Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists v2.0: Cable's NES Nostalgia 15 & 2 (starts pg32)  (Read 84088 times)

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
Hell yes! Literally the only thing I don't like about Galaxy is how it makes you play essentially the same game twice to get 100%. The differences in how Mario and Luigi handle aren't large enough to make the experience novel.

The top, let's say, 10% of Galaxy 1 (for me, the Freezeflame, Toy Time, and Melty Molten galaxies) easily beats out anything from Galaxy 2. However, the typical Galaxy 2 stage is stronger. I honestly cannot decide which one I like better.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
:tup :tup

I thought Galaxy 2 had the stronger galaxies. Though, Toy Time is great and Freezeflame is godly. The only galaxy I didn't like was Shiverburn....in Galaxy 2.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
hi bump

I should work on my list tbh

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Sorry about this everyone. Will post soon.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Cable

Sorry about this everyone. Will post soon.

No need to apologize, your write ups are the most unique out of all the writers IMO. And they are worth the wait!  ;)
---

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Thanks CableX. :) :D
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 12: Paper Mario 64
[/size]

Due to the delay's, this one will be a tad quick. Next one shall be up tomorrow for sure.

The gameplay of Paper Mario draws many parallels to the typical style of Japanese role-playing games, but also includes Mario-esque features, such as the ability to jump. The player controls Mario through a number of locations, explores dungeons, manages stats, and battles enemies. The game derives its title from its arts and crafts aesthetic; The game environments are three-dimensional while nearly every character in the game is drawn as a flat 2D sprite, as if cut out from paper.

Paper Mario tells the story of the Star Rod, a magical staff the Stars of Star Haven use to grant the wishes of the denizens of Mario's world. Over the course of the game, the Star Rod is stolen by Bowser who, after lifting Princess Peach's Castle into the sky, uses the staff's wish-granting powers to make himself invincible.

Being unable to defeat Bowser the conventional way, Mario must travel the Mushroom Kingdom and rescue the seven Star Spirits, who are the only ones able to counter the Star Rod's power and make Bowser vulnerable again. Along the way he is helped by several characters in various ways, by becoming his partners or supporting him otherwise. All the while Bowser attempts to intervene wherever he can, by empowering his minions with the Star Rod.

In the end, Mario and his friends face Bowser atop the Princess' castle and defeat him. The Star Rod is brought back to Star Haven and the castle returns safely to where it was.

The reason I love this game very much is because it is an RPG game! I love turn based games as it is one of my favorites. The music here also is not too shabby and provides a lot of exploration.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never played paper Mario but I've always loved the looks of the game.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
This is the only Paper Mario game I've played, and I quite enjoyed it. Not as much as the straight up platformers, but still nice for a bit of a change. I'm not an RPG fan by any stretch, but those elements were done in a simple and accessible way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I liked this one a lot too.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
:tup
Number 11: Luigi's Mansion
[/size]

Here is Luigi's Mansion. I used to watch Youtuber's play Nintendo games and when I saw Chuggaconroy play this game. I saw him play it for the first ten minutes and instantly, I knew that I had to grab a hold of this game. Thankfully, I was able to download it from the Wii shop and there began my adventure with Luigi's Mansion.

What is Luigi's Mansion?
Luigi's Mansion is a launch title for the Nintendo GameCube, released in September 2001. It marks the second time where Luigi is the main character, with Mario playing a supporting role, the first being Mario is Missing!, and introduces Professor E. Gadd & King Boo. A sequel, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, was released for the Nintendo 3DS in 2013.

Background

One day, Luigi received an unexpected message: You've won a huge mansion! Naturally, He got very excited and called his brother, Mario. "Mario? It's me, Luigi. I won myself a big mansion! Meet me there and we'll celebrate, what do you say?"

Luigi tried to follow the map to his new mansion, but the night was dark, and he became hopelessly lost in an eerie forest along the way. Finally, he came upon a gloomy mansion on the edge of the woods. According to the map, this mansion seemed to be the one Luigi was looking for. As soon as Luigi set foot in the mansion, he started to feel nervous. Mario, who should have arrived first, was nowhere to be seen. Not only that, but there were ghosts in the mansion!

Suddenly, a ghost lunged at Luigi! "Mario! Help meee!" That's when a strange old man with a vacuum cleaner on his back appeared out of nowhere! This strange fellow managed to rescue Luigi from the ghosts, then the two of them escaped...

It just so happened that the old man, Professor Elvin Gadd, who lived near the house, was researching his favorite subject, ghosts. Luigi told Professor E. Gadd that his brother Mario was missing, so the Professor decided to give Luigi two inventions that would help him search for his brother.

Luigi's not exactly known for his bravery. Can he get rid of all the prank-loving ghosts and find Mario?

Storyline:

Luigi, having won a mansion in a contest he did not participate, enters Boo Woods and locates it. He enters the mansion and is soon attacked by a ghost, but Professor E. Gadd appears and fights off the ghosts with a vacuum. He tells Luigi that the mansion is an illusion that has appeared out of thin air, where Mario has been captured by King Boo and his minions. He gives Luigi the Poltergust 3000 to vacuum up ghosts and the Game Boy Horror to communicate with E. Gadd, scan objects and see a map of the mansion.

Luigi enters the mansion, sucking up ghosts and finding keys, while meeting Toad along the way, until he encounters a portrait ghost, Neville. He defeats him, sucking him into the Poltergust 3000. He does the same to Lydia, Neville's wife, and fights their baby, Chauncey, who sucks Luigi into his crib and fights him as a giant ghost, but is defeated and sucked into the Poltergust 3000. With his ghost-hunting vacuum filling rapidly, Luigi returns to E. Gadd's lab and empties it, turning Neville, Lydia and Chauncey back into portraits.

Luigi enters Area 2, another area through a previously blocked door and fights more ghosts. After defeating the Floating Whirlindas, he enters the Storage Room and hits a switch, which opens a trapdoor where 50 Boos and their leader, King Boo, are hiding. All of them escape, flying into different rooms of the mansion. Luigi returns to E. Gadd's lab and E. Gadd tells him that the Boos were the ones who released the portrait ghosts - Luigi must capture the Boos to weaken their power, as they are stronger in greater numbers. So Luigi goes through the many rooms of the mansion, vacuuming up any Boos he sees. He also meets Madame Clairvoya, a fortune teller ghost, who tells him to bring her any of Mario's items he finds lying around in the mansion so she can get details on his whereabouts. The items are: Mario's hat, Mario's glove, Mario's shoe, Mario's letter and Mario's star. After sucking up Shivers the butler, Melody Pianissima, Mr. Luggs and Spooky the dog, Luigi enters the Cemetery and fights the shadowy ghost, Bogmire. He defeats him and sucks him into the Poltergust, which he then empties at E. Gadd's lab to turn all the Portrait Ghosts into portraits.

Luigi enters a third area into the courtyard. Down the well, he sees into King Boo's altar and discovers that King Boo has imprisoned Mario in a portrait. He goes through new rooms of the mansion, finding Mario's items and vacuuming up ghosts, including portrait ghosts Biff Atlas, Miss Petunia, Nana, Slim Bankshot and twins Henry and Orville. After Luigi brings Madame Clairvoya enough of Mario's items, she tells him that she sees Bowser in a vision, which is shocking because Mario defeated Bowser and she suspects that King Boo revived him. With her job done, she tells Luigi to suck her into the Poltergust so she can return peacefully to her portrait. After he does so and defeats enough Boos, he enters the balcony and fights Boolossus, a big Boo made up of fifteen individual Boos. He throws him into a spiky statue to split him into his individual Boos and sucks them all into the Poltergust. He then empties the Poltergust at E. Gadd's lab to turn all the portrait ghosts, including Boolossus, into portraits.

When Luigi enters Area 4 in the attic, the mansion is suddenly struck by lightning, creating a blackout throughout the mansion. He then goes to the breaker room to turn the power back on, but finds it locked. Luigi looks for the key and soon encounters a ghost named Uncle Grimmly and defeats him to get the key. After he turns the power back on, he catches more Boos and portrait ghosts, including the Clockwork Soldiers, Sue Pea, Jarvis and Sir Weston, before entering the room of Vincent Van Gore, one of the most prominent portrait ghosts who is painting regular ghosts. He sends several waves of ghosts after Luigi, but Luigi defeats them all, causing Van Gore to go into a state of depression and Luigi sucks him into the Poltergust without much resistance. He then goes to the Secret Altar down a creepy hallway in the basement and encounters King Boo, who reveals that he was the one who told Luigi that he won the mansion in a contest and set it up as revenge for all the trouble they caused him (though they may not have met him before, they have been fighting against Boos for years, plus King Boo works for Bowser). King Boo goes into Mario's portrait (which turns into a Bowser portrait) and sucks Luigi into it. In an arena resembling the roof of the mansion with fire for a background, Luigi fights Bowser (as Madame Clairvoya had seen), but when he hits him in the head with a bomb, the true opponent is revealed to be King Boo. Luigi defeats King Boo while avoiding Bowser's head and sucks him into the Poltergust.

Luigi returns to the lab and turns all the portrait ghosts, including King Boo, into portraits again. E. Gadd then reverses the Portrificationizer to release Mario from his portrait. After Mario goes through a reverse-procedure of all the portrait-ghosts captured, he rockets out of the machine, colliding with Luigi, but otherwise alright. Luigi laughs and cries with happiness that his brother is safe. Since King Boo has been defeated his illusion of a mansion fades away, though the money and jewels Luigi collected in the mansion were real and with it he gets a new mansion or house. But if Luigi gets H rank, he ends up with only a tent.

Why I Love This Game:

1. Atmosphere: The atmosphere here is quite spooky. Although this game has a few light moments, most of them will keep you on your toes and I think it's pretty dark for a Mario/Luigi game. Though, Super Paper Mario takes the cake with the darkest atmosphere.

2. Difficulty: Not too easy and not too hard. Keeps you on your toes, but doesn't take days and days and guides to complete. Perfect balance, really.

(The Poltergust 3000)

(Boss Ghosts)

(Depressed Luigi)
In the beta version of the game, if Luigi had failed to save Mario within the given time limit, Luigi would fall into depression and commit suicide, becoming a ghost and forever wandering the house.

(Head hunter ghost in beta)
In the beta version of the game, a hunter was suggested for a boss. The hunter would threaten to cut Luigi's head off and add it to his collection. This idea was quickly scrapped.

(Luigi's hanging shadow?)
Many people claim that they can see Luigi's shadow being hung.....
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never played it but it looks really good. I really wish I got a gamecube at some point.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I really wish I got a gamecube at some point.

You didn't miss out on much, IMO. Metroid Prime and Wind Waker are the only real stand-out titles I remember playing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Really? For some reason I thought there were a lot more titles for gamecube?

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
I liked Super Mario Sunshine, but that is a hit or miss for quite a lot of people.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
the gamecube has some good games but the PS2 absolutely dominated that console generation as far as game library goes

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Really? For some reason I thought there were a lot more titles for gamecube?
There was, I always thought the GameCube was somewhat underrated as a console. Except for the already mentioned, you have Mario Kart Double Dash, Paper Mario, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Star Wars Rouge Squadron II, updated versions of the Sonic Adventure games, and more. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 10: Super Mario 64

Ah, here it is. The very first Mario game I was introduced to when I was young. Nostalgia always floods me whenever I play this game. This game introduced me to Mario and this game is the only reason why I was able to always play Mario with a smile.

What is Super Mario 64 (Really?!  :tdwn)
Super Mario 64 is a 3D action-adventure platformer game released for the Nintendo 64 in 1996. This game was one of two (three in Japan) launch titles for the Nintendo 64, along with Pilotwings 64, which helped drive initial sales of the console. To this day, it has sold nearly over 11 million copies, and is marked as the best selling Nintendo 64 game of all time. It is also the second most popular game on the Wii's Virtual Console, after Super Mario Bros.

Being the first 3D Mario game, Super Mario 64 has introduced many moves that would be used in almost every later Super Mario title: Triple Jumping, Ground Pounding, Long Jumping, Crouching, and Somersaults. Punching and kicking were also introduced, but would not be used in any later main title (besides its DS remake).

Though not the first 3D platforming game, Super Mario 64 codified many of the controls and designs conventions of the genre. It is widely acclaimed as one of the greatest and most important games of all time.

In 2004, a remake of Super Mario 64 was released for the Nintendo DS entitled Super Mario 64 DS. The remake had various differences from the original game such as Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario becoming playable characters. There was also a sequel called Super Mario 64 2 planned for the Nintendo 64DD, but it was cancelled due to the 64DD's commercial failure. The game was rereleased digitally on the Wii U's Virtual Console service on April 1st 2015, making it and Donkey Kong 64 the first two Nintendo 64 games to be released on the service.

Storyline:
Princess Toadstool (or "Peach", as she is called for the second time in the western world since Yoshi's Safari introduced it) sent a letter to Mario to come and have some cake with her in the castle. When Mario arrives, he finds one of the Lakitu Bros. who follows him around holding a camera and filming him. Together, they go inside and hear a familiar voice telling them to get out of the castle, actually being Bowser. Toad informs them that Bowser has kidnapped Peach again and is holding everyone hostage inside the castle walls. He has also stolen the 120 Power Stars and given them to his minions who are hiding in the paintings that are accessible from inside the castle. Mario must jump into each painting scattered around the castle in order to retrieve the power stars.

Toad informs Mario about a Bob-omb field where King Bob-omb must be faced. The first of many power stars can be found here. By obtaining more Power Stars, Mario unlocks doors to three more paintings in the castle including the Whomp's Fortress, Jolly Roger Bay, Cool, Cool Mountain, and the ability to collect more stars.

When Mario collects eight Power Stars, he can open the Star Door at the left side of the castle. He then falls through the floor in the room and enters the first Bowser Course, Bowser in the Dark World. After traveling through the course, he enters a warp pipe, which leads him to Bowser. After evading Bowser's attacks and grabbing his tail, Mario throws him into a bomb on the edge of the stage defeating him. Unfortunately, it turns out that Bowser doesn't have Peach with him. Instead, he floats into the air and disappears, leaving a key for Mario to collect. Mario then obtains the key that allows him to enter the basement of the castle. The basement contains four levels, which are Lethal Lava Land, Shifting Sand Land, Hazy Maze Cave, and Dire, Dire Docks. After collecting 30 stars, Mario is granted with the ability to open another star door in the basement. The Star Door leads to a room with the entrance to Dire, Dire Docks and the second Bowser course, Bowser in the Fire Sea. After navigating through the course, Mario jumps into another battle with Bowser. This battle can be more challenging than the last one, since Bowser can now teleport and tilt the stage. Also, the distance between the arena platform and the bombs has increased. When Mario defeats Bowser for the second time, Mario gains a key to the second floor leading to even more paintings. After Mario collects his 50th Power Star, he can go up to the third floor, and once Mario collects 70 Power Stars, he can access the door into Bowser's final stage, Bowser in the Sky, and go through another one of his obstacle courses. After he finds the warp pipe at the end of the course, Mario finds Bowser waiting for him. The two then begin to engage in battle. This time, Bowser has to be blown up by a bomb three times. When Bowser gets blown up twice, certain parts of the arena fall away, leaving the platform in a shape of giant star. Bowser ends up defeated, and is surprised when Mario tells him there were some Power Stars he missed; the Castle's Secret Stars. Bowser gives up, and then hands Mario the final Grand Power Star before he disappears. When Mario grabs the last power star, wings appear on his cap, allowing him to fly. He circles the star-shaped arena, and flies away. Eventually, he lands in front of the castle.

As his wings fade away, Mario uses the power of the Giant Power Star to save Peach and take her back at the front of the castle. The star goes into the stained glass window over the front door of the castle, the window flashes, and Peach slowly descends to the ground. Mario rushes up to her as she opens her eyes. Thanking him, Peach kisses Mario on the nose and says she will bake a cake for him. Peach and two nearby Mushroom Retainers walk into the castle. Mario starts to do so himself, but then pauses and turns around to look at the upward. Peach calls him, and he rushes after her. It should be noted that if a second controller is plugged into the system, it can be used to control the camera while Peach congratulates Mario, as well as during the credits. After the credits roll, Mario, Peach and two Toads wave goodbye to the player, followed by the cake, with Peach and Mario figures, shown at the very end. The game will then freeze, and the console will have to be turned off or restarted. (This was customary for beating the final Boss at the time, since "extra mode" was not a popular concept.)

Courses
Levels are laid out inside paintings in the castle, or sometimes the walls themselves. They can also be found in holes, portals, oil pits, and inside a clock. Each world has seven Power Stars. Within each, one of which is gained by finding one hundred coins in the level. The other six Power Stars are found by performing "missions", fighting bosses, winning races, etc. Every course has boundaries to limit the player from going too far, either as a strict wall or an invisible boundary. If Mario hits either, he falls down (quite often losing a life). Otherwise, Mario is free to roam the large expansive levels at his leisure.

Levels often feature pink Bob-ombs called Bob-omb Buddies. They open cannons littered around the levels for Mario to fly with. When the cannon is open, Mario simply falls into the pit where it is, and it raises. The player targets the cannon with a cross hair shot, and fires. This helps Mario reach high or far away areas. It is often a good idea to use the Wing Cap with cannons.

There a total of 15 levels in the game, not including secret stars and Bowser levels.

(Peach/Toadstool's letter)

(Mario's first painting.)

(Good bye!)

(Mario finally gets his cake!)

Why I Love This Game:
1. Exploration: Even though it isn't heavy as Galaxy, to be fair, this game was released way earlier than Galaxy. This game still provides decent exploration. My favorite places to go are very mysterious places like coves or under water places and that's why my favorite courses are water based levels.

2. Music: This game has one fine sound track. Two of my favorite soundtracks are in this game. One is Dire Dire Docks and the other one is Bowser final battle. The soundtracks are really enjoyable to here and this paved the way to even better soundtracks. Cheers!

3. Originality: Must anything be said? This game paved the way for a lot of other games and has been labeled as one of the most influential games of the world.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
YES!

I will never forget the first time I walked into Toys R Us and seeing the N64 display with Mario 64. My mind was blown, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
A very immersive game at the time, I loved it, and I can still go back to it and enjoy it almost as much!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Finally a couple of games that I've actually played! :lol

Both very good games. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I enjoyed Mario 64, and I've finished it twice, but imo it doesn't hold up as well these days, with its twitchy controls and camera problems that are common to the era. I didn't play it until years after it came out, so I don't have much nostalgia for it, but it's still a landmark 3D platformer for the time. The DS version was very well done, and I liked most of the changes (except for that damn awful dash when holding the run button and not moving).

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I enjoyed Mario 64, and I've finished it twice, but imo it doesn't hold up as well these days, with its twitchy controls and camera problems that are common to the era. I didn't play it until years after it came out, so I don't have much nostalgia for it, but it's still a landmark 3D platformer for the time. The DS version was very well done, and I liked most of the changes (except for that damn awful dash when holding the run button and not moving).
I've been meaning to pick up the DS version but saw mentioned that it was difficult to control due to the DS not having any analog sticks. Surely, you can use the 3DS analog sticks with it, right?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've been meaning to pick up the DS version but saw mentioned that it was difficult to control due to the DS not having any analog sticks. Surely, you can use the 3DS analog sticks with it, right?

The game isn't programmed with the 3DS in mind, so you'd just get digital movement. They've implemented a more classic Mario system where you regularly move at walking speed, or you can hold down a button to run, so you get two speeds. You can also use the stylus on the screen for movement, but I found that awkward.
There are definitely areas where the lack of finer movement make things more difficult, but Mario 64 has so many control issues that I didn't find it hindered it too much over the original.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo

The game isn't programmed with the 3DS in mind, so you'd just get digital movement. They've implemented a more classic Mario system where you regularly move at walking speed, or you can hold down a button to run, so you get two speeds. You can also use the stylus on the screen for movement, but I found that awkward.
There are definitely areas where the lack of finer movement make things more difficult, but Mario 64 has so many control issues that I didn't find it hindered it too much over the original.
Thanks for the answer.  :tup I can't imagine playing a 3D platformer like Mario without an analog stick. We'll see if I'll bother getting it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
M64 was my #1 so I definitely love it and contrary to Blob, I find it still stands the test of time.  Sure the controls aren't perfect with those N64 analog controllers, but I've never experienced any issues to make me think less of the game.

Offline Randaran

I had control issues with SM64 when I tried playing it on the original hardware, but it controlled perfectly when I used my PS3 controller and an emulator. Yet another reason why I consider the N64 controller to be one of Nintendo's worst.  :)
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Cable

I really missed something with Mario64- I feel like it's the most recurring game on people's lists!
---

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 9: New Super Mario Bros U

What Is This Game?
New Super Mario Bros. U is a side-scrolling 2.5D platform game, and a launch title for the Wii U. It is the fourteenth installment in the Super Mario series, the ninth installment in the Super Mario Bros. series, and the fourth and latest installment in the New Super Mario Bros. series. Released on November 18, 2012 in North America, November 30th in Europe and Australia, and in Japan on December 8th, it is the first Super Mario series game to be released as a launch title for a home console since Super Mario 64. An expansion pack for this game was later released in 2013, titled New Super Luigi U.

Storyline
Mario, Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad are with Princess Peach in Princess Peach's Castle having dinner together. Bowser and the Koopalings suddenly arrive in their Airships, with the former sporting a giant mechanical fist, that smashes and launches the brothers and the Toads away from the castle. Mario and his friends crash into the Acorn Tree, launching Super Acorns through the area. They then tumble out of the tree, passing a Bubble Baby Yoshi and Balloon Baby Yoshi, while they're at it, and look into the horizon to see Bowser beginning a siege on Princess Peach's Castle, setting the Mario Bros. and the Toads to go on a new adventure and save Princess Peach.

As the game progresses, the view occasionally shifts to Peach's Castle, showing the flags being replaced by Bowser's flags, and the castle being surrounded by a thin tornado-like cloud that is made thicker, entirely obscuring the castle. Mario, Luigi and the Toads also have to deal with Bowser's forces, including the Koopalings, Boom Booms, Kamek and Bowser Jr., who occasionally attacks the heroes with his dad's airship. None of them is enough to stop the heroes from progressing, and Bowser Jr. causes the airship to crash after making the mechanical hand punch through it. After reaching Peach's Castle and defeating Bowser, the group moves onward, but Bowser Jr. appears and urges Kamek to spread his magic across the area. After heading to the castle exterior, Mario and the others see Peach in a tower. Before they can save her, she is locked inside and Bowser appears, now at a giant size. Eventually, Bowser is defeated and Bowser Jr. runs away in fright. Mario (or whomever delivered the final blow to Bowser) gets to Peach and bows down to her, and is then kissed by her, to their shock and delight, as the clouds surrounding the castle disappear, restoring it to its former state.

Outside the castle, the Koopalings and Bowser Jr. are fleeing on the airship as Bowser recovers. Noticing the escaping airship, he climbs up onto one of the castle towers and leaps onto the ship, but his additional weight causes it to plummet into a hill nearby; they then fly away hanging on to Bowser Jr.'s Junior Clown Car while Mario and Blue Toad watch. They then turn back to the others, who are cheering, with Mario delivering a final victory pose.

Worlds
Unlike previous New Super Mario Bros. titles, where the worlds are separated like in Super Mario Bros. 3, New Super Mario Bros. U has a seamless world map with areas named after different foods and drinks, similar to Super Mario World. Like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the Worlds include Toad Houses and Enemy Courses that players will encounter in the game. The music changes instruments throughout the world map similar to Yoshi's Island. Though, like the previous games, there are Towers, Castles and Ghost House-related levels within each part of the world. And like Super Mario World, the worlds are connected jointly.

Yoshi's
Green Yoshis make a return, acting like in New Super Mario Bros Wii. Green is the only color available for Yoshis that the players ride on, unlike New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Yoshi now has a meter that tracks how many berries he eats, instead of showing a number each time he eats one. As usual, eating 5 makes him lay an egg containing an item. Like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Green Yoshi isn't able to leave the courses he appears in.

New Super Mario Bros. U also features the return of Baby Yoshis, having been absent from the Super Mario series since their debut in Super Mario World. The game features three differently-colored Baby Yoshis, each one with a special ability. They differ from the adult Green Yoshi in terms of gameplay. Being babies, they can't be ridden, so characters must carry them throughout the levels. Baby Yoshis also instantly eat almost any enemy that is in front of them. Unlike in Super Mario World, Baby Yoshis don't grow into adults after eating several enemies. Two types of Baby Yoshis found on the overworld can be taken into any course, with the exception of Fortresses, Airships and Castles.

Why I Love This Game:
I had been a major, major fan of these series. When I first picked up New Super Mario Bros Wii, I was shocked. The graphics were very nice, the level was challenging enough and when I finished it, I was greeted by a whole new challenge. Another main reason is exploration. Each course is unique (and yes, you will here me say exploration a lot), and provides a lot of visuals. It was also one of the highest point for me and my girlfriend when we would get into a friendly contest of killing our characters. I even smile at some of the nostalgic moments we've had but doesn't compare to the other games ahead of this. Anyways, this game provided a lot of humorous laughs, a lot of fun, and quite a lot of challenge.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Randaran

Sweet, one of my favorite 2D Mario games. My only complaint is that, aside from a few world 9 stages, the game was too easy. Otherwise, nice pick.  :tup

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Definitely. :)
Thanks!
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
Number 8: Mario Party 10

Clocking at number 8, is Mario Party 10. Another really fun and famous spin-offs, this game brought definitely a lot of giggles, rage and fun. My girlfriend and I would almost play this game at a rainy, hazy day. Amidst the storm, we wanted to show that we can have fun and not reflect on the mood of the weather outside. Too bad she isn't here anymore....

What Is Mario Party 10?
[/b][/size][/color]
Mario Party 10 is a game for the Wii U. It is the tenth home console installment in the Mario Party series, and features many reused gameplay elements from its predecessor. The game features a standard Party Mode (similar in gameplay to the Party Mode from Mario Party 9), and a new mode called Bowser Party, in which one player controls Bowser using the GamePad, and exclusive minigames can be played. Mini Stars return in normal party, as well as vehicles in all modes. The game is also compatible with amiibo.

The characters have to get to the end of the path with the most Mini Stars. Characters move around in vehicles taking turns being the captain and rolling the dice. The Mini Stars are thus returning from Mario Party 9. A brand new feature is that Bowser is locked in the Gamepad with dice numbers. Each time the die is rolled, the corresponding lock will be unlocked (there are six locks, one for each number on the die). The player who unlocks the last lock loses half of their mini stars and Bowser will add a lot of Bowser spaces on the board. If Bowser isn't free until the "Almost There" event, he will remain stuck there and his son will add Bowser Jr. Spaces instead. Also, item shops return, this time in the form of Toad Houses, where a dice block is given to all players. All players are required to use Wii Remotes, as the Wii U GamePad is incompatible with this game mode.

Sorry, I'm pretty sick right now, so I couldn't commit to a full fledged write up. When I get better, I promise I'll provide more.
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Cable

I played a lot of Mario Part 8 & 9, so I'm guessing the WiiU one is a good successor.
---

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
wow you weren't kidding about all the mario  :lol

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
:tup
Yeah. :)
I love Mario.
-Charles Caleb Colton