Author Topic: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #1: I'm Not Sorry For That At All  (Read 30878 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #8: The Djent Awakens
« Reply #350 on: June 05, 2016, 04:54:44 PM »
Seconding that.

IMO this album/EP is a way better attempt at what The Contortionist's Language was aiming for, but more ambient and soft, and beautiful.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #7: Reach Out and Touch the Sky~
« Reply #351 on: June 05, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »
#7: Enslaved - RIITIIR

I got to have the experience of having this album just reeeally click with me last night while typing up my song-by-song review, so, spoilers: This is gonna be a pretty positive review. But honestly, how can it not be when an album is as unfailingly good as this album? Honestly, I can't recall a single weak moment on the album's entire runtime. That's not to say it's perfect, since while there are no weak moments, there also isn't a huge amount of really fantastic moments, but a lack of top-quality music isn't really a problem when there's a consistent high quality throughout.

More than anything else, this album just flat-out ROCKS. Like, in the sense of "there are a ton of great riffs here". Every last song has at least a few great riffs in it, and because of the nature of the songwriting on this album you get to hear them plenty, and... they don't get old, really. Possibly the best riff on the entire album is the verse riff of the title track, which already has a nice groove to it even before the last two measures of each bar, which have just the coolest, most addictive groove to them.

Other notable riffs on the album, then. At 4:45 of Death in the Eyes of Dawn, there's this strummy riff that drives a really intense section. Veilburner has a really groovy and classy verse riff that I love. Roots of the Mountain has a really intense intro riff and a really groovy riff later on after the first chorus. RIITIIR's intro riff is also quite cool, as well as the chorus riff. Honestly this song is just a constant stream of great guitar work. Materal has a really sludgy verse riff and a really grand riff under its guitar solo. The chorus riff of Storm of Memories is addictively groovy. Forsaken alternates between two quite intense riffs in its earlier moments, both of which are just really driving and great.

And even the guitar work that's not awesome riffs tends to still be pretty great. Every guitar solo on the album is killer, a nice mixture of shred and melody, though special mention has to go to the solo in Roots of the Mountain for bringing the first half of the song to a great climax. There's also a number of nice quieter guitar moments; a somber break in the middle of Thoughts Like Hammers, a restrained and sinister guitar line in Death in the Eyes of Dawn, a clean reprise of the chorus of Roots of the Mountain, and the long, melancholic outro of Forsaken with its twin guitar lines. There's even a few moments of nice guitar leads; the intro line of Death in the Eyes of Dawn, as well as a noodly guitar bit that comes in over the intense riff of the same song, a pretty frantic guitar line building up to the bass break of Roots of the Mountain, an off-kilter and dissonant guitar line near the end of RIITIIR, and the hypnotic guitar line at the start of Storm of Memories.

Don't let me oversell the guitar though because the drums on this album are absolutely a key ingredient in making this album work so well. The drumming is quite diverse and probably one of the biggest factors in driving the mood. There's some especially intense moments; the intro of Thoughts Like Hammers, the driving chorus of Veilburner, the beastly intro of Roots of the Mountain, the brutal verses of Storm of Memories, and the manic riffing at the start of Forsaken. There's way, way more great laidback grooves though; the booming massive middle section of Veilburner, the bass groove section in the middle of Roots of the Mountain, the groovy rhythm of the second verse of RIITIIR, the pounding sludgy drumming of Materal, the driving intro and chorus groove of Storm of Memories. A few other really notable drum moments are the intro of RIITIIR, probably the most technical and all-over-the-place drumming but it's really fun to listen to, and the build back to the epic climax of Forsaken with some punchy snare rolls.

The bass is sadly a little underutilized on this album, often just buried too low in the mix to make out or have many shining moments. The most notable moments would be the thick bassline at the start of Veilburner, the excellent bass groove of Roots of the Mountain, and the long, hypnotic intro of Storm of Memories, where all the little variations keep things interesting. Some cool moments but really underutilized.

The vocals on this album cover a lot of ground. I'm honestly not a huge fan of this kind of growled vocals, a little too raspy for my taste, but they don't get in the way here. The coolest moments are when they work with the cleaner vocals, really; the last chorus of Roots of the Mountain is as climactic as it is because of the combination of the two. There's also some tradeoffs between the two in Thoughts Like Hammers, as well as the massive combination of harsh and cleans in the middle of Veilburner. Probably my favorite purely harsh moment is the climax of Forsaken, which just sounds wonderfully strained and intense. Vocally though the highlight here for me are the cleans; especially moments of harmonization. The huge chorus of Death in the Eyes of Dawn as well as the amazing chorus of Roots of the Mountain, the stretched-out verses of RIITIIR and the "feel the flames inside of you" mantra of the second chorus, some interesting vocal rhythms complimenting the groove in the middle of Materal, the catchy chorus of Storm of Memories. I am also pretty partial to the somber vocals at the end of Forsaken, they help create a pretty bleak tone.

Another thing the album does a lot and does well is reprising; there's a ton of moments where one idea is reprised in a different context and it's always a pleasure to catch. The sinister guitar line of Death in the Eyes of Dawn gets later reprised in a heavier context, Roots of the Mountain has different choruses every single time, and there's also this synth bit near the start that gets reprised on guitar about 2/3rds of the way through, the second chorus of RIITIIR which adds vocals mimicking the guitar line, and the reprise of the grand riff under Materal's solo later in a clean-sung passage. I just love this kind of stuff and I'm happy to see the band do it as frequently as they have.

I also just want to point out a moment in particular I feel like I've skimmed over thus far; the intro of Storm of Memories. It's so dang cool. Yeah, it's literally the same thing repeated for 3 minutes... with lots of textures and little samples coming in and building up into just this insanely unsettling vibe and you never know how long they're going to keep going until it finally changes up. Chills, man. A song composed of three distinct musical passages should not be as good as this song is, seriously.

But yeah, on the whole... there's a lot to like about this album, only a few truly breathtaking moments but more than enough killer grooves and banging riffs to make up for it, and each song has its own identity while still keeping a pretty solid core sound throughout the album. It's honestly an album that pretty well speaks for itself though, surprisingly straightforward even for its progressive tendencies, but I think that works out pretty dang well in its favor. Definitely an album worth checking out, though, for really any fan of metal who can tolerate a decent bit of growls.

Favorite Tracks: Roots of the Mountain, Storm of Memories, Forsaken, RIITIIR, Materal, Veilburner
Least Favorite Tracks: None. Every track is great.

9/10

DTF Addendum: So this album legitimately clicked hardcore with me while I was doing the review for it. I almost worry it's underrated here now but maybe I'll revisit it and rate it higher later; I still feel the 6 above it are better anyways, but this is still great.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #6: The Infinite Expanse
« Reply #354 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:45 AM »
#6: Alrakis - Alpha Eri

I think what really caught my ear from this album initially was the ambient tracks. I do dig me some nice ambient, and the two here... yeah, they're top-notch. I'd listen to a completely ambient album from Alrakis if they made one, and probably love it.

Funnily enough though that's not the part of the album I've come to appreciate the most, though. The black metal tracks here, actually... well. This is going to be a super-biased review because this is an album I had an -experience- with that basically painted every other listen to it from there on.

I was just sitting and listening to this album while not really doing much else, waiting at an airport and all. And I was half-asleep while doing so. Somewhere during the third track I just spaced out entirely and lost awareness of time completely, just taking in the music and feeling like I was floating in the void of space that this album so perfectly portrays. I wasn't brought back to earth until the ambient tracks, but... man, that was just one heck of an experience.

That's not to say the music isn't deserving of any credit otherwise, because it's kind of gorgeously beautiful. Alrakis has a specific sound for their black metal, and while, yes, all four tracks are kind of interchangeable in their spacey sound, I think that's why it works well. They're all different tracks; M20 is probably the spaciest, Gas und Staub the most hypnotic, Sternenstaub the most dissonant, and Verteilung the most desperate (those vocals especially...) and the way they're ordered is probably what makes the journey in itself so effective.

If I had any knocks against this album... hmm. NGC 3242 isn't quite as good as NGC 6611 but both are still wonderful pieces of ambient music. The production could be maaaaybe a touch sharper. The vocals, while effective, aren't my favorite, but at the same time they're not too prevalent (only 3 of the 7 tracks have any at all and even then there's many moments without them). And as previously mentioned the black metal tracks are not especially distinguishable.

But in the end... these are all just nitpicks, honestly. Of all the black metal releases I got this year, this one is easily my favorite, the one I most desperately wanted to get my hands on, the album I paid the most to obtain out of every album I purchased this year. And it was definitely worth it.

Favorite tracks: M20, NGC 6611, Verteilung der Nebel im Raum
Least favorite tracks: Alpha Eri, Gas und Staub zwischen den Sternen

9.25/10

DTF Addendum: Best black metal I've ever heard, and best ambient I've ever heard. Pretty well convinced I'm never going to find a black metal album this good again. Also, yes, the album cover is a totally weird size. It's actually like that.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #355 on: June 06, 2016, 01:02:57 AM »
Sounds like I could dig it, though I'm not a big fan of ambient. The cover looks a bit train-repellant aswell but I could give this a try :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: June 06, 2016, 01:17:14 AM »
yeah the image of the artist is pretty hilarious too tbh but the music itself is g r e a t

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #8: The Djent Awakens
« Reply #357 on: June 06, 2016, 01:46:57 AM »
Anyhow the album cover of the last one was pretty cool. Obligatory "lolprog" comment but yeah, nice cover

Yes, the album cover for ECO is probably my favorite album cover of all time.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #358 on: June 06, 2016, 02:05:25 AM »
I had a month or so when I was really into Enslaved. Riitiir was great, their most recent album was good and I also checked out the one before Riitiir which was also good. Then I lost interest a bit, but Riitiir is still a great album for my money.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #5: Captain America: Civil War
« Reply #359 on: June 06, 2016, 09:15:34 AM »
#5: Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

I like a lot of complex, technical music, but a lot of the time it's the simplest stuff that can hit the hardest. Especially when it's maturely written emo with post-hardcore leanings, apparently, this is not the only really great album I heard in the last year that matches that description. But yeah, this album has a ton of emotional depth, really fantastic hooks, and it doesn't need the most impressive of instrumentation to make it work.

Really, the selling point of this album, more than anything else, is the vocal performance. Moody and powerful, often strained and emotional, sometimes sarcastic and bitter, both pretty and rough at different points. It's just a very dynamic performance all across the album. Lacey is clearly not the greatest singer technically but he sells nearly every word he sings by how into it he sounds.

Of course the performance itself is matched by a ridiculous amount of strong vocal melodies, both on the hooks and basically everywhere else on the album. It'd be redundant to go over every last moment, so how about the highlights of each track. Sowing Season... definitely the back half of the second chorus, really intense stuff, though the final verse comes damn close. Millstone has a great chorus, pretty catchy, and the "whoa oh ohh"s in the background add a nice layer. Jesus is amazing vocally front-to-back, honestly, but I'll say the escalating bridge is slighty above the rest. Degausser, I can't go without mentioning two different moments; when the group vocals hit on the back half of the second verse is just a breathtaking mkment, and the back half of the second chorus is really intense. Limousine is... screw it, everything is absolutely stellar, but my favorite moment has to be the "yeah you were right about me" section right before the long build, though seriously, this song is utterly flawless in basically every regard so it's not "better" than any other moment. You Won't Know is really strong in its more intense verses and choruses once the song explodes into life, Not the Sun has a fantastic chorus but the bridge following the second chorus is easily the highlight of the song, an oddly serious moment in a rather playful track that works wonderfully. Luca's vocal highlight is easily the somber and sinister bridge that ends with an explosive final line. The Arches Bows Have Broken, definitely the chorus, really great chorus for sure. Handcuffs, again the chorus, really potent stuff in its somberness. Whew. That's still a lot, but it's hard to not mention all these great moments, I feel like I've skimmed over a few too many even still.

Of course, Lacey does have some pretty great instrumentation backing his performances. There's a lot of really somber acoustic guitar moments; the intro of Sowing Season, as well as the intro of Limousine, the somber bridge of Luca, and most of Handcuffs. There's a ton of explosive and intense moments, too; the chorus of Sowing Season is massive, as is the chorus of Degausser (especially the back half of the second chorus), Limousine has an explosive moment in its first half and of course that amazing build in its back half, You Won't Know hits like a wall of bricks when it kicks in, Not the Sun's bridge is massive and climactic, and the end of Luca is a screamingly loud moment punctuating a quieter and more sinister song. And there's playful and energetic moments driven by bass and drum grooves; most notably Not the Sun and The Arches Bows Have Broken, the former just having a ton of groove, the latter being easily the most upbeat song on the album, a frantic energy running throughout it that felt a little out of place at first but really grew on me.

Really, the only moments of weakness on this album are when the focus is too much on the instrumentation; neither instrumental track is especially impressive, both feel kind of like filler to be honest. You Won't Know's main guitar line also gets a bit overused throughout the song, and the bridge of that song is a bit ehh but it's still a pretty solid song on the whole. There... really isn't much to say negatively about this album, though; it definitely doesn't overstay its welcome, and there's no outright bad moments here.

I don't talk much about lyrics but feel I should at least mention them here; I like them, in general. Limousine, especially, is just a really mature handling of its subject matter, even more heartbreaking due to being based on real events. Jesus is another particularly touching track on the whole. Not the Sun is really fun for its sarcastic tone, with the really blunt lyrics of the bridge providing a nice contrast. Handcuffs, I really like the sentiment of the chorus especially. You Won't Know is probably the only song that feels a bit too melodramatic but I'll admit I haven't read into most of the lyrics of this album too deeply.

But yes, on the whole; I'd say, go ahead and believe the hype, 'cause really this album deserves it. Not by showing off any technical chops, not by trying to make you pity the band members through any lyrics; just damn good songwriting that sticks in your head and never seems to get old. I've spun this album probably 20+ times and the songs still hit hard and stay fresh, especially of course Limousine, which, for the record, is the best song I heard in 2015. Great album, definitely recommended.

Favorite Tracks: Limousine, Jesus, Degausser, Not the Sun, Handcuffs, Sowing Season, Millstone, The Archers Bows Have Broken
Least Favorite Tracks: Welcome to Bangkok, You Won't Know

9.25/10

DTF Addendum: Oh hey, it's the album with the best song I heard this year on it. Go figure it's up this high. And dang that's a lot of favorite tracks innit. Yeah, the top 5 are all just, really good stuff...

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #360 on: June 06, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
It is definitely #1 album I discovered in 2015 :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: June 06, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
Yeah this album is awesome. But Welcome to Bangkok is not filler at all  :angry:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: June 06, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
yeah they don't put filler on their albums etc it's kinda dull and pointless though imo which is what filler tends to be like

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: June 06, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
I used to really love this album but I have to say my interest in revisiting it has gone away with time and if I re-did my top50 albums today, this would not be in it anymore. But still, great album.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #364 on: June 06, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Really loving the two Enslaved albums I downloaded recently (Vertebrae and In Times) to give this band a shot. Will definitely be getting some more albums, starting with RIITIIR by the looks of it  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
#4: Cursive - The Ugly Organ

Man, this album really snuck up on me. I only got this album basically as a fluke. These guys were going to be the third act at a Coheed and TYS show I saw in October, and then the album was there when I went to a CD Warehouse, so I figured I might as well.

Probably the best fluke purchase I've ever made. This album is... probably oversharing in how personal and emotional it is, but that's part of the appeal. This is just an intensely emotionally charged album front-to-back, and it works because the music is so. damn. good. Tightly written tracks with strong hooks and interesting instrumentation. Add emotional depth to that mix and you've got yourself a winner.

What elements of these songs work? Well, one of the most prominent aspects of these songs is the use of dissonance throughout. Some Red Handed Sleight of Hand has an off-kilter organ line running through it, Butcher the Song is entirely about its dissonance and weirdness, A Gentleman Caller has some noisy horns in its first half, and Bloody Murderer has a dissonant main line that actually doesn't work too well; it mostly makes the song feel awkward. In the other cases though, it's used quite well; the organ in Red Handed especially sets the tone well, and Butcher the Song is just a fascinating song because of its bassline.

There's basically two kinds of tracks here: Heavier upbeat tracks and more relaxed ballad tracks. Sometimes you get both at once, especially A Gentleman Caller which is probably the heaviest track on the album until halfway through where it becomes the prettiest. Driftwood: A Fairy Tale also builds up from a ballad track into a pretty intense song by the end, the build of this track is what makes it as good as it is. There's two short interlude tracks, true, and as well Harold Weathervein and Bloody Murderer both stray from this a little, being a bit more... avant-garde and, kind of out of place, not very engaging. It's really these two tracks that hold this album back from a 5-star, I really don't care for either of them, whereas everything else is on a completely different level.

I think one of the strongest points of this album is its lyrics, oddly enough for me. There's a few tracks here that I feel are almost too personal for me to be listening to; Butcher the Song and ESPECIALLY Sierra, which I feel like I should not be any part of, but how personal the music is is what makes it strike with the emotional depth it does have. If the details were vague or the scenarios less personal, I think this would still be a good record, but not as effective as it is now. Other songs of lyrical note are The Recluse, which has some wonderful poetry to it, Driftwood and its puppet anecdote about sex, A Gentleman Caller for its wild mood swings, and Staying Alive for providing a satisfying release to the anger of the rest of the album. Seriously, no better way to end an album this charged than with a long, drawn-out release of tension, I almost wish this track was longer but really it's fine as-is.

Another thing I can definitely say is that every track here is utterly unique, even the ones I don't care for as much. The Recluse and Driftwood are both softer tracks on the whole but sound nothing alike. Harold Weathervein and Bloody Murderer are two different types of awkward; the former is basically just an unfinished demo while the latter is more fleshed out, just sloppy in execution. And the heavier tracks are all distinct; Red Handed in its energy, Art is Hard in its playfulness, Butcher in its bitterness, Gentleman in its chaos, Sierra in its anger. Every song has its place. Even the two short interlude tracks work pretty well, and there's a number of similar moments scattered throughout the rest of the album as well.

There's just so many powerful moments on here, all tightly wrapped in a 40-minute package that is never boring and rarely even frustrating. It's an emotional journey, but one well worth taking over and over, one that leaves me satisfied with every listen. It's not a flawless album, but take away the two awkward tracks that sum up to only 6 minutes in total and it probably would be. Between the quality of this album and seeing these guys live, I'm definitely going to have to look into their other work sometime soon.

Favorite Tracks: Driftwood: A Fairy Tale, A Gentleman Caller, Butcher the Song, Staying Alive, The Recluse
Least Favorite Tracks: Harold Weathervein, Bloody Murderer

9.25/10

DTF Addendum: I will be perpetually disappointed that nobody else has taken to any Cursive songs I've sent in roulettes as much as I have but to be fair it does work better as an album than individual songs. That being said, the individual songs are still fantastic, so...

Offline 425

I thought I recognized the name of this artist, and I realized that you sent me Driftwood: A Fairy Tale as a bonus song after the Championship. I'm really terrible about listening to the bonus songs people send me, and I need to just take some time and go through them all. But seeing that this album made your top 4 made me go ahead and give this song a couple of listens. I think it's pretty good! I'll have to listen to it a little more to really get a feel for it, but I definitely like the track. Not sure the whole album will be my thing just based on some of your descriptions and the last full minute the track, but I may well give it a shot. This song is definitely a good one that's already sticking in my head.

And I see what you mean about the lyrics being pretty personal, just following along with the words to this one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you'd probably like The Recluse a lot tbh

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't think you'd like Butcher the Song tho  :tup

Offline 425

I don't think you'd like Butcher the Song tho  :tup

Butcher the Song is entirely about its dissonance and weirdness

Yeah, probably not. I'll try to check out a couple of these tomorrow, though.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Sacul is a loser tho tbh
but yeah don't check out A Gentleman Caller or Butcher the Song tbh, go check out Art is Hard or something

Offline 425

I mean I'll probably check at least one of the ones that I'm not supposed to like eventually so that I can decide if this is an album I'm going to buy or not.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #3: Far Beyond the Point of No Return
« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2016, 01:19:09 AM »
#3: The Ocean - Pelagial

Man, this album is the definition of a grower. When I first heard it, I thought it was alright, nothing amazing but I got it on a whim afterwards, and kept listening to it, and... well, practically every time it got better and better, somehow. Post-metal and Prog metal apparently seem like two genres just made for each other and this is probably the most balanced combination of the two I've heard thus far.

I think the strength lies partially in the track progression, getting heavier and darker as the album progresses, but also in the fact that damn near every song is great nor do any songs outshine the others. It's a very tightly-written album that doesn't waste space even when the tracks themselves get more sprawling and deep in the back half of the album.

Also of note, I will be referring to every song by its surname rather than the full name, since it's much easier and much less typing to do so, and it's still easy to tell which song I'm talking about where. Just a note before I get into discussing the songs proper.

The most important thing about the album is its structure, and the flow of the songs. Epipelagic provides a soft, ambient beginning, with Into the Uncanny ranging the full spectrum from beginning to end, starting quiet and atmospheric and eventually building into crushing heaviness. And from there the album escalates, song by song - each of the Bathyalpelagic songs aims to outdo the previous in heaviness and intensity, and it's not until the album comes full circle at Boundless Vasts do we get a bit of a release of tension. From there, the album builds in intensity again to Cognitive Dissonance, which phases out energy and replaces it with a sluggish, crushing heaviness that ends the album out. It's really a ride and because the album structure is so important, it leaves each and every song in a unique place - the heaviness of the first half is a completely different beast from the heaviness of the second half.

Of course, that wouldn't work if the songs themselves weren't great on their own, but... practically every last one would be a huge standout on most other albums - here that's merely the standard. I'll get the weaker tracks out of the way first; Omen of the Deep more exists as a bridge between two tracks than as its own track, and it's okay on its own but doesn't have time to do much of anything. And The Origin of Our Wishes, the final track, fails to live up to the rest of the album - it's somehow too mindlessly heavy without being heavy enough at times; its "verses" especially are lacking a "full" sound that they really would need to work, but it does end pretty well.

One interesting feature of this album is the occasional fantastic chorus; not all songs feature one, but the choruses that do appear are always really powerful and evocative. The Wish in Dreams has a frantic and powerful chorus courtesy of the song's dissonant guitar leads and frantic drumwork. Signals of Anxiety succeeds in raw power and beauty alone, absolutely breathtaking highlight of the track. And Let Them Believe uses its chorus as a climax for the songs two circles of rising and falling intensity, and it's definitely a worthy climax.

Another recurring feature is excellent riffs. The main riff of Into the Uncanny that appears right before the first verse is such a good riff that I'd love to see an entire song based around it, and they knew how good it was since Boundless Vasts later reprises that entire section. Impasses both starts out with a cool riff and the entire second half is based around almost djenty rhythmic riffing that works way better than it has any right to. Let Them Believe has a cool groove of a main riff that's flowing through most every part of the song, and Cognitive Dissonance has a jagged and harsh riff that I've never gotten sick of, followed by a fantastic sludgy and almost doom-metal ending riff. That's to say nothing for the variety of other great riffs scattered throughout the album.

But the real draw that keeps this band distinct in my mind is the emotional presence of the album. Even aside from the aforementioned choruses, this album is moody as all heck. Into the Uncanny is a delicate balance of quieter, prettier and atmospheric moments and intense heavier moments. The middle section of Impasses has probably the best moment of the entire album, a piano line with the rest of the band building behind it; the way the heavier guitar kicks in is downright chilling, especially accompanying the "I don't believe in anything... but I believe in you" vocal delivery. Disequillibrated builds into probably the most frantic moments of the entire disc, bordering on death metal, and the harsh vocals bring the intensity they need to be effective. Boundless Vasts uses the framework of previous tracks only to subvert them, instead building down to a soft and somber atmosphere. Even outside of the chorus, Signals of Anxiety has tons of emotional presence, washed-out and reverb-soaked harsh vocals delivering the verses over the quiet atmosphere of guitar and piano. Let The Believe is just an utter emotional rollercoaster, building up and down, up and down, though its slight flaw is that it doesn't quite reach the emotional climax at the end that it feels like it deserves. And Cognitive Dissonance ends on an absolutely visceral note, a complete breakdown of any hope remaining on the album.

I'm trying to touch on absolutely everything this album has to offer, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention all the little things. The subtleties, the small musical ideas, the things that takes this from being a great album to an amazing one. From the very first track, the primary elements are piano and watery sound samples, but there's some lovely strings and subtle drumwork adding to that atmosphere. As far as Into the Uncanny goes, my favorite "little" thing is the punchy guitar riffs at the end of every bar in the second verse. The Wish in Dreams has a nice little piano interlude at the end between it and Disequillibrated that serves as a nice breather. Boundless Vasts brings back some more lovely strings in its quieter moments, and Signals of Anxiety has nice tiny little synth melody between the second verse and second chorus that I just adore. Let Them Believe is just jam-packed with these tiny things; the intro has a twinkly synth line and some more subtle strings, there's a very electronic synth doing some noodling under the first postchorus, and beyond that there's so many tiny little changes between the first and second loops of the song's structure that I cant even list them all. As far as Cognitive Dissonance goes, there's an atmospheric section in the middle with a stellar bass groove, and the track ends with a gorgeous synth interlude over some more watery samples. It's a nice little breather between the last two tracks.

I'm actually really disappointed that an instrumental version of the album comes bundled with it, I feel like the album loses a lot without the vocals. On one hand, because of the high quality of everything else here, the vocals end up being the weakest element, but the songs feel empty without them, even as dense as they are. I only ever listened to this version once though, and it's not like I'm ever forced to listen to it, so it doesn't factor into the album's final score.

I've completely and utterly failed to keep this as succinct as I'd prefer, but that's because there's just so much to talk about - so many things worth pointing out because this is a dense and fantastic album utterly jam-packed with ideas and raw power, yet smart enough to be layered and subtle at every opportunity it gets. The most recent listen of this album I did during reviewing feels like the best listen I've gotten of this album yet, and I feel like the next one's only going to be even better; it's amazing how much replay value this album has.

Favorite Tracks: Let Them Believe, Into the Uncanny, Impasses, Signals of Anxiety, Cognitive Dissonance, The Wish in Dreams
Least Favorite Tracks: The Origin of Our Wishes, Omen of the Deep

9.5/10

DTF Addendum: This kind of crept up on me, but in a good way. I actually didn't go into this with that high of expectations and BAM there it is, #3 purchase of the year. First one to hit a 5 star rating on this list, too. Yeah. Only wish the ending was better. Also, never listen to the instrumental version ever, there's no point.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #373 on: June 07, 2016, 01:28:34 AM »
The Ugly Organ hhhh...
ok
I promise I will check something by The Ocean in the upcoming days. It is one of bands Last.fm is recommending to me for a long time.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #374 on: June 07, 2016, 01:31:59 AM »
Seriously one of the best albums I discovered last year, if not the best.

The thing as a whole was a big grower yeah, though some separate songs clicked with me from the start, like Let Them Believe and Into The Uncanny.

So your top 2 is Maps at #2 and The Apologist at #1 right
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2016, 02:13:15 AM »
Pelagial was a really good album, even though I consider The Ocean to be a step below Neurosis, Isis and Cult of Luna on the Post Metal scale.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2016, 02:42:39 AM »
Pelagial is in fact technically one massive song. Awesome album :)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2016, 02:43:57 AM »
Did I send you this one?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #378 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:23 AM »
I listened to this twice and found it incredibly boring. It might be a grower but I'm just not gonna invest time in it because nothing really sparked my attention during the first two listens.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #379 on: June 07, 2016, 04:01:42 AM »
Cursive - The Ugly Organ, sounds like something I would like. Already been listening to Pelegial for a few weeks now thanks to Mikemangioy's roulette. Really good album.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2016, 05:04:51 AM »
Did I send you this one?

I sent the instrumental version of a song of Bathyapelagic to someone but I don't remember in which roulette..
Cognitive Dissonance is one of my favourite songs with only growls, I normally don't like those songs but that one is awesome

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2016, 05:06:11 AM »
I have sent songs from Pelagial before, usually I send Let Them Believe.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2016, 05:21:48 AM »
Did I send you this one?
I sent the instrumental version of a song of Bathyapelagic to someone but I don't remember in which roulette..
You sent a song off Anthropocentric to me after the roulette I think, or maybe it was Precambriam, but it wasn't an instrumental. And I ended up enjoying Pelagial the most anyways :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »
Pelagial was a really good album, even though I consider The Ocean to be a step below Neurosis, Isis and Cult of Luna on the Post Metal scale.
it's a good thing Pelagial is not trying to be anything like standard post-metal then  :corn
also yeah it was lordcost who sent them but i'd already listened to the album once before then, tbh  :lol

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2016, 08:57:57 AM »
I didn't mean any offense in that tho, I'd consider those "holy three" to be among my favorite bands (top50 or so at least). The Ocean is a band I was somewhat lukewarm on (some great, some alright stuff) but Pelagial was indeed a really good album, and I can't wait to see where they go from there. I'd say comfortably their best album.