Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond V. Spoilers Ahead  (Read 17777 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek Beyond V. Spoilers Ahead
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2016, 06:49:28 AM »
The crash in From Beyond was epic though.  That was so well done.

In a computer.

The crash from Generations was a 6 ft saucer literally dragged over a massive set which was hand built. Which is why it looks so much more realistic and believable.

There are CG elements of course but it's an actual physical saucer crashing on an actual physical set.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2016, 06:51:02 AM »
Is your point that you like I better doing it the old way?  I don't care how it's done as well as its done well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2016, 06:53:09 AM »
I like whichever way looks more realistic and believable.

If the Gen crash looked shitty because you can tell instantly that it's a model and a set and the CG one from Beyond was more believable then so be it.

But by and large - practical is way more believable than CG.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »
It's up to $333m on a $185 budget.

It *might* scrape up a $350m total gross which would not be a total failure once you add in home release sales.

Paramount really need to put a metric ton of extras on the Blu Ray / DVD to entice people to buy it.

Into Darkness extras were pathetic.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2016, 11:55:48 PM »

Unfortunately that's become the standard ever since Bluray came out, plus the general lack of interest in physical formats in general.

On one hand, they've already got a sequel lined up, but it's sad that this will discourage them from making another similar film, and instead return to what they know sells.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:50 AM »
The next film should have heart, an emotional core and the action should be slower,  thought out and tense with a plot that has room to be told with an actual sense of real threat and danger.  The last three film have been fun (to various degree's) action movies - with lots of explosions, a breakneck pace and plots that seems to have been written on the fly.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »
That's Hollywood, mate.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2016, 04:24:28 AM »

Unfortunately that's become the standard ever since Bluray came out, plus the general lack of interest in physical formats in general.

On one hand, they've already got a sequel lined up, but it's sad that this will discourage them from making another similar film, and instead return to what they know sells.

Luckily - one supermarket in the UK got exclusive rights to get a double DVD package with all the extras on so I snapped that up.

For the 4th film - I expect Paramount will dish out a lower budget and as such it won't have to recoup so much.

If they made it for $100m - they'd only have to get back $300m for it to be a hit. . .

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Finally watched Beyond last night. I honestly don't see any differently than the other two. The pros and cons are largely the same. Weak story created as a vehicle for clever dialogue and lots of pew-pew-pew. In this case the bad guy of the week was pretty weak, which certainly didn't help matters. (And I'm tired of every bad guy requiring some surprise twist--OMG! He'f former Star Fleet!) Also, the action sequences were still just as chaotic as JJA's but were also too dark.* In the first viewing of each of the reboot movies I've never been able to tell who's shooting at who. When you combine the shaky cam, the twirly cam, the double-axle, triple somersault with a half twist cam and every other way to move a camera about cam, with the quick edits, it just becomes a jumbled mess. I generally just tune them out. See who's standing at the end or which ship is crashing. They add absolutely nothing.

That said, Simon Pegg's influence was definitely there. Definitely some nice character development for a change. The dialogue was good and contained some clever references. It was also pretty damned funny at times. I definitely liked Spock and Kirk having to evaluate and then reevaluate their places in the universe. That was a welcome addition that the other films lacked. Spock Prime's picture of his crew being what moved Spock was pretty clever. Yet, we never really got to see Kirk and Spock as a team. They refer to it, but their only real interaction in Beyond is failing to discuss anything with each other. They didn't like each other in the first two movies. In the third movie they claim to make a great team, but we never see any of it. That was a shame. Seeing Spock and McCoy interact is certainly entertaining, though. Just not sure having them all split up into groups was a good idea for the third film when they're very different characters before.

All in all, I'd still like to see them making these movies, but I have no expectation of them ever being more than they have been. They're generally fun to listen to, but crafting stories to fit around the action sequences doesn't make for good film.

*And after seeing Abrams's Star Wars I'm far more annoyed because the man can actually make a damn good pew-pew-pew scene if he chooses to. The dog-fighting scene in that was how these things should be done. Fast enough that they're not boring, but slow enough that you can actually grasp what's happening.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Even though I enjoyed most of Beyond, it's pretty hard to argue with any of that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2016, 10:21:12 AM »
That scene where Bones and Spock kick the pilot out of that swarm ship was damn near incomprehensible.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2016, 01:59:37 PM »
That scene where Bones and Spock kick the pilot out of that swarm ship was damn near incomprehensible.
Yup. That was one that stuck out at me. During the fight onboard and sliding down the crashed, burning Enterprise I had to pause the movie to crank the brightness upto see WTF was happening. You can see punches landing, but know idea on who, by who, or where they were.

If they'd kept phasers phasers, it'd be much easier to discern because at least then you'd recognize one side's weapons fire. Once they turned them into glowing red bullets they added dramatically to the clusterfuck.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2016, 07:04:10 AM »
I finally got around to watch Beyond yesterday and I liked it, it was fun. It was a visual spectacle, but I think it's my least favorite Abrams movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2016, 04:53:16 AM »
It's easily my favourite of the three.

ST09 is 2nd.

Beyond is the most Trek like.

But Abrams haters will complain about anything. I saw some people online whinging that the Track Titles on the Beyond OST were too silly.

:lolpalm: as if that affects the movie in any way.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2016, 07:32:30 AM »

The least 'trek' movie is Voyage Home - but people love that.  Personally I think it's dreadful and gets worse each passing year.  It's one of those naff 80's comedies where the humour comes purely come the concept (think 3 men and a baby).  People from the future go back to the 80's and try to fit in with hilarious results!!! 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2016, 07:43:05 AM »

The least 'trek' movie is Voyage Home - but people love that.  Personally I think it's dreadful and gets worse each passing year.  It's one of those naff 80's comedies where the humour comes purely come the concept (think 3 men and a baby).  People from the future go back to the 80's and try to fit in with hilarious results!!! 

TVH is still plenty Trekky. It's an environmental message wrapped in social commentary wrapped in time travel wrapped in camp comedy. Still one of my favourites. There's more to Trek than an Enterprise and space battles. :P
I'd say all of the original cast movies are pretty Trekky. If I had to say the least Trekky, probably TSFS imo. Sure, it's got the superficial elements like space ships, an Enterprise exploding before it was the cool thing to do, and Klingons etc, and while I enjoy the movie, it's a fairly empty movie that was little more than a means to an end, ie. bringing back Spock, plus some leftover scraps of TWOK.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
Nimoy only came back for 2 so he could be killed off and  only came back for 3 and 4 so he could direct.

I wonder why he came back for 5 and 6.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »

TVH is still plenty Trekky. It's an environmental message wrapped in social commentary wrapped in time travel wrapped in camp comedy. Still one of my favourites. There's more to Trek than an Enterprise and space battles. :P
I'd say all of the original cast movies are pretty Trekky. If I had to say the least Trekky, probably TSFS imo. Sure, it's got the superficial elements like space ships, an Enterprise exploding before it was the cool thing to do, and Klingons etc, and while I enjoy the movie, it's a fairly empty movie that was little more than a means to an end, ie. bringing back Spock, plus some leftover scraps of TWOK.

Yeah I know i'm pretty much alone in not liking it but honestly the only ST movie I rate lower is Insurrections.  Yup I put Final Frontier and Nemesis higher!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
I agree.

It's not all on Frakes but Insurrection is just poor. They had a limited budget to begin with and ILM were noticeably absent.

I know Jammindude on here loves Insurrection the most.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:35 AM »
The funny thing about Insurrections is the supposed good guys the Bak'u (the archetypal idyllic society,  untouched by progress, innocent of crime, all loving and all accepting) are a total bunch of dicks, seriously.  They've decided they couldn’t share their planet with anyone who didn’t share their values. The whole fucking planet. There only appears 600 of them in one isolated valley and they couldn’t even spare one lousy hemisphere. So they kicked the Son’a out (who for some reason didn’t just immediately land on the other side of the planet). But when you live on a magic planet that makes you immortal, exile is a slow death sentence. So that’s the Bak'u so intolerant and bloodthirsty they will murder anyone who holds different ideals. A race that have rejected technology except for the technology they need to crush their enemies. And then they just swan about, watching the rest of the galaxy die while they sit around making mediocre tapestries out of hemp.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2016, 11:39:55 PM »
Ya....gonna have to disagree on the Bak'u being dicks.   If you had a nice pool that you took care of, and your "friends" came over and intentionally pissed and crapped in your pool, imma thinkin you're going to be throwing them out and saying something to the effect of "you can come back, if you want to stop pissing in our pool"

Nemesis is the only ST movie in the entire franchise that was so dreadfully bad that it actually made me angry.   What a horrible way to send out a great cast....it's almost disrespectful.  No....it was disrespectful.   

Insurrection is my personal favorite ST movie, because my personal beliefs are that the world you see in that film is going to come about someday....so it just warms my heart to see it.    And then to see the rebelious children come home to be loved and healed.   I get quite misty eyed at that movie. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2016, 06:31:27 AM »
What did Jammindude think of Beyond ?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:01 AM »
To tell you the truth....kinda bland.   It wasn't *BAD*, it was entertaining, but there was absolutely nothing in it that made me say, "NOW THAT'S what I'm talking about!"

I liked Into Darkness when it came out, but it hasn't aged well.   When I originally saw the Kirk death scene in the theater, I thought it had a nice poetry to it.   A sortof, "even in alternate universes, you will see repeating patterns"....   But repeated viewings have made it downright cringeworthy.   I've also come on board to the idea that while BC did a fantastic acting job, making him Khan was a huge mistake.   They should have just left him as John Harrison, and the movie would have been much improved.

But Beyond was an improvement over ID, I will at least give it that. At least it felt like someone (Simon Pegg) cared about the story and wanted to give us something fun and exciting.   I only watched it once, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up on repeated viewings.  I still think the first one was the best of the new trilogy.   Yes, the story had some flaws, but there was a really great chemistry surrounding that first film.   Everyone NAILED their roles, and I wasn't bothered by the mild changes.   I viewed the Spock Uhura romance the same as I did the Worf Troi relationship in TNG....just an interesting idea taking place in an alternate universe. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
The Spock / Uhura thing was to let the audience know that Spock is straight and also to put 0.005 seconds of romance in the trailer to attract the female moviegoers.

[/cynic]

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2016, 03:59:04 AM »
Ya....gonna have to disagree on the Bak'u being dicks.   If you had a nice pool that you took care of, and your "friends" came over and intentionally pissed and crapped in your pool, imma thinkin you're going to be throwing them out and saying something to the effect of "you can come back, if you want to stop pissing in our pool"

See that's the Bak'u problem right there.  They presume this 'pool' is their own, but it's not it's a communal pool.  And the Son'a weren't 'pissing in the pool' they wanted to make it better by adding a waterslide, jacuzzi and hot tubs.  But no the Bak'u couldn't have that, because they are dicks, total fucking dicks.  So these Bak'u exile the Son'a - I presume with an non-aggressive leaflet campaign, as we are constantly told how 'peaceful' they are.  So exiled not just to another valley, or island, or even another continent - no they exile them of the planet....dicks.

I don't like the Bak'u.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2016, 03:59:52 AM »
double postage.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2017, 03:43:38 AM »
Count me in on the 'finally got around to seeing it' camp.

Have to agree with the concensus here. I liked it overall, loved the humour and I think Jayla could be a fun permanent crewmember. But that bad guy... argh. Such a waste on Elba.

Overall fun and enjoyable movie, not as good as Rogue One by a long run, though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2017, 04:18:34 AM »
But easily the best of the 3 Star Trek prequels.

If Into Darkness had a better script - it would have been a pretty decent trilogy.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2017, 04:52:00 AM »

If Into Darkness had a better script - it would have been a pretty decent trilogy.

If you pretend Cumberbatch isn't Khan and just some new villain it's a much better film and ironically he also becomes the best villain in the trilogy (admittedly that isn't hard!)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »
Yeah I don't believe that Into Darkness is a total disaster like some people. It just needed some tweaks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
Into Darkness is my favorite of the three, despite its flaws.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »
It's a fun ride.

It's probably more exciting than Beyond but Beyond wins on nearly everything else. Except lighting. Beyond needed a better DOP.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2017, 12:11:08 PM »
The problem is the conviction that ST needs a villain. Look at the best episodes from TOS or TNG and figure out who the bad guy was. The Guardian of Forever? Raging hormones? The Kataanian sun? Paradoxical spacial anomaly? And how many more have multiple, ambiguous bad guys creating conflict? Is Gul Lemec a bigger bad guy than Captain Jelico? Commander Shelby was more important as a bad guy than the Borg were, even if not as terrifying.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
My wife was in the hospital recently, and Star Trek Beyond was one of the free movies on the in-room entertainment thing, so we watched it.  That was last week, and it was overall so forgettable that when this thread got bumped, I remembered watching it, but honestly could not remember the plot.  I just read through the whole thread so far, and oh yeah, stranded alien dude, badass alien chick, that one.

Unfortunately, I still have to shell out for Redbox or On Demand or something, because the movies on the in-room entertainment thing have been edited.  When Bones first appeared, he said "My Gosh, man!" and I just went "What?!" and my wife reminded me that the movie have been "sanitized".  Dammit.  I've seen every Star Trek movie in one form or another, but always on DVD or Blu-ray or otherwise uncompromised.  And I know that that's a stupid reason, given that there are multiple versions of most them (original theatrical cut, extended cut, director's cut, etc) but I at least have to hear Bones say "My God, man!"  Also, I don't know what else was cut, but just knowing that I've seen some kind of edited version bugs me.

Problem is, I didn't otherwise think it was good enough to even seek out again.  I'll probably wait til it makes its rounds on Starz.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2017, 02:14:19 PM »
"My Gosh, man!"
That's a damn shame. Probably the best scene in the movie. What was it Spock said, "I can confirm your hypothesis to be horseshit, doctor."  :lol
E.F. Benson