Author Topic: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #1: I'm Not Sorry For That At All  (Read 30852 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #12: Return of the Djent
« Reply #315 on: June 04, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
I became a casual fan of David short after he released Bilo 2.0, but with 3.0 he just blew me away - as you said, a very organic, full-of-life sound that was missing on his previous releases, plus tons of creativity. One of my favourite albums ever  :hefdaddy

Smile is the second best song there tho  :loser:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #316 on: June 04, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »
i like that we can all disagree about  ;D

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #317 on: June 04, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
Apart from Cloudkicker/Periphery I haven't really gotten into Djent and I feel kinda apprehensive about it. It definitely feels like a genre where, if you have done it, you have done all there is to it. It's not really a genre you can do much with. I found both Tesseract and Animals as Leaders to be pretty darn boring but maybe this is better. Still, I feel like Prog Metal is moving into the wrong direction with Djent. It needs to get more exciting, not less exciting.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: June 04, 2016, 07:20:07 PM »
I found both Tesseract and Animals as Leaders to be pretty darn boring but maybe this is better.
This is nothing like those mentioned bands, and barely djent anyways. I think you'd like it, it's a very creative and varied record :P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #319 on: June 04, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
I found both Tesseract and Animals as Leaders to be pretty darn boring

:facepalm: :loser: :facepalm:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #11: Self-Titled
« Reply #320 on: June 04, 2016, 07:31:33 PM »
#11: Intronaut - The Direction of Last Things
#3 for 2015

The Direction of Last Things is actually the last album from my 2015 collection to be properly reviewed. Partially by intention, as I pegged it for the last one by the time I had about 5 albums left to go, but mostly by coincidence. And man, what a great album to end on. It's the kind of album that pretty well sums up my year; a lot of intense and jagged instrumental jams, some really gorgeous soundscapes both light and heavy, and pretty easily the peak of this band's career - it's a good one.

This is easily their heaviest album since Prehistoricisms, maybe even heavier overall. The harsh vocals are back in full force, and the clean vocals that come along with them sound better than ever. There's even a fair number of cooperation between the two; some tradeoffs in Fast Worms and The Pleasant Surprise and some moments of both clean and harsh vocals at once in Sul Ponticello and City Hymnal. The harsh vocals are generally used to accentuate the heavier and more moments of the album; the verses of Fast Worms, the manic energy of The Pleasant Surprise, the sludgy and dissonant moments of The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing, the heavy opening of Sul Ponticello, the driving heaviness of The Direction of Last Things. The cleans are generally used in two ways; harmonized and massive moments driving some more heavier passages; all throughout the crushing Digital Gerrymandering, the huge middle of The Pleasant Surprise, the sludgy chorus of Sul Ponticello, the driving verses of The Direction of Last Things, and the trumphant climaxes of City Hymnal. There's also a lot of more ethereal vocals that provide texture to the quieter, more atmospheric breaks on the album; the opening verses of The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing, the restrained middle of Sul Ponticello, the dreamy build at the end of The Direction of Last Things, and the upbeat ethereal middle of City Hymnal. There's still a good chunk of the album that's purely instrumental but there's enough vocals of enough varieties to keep you satisfied.

This is probably the band's first album where all three main instruments are equally important; of course there's still a ton of great drum moments, and a lot of strong bass grooves, but the guitar presence on this album is higher than ever and much more important. There's so many crushing riffs - the first sludgy riff of Fast Worms, the pounding verse of Digital Gerrymandering, the jagged chorus of The Pleasant Surprise, the crushing and dissonant moments of The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing, that crunchy main riff of Sul Ponticello, the weirdly bright and powerful main riff of The Direction of Last Things. There's a lot of noodly and frantic guitar lines; the dissonance of Digital Gerrymandering, the rhythmic edge throughout The Pleasant Surprise, the melodic ending lines of Sul Ponticello, the bright and energetic lines throughout The Direction of Last Things, and the bright noodling at the start and end of City Hymnal. There's a lot of gorgeous textures; the jazzy chords and twinkly atmosphere during Fast Worms,  basically the entirety of The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing, the gentle build at the end of The Direction of Last Things, the spacey reverb during the middle of City Hymnal. And so much more even still, but pointing out every last moment would be redundant; suffice to say there's a ton of great ones.

The bass is actually a bit downplayed here, but not too much that it doesn't still have a ton of moments of its own. There's a lot of doubling the guitar riffs or chords going on, which tends to add a thicker sound, certainly not a negative. There's some thumping bass in Fast Worms as well as a really gorgeous bass solo. Digital Gerrymandering has a ton of moments; the groovy bassline around 1:40, an upbeat line at 3:50, and some jagged bass during the track's conclusion. There's a nice thick bass throughout The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing, but I especially like the groove when the band kicks back in for the atmospheric outro. The small flourishes the bass adds to the main riff of The Direction of Last Things are cool, and the thumping bass of the song's outro build creates a nice driving feel. Plenty more cool moments to discover throughout the album too, it's just loaded with them.

The drums on this album have a pretty interesting quality about them in that they really seem to like driving the energy of songs even during quieter breaks. The middle quiet break of Fast Worms, the manic and jagged break at 5:00 of Digital Gerrymandering, the passage at 3:20 of The Unlikely Event, the driving groove in the middle of Sul Ponticello, and the constant energy running through City Hymnal, even the more atmospheric moments. Really, the drums tend to be pretty upbeat throughout. The Pleasant Surprise is a nonstop barrage of jagged drum grooves, and The Direction of Last Things has driving double bass throughout its first three minutes keeping the energy high. There's a satisfying amount of slower grooves, too; the crushing intro of Fast Worms, the polyrhythmic groove of Digital Gerrymandering, the sludgy chorus of The Pleasant Surprise, and the slower, driving rhythm of Sul Ponticello to name a few. City Hymnal in particular is notable for its drumming throughout which just has no chill; especially that monster fill at 5:05 leading into the manic outro. Odds are that you could point to any random moment of the album, though, and assuming it has drums at all, you'll probably find a really cool moment of them.

I think my biggest gripe with this album is the weird breaks for samples that happen on a few occasions. The first minute of The Unlikely Event and the last minute of Sul Ponticello both feel pretty extraneous, and there's a weird sample at the start of The Pleasant Surprise as well, though brief. This is more a nitpick than anything else. I guess you could also make the argument that the album doesn't have a ton of emotional impact, which is, yeah, fair, but Intronaut is the rare case that can make technical playing interesting on its own by just doing such unique things with their instruments and avoiding the pitfalls of mindless solos or chuggy riffing; no, they just like to confuse you with wacky rhythms that create noisy atmospheres, which I really dig. Fast Worms and Sul Ponticello both have a lot of this kind of stuff.

Really overall though this is pretty clearly the pinnacle of the band's work to me; maybe not as diverse as Prehistoricisms, but the bar is just a lot higher, there's little to no filler and each song pretty well carves its own identity, no experiments that don't work, a ton of moods ranging from the subtle and gorgeous to the crushingly heavy and all of them done so well. It's basically the ideal technical metal album. Not the best I've heard, mind you, but the most pure and mind-boggling, and it's always a joy to listen to. And that's the last thing I have to say about it.

Favorite Tracks: The Unlikely Event of a Water Landing, Fast Worms, Digital Gerrymandering, Sul Ponticello
Least Favorite Track: The Direction of Last Things

8.75/10

DTF Addendum: Poor album just barely missed the top 10, but it's still damn great and easily my favorite of theirs. I kind of had a premonition it would be and yeeeaah this is everything I love about the band wrapped up in a nice 46 minute package.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #321 on: June 04, 2016, 07:33:43 PM »
oh and yeah Bilo 3.0 and ECO are nothing like Periphery, TesseracT, AAL, etc. really

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: June 04, 2016, 10:48:29 PM »
Great album!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #323 on: June 05, 2016, 12:41:27 AM »
Ah man thouht this would be top 5 for sure, I enjoyed this album myself for sure, but I've yet to give it more than 1 listen. Big step up from the album you sent me a song of IMO
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2016, 12:49:32 AM »
man, it's an amazing album, just that i had 10 better ones  :lol

at the end of the day i did pretty well to amass a very nice amount of great albums and i'm happy about that much

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #325 on: June 05, 2016, 01:34:34 AM »
Good album with some cool artwork that falls a bit on its production and the fact that some songs doesn't really have a beginning or end, they just "chug on".

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #10: J A W S
« Reply #326 on: June 05, 2016, 01:38:05 AM »
#10: The Hirsch Effekt - Holon : Agnosie
#2 for 2015

I've had a hard time really finding any mathcore that worked for me; usually it's just too angry or too relentlessly heavy, too focused on doing technical crazy stuff that ends up sounding like gibberish to the listener. So what did this band do to make it work? Well, one, the album's not relentlessly heavy; three of the ten main tracks aren't even metal, and nearly every track has some calmer moments. Two, add a focus on melody. There are some crazy breakdown-type bits here, but just as many guitar leads to balanced them out. Three, CRAZY GOOD FLOW.

Seriously, more than anything else, I'd use this album as an example of how to construct an album that flows well and feels both really cohesive and really diverse. Simurgh builds up nicely to a heavier sound instead of dumping you in blind. Jayus is generally pretty heavy but also straightforward and not that technical. Agnoise is probably the most "standard" mathcore track, but you're warmed up for it by now. Chelicera provides a brief breather between two more intense tracks. Bezoar goes even further into madness, but ends by cooling down some and transitioning smoothly into the next track. After the assault of the previous three tracks, Tombeau provides a straightforward and gorgeous softer moment. Emphysema starts off quiet but builds up to a more intense, somewhat technical sound by the end. Defaetist provides another simple breather between two of the heavier tracks. Fixum really gets back into the swing of things, maybe the most technical track on the album, though not the heaviest. After its insanity, Athesie provides another nice cooldown, though it has some punch to it as well. Tischje bridges the gap between the bright Athesie and the crushing Dysgeusie by being quiet but unsettling. Dysgeusie is one brief shot of manic energy before the finale. Cotard has a strong air of finality to it and a reprise of Simurgh to close things out. Really, even without diving into the songs themselves, this album would already be a work of art for its flow and diversity alone; no two tracks are that similar, but the whole ride feels smooth as butter.

Thankfully, the quality doesn't end there; yes, of course, the songs themselves are all pretty great. I think I'll start out with all the small, weird oddities this album has, the elements that aren't "standard".

There's the brass ensembles on several tracks; playing the main motif of Simurgh as well as its reprise on Cotard, some horns adding to a heavy moment at 2:50 of Agnosie, as well as providing some unsettling melodies later on; and some more brass on the second chorus of Emphysema.

There's some strings presence as well; not gratuitous, but present enough to highlight some specific moments. The buildup into the second chorus of Agnosie has some nice wailing violins, there's the outro of Bezoar with a symphonic reprise of the chorus, and there's a pretty string passage near the end of Tombeau.

The piano and keyboards, as well, show up enough to make note of. There's, of course, the ambient intro of Simurgh, there's what sounds like someone banging on a piano near the end of Jayus, there's the entire of Tombeau, and there's the bright synth of Athesie that gives it a poppy vibe.

Another thing worth highlighting is the choruses to most of these songs; despite all the lyrics being in German and thus incomprehensible to me, they tend to be pretty damn catchy and usually pretty powerful as well. Agnosie has a straightforward, driving chorus, Bezoar has its manic, highly melodic and obscenely catchy chorus,  Emphysema has a booming and triumphant, sort of laid-back chorus, Fixum has another straightforward chorus in the midst of its chaos, some nice vocal harmonies going on, Athesie has a punchy and climactic chorus with great guitar work, and Cotard has just a gorgeous and triumphant chorus, bright melodic guitar lines playing under some great vocal melodies.

Anyways, with that all out of the way, diving in to the real meat of the album: its musicianship. One thing I really like about this album is how clearly everything comes through. It's also weird because I find slight fault with how thin the guitar tone can sound sometimes; any single-note riffs often tend to be not that heavy, no matter how heavy they try to be. Other than that though the album's production is great, especially like how well-mixed the bass is, always plenty audible but not drowning anything out. But the point is, it's really easy to listen to and enjoy all the instrumentation.

Which is good, since it's generally pretty stellar. The bass gets a lot of cool moments; accentuating the bass drum at 3:40 of Agnosie, helping to drive the jagged outro groove of the same song, providing a solid backing to the intro guitar solo of Bezoar, and a great bass solo during the jazzy break of the same, a number of nice, rhythmic basslines through Emphysema, throughout Fixum as well, driving a frantic moment near the intro, a great groove at 1:30, the huge thick tone at 3:05, a really cool solo during the break at 4:25, the bass really owns this song especially. There's just a ton of cool moments throughout though, more than I can even remember.

The same goes for the drums, a nice variation on the different styles while often having a technical edge. There's the marching beat of Simurgh, the booming intro of Jayus, the upbeat, punky beats and twisted rhythms of Agnosie, the death metal intensity of Bezoar along with some wacky rhythms and the manic outro bits, the energy of the break of Emphysema, the rhythmic synchronizations of Fixum as well as the intense build up to the final chorus, the addictive grooves of Athesie, the unfiltered energy of Dysgeusie, and the constant driving feel of the drums throughout Cotard.

As with a lot of metal albums, though, the star of the album is the guitar work. Sometimes as simple as the straightforward chords of Emphysema and Dysgeusie. Often playing some really jagged riffs; Agnosie, Bezoar, and Fixum are especially loaded with these. Only a few solos; one shreddy one at the start and one jazzy one during the middle of Bezoar, as well as a really chill melodic solo in Athesie. A lot more noodly guitar lines than just those, though; the intro of Jayus, the chorus of Bezoar, the first main riff of Emphysema, and a ton in Cotard, the verses and choruses, the buildup to the outro especially. Some straightforward crushing chords,, usually accompanying a chorus. Notably the first vocal bit of Bezoar has an almost black metal feel to it, between the guitar, drums, and vocals. And some really sludgy/heavy riffs. The slower outro of Agnosie, the crushing ending of Dysgeusie, and a few moments in the middle of Cotard. Even a few twangy guitar lines; one prevalent throughout a lot of Agonsie, one that punctuates a number of bars in Bezoar, and a tiny moment at 3:30 of Fixum. It's just, really diverse and constantly interesting, really unlikely to have the same kind of playing for multiple passages in a row.

The vocals, as well. The cleans are generally really quite good and melodic, enough power and emotive presence behind them to work for me, even if I don't understand the lyrics. The harsh vocals are pretty standard metalcore kind of vocals, don't really dislike them nor am I particularly into them, but they work for the music quite well, adding a lot of intensity to some of the heavier moments.

Really though, it's impressive how much of a joy this album is to listen to front-to-back, and even on a song-by-song basis, a lot of great tunes with only a few weaker ones, and even the worst song here is still solid enough. As previously said, this is probably one of the best-flowing albums I've ever heard, and it hasn't lost its luster on repeated listens due to how much there is going on in the tracks here, the diversity and creativity are great. Maybe not the heaviest, most complex or mind-bending, or angriest mathcore out there, but probably the mathcore that appeals to me the most. Really strong album.

Favorite Tracks: Cotard, Athesie, Bezoar, Fixum, Emphysema, Tombeau
Least Favorite Track: Dysgeusie

8.75/10

DTF Addendum: I just, I can't get over how good this album's structure and flow are. Everything just fits into place perfectly. I'd probably like this a fair bit less if the track order was even a little different.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: June 05, 2016, 03:14:22 AM »
Ye this is basically the kind of crazy you seem to be loving as of late *le corn*

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #328 on: June 05, 2016, 03:26:52 AM »
It's barely crazy. It's a nice album, but it sounds like an accessible mix of Dillinger escape plan, Psyopus and Exotic Animal Petting Zoo, without being as good or extreme as any these three, or adding anything to them. Not bad, but I can't help but feel like they're coming a little late in the game, and that they're all over the placce, stealing from other bands, because they can't have musical ideas of their own...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:32:00 AM by Kilgore Trout »

Offline LordCost

« Reply #329 on: June 05, 2016, 05:26:55 AM »
Thanks Parama, this sound interesting to me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #9: Any Way You Want It
« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2016, 09:46:52 AM »
#9: Bent Knee - Shiny Eyed Babies

This album was quite the grower for me. I heard Being Human beforehand, loved it, decided to check out the album, and... wasn't that into it, actually. Found it alright but it didn't really stand out. But... Being Human was like that at first, and there were at least a few tracks that caught my ear, so I gave it another listen later and ended up picking it up and spinning it quite a bit.

But it's also quite an exhausting album, and after about 5 more spins I knew most of the songs pretty well and was kind of burned out on it, even though I liked it. But putting it aside for a while after that and coming back to it once in a while, it just seemed to get better every time. There's just a ton of great music on this album, and the best part is how all the great songs are great in different ways.

Really, no two songs on this sound that much alike, even the three short piano tracks. Each track has something to offer and even the tracks I don't like quite as much (or even the one I kind of dislike) all have pretty strong moments in them.

One of the most striking elements on this album is the vocal performance, which is often a bit over-the-top and rather intense, but also pretty moody, there are a lot of quieter moments pulled off quite well. But yeah, damn, she can sing. The only track where I think she overdoes it and kind of ruins the song for me is Dry, which has an excess of vibrato and oversinging and kind of sounds like a silly Disney villain song more than anything else.

But on the rest of the album? Yeah, tons of great performances. Shiny Eyed Babies and Untitled have some of the more restrained performances, both songs carrying a melancholic and melodic mood to them, and in the former especially she nails it, the tone of the song is quite strong. Other standouts among the more subtle vocal moments include the earlier moments of In God We Trust, the sinister vibe of Battle Creek, the uneasy verses of Sunshine, and the gorgeous verses of Being Human.

Of course, her real vocal strengths are the more intense moments. Way Too Long is a huge song and the vocals throughout are suitably intense, the second chorus of In God We Trust and especially the later moments of the build at the end are damn powerful, the second chorus of Dead Horse is pretty climactic as well, there's the utterly heartbreaking choruses of Battle Creek, the demonic screams at the end of Sunshine that are absolutely terrifying, the playful groove of the chorus in Skin, the intensity of Being Human's last two choruses, and the huge layers of vocals in the second chorus of Toothsmile. The vocals here take all these moments from great to amazing, just absolutely sells them.

Of course, if this album were just a vocal powerhouse with weak instrumentation, I wouldn't like it nearly as much as I do. But no, the music here is just as powerful if not even better than the vocals, honestly, it's hard to decide. The only instrument here that's a bit under-utilized is the bass, but there's still some cool moments of bass groove, especially in the first half of Skin. The drums are probably next, but they get a lot more shining moments. The plodding intro of Way Too Long and the chaotic middle of the track, the utter breakdown at the end of Dry, the driving rhythms of In God We Trust that get pretty intense by the end, the second chorus of Dead Horse where the drums really help ground the music, the groove of Skin, and the chaos of the middle of Being Human.

The guitar work on this album is pretty diverse, as well; you've got the huge riffs of Way Too Long, the driving outro riff of In God We Trust,  the jagged guitar lines in Dead Horse, the driving muted guitar lines in the verses of Sunshine, the dissonant noise of the back half of Skin, the explosive first two choruses of Being Human and its chaotic middle. The violin, too, does a damn great job. There's the driving violin that forms the backbone of the first half of In God We Trust, the warm melodies of I'm Still Here, the piercing flourishes of Dead Horse, the folky main line of Sunshine, the bouncy intro and prechorus melody of Skin, and the destructive wails closing out Toothsmile. Tons of chilling and powerful moments from both instruments, too many to mention them all here here.

The keyboards on this album also have a ton of show-stealing moments, though it's often in the quieter stretches of the album. The three piano tracks aside, the keyboards do a lot to add to the atmosphere of the tracks. The bridge of Way Too Long has a nice thick organ sound, the ambient moments of I'm Still Here, Dead Horse, and Being Human are all quite warm and soothing, the punchy intro of Dead Horse, a huge wall of noise in the back half of Skin that gives way to a jazzy piano outro, the gorgeous verses of Being Human as well as the unsettling dissonant line on the bridge, and the oddly distorted and uneasy sound of Toothsmile.

The best moments of the album tend to be when all these instruments work together to produce some truly breathtaking moments, though; the entire second half of In God We Trust, the second chorus of Dead Horse,, the climactic first chorus of Battle Creek, the visceral and disturbing buildup at the end of Sunshine, the addictive groove of Skin, basically every single moment of Being Human, and the implosion of sound that Toothsmile builds up into. I can't believe how many fantastic moments this album has, honestly, and especially how moody all of them are; from heart-wrenching, to powerful and intense, to utterly gorgeous, triumphant, disturbing and terrifying, there's a whole spectrum of emotions conveyed through these songs.

I'm sort of stunned by how much this album grew on me, honestly; it's not hard to pick my favorite track but there's eight tracks here I'd call genuinely great, with only one track that's any degree of weak. It's a pretty concise album, too, just over an hour and with no particularly long songs, only a tiny few moments that feel stretched out a bit too long. It's a rollercoaster of a ride and it flows pretty damn well front-to-back, with most songs standing out quite well on their own. I wouldn't say it's one of my absolute favorite albums ever, but it's definitely the kind of album I see myself returning to quite a lot in the future.

Favorite Tracks: Being Human, In God We Trust, Sunshine, Battle Creek, Way Too Long
Least Favorite Track: Dry

9/10

DTF Addendum: Oh hey, a 9.0. I can't help it when there's so many fantastic songs on the album. If only Dry and also kind of I'm Still Here were better. But yes this was a high-quality roulette find for sure.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #331 on: June 05, 2016, 09:49:56 AM »
 :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: June 05, 2016, 10:02:43 AM »
2hipster4me

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #333 on: June 05, 2016, 10:04:43 AM »
Amazing amazing album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 425

« Reply #334 on: June 05, 2016, 10:06:21 AM »
I meh'd songs from both of these albums in the championship roulette :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #335 on: June 05, 2016, 10:09:16 AM »
In God We Trust, Sunshine and Battle Creek are my favorites so yeah good job on that list. This album is gr8
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2016, 10:10:02 AM »
sunshine is one of my favorite covers ever, as i don't tend to like covers much

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: June 05, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
Oh btw, forgot to mention, but the drums on Bilo 3.0 are all programmed. Yes, that's a vst and David drumming on a keyboard. Same on all his releases except Lun. The man surely knows how to produce his music.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #8: The Djent Awakens
« Reply #339 on: June 05, 2016, 02:47:07 PM »
#8: David Maxim Micic - ECO
#1 for 2015

Whereas my immediate reaction to EGO was boredom and disinterest, my immediate reaction to ECO was about the opposite. This is the direction I'd really love to see Micic take his music. He hasn't lost the technicality of Bilo 3.0, but what's been added is even greater emotional depth and atmosphere - this is a really beautiful record, despite its minor djent leanings.

The most prominent and important part of this album is definitely its atmosphere. This album sounds gorgeous. There's the two short instrumental tracks, Universe in a Crayon being a piano-driven piece that adds some climactic strings in its second half, and Voda, a guitar-driven atmospheric piece that explodes by the end, serving as an extended intro to the closer. There's the three vocal tracks, all of which have a pretty different vibe to them; Satellite is upbeat and generally bright, The Flock is groovy and a bit sinister, and Stardust is just super pretty and triumphant. And there's the longer instrumental, 500 Seconds Before Sunset, which is just incredibly hypnotic and soothing, probably the best track here.

There's still some slight djent leanings to this album, sure; the second verse of Satellite has a chuggy guitar riff, The Flock has a fair amount of groove in both its booming drums and its guitar riffs that are decisively djenty, and there's a bassline in the verses of Stardust that's, while not especially heavy, definitely reminiscent of djent in its sound. There's a few other scattered moments too, but it's pretty minimal overall.

There's also definitely some ties to EGO; the main melody of 500 Seconds Before Sunset is the same as a synth melody from Develop, and The Flock reprises the main melody of Define in a much slower form. There's probably other small things I missed too, I wouldn't be surprised, but these are just the ones i noticed, and while I don't particularly care for the other EP, I still like these small touches.

The three vocalists on this album add some flavor to each of their tracks; Satellite has a pretty nice male vocalist performance, there's some nice rhythm to the verses and the chorus is pretty stellar, quite like the massive bridge of the track too. The Flock's vocalist fits the song's tone pretty well, but the tone is a bit sinister compared to the rest of the album and feels a bit out of place as a whole; the vocal performance is still fine enough though. The vocalist on Stardust is probably the least "skilled" of the three but also the most earnest, and on top of that the vocal melodies she has are easily the best on the album, especially that chorus.

An element of the album I really like is its use of guitars, just in general. There's some guitar noodling in the background of the verses on Satellite, a nice solo around the halfway point that's a good balance of melody and technicality, and a break at 7:20 that's just really cool and tasteful. 500 Seconds Before Sunset has a lot of subtle guitar work in its chorus and verses, as well as two passages in a row starting at 4:10 with some more tasteful, kind of glitchy guitar. There's a really nice guitar lead at 1:25 of Voda, not to mention the reverb-drenched guitar atmosphere of the rest of the track that's just really gorgeous. Stardust has some really warm guitar chords in its intro and a plucky energy to the guitar lines in the verse. There's also another balanced solo in the back half of the second verse that's a pleasure to listen to.

In contrast to the "weird" elements EGO used that felt forced and awkward on Disorder, the similar elements used on this album fit right in and add a nice amount of flavor when they show up. There's some marimba in the opening bits of Satellite, the clapping rhythm of the verses of 500 Seconds Before Sunset, as well as a strange breathy synth in one passage of the song, and the wonderful violin solos of The Flock. They're not really intrusive elements, they don't feel out of place and they add a lot to the songs they're featured in, though there isn't a whole lot of them here, but I'm fine with that.

Really, breaking this album down by its parts doesn't really do it justice though. What really matters here is that every time I listen to this album, it's just a very soothing, relaxing experience. It's basically impossible not to be happy once the album reaches its conclusion, there's really very few faults to it and enough great moments alongside the gorgeous atmosphere to keep it relistenable and engaging, though also great just as background music. Micic, I hope you pursue this route in your further musical releases instead of the disaster that was EGO.

Favorite Tracks: 500 Seconds Before Sunset, Stardust, Satellite
Least Favorite Track: The Flock

9/10

DTF Addendum: Yup, first and last for 2015 are companion releases. Funny how that goes. But yeah I adore this release. 500 Seconds Before Sunset is one of the most "perfect" songs I've ever heard. Also I'm posting four today and four tomorrow because I'm leaving for a trip tuesday afternoon and need to get this done before then oops.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #340 on: June 05, 2016, 02:50:19 PM »
Yeah, this is definitely the best DMM after Lun.

Also in regards to the programmed drums, I find it kinda funny how nowadays the drums are compressed and produced in such a way (in djent and these types of metal atleast) that it doesn't really matter if you use a live drummer or a program anymore.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #341 on: June 05, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
Was just binge-listening to the DMM discography, was actually my first experience with his music as I bought it back when he had the discography for 10 bucks action but never listened to it.

I definitely have to give it more time but I love what I've heard so far, the sheer atmosphere he creates is something I don't hear too often in djent, those are probably my favorite things about the music too, not the crazy guest singers (though that's pretty great too).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: June 05, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »
Is this guy like the Merzbow of Djent? So many albums on this list D:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #343 on: June 05, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
see: the "entire discography for sale for $10" thing train mentioned
aside from the destiny potato album, all of his work is on the list

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #344 on: June 05, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
I only really love Stardust of the vocal tracks on ECO. The rest are fine, but nothing that really stuck with me. 500 Seconds of Sunset is amazing though, and both Voda and Universe in a Crayon are lovely.

Also, I'm feeling EGO is getting to much hate here. It has some really awesome moments. I get that you seem to be tired of the whole "djent" thing, I am too, but it can still be done well, and I think it is on EGO. Not AMAZING, but pretty well.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #345 on: June 05, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
EGO>ECO

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: June 05, 2016, 03:21:35 PM »
I think Satellite is my least favourite track here, because of the vocal melodies, bit still a great song. The other tracks are stellar  :hefdaddy

Is this guy like the Merzbow of Djent?
Nah, he makes listenable music.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #347 on: June 05, 2016, 03:37:34 PM »
the merzboy of djent would still get a 0

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #348 on: June 05, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »
I haven't listened to all that much Merzbow (mainly because he has 300 albums) but I'd say his music is fine, there's just so much of it. Same with Buckethead. I don't fucking get the whole "lets push out 4 albums per month" because even as a listener who only has to listen to the music, that's more than I'm willing to invest, and it feels like he just shits out an album for breakfast. Sure, me being lukewarm on him doesn't help, but even if someone I liked started putting out albums that often, I would lose interest.

/end rant

Anyhow the album cover of the last one was pretty cool. Obligatory "lolprog" comment but yeah, nice cover

Offline 425

« Reply #349 on: June 05, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
I'll refrain from making sweeping comments on the album because I haven't listened to it nearly enough to judge, but ECO is barely prog. It's certainly not prog in the Dream Theater sense or the Tesseract sense. I have less sense of what belongs on the Zantera side of Zantera/Sacul music than I do of the Sacul side, but I imagine that this wouldn't be totally alien to your tastes, Zantera.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time