Chunks once again, although this time he has been dumbed-down and powered-up by Dimentio through the use of a Floro Sprout. Upon O'Chunks' defeat, the Floro Sprout falls off dead, and the heroes use it to trick the Floro Sapiens into letting them gain access to their leader, King Croacus IV. They battle and defeat him too, and only then learn that pollution caused by the Cragnons had driven him mad and led to the kidnappings. Flint Cragley vows to spread the word and make his fellow Cragnons curtail their pollution in a first step towards peace between the two nations, and the three heroes are given the Pure Heart that had been in King Croacus's possession.

Back at Castle Bleck, Nastasia punishes O'Chunks for his repeated failures while Mimi complains about being bored and Mr. L picks fights with the others. Dimentio appears and quietly coaxes Mimi and Mr. L to attack the heroes, and they steal away from the castle.

Meanwhile, the heroes uses their two new Pixls to unlock the next door to the next world, Sammer's Kingdom, and are informed by Nolrem that the Void will destroy all soon.

Chapter 5 Interlude (Hints of story of the past between Tippi and Count Bleck. Pay attention to this part.):
Blumiere: Look, Timpani. The stars are beautiful, aren't they?
Timpani: There's a tradition in my village. We believe that wishes on stars come true.
Blumiere: Oh, is that so? In that case, we'd better get wishing, don't you think?
Timpani: I don't need to wish anymore.
Blumiere: Mmm?
Timpani: I already have everything I need right here.
Blumiere: Timpani... Aren't you cold?
Timpani: Not at all. I'm very warm... Can we stay like this? Just a little longer?

Chapter 6: Sammer's Kingdom
In the Sammer's Kingdom, the Void is almost at full size. After defeating the first Sammer Guy, King Sammer arrives with 99 more combatants and explains that the heroes have to defeat all of them to get the next Pure Heart, as per the laws of the land. After the heroes defeat twenty Sammer Guys, Count Bleck himself appears to inform them that Sammer's Kingdom is about to be destroyed, but when Tippi confronts him, he beats a hasty withdrawal. The next five Sammer Guys recognize the direness of the situation and let the heroes pass for free, at which point the King returns and appears to present them with the Pure Heart, but it is just a bomb in a treasure chest, and the King turns out to be Mimi in disguise. She fights them with a barrage of rubees and is defeated, but she had only intended to stall the heroes. They hurry, but are unable to get farther than the 30th gate before the world is demolished and they are forced to flee back to Flipside. The door to the Sammer Kingdom remains so they go through, but all they find is an endless expanse of whiteness, and a deadened Pure Heart, now turned to stone. Mr. L appears with Brobot L-type to try to stop the heroes from getting the dead Pure Heart, but loses the fight and the Heart.

After Mario, Peach and Bowser leave with the stone-like Pure Heart, Dimentio shows up and appears to destroy Mr. L.

Meanwhile, at Castle Bleck, Nastasia reports to Bleck about Mimi and Mr. L's disobedient hero-fighting and leaves Bleck to his ponderings about whether Tippi the Pixl was really Timpani, although he pushes the thought aside and reaffirms to himself that no one can stop the prophecy now anyway.

Back at Flipside, the heroes are despondent over the now-useless Pure Heart, when Dimentio shows up at Merlon's house and before anyone can stop him, he appears to destroy Mario, Peach and Bowser just as he had dispatched Mr. L. Mario wakes up to find himself alone in The Underwhere, the video-game Underworld. He wanders around the area, breezily meeting Luvbi before finding his way to her mother, Queen Jaydes, the queen of the underworld. She tasks him with collecting Luvbi for her, and in return, she agrees to revive the Pure Heart. Along the way back to Luvbi, Mario tracks down Luigi, who can't remember how he was sent to The Underwhere at all. After Luvbi is back with her mom and the Pure Heart is restored, Jaydes revives Mario and Luigi, sending them back to Flipside, where they meet up with Tippi again and open the next door.

Chapter 6 Interlude (Hints of story of the past between Tippi and Count Bleck. Pay attention to this part.):
Blumiere: Timpani! What did you do with her? I must see her!
Blumiere's Father: Still your tongue, Blumiere... Can't you see you've been duped by a dirty human? You have brought shame to my name... and to the entire Tribe of Darkness!
Blumiere: And so what if I did? That doesn't matter to me! She's my entire world!
Father: Well, then it will interest you to know... that she no longer resides in this world.
Blumiere: What... What do you mean by that?!
Father: This is the price those who resist their own fate must pay, my son.
Blumiere: She... No... It can't be so!
Father: Someday you will see, Son. Our kind and humans must never mix.

Chapter 7 (World 7): The Underwhere
The door takes them right back to The Underwhere, where Jaydes gives them a new task of escorting Luvbi to The Overthere, where Luvbi's father Grambi lives. They make their way past Underwhere Road, where they find Bowser, get past three Door Guardians (Dorguys the First, Second, and Third), and fight the three-headed Underchomp. They then ascend the Overthere Stair, finding Peach en-route, once more in need of revival, although this time it is because she took bite of a forbidden Golden Apple, and must eat another apple to recover. When they reach The Overthere, they find it already overrun with evil Skellobits, while their leader, Bonechill, had already frozen Grambi as part if his bid to take over The Overthere. He reveals that Luvbi is the final Pure Heart, having been given Nimbi form by Grambi, and intends to use her for his evil purposes, but the four heroes defeat him and his skeleton army falls to the Nimbis. After a fierce argument with her parents and a final, tearful goodbye, Luvbi transforms back to her Pure Heart form and is taken back to Flipside by Mario and the gang.

Back at Castle Bleck, Dimentio lets the others know that the heroes are alive and the other minions scramble to get ready to fight them when they come to the castle. Before Dimentio leaves, he then asks Bleck if the name "Blumiere" rings a bell, saying Mario's Pixl mentioned the name. Nastasia once more tries to get Bleck to call off the prophecy, calling him Blumiere, but he denies his old name and identity and refuses to back down.

Chapter 7 Interlude (Hints of story of the past between Tippi and Count Bleck. Pay attention to this part.):

Blumiere's Father: Blumiere, my son, don't! Even your ancestors could not handle that dark book... If you open it, there's not telling what might happen!
Blumiere: I do not care, Father! A world without her is empty. A LIFE without her is empty. Speak, Dark Prognosticus! Teach your dark history. I await your command! BLEH HEH HEH! BLECK!
Father: Blumiere... What have you done?
Blumiere: Silence! The first prophecy beckons. I will erase every inch... of this blasted world!
Father: Blu-Blumiere! Don't do this! Blumiere!
Bleck: Blumiere is no more! I am Count Bleck! And no one shall stand in my way! BLEH HEH HEH! BLECK!

Chapter 8: Castle Bleck
After the heroes insert the final Pure Heart into the final Heart Pillar, the final door to Castle Bleck appears on Flopside Tower and Merlon and Nolrem see them off. The castle is large and filled with enemies, and the heroes are soon confronted by O'Chunks, whom Bowser battles and defeats on his own. After the fight, the roof collapses, but O'Chunks catches it and holds it aloft to let his worthy opponents pass. Bowser also stays behind, and after Mario, Luigi and Peach exit the room, they hear a crash and find that the door won't open up again. Now one hero short, they carry on and are confronted by Mimi in the disguises of Merlon and Merlee, trying in vain to pry information on their weaknesses from them. She and Peach get in an argument and fight, with Mimi once more taking her "true" spider form, but still being defeated. The heroes turn to go, but Peach lingers to try and talk Mimi into leaving too; the floor then crumbles beneath the girl but Peach dives forward and tries to save her, only to fall in herself.

Mario, Luigi and Tippi carry on, coming up against Dimentio, who forces them to chase him through portals to the various other worlds, before ending up back in the castle. Dimentio then tells them that he had actually been helping them all along, such as by saving Peach from Nastasia and by sending everyone to The Underwhere to undo Luigi's brainwashing and get the Pure Heart fixed. He explains that he wanted the four heroes to unite and defeat Bleck, claiming that the Count had no intention of creating a new world once the old one was destroyed, but that he didn't have enough strength to stop him on his own. Tippi warns Mario and Luigi not to accept Dimentio's offer of an alliance, and when rejected, he proceeds to goad Luigi into a one-on-one fight. (If the player chooses to ally, then Dimentio plants Floro Sprouts on Mario and Luigi's heads, causing a Game Over.) Mario, Tippi and the Pixls go on ahead while Luigi remains behind and defeats Dimentio, who responds by trapping them both in a force field in order to destroy himself and Luigi, rather than letting Bleck get his hands on the "man in green" from the prophecy.

Mario and Tippi hear the blast and fear the worst, but know they have no choice but to continue to the castle's inner sanctum, where they are greeted by Bleck and Nastasia. Tippi and Bleck acknowledge each other as the star-crossed lovers Timpani and Blumiere, but Bleck still holds fast to his plan to destroy all the worlds and Tippi knows she and Mario have no choice but to defeat him. Bleck sends Nastasia away and Mario tries to fight him, but Bleck is completely shielded by the Chaos Heart. Fortunately, Bowser (who fell through the floor before the ceiling collapsed), Peach (who landed on Bowser), and Luigi (who was simply found unconscious by Peach and can't remember what happened) arrive to help Mario, with the uniting of the four heroes shattering Bleck's shield and leading to his defeat in the subsequent battle. As Bleck pleads for death and Tippi pleads for Bleck to live, Dimentio emerges and tries to finish off the Count, but Nastasia dives in front of the blast to shield him.

Knowing it doesn't really matter if the Count's alive or dead, Dimentio simply takes control of the Chaos Heart himself, thanking the heroes for using their Pure Hearts to defeat Bleck and pave the way for his own evil plan. He activates a Floro Sprout he had implanted in Luigi's head earlier and turns him back into Mr. L, before fusing him and the Chaos Heart together into the monstrous Super Dimentio. After sending Bleck, Tippi and Nastasia away to deal with later, he adds himself to Super Dimentio and attacks the remaining heroes, who are unable to damage their new foe. All hope seems lost until O'Chunks and Mimi rejoin Bleck and help Tippi convince him to not give up, with the love and hope shared between them all conjuring up a new set of Pure Hearts, which Tippi brings to the heroes. Breaking through Super Dimentio's defenses, they defeat the enemy, but while Luigi is released unharmed, Dimentio leaves a portion of his power behind to continue controlling the Chaos Heart fuelling the Void. Bleck quickly brings the group to the alter from the start of the story and he and Tippi renew their vows of love and commitment to each other, creating another set of Pure Hearts which cancel out the Chaos Heart, make the Void disappear and restore all the destruction it had caused.

The four heroes and Bleck's minions, including Nastasia, all awaken on Flipside Tower and are greeted by Merlon, who tells them the world is saved and invites them to a celebratory dinner. They wonder what happened to Bleck and Tippi, but believe them to be alive, and at the end of the credits, two distant figures, implied to be Timpani and Blumiere, are seen on top of a tranquil grassy hill.

Super Dimentio, the final battle.

Tippi and Blumiere?

Why I Love This Game:
This game was hailed to be one of the darkest Mario games ever. Count Bleck is so far the only villain in the entire Mario universe to have lusted for the destruction of the world because of love. He had lost his loved ones by this father and went forth to transform himself into Count Bleck. None in this world mattered to him and he would rip apart all the worlds and even himself because he had lost the true meaning of life. Back then, my girlfriend and I loved this game. After we finished this game, she was crying because of the sacrifice. We went into the conversation of what would happen if we were in the shoes of Count Bleck? If I had lost her, how would I react? How would she react? We both agreed that life would be shrouded in total darkness if this happened to either of us and we vowed that we wouldn't leave each other. But, she did. She left me and this left a big wound on my chest that is still bleeding. That is when I fell into severe depression. This world itself held no more joy and I wanted to destroy everything. Now, a pathetic mortal like me can't do anything much and I would never kill, but the thoughts were too strong. I know she is waiting for me out there and even I want to depart this world early, I know I can't, because my parents and friends would never forgive me. I don't have much friends, but the ones I have right now, understand me and we are like glue. They have helped me through tough times and right now, they only know about the death of my beloved. This game will forever be in my heart because I can sympathize with the Count. This game will always be my favorite and I will miss her sorely with all my heart.

Rest in peace Alexandria, you changed my life and I will forever be grateful. I don't think I will be able to move on......
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Randaran

Nice! I'm glad we agree! And why is Melty Monster your least favorite? And yeah, The Perfect Run is a pain in the.... :)

It's not my least favorite, but was the most disappointing. I love lava levels, and the original Melty Molten is one of my favorite stages in the first game. Melty Monster abandoned its theme after its excellent first star. The second was still good, but it belonged in a different galaxy. I was annoyed that Galaxy 2 only had 1 lava themed star in the entire game, especially since many other Mario games have great ones.

Overall, nice list! I liked seeing a list where I've played over half of its entries.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Heh, thank you.  :heart
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I preferred ttyd tbh but this one was good too

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Wait, did you manage to make a Mario-centric top 25 video games list and leave out Super Mario World  :'(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Ah, yeah.  :blush

Besides 64, I love the Mario games in this era.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Wait, did you manage to make a Mario-centric top 25 video games list and leave out Super Mario World  :'(

Though a very good game, I'm completely fine with any omissions of it since people seem to have retconned it as being far superior to SMB3 and that could not be any more of an inaccurate representation of how people viewed these two games comparatively before the 2000s. It seems like Kaizo Mario and all of its immitators have contributed to SMW getting an unrealistic bump in popularity compared to SMB3. SM Maker has certainly only furthered this kind of thing.

I'm not of the mindset of thinking either one is noticeably greater than the other but I do personally prefer SMB3 by a wide margin for my tastes.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:28:02 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
but uhh yeah I'm good to run one of these if we're waiting on someone to start

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Sure thing :tup I'll update the OP in the next few days. You don't have to wait for that though. Start whenever you wish.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon