Author Topic: Anyone else get the new Flotsam and Jetsam?  (Read 8171 times)

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Anyone else get the new Flotsam and Jetsam?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 07:00:39 PM »
Yes. DTF's biggest F&J fan here. It's the album I've been waiting for them to release for ages. Easily the best thing since When The Storm Comes Down. Jason Bittner is insane on this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
These guys are awesome! Their last few albums have been excellent., the Cold was awesome!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 01:40:33 PM »
Bravewords has a very favorable review
https://bravewords.com/reviews/flotsam-and-jetsam-flotsam-and-jetsam

This album is excellent.

YtseJam, I'm not a fan of The Cold, or the whole Neilson/Simpson era. They rocked pretty hard, but there was something missing.

I was thrilled to see Michael Gilbert and Kelly Smith return for Ugly Noise, reuiniting 4/5 of the original band, but I was fairly disappointed with it, although it's grown on me.

To me, the new s/t is easily the best think since 1997's High, which effective ended the 6 album run of the Classic Era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
I think Simpson was awesome! He kept the musicianship at a higher level and more groove. I love these guys and AK's voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh8JRE4I_Eo  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »
Hey that's cool. Any love that F&J gets around here is good love.

Both No Place For Disgrace and When The Storm Comes Down made The TAC Top 50. The new album really reminds me of them, particularly No Place.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 05:48:56 PM »
 :metal Did you see them when they came around last year? Not sure where you're from

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:58:27 PM »
Unfortunately, my days of going to clubs to see heavy metal bands are pretty much behind me.

I'm a half hour south of Boston.

I saw F&J at least a half dozen times from '87-'95 in both Providence and Boston.

If you're interested, I'll try and find some pics. I know I have them from at least 3 shows.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »
Definitely! I saw them at the El n Gee in New London and at Toads place. Troy Gregory Era and then Jason Ward

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 06:05:07 PM »
Definitely! I saw them at the El n Gee in New London and at Toads place. Troy Gregory Era and then Jason Ward

Oh shit.. You're a fogey too!  And local! Troy Gregory was awesome. They were never the same after he left, IMO. The new album comes the closest to that era.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
I have Photobucket open, and apparently I have a couple of pics scanned in. I know I have ton more but here's a couple.

September 28, 1987
The Living Room
Providence RI

This was the Doomsday tour with Michael Spencer on bass. What was cool about this show was that they were opening for Celtic Frost, but for some reason Celtic Frost didn't play. So we got extra Flots!!

I have never seen anyone headbang like Michael Gilbert.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
I might have to check the new album out if it is that good.  I won't bother re-posting what I have said many times in the past, but my interest in the band was very limited.  I saw them for the first time touring in support of the Drift album.  I went and bought that album and LOVED it.  Easily my favorite from them.  I bought a few others through the years and never really cared for them much.  Didn't dislike them, but they just didn't hold my interest.  But I thought their live album, Once in a Deathtime, was really good too. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 01:36:57 PM »
Tim, when you get a chance can you give a ranking of your top albums from F&J

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »
I saw them for the last time in support of Drift, which at the time I thought was very weak. It's aged well though. It was the 5th of what I consider the first 6 albums as the Classic Era.

After 1997's High, the drummer, Kelly Smith, and guitarist Michael Gilbert (the guy in the Snoopy shirt) left and were replaced Craig Neilson and Mark Simpson. They released a number of albums, Unnatural Selection, My God, Dreams Of Death, and The Cold. Personally, none of these has really hit me like the Classic era. Smith and Gilbert returned for 2013's Ugly Noise, so even though it was a return of the Classic Lineup, the album was very slow to click.

But the new one kicks total ass. It is reminiscent of No Place For Disgrace, which is quite different from Drift. Songs are very fast and aggressive.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »
I'm definitely going to check this out but I'm more excited for the new Death Angel.  Criminally underrated band.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »
Tim, when you get a chance can you give a ranking of your top albums from F&J

No Place For Disgrace
When The Storm Comes Down
Cuatro
High
Doomsday For The Deceiver
Drift
Unnatural Selection
My God
Ugly Noise
The Cold

For some reason I never got Dreams Of Death, the third of the Simpson/Neilson era.
I'd say the new one would land about 5th. Doomsday and No Place are the thrashiest and the new one is quite like them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 01:52:10 PM »
I'm definitely going to check this out but I'm more excited for the new Death Angel.  Criminally underrated band.

I played them on my radio show a lot in college, but it was really the vocals that held me back on them. They had a great version of Cold Gin if I'm not mistaken.

I would not behoove anyone loving Death Angel.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »

I played them on my radio show a lot in college, but it was really the vocals that held me back on them. They had a great version of Cold Gin if I'm not mistaken.

Yep...killer version of Cold Gin.  Since the 2004 come back, each release has been better and better.  I thought Act III was their peak but I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
I think No Place for Disgrace is an absolute masterpiece and a must have for anyone in their metal collection. Doomsday is a classic much like kill em all was. Drift is an excellent transition from Cuatro where they broke their stereotypical sound and Cuatro has a special 90's vibe. Here are some of my favorites for anyone who wants to hear excellent music with a singer who can sing check out some of these as they've evolved. BTW great pix!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZQ7OsnyXsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znklksOwiDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxZN_bRNw8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9nWee81OBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO3JRJfOhkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2dXvk7pbek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcoHXjJRZes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C1DTEv6v48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk6x9cjCfT8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ77YEzem_I

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »
You know, I can't say I go out of my way to listen to this album.  But here's the thing:  I do listen to the new Fates Warning quite a bit, and F&J is up next after them on my phone and my work computer, so it often comes on if I don't actively skip to something else when the FW album finishes.  And I really enjoy it (or at least the first few songs in the cases where I end up changing it halfway through) every time.  The first 4 songs get my head bobbing and feet tappin'.  :biggrin:  And I notice that, despite not listening to it all that much, it's so straightforward and catchy that I know the songs on the first half very well and am constantly either mouthing the lyrics and/or air guitaring the solos (when nobody is walking by my office, of course).

EDIT:  And added this thread to the A-Z index of band threads thread.  Not sure why there wasn't an F&J thread in there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
It's a great album, Top 3 for me this year. But It's a also great Flotsam album. They haven't had an album this good and consistent in a looooong time.
And Jason Bittner nails it on this album. He has a similar style to Kelly Smith, so it has a classic feel, but Bittner is much stronger.

Life Is A Mess :metal

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »

Yep...killer version of Cold Gin.  Since the 2004 come back, each release has been better and better.  I thought Act III was their peak but I'm glad to have been proven wrong.

Act III is one of my favourite ever albums. Pretty much perfect from start to finish. Rather eclectic but remembers its thrash heritage with a couple of blistering songs. And then you have Stagnant and Room with a View... brilliant.

Nice to hear someone else likes When the Storm Comes Down, by the way! I loved it on release and still love it today, despite the 'interesting' snare sound.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
WTSCD is one of the ultimate "air drumming" albums!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 08:18:16 AM »
 :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »
Just listening to the s/t.  As is often the case, I hadn't been thinking about this album in awhile, and it just came on after Fates Warning.  Diggin' it.  :metal  TAC, you still listening to this one?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
Just listening to the s/t.  As is often the case, I hadn't been thinking about this album in awhile, and it just came on after Fates Warning.  Diggin' it.  :metal  TAC, you still listening to this one?

It's in the van! :metal

Haven't played it in a couple of months. I've gone through a UFO and now a Maiden binge, so that takes a lot of time.

But yes, it's awesome!!

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
Did you guys hear Jason Bitner joined Overkill?  :xbones

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
Did you guys hear Jason Bitner joined Overkill?  :xbones

Oh really?? Is he in both bands now? He was fantastic on the last F&J.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 12:13:12 PM »
Yeah he was. Originally I think he was going to be in both but now it appears he has left F&J for Overkill. I happen to love both bands so I'm not totally disappointed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
I think Overkill is a bit more financially stable, but I'm an F&J guy. Overkill is OK.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 04:20:17 PM »
I'm more of a fan of their classics. The Years of Decay is the best  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 04:28:22 PM »
I honestly didn't pay any attention to them back in the day. I'm not very familiar with their back catalog. I've got their last 3 or 4 albums, but not the latest. I sampled a few tracks and decided not to shell out any cash for it.

I saw them open for Slayer in 1990.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »
Ken Mary to do summer tour with F&J.

https://bravewords.com/news/flotsam-and-jetsam-announce-summer-tour-dates-drummer-ken-mary-steps-in-to-replace-jason-bittner

I just saw that. Interesting, because he had injured his shoulder and was unable to play with Fifth Angel in April. I assume whatever treatment he got helped immensely for him to be taking on a thrash tour. Good for him!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!