Author Topic: Anyone else get the new Flotsam and Jetsam?  (Read 8124 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Anyone else get the new Flotsam and Jetsam?
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »
That IS interesting.

I realize it's about 10 shows, but how can you be so injured to play FA, but only 3 months later expect to play F&J?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 04:02:01 AM »
I saw that too but I don't know anything about him. Sounds like he's just filling in

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 04:08:39 AM »
All I know about this band is that Jason Newsted was in it. What should I check out?
Also was Jason an influence to the band's sound or just a passing member?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 07:04:51 AM »
All I know about this band is that Jason Newsted was in it. What should I check out?
Also was Jason an influence to the band's sound or just a passing member?

Jason was one of THE founding members. After they released their first album in '86, Doomsday For The Deceiver, he joined Metallica.

They have been releasing albums ever since.

Doomsday is old school 80's thrash. It sounds a bit dated.
Personally, the two albums they released next are two of my favorite albums of all time.

No Place For Disgrace (1988)
When The Storm Comes Down (1990)

The s/t they released a year or two ago is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2018, 08:50:02 PM »
I've been listening to Flotsam and Jetsam a lot over the past few months and concluded that few bands have been this inconsistent. Some albums sound like they were recorded in a garage with minimal effort and not a single standout track, and others are unbelievably awesome. In my opinion, Cuatro (1992) and The Cold (2010) are easily their finest achievements, and I'll continue listening to everything they put out in hopes that a new one can impress me as much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2018, 08:54:50 PM »
Cuatro has certainly aged well. I thought it was a huge step down from When The Storm Comes Down at the time.

I have trouble getting into The Cold.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2018, 09:55:10 PM »
When I was a kid, I fell in love with "Wading Through the Darkness" because of Headbangers Ball. I ended up buying Cuatro and Drift, but for some reason only listened to them a couple times. I'm glad I finally decided to give them another chance! The Cold surprised the hell out of me because their previous few albums had been so underwhelming. Right from the start--with eerie keys and Eric A.K forlornly singing "You tell me I'm the devil and then scratch my flesh with your horns"--it sounded like this band had finally woken up and had something to prove again. It's a really dark and ferocious album but it's also probably their most melodic because of "The Cold," "Secret Life," "Blackened Eyes Staring," and especially that amazing ballad "Better Off Dead."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2018, 09:12:47 AM »
Interesting.  The Cold was never even on my radar.  I'm going to have to check it out.  But I agree about the "inconsistency" comment.  They are a very hit-and-miss band for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
The Cold is freaking amazing. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2018, 10:55:58 AM »
I have been sampling it on YouTube while at work.  Thus far (track 6):  THIS IS AMAZING! 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:03:00 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2018, 01:15:57 PM »
Enjoying my first ever run through the self titled album.

Monkey Wrench  :omg:  :metal :metal :metal  :omg:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
Yeah Gregg, that last album they did was fantastic.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 02:50:23 PM »
I agree, Tim. Definitely purchase worthy.

So now I'm really curious about what I've been missing, thus, I'm listening to The Cold. I'm nearly through it and really enjoying the experience. There are a few songs that I'm not as keen on as I was with the self titled album, but I still love a few of the tunes.

Here's a couple of impressions I have about the band and their sound overall (so far). Number one: the aggression doesn't feel forced, which I find really uncommon in metal bands of a certain age. I'm not getting the "menopause metal" impression I usually get from such acts (I'm looking at you Adrenaline Mob). Maybe the down to earth, common man, lyrics really help, but I chalk it up to my second impression: the vocals are excellent! Their singer really sells these songs and the anger, regret, frustration, despair, hopelessness, of the lyrics with his effortless delivery.

Would listen again.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »
Here's a couple of impressions I have about the band and their sound overall (so far). Number one: the aggression doesn't feel forced, which I find really uncommon in metal bands of a certain age. I'm not getting the "menopause metal" impression I usually get from such acts (I'm looking at you Adrenaline Mob). Maybe the down to earth, common man, lyrics really help, but I chalk it up to my second impression: the vocals are excellent! Their singer really sells these songs and the anger, regret, frustration, despair, hopelessness, of the lyrics with his effortless delivery.

That is what first attracted me to the band in the Drift era.  Spot on observation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »

When The Cold came out, I just could not really get into it. But I just spun it while cleaning my pool, and damn, some good stuff I overlooked. This album has some great guitar solos, something that F&J is not really known for.

Gregg, you mention the lyrics and the singer. I was thinking about something Grappler said in the Crue thread, about how honest he found the Crue in the 80's. That was exactly what I was thinking about Eric Knutson. That guy's the real deal. There is no pretentiousness about him whatsoever.

I've been a F&J fan since they have been around. I saw them on their first tour, unfortunately it was just after Jason Newsted left.

Greeg, did you know Eric Knutson's son was on American Idol?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dxEysNzEDo

He looks just like him. I'm trying to find a video with Eric in it. I do remember there being one where he was there. My understanding is that he did not grow up with Eric, and may not have even had contact with him. That's what I remember.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »
Flotsam and Jetsam are absolutely amazing! Eric AK sings his balls off and their music is so powerful that if they don't energize your batteries you're probably already dead. Their last album was sick! This was our bands main influence and I was happy to hear them getting air play on sirius at least.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
Amen, Brother.

I'm going to spend some time with the Simpson/Neilson era over the next few days. Spun The Cold earlier. Have Unnatural Selection on right now. :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »
@ Ytsejam..found this footage from Toads on YouTube. Saw this tour in Providence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHy2As50OqY

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
I haven't listened much to Flotsam and Jetsam but thanks to this thread I've had Better Off Dead stuck in my head all day
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
 :metal

Why were bouncers such dicks? They threw out half the crowd lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2019, 08:18:09 PM »
F&J released their latest album last week.

This album is incredible.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2019, 08:26:34 PM »
Hopefully the music is better than the cover art  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »
It's better than the first draft:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2019, 08:33:36 PM »
I like the draft better actually - always had a soft spot for the Stay Puft marshmallow man.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2019, 08:35:17 PM »
The world's most overrated movie.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2019, 07:22:56 AM »
Man these guys just get better with age! I think the album artwork looks cool, better than DT's last few and upcoming anyway. Nevertheless, F&J rule. Eric AK is so awesome  :metal

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2019, 04:15:58 PM »
Man, I love these guys. Just saw this clip on FB and made me realize how lucky we are to have bands like this still

https://www.facebook.com/kenmary1/videos/10215475537579543/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »
Awesome. Great tune.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
Gives me an excuse to post my pic with Ken Mary again!

Taken at the after show gathering at the Boston Garden.
Novenber 17, 1987

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »
@ Rodrigo..

https://bravewords.com/news/flotsam-and-jetsam-launch-new-album-teaser-video

They have something going on at Sonic Perspectives on Friday?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »
So I've been listening to my promo copy of the new Flotsam. HOLY SHIT, what an incredible record. I'm a casual fan of Flotsam. I know a bit of the old stuff, and then paid attention when one of my favorite drummers, Ken Mary joined. Well, Blood in the Water builds on the last album in a HUGE way.

Thrash, technical, powerful, melodic. INCREDIBLE album. DO NOT hesitate to buy it when it is released. Just intensity from start to finish. whenever we get back to concerts, Flotsam is on the list for me. I meant to go on the last tour (they played a tiny club near me), but had a conflict. I won't miss them the next time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2021, 12:32:14 PM »
I'm on it as soon as it's released!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2021, 04:42:49 PM »
Been starting to dig into this band.  Spun the End of Chaos twice and it's a ball cruncher, love it!  I've checked on Tim's suggestion to No Place for Disgrace and am now checking the re-recorded version, which is cool.  Some amazing riffing on here actually, really good.  I think I'll work backwards and maybe go the self titled next.

Damn, they have a lot of albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
So I've been listening to my promo copy of the new Flotsam. HOLY SHIT, what an incredible record. I'm a casual fan of Flotsam. I know a bit of the old stuff, and then paid attention when one of my favorite drummers, Ken Mary joined. Well, Blood in the Water builds on the last album in a HUGE way.

Thrash, technical, powerful, melodic. INCREDIBLE album. DO NOT hesitate to buy it when it is released. Just intensity from start to finish. whenever we get back to concerts, Flotsam is on the list for me. I meant to go on the last tour (they played a tiny club near me), but had a conflict. I won't miss them the next time.

Noted.

Have been starting to watch through this the last couple of nights too;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhmOPbUB-I&t=1152s

Fuck, they smoke live.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »
I think I'll work backwards and maybe go the self titled next.

Damn, they have a lot of albums.

I actually listened to the self titled today. That's a great album.