Author Topic: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #1: I'm Not Sorry For That At All  (Read 30900 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #3: Far Beyond the Point of No Return
« Reply #385 on: June 07, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »
i just don't think it's a very good comparison is all  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #2: I Don't Know Where I'm Going
« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »
#2: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

Due to getting this album at the start of last year and thus having had a lot of time to sit on it, this album is gonna end up high inevitably because it's managed to stick on my mind for an entire year. And yeah, it's good. Great. Excellent. Honestly, if I were to point to one single thing this year that really reignited my passion for music, it'd be this album. It's just sitting in such an interesting place. The comparisons to Coheed and Cambria are inevitable since the band is on Claudio Sanchez's record label now (and the version I have is the 2014 rerelease, which I think is superior, better production and mixing at least). You'll also get Mars Volta comparisons considering the presence of trumpet, saxophone, and violin all throughout the album, and the general technical prog-rock mindset of the album. If that sounds good to you, there's probably no point continuing to read this review, honestly, since the songs kind of speak for themselves.

Here's the thing. Aside from the a cappella opener and the instrumental Suspicious Waveforms, these songs all have a lot in common.

First. Strong hooks. Every single track has a killer chorus. If I had to pick the top three... Feed the Horses, My Famed Disappearing Act, Carnival, in that order. The closest to an exception here is Concrete Swan Dive, but the more I linger on its hook, the more effective it seems to get; the track's a weird one in general though. The tracks tend to have a lot of strong vocal moments outside of just their hooks though, of course. The entire bridge of Feed the Horses, the "Step out of Line" bridge of Blood on the Radio, the absolutely STUNNING climax of Absentee (seriously, everything about the song from after the sax solo onward is a contender for best stretch of the album), and pretty much any vocal line from My Famed Disappearing Act. I can't really say there's a bad vocal line anywhere on here though, in all honesty.

Second. Killer instrumentation. I'll even pull Suspicious Waveforms back in, in fact I almost have to as it's the track where all 6 of the band's instrumentalists get a solo. Yes, including the bass and drums. It's honestly a bit overindulgent in the end, but I'll be damned if it isn't still great. The best solos on the album, in my opinion, would have to be... both the violin solo and trumpet/sax unison of Carnival (another contender for best stretch of the entire album), the fantastic and epic guitar solo of My Famed Disappearing Act, and the sax solo of Absentee, which is relatively simple but very soothing.

Even outside of the solos though, the instrumentation is top-notch. There's a lot of small things thrown into the tracks; Blood on the Radio has a cool verse guitar line and a lot of tiny variations throughout the song, Absentee has an absolutely killer riff in its climax, Carnival has too many great moments to name, In the Company of Worms has its shamisen intro and its massive main riff, My Famed Disappearing Act has its noodly guitar intro and outro. And that's just scratching the surface - heck, even several dozen listens of this album in and I'm sure there are small touches I've missed, because this album is just jam-packed with so many little moments that make a great whole.

The flavor on this album, too. Especially prominent in Blood on the Radio, which has a lot of Spanish vibes to it throughout, but there are touches throughout the entire album; the a cappella Prelude, the quiet bridge of Feed the Horses has a kind of jazzy feel to it, Suspicious Waveforms is basically just a pure jazz track, Carnival is just a really fun track in general, and the shamisen intro of In the Company of Worms is so out there and random that it really should work as well as it does. Beyond that, the band's sound as a whole is really unique; Thank You Scientist sounds like themselves and nobody else sounds like them. Maybe they sound a bit like Coheed in their poppier elements, and maybe a bit like The Mars Volta in their proggier elements, but I don't think it's fair to say they "sound" like either of them. Influenced by, maybe, but they are very much their own band.

I can play basically the entire album in my head purely from memory because I have, at this point, absorbed this entire album into my being. It is a part of me that I will never let go and it's a fantastic album that, honestly, towers above its influences. And this is their DEBUT ALBUM. Considering the songs I've heard from them that were written after this album, I'm super stoked to hopefully have a follow-up this year. And seeing them live last year with Coheed and Cursive was a fantastic experience as well.

I might be a little biased, but when an album comes along that's this good and refuses to stop being this good after probably 30-40 listens, with little in the way of weak spots, I can't help but obsess over it. Kudos to you, Thank You Scientist, definitely looking forward to more greatness from you guys.

Favorite Tracks: Carnival, My Famed Disappearing Act, Feed the Horses, Blood on the Radio, In the Company of Worms
Least Favorite Track: Suspicious Waveforms

9.75/10

DTF Addendum: Honestly picking between the top 2 was tough. This album's more consistent and is basically responsible for reigniting my love of music in general, but it hasn't had a significant impact on my musical tastes; heck, I wouldn't say it's had any impact at all. It's definitely the album I listened to the most in 2015, though, I'm absolutely positive of that. Anyways you already know what my #1 is but I'll post it later tonight.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #387 on: June 07, 2016, 09:42:41 AM »
Good album indeed, though I wouldn't really score this one nearly as high. It's good, but it only took me a couple of listens to have heard enough of it. Tehy certainly do have a unique sound though, I can appreciate that - and My Famed Disappearing Act is probably the best prog-wank song I have heard in quite some time. Nice write-up as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #388 on: June 07, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »
Good album indeed, though I wouldn't really score this one nearly as high.
Pretty much.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #389 on: June 07, 2016, 09:54:53 AM »
Honestly I LOVE Maps of Non-Existent Places. A really great album and my first great discovery on DTF. I never see any love for A Salesman's Guide to Non-Existence when this album is discussed though. It's probably my favourite track on the album and I love the 1-2 punch of the Intro/SGtN-E!!

Soooooo looking forward to the new album. And hoping to see them when they inevitably tour the UK with Coheed at some point in the future.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #390 on: June 07, 2016, 10:00:35 AM »
Listening to Pelagial at the moment. I like it so far.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #391 on: June 07, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
Pelagial is my favorite album ever.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: June 07, 2016, 10:34:40 AM »
well... not mine  :lol
tbh it's too early for me to call any of these my favorite albums ever I think but we'll see in a year or two

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #393 on: June 07, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
I think one of the most important aspects of how much you like something is how it holds up with time. That's why I never get people who always throw the "This is their best album" in the first week of their favorite band's 11th album release. It's not so much how good it is now, but how good it is 50 listens from now, or 5 years from now.. and so on.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #394 on: June 07, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »
I think one of the most important aspects of how much you like something is how it holds up with time. That's why I never get people who always throw the "This is their best album" in the first week of their favorite band's 11th album release. It's not so much how good it is now, but how good it is 50 listens from now, or 5 years from now.. and so on.

Totally agree. Most of my top albums are ones I've been listening to for years. I can only think of one or two albums I've discovered in the last two years that I'd contemplate putting into my Top 50 Albums. The test of time is the clincher. It's actually why I don't overplay albums that I like too much (unless I can't help it) because it's gutting when you get bored of one of your new favourite albums.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #395 on: June 07, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »
Yeah agreed 100%.
That being said, I can call The Direction of Last Things the best Intronaut album because I've known all the albums for about the same amount of time  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #396 on: June 07, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
Indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #397 on: June 07, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
Bon Jovi and Whitesnake are having a battle in my head over this current thread subject header
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #1: The Power of Music
« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »
#1: Dream Theater - The Astonishing

It's literally the best album ever made.

Favorite Tracks: ALL OF THEM
Least Favorite Tracks: NONE OF THEM

8/5 Nuggets

DTF Addendum: In a mysterious time paradox, I somehow got this in 2015 and it blew my mind.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #399 on: June 07, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
worst list ever -8/5

edit: dammit i used punctuation how could i
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #400 on: June 07, 2016, 04:34:11 PM »
No matter what, The Astonishing is always the real winner of any list really. Special regards to tracks such as Whispers on the Wind, Begin Again, Astonishing and The Hovering Sojourn.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #401 on: June 07, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
No matter what, The Astonishing is always the real winner of any list really. Special regards to tracks such as Whispers on the Wind, Begin Again, Astonishing and The Hovering Sojourn.

You fucking pleb. How dare you not mention A Hymn of Thousand Voices?! The best DT song by far.
No seriously I fucking hate that song.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #402 on: June 07, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
Album of the century.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #1: I'm Not Sorry For That At All
« Reply #403 on: June 07, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »
#1: East of the Wall - The Apologist

This album... basically dominated the last quarter of the year for me. Gave it a listen or two on youtube, was like "this seems pretty cool", bought it, listened to it for a week or two, enjoyed it a fair bit but didn't fall in love with it quite yet. But it stayed on my mind, and eventually I went back and relistened to it... and then listened to it again, and again... and every time it just got better and better.

There's just so much to this album. A brilliant display of technicality without sacrificing songwriting. A variety of styles and sounds while still maintaining a cohesive core sound. A tightness in the songwriting where nothing overstays its welcome nor does any idea feel underdeveloped. A raw intensity balanced out with moments of true beauty. And an absolute fantastic flow between the tracks on the album such that they all stand out on their own yet each transition between tracks feels effortless.

Honestly, it'd be easier to list out all the things on this album that don't work than the things that do. A Functional Tumor is a bit of an underachiever of a track, it'd be a fine song on any other album but here it's definitely lacking the punch of the other tracks. And Nurser of Small Hurts has a guitar tone I don't really care for. I... legitimately can't think of a single other element of this album that I don't absolutely adore at this point.

I'd be here all day if I listed out every last moment on this album that works well, so I'm going to try and keep this succinct by only listing out the best of the best.

First off, the vocals. Both the clean vocals and harsh vocals have a ton of moments. The clean singing throughout is very melodic and generally has a strong amount of emotive presence to it as well; probably my favorite moments are the opening vocals of Naif and the cleans throughout Whiskey Sipper, but the title track comes close. As far as the harsh vocals go, the "Let Go" and "Don't Walk Without" moments of The Apologist absolutely floor me every time, and the harsh vocals at the start of Underachiever are particularly intense as well. Bamberger is really the best post-metal style harsh vocalist I can think of, though, he just nails the style so well.

The guitars. I'd really be here all day if I listed out every single moment. Between the atmospheric, post-rock style clean guitars, the heavy and catchy riffs, and the guitar leads all throughout the album, there's a ton to love. For cleaner moments, special mention of course has to be given to the break in the middle of Linear Failure, especially that guitar solo. The Apologist has a ton of lovely clean work, especially the somber line at the end of the track. As far as riffs go... Naif opens with one heck of a sludgy riff, Linear Failure has two different killer riffs, one in the first half and one in the second half, False Build has a chuggy strummy riff and a sludgier one near the end, Precious Memories has a guitar-driven main motif that rules, The Apologist has one of the best damn riffs I've ever heard, and Underachiever starts out with another great sludgy riff.

And then any guitar part that doesn't really qualify as either atmospheric or a riff... both Running Tab and Horseback Riding have a lot of focus on guitar lines, especially dissonant ones, though they're both quite heavy as well. And Underachiever manages to create a ton of sound and frantic energy using no heavy riffs at all, just really noodly guitars alongside the other instruments.

The bass on this album may be the greatest show-stealer of them all, though. From the very first track, there's an amazing bass groove right before the vocals kick in. False Build has an outright bass lead in its intro, which is always great to hear. The title track has one of the best jagged bass grooves I've ever heard in its intro, as well. And the bass is the primary force behind the strong groove of Running Tab of Sweetness, with another strong bass groove backing Horseback Riding. There's a neat dissonant bassline in Nurser of Small Hurts, and the bass forms the backbone of the chaos of Underachiever, even having a moment to itself without the guitars.

Even aside from its highlights though, the bass is just absolutely essential to how well this album works. It's mixed high, but never overpoweringly so; it provides all the tracks with a very full and heavy sound and the tone on the bass is just incredible, wouldn't even ask for it to be slightly different.

Last but not least are the drums, and Rheam is easily the most talented player of the entire group - which is saying something. Highlights would be basically anything from Linear Failure, the intensity of the drums near the end of Precious Memories, the build at the end of The Apologist, the driving grooves of Running Tab and Horseback Riding, the frantic drumming in the quieter moments of Whiskey Sipper, and the pure chaos of Underachiever. I could point to basically any random moment of the album and find a really cool drum moment, though; never overwhelming, fitting the mood of the music well, and just being technically satisfying.

Of course, it's not like the instruments work their magic separately; the real strength of this album's music is how well they all intertwine. This is ESPECIALLY obvious on the two instrumentals, Running Tab of Sweetness and Horseback Riding in a Bicycle World, as well as how everything comes together for the chaos of Underachiever, but again, I can point to basically any moment of the album and find a great balance of all the different instruments. One thing I neglected to mention are the horns at the end of Underachiever, which just give that climactic moment even more swell.

So yes, this album is technically pleasing on every level, but is it emotionally potent? Heck yes. Maybe not in the "I'm sad" or "I'm happy" way, but damn do these tracks have power. The one track that falls a little flat on me is the track that doesn't have as much emotive presence to it, but it's not devoid of it either. There's somber moments on The Apologist and Whiskey Sipper, and even a triumphant moment at the end of Underachiever. I will say that if you're primarily a "feels" kind of person when it comes to music, then this may not be the strongest album for you but you'll still get a lot out of it regardless.

Every time I listen to this album I'm just taken aback, there's always something new to spot and fall in love with. It's technically pleasing, emotionally raw and powerful, moody as heck, and just one of the most satisfying albums I've ever listened to. Get back to me in a few years and I'll probably be calling it my favorite album of all time. About as close to perfection as I could ever expect anyone to ever get, really.

Favorite Tracks: The Apologist, Underachiever, Whiskey Sipper, Linear Failure, Running Tab of Sweetness, False Build, Horseback Riding in a Bicycle World, Naif, Precious Memories
Least Favorite Tracks: A Functional Tumor, Nurser of Small Hurts

9.75/10

DTF Addendum: Well, duh. SURPRISE. I can totally understand why nobody else has taken to this like I have since this is the kind of album that feels like it appeals specifically to me and my musical tastes but it's still disappointing. Losers.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2016, 05:18:06 PM »
My attempt to guess your top 5:
1. East of the Wall - The Apologist
2. Thank you Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places
3. The Ocean - Pelagial
4. Bent Knee - Shiny Eyed Babies
5. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
4 out of 5, even nailed the order. I want my prize  :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2016, 05:20:06 PM »
you have my RYM page and i'm pretty sure you looked there  :corn
anyways
If someone can get like 3 of the top 5 right I'll at least check out an album recommendation on youtube or something I dunno.
i'll listen to it this weekend or something dunno

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »
I was tempted to include Cursive in the top 5 but it'd have been a bit too obvious :P

Lemme think of something.... maybe some harsh noise...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »
it was already pretty obvious

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: June 07, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
 :'(

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #409 on: June 07, 2016, 07:25:30 PM »
Thank You Scientist>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SCREAMING EVERY SINGLE THING WITH THE BASS BEING LOUDER THAN THE VOCALIST
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline 425

« Reply #410 on: June 07, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
^ I mean yeah.

Glad you have something to like, though, Parama.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #411 on: June 07, 2016, 07:31:25 PM »
I'm going to send some paramacore in the next round of your roulette, splent, as I will be getting eliminated after

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: June 07, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »
Thank You Scientist>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>growls over calm sections
Pretty much.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #413 on: June 07, 2016, 08:46:55 PM »
Yes except screaming at the top of your lungs isn't growling
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #414 on: June 07, 2016, 11:11:29 PM »
screams and growls are pretty different imo, I dislike screams

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: June 08, 2016, 01:22:20 AM »
I haven't really delved into this band even though they have been on my radar for a while and I heard a few tracks a few years ago, but this album is on my list to check out at some point.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #416 on: June 08, 2016, 02:09:47 AM »
Underachiever is :2metal:

screams and growls are pretty different imo
Yeah

I don't dislike one or another, it just comes down to the context in which they're used. On this album it seemed odd at first but it has started to grow on me.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #417 on: June 08, 2016, 02:54:38 AM »
I'm listening to this on the way to work right now and I think it's very good. I don't think I will finish the album before I reach work, as my commute is shorter than the album. I'm currently at the title-track and liking what I hear.
Squ

Offline 425

« Reply #418 on: June 08, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
screams and growls are pretty different imo, I dislike screams

But isn't it screams on this album, not growls? That's certainly what I remember. I also dislike screams.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: June 08, 2016, 07:40:36 AM »
y'all are wusses if you dislike screams/growls  :yarr