Author Topic: Pet Sounds - 50th anniversary  (Read 4248 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Pet Sounds - 50th anniversary
« on: May 16, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
Today 50 years ago Pet Sounds was released. Where does it stand on your all time greatest albums? This is definitely one of the top 10 albums ever released - its influence on so much music... The harmonies on the album are just amazing.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Pet Sounds - 50th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:24 PM »
Legendary.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:01:53 PM »
God Only Knows is one of my favorites

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
Great album, even if it is one I do not listen to that often.  God Only Knows is still one of the best songs ever written.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 12:36:54 AM »
It's my #2 album after Abbey Road, and I'd say that God Only Knows is probably my favourite song of all time. Or at least tied with Penny Lane.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:33:59 AM »
Good album.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 03:02:46 AM »
I got into The Beach Boys extremely late, but Pet sounds quickly became one of my all time favorite albums. It only took a few listens for me to realize this is something exceptional. I know there's an answer, You still believe in me, Sloop John B, Don't talk, God only knows... So many great songs.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 04:43:20 AM »
I've never heard the album but I will check it out today.

Sound Opinions did a great album dissection on it. https://www.soundopinions.org/show/546

Offline masterthes

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 08:27:02 AM »
Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows are two of my favorite Beach Boys songs. I also have a soft spot for Sloop John B

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »
Great album. In particular:

God Only Knows
Don't Talk (Put Your Head in My Shoulder)
Caroline No
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Waiting for the Day
Wouldn't It Be Nice

All fantastic songs.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »
A glorious album, and demonstrative of the genius of Brian Wilson.

Check out the documentary The Wrecking Crew for info on the session musicians who recorded this album with Wilson (yes, it was recorded by session musicians, not the Beach Boys - well, they ARE on it, but they are mixed into the main musicians).  Fantastic stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »
Good album.  I like The Beach Boys, but to be honest, a lot of their stuff all sounds the same, and Pet Sounds is no different.  Great harmonies, nice arrangements, but it wasn't the Oh My Fucking God This Is So Fucking Amazing album that so many people seem to think it is.  Right up there with Abbey Road?  Please.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 11:06:11 AM »
It isn't right up there with Abbey Road, it's better than it  :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »
And yet no one has ever managed to say what it is that's so amazing about this album.  Every time I ask, I get "It's just great.  If you don't hear that, I can't explain it to you."  Yes, it sounds good.  I just don't understand what is supposedly so amazing about this album.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 11:47:48 AM »
And yet no one has ever managed to say what it is that's so amazing about this album. 

The songwriting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
I'm with Orbert.  That says nothing and doesn't really do anything to change my "meh" opinion of the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 11:56:53 AM »
I don't know Bob, I've read so many interviews on why Pet Sounds was amazing.  From the songwriting to the production.  It I remember, both the Beatles and The Beach Boys would hear each others album and make it a challenge to better their next record.  Here is Brian Wilson talking about getting inspired listening to The Beatles.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/04/brian-wilson-on-the-beach-boys-rivalry-with-the-beatles-and-flying-solo.html

Bruce Johnson on playing Pet Sounds for John, Paul and Keith Moon.

https://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/11/19/beach-boys-beatles-pet-sounds/

John Lennon to Brian Wilson, "After it was released, Wilson says today, John Lennon rang him and told him it was the greatest album ever made, an opinion that would be repeated again and again in subsequent years".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
It's a legendary album mainly because of the songwriting, simply as that. But, if someone thinks an album is "meh", i don't really know if there's a way to make it see how good it is.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 12:26:42 PM »
I have tried to connect with this album a couple times, and never really did. I don't dislike it in anyway, so maybe I am in the "meh" camp.

Though Sloop John B might be an all-time top 5 song of mine. So there's that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
I don't know Bob, I've read so many interviews on why Pet Sounds was amazing.  From the songwriting to the production.  It I remember, both the Beatles and The Beach Boys would hear each others album and make it a challenge to better their next record.  Here is Brian Wilson talking about getting inspired listening to The Beatles.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/04/brian-wilson-on-the-beach-boys-rivalry-with-the-beatles-and-flying-solo.html

Bruce Johnson on playing Pet Sounds for John, Paul and Keith Moon.

https://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/11/19/beach-boys-beatles-pet-sounds/

John Lennon to Brian Wilson, "After it was released, Wilson says today, John Lennon rang him and told him it was the greatest album ever made, an opinion that would be repeated again and again in subsequent years".

I was mostly talking about discussions here on DTF, but also in general, I suppose.  The production is great, but I suppose if the songs don't thrill me, then I'm not left with much.  Don't get me wrong; I do think the songs are good.  Nice melodies, great harmonies.  I just don't hear anything really mindblowing.  Those two articles talk a lot about how great the albums were, but again very little about what was so great about them.  I mean specifics.  I studied music theory; I arrange music as a hobby, for my own amusement.  Come on, I handle it.

With The Beatles, I hear arrangements that blew the existing forms to bits.  The use of atypical structures, atypical instrumentation, all kinds of things that just had not been done before.  With The Beach Boys, I hear a very polished vocal group with a lot of pretty songs that mostly sound the same.

Maybe that's the problem.  The Beatles were musicians, and I'm drawn to what they did musically, and how much new ground was being broken.  The Beach Boys were a vocal group, and to me, there's only so much you can do with vocal arrangements.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 01:07:58 PM »
Totally get that.  On this board most are into 70's and up when it comes to their music taste.  Not all but the majority.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »
I completely agree with all that Orbert just said, for basically the same reasons as well. Perhaps it doesn't really help me that I've only heard the full album once or twice, even though I've heard songs like Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows many more times. I like those, but not in the same regard I like the music I call my absolute favourites. Nice album, probably even a very good album, but if we're going strictly for fake-arguments proclaiming it's good without telling me why so, I'm not buying it at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 01:24:44 PM »
but if we're going strictly for fake-arguments proclaiming it's good without telling me why so, I'm not buying it at all.

::)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
The accolades over the decades and musicians proclaiming how good it is should tell you it's not fake.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »
I know it's not fake, but I guess it's just not for me then.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
The accolades over the decades and musicians proclaiming how good it is should tell you it's not fake.
Not necessarily.  A lot of musicians are complete dolts.  Something isn't good because a group of musicians say it is.  Again, if you like it, cool.  But Orbert is right.  The "argument" that it is good basically boils down to "it's good because a lot of people think it is."  Sorry, but:
if we're going strictly for fake-arguments proclaiming it's good without telling me why so, I'm not buying it at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
To me, either you enjoy an album or you don't. I doubt explanations will change the opinion of someone who doesn't like it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
You are right.  Explanations may not change my enjoyment of the album.  But that isn't what is being discussed.  What is being discussed is whether it is a "great" or "amazing" album.  That is something that can be explained, if an album is truly great.  But there hasn't really been any explanation here, other than:
1.  "The songwriting"
2.  A bunch of musicians think it is amazing.

Okay.  All albums have songwriting.  Tell me more or that means nothing.  And as for "musicians like it," I already addressed why that is unpersuasive.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
That is something that can be explained, if an album is truly great.

How so?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
It's great because they took standard vocal arrangements in new directions.
It's great because the production on the album is flawless.
It's great because no one else had ever <fill in the blank> before, and no one has done it as well since then.
Etc.

There are any number of things that can take something from good to great.  All I ever hear is how great it is, and nothing about why.  Even those two articles linked above, lots of raving, no specifics.  Even if I don't particularly like something, I can appreciate what a landmark it was in recording history if someone could actually tell me why it was a landmark in recording history.  I actually like this album, but would honestly like to appreciate it more.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
 When Brian Wilson heard rubber soul, he had the inspiration to write pet sounds. When the Beatles heard pet sounds, they had the inspiration to record Sgt Pepper.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »
Not necessarily.  A lot of musicians are complete dolts.  Something isn't good because a group of musicians say it is.  Again, if you like it, cool.  But Orbert is right.  The "argument" that it is good basically boils down to "it's good because a lot of people think it is."  Sorry, but:
if we're going strictly for fake-arguments proclaiming it's good without telling me why so, I'm not buying it at all.

So many fans go nuts over the album as well good sir. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
That is something that can be explained, if an album is truly great.

How so?

By laying out your criteria for what makes a great album and then showing that the album in question met or exceeded several of those criteria.  For example, I might say "Some of the criteria I feel make a 'great album' are: solid album sales, more than one high charting single, accessibility across musical genres, songs with varying structures, songs with strong vocals, songs that are catchy, and some larger social impact that transcends music."  (not saying those are the only criteria, but by way of example only) 

Let's apply that formula to Michael Jackson's Thriller:
-Solid album sales?  Check.  It smashed records and became the highest selling album of all time (at the time, anyway).
-Several high-charting singles?  Check.  7 top 10's.  Nobody had ever done that before.
-Cross-genre appeal?  Check.  It lit up pop, R&B, and rock charts.
-Varying song structures?  For pop music, check.  But your mileage and buy-in may vary with this factor.
-Strong vocals?  Check.  Michael had range and power, and also showed a lot of diversity and use of different styles.
-Catchy songs?  Check.  Little explanation required.
-Social impact?  "Thriller enabled Jackson to break down racial barriers in pop music via his appearances on MTV and meeting with President of the United States Ronald Reagan at the White House."  Not to mention the fact that it, along with some other things, led to a lot of other things that transcended music, such as the USA for Africa charity (remember the We Are The World song/video?).  Checkeroo.

Anyhow, you get the idea. 

In contrast, let's do Lulu, by Lou Reed and Metallica.
-Solid album sales?  Nope.
-Several high-charting singles?  Nope.
-Cross-genre appeal?  Er...okay, let's say "yes" just for argument's sake even though I think it might be a stretch to say there was any fona fide "appeal."
-Varying song structures?  Again, I'll give this one.
-Strong vocals?  Mmm...okay.
-Catchy songs?  Not really, by most people's standards.
-Social impact?  Zero.

So, great album by my criteria?  Not even close.  It was a stretch to say that really any of my criteria were met. 

Anyhow, this is requiring much more explanation that it should.  A lot of people like the album in question, no doubt.  Few if any actively dislike it.  That's all well and good.  I haven't heard why it's great.  But if you like it, more power to you.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
One of the greatest albums of all time. I think I like it more than any Beatles album.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
 Seriously bosk? You're basing an albums greatness based on how popular it was? There are a number of great albums that did not sell well, did not have strong social appeal, and did not become truly appreciate it until years or even decades after they were released.