Author Topic: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #1: I'm Not Sorry For That At All  (Read 30862 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #56: Cool Band! Average Album
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2016, 09:35:05 AM »
#56: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress'
#12 for 2015

I mean, what is there to say about this album? It's basically one song, for starters, and 16 minutes of the album is just pure drone. And it's... fine, I guess. It's probably the weakest GY!BE album, but that's kind of a hard moniker to live up to. It's not overlong, either, only 40 minutes in length.

As far as the tracks themselves, the first track is very good. It's a long groove that's constantly evolving and building, layers upon layers with a nice dense atmosphere. Basically classic Godspeed, and while it's nothing groundbreaking for them, I still dig it quite a lot. It wouldn't be my go-to Godspeed track or anything, but, solid.

The next two tracks, though... eehh. I dig drone at times, but Lambs' Breath is just kind of boring... I don't really like the thought of holding one bassy note for over two minutes, as this track ends on. Why. Some of this is alright, sure, but as a whole I'd skip it. Asunder, Sweet is an improvement, there's more happening and there's a build to the track, but having it after the slog of the previous track lessens its effectiveness considerably. If you cut out or shortened Lambs' Breath I think this would work a lot better than it does.

Piss Crowns Are Trebled is the longest and final track, and probably the best. It's more adventurous than Peasantry, which was, while decent, mostly just one long groove. Whereas Piss Crowns has a nice flow to it and gets pretty intense by the end. Again, I wouldn't say it's a top-tier Godspeed track, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

But then you take this entire thing as a whole, and realize that at its best, it's below par for Godspeed, and at its worst, it's tedious and boring. It's far from a bad release, but I never got too into this one and I don't think I will either, it's not worth it.

Favorite Tracks: Piss Crowns Are Trebled, Peasntry or 'Light! Inside of Light!'
Least Favorite Track: Lambs' Breath

5.75/10

DTF Addendum: I really don't mind this album at all, it's just low from everything else being at least a step or two above. It doesn't annoy me, it doesn't really bore me either aside from Lambs' Breath, but it doesn't really interest me either.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:27:05 AM by Parama »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #57: Double Vision
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
Definitely their worst record indeed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »
Way too low. It's a great song (album) even if it doesn't quite reach the highs of their other albums.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2016, 09:42:07 AM »
Yeah, it shouldn't be this low though. While I agree that it's a disappointing listen if you're coming fro their older material, it's not exactly crap either.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2016, 09:43:33 AM »
5.75 is "just slightly below average" y'know  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:13 AM »
It's more like a 7.5 / 10 IMO

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2016, 10:02:53 AM »
If Coma Ecliptic sets the standard for a 5.5/10 album, I guess 5.75/10 is a pretty amazing score
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline 425

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
I can't decide whether the more amusing part of this exercise will be the part where Parama kills all the sacred cows in the 40s and 50s, or the part where the top ten albums are all ones that nobody has ever heard of. :lol

I like The Gentle Storm. I don't outright love it, but I like it. The main problem it has is that the tempo almost never changes. All the songs are pretty much in the same mid-tempo, which is probably why it feels a little same-y throughout. I think it's a good release, but it could be more varied.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2016, 10:32:39 AM »
7.5 is "quite good but not quite great", so, yeah, not even close to that for me

tbh I had a bit lower at first but bumped it up last minute so :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2016, 12:19:43 PM »
It's more like a 7.5 / 10 IMO
This. But it's still probably my third favorite record of theirs, behind their debut and lift your skinny fists - Yanqui really bores me, and Hallelujah and Zero Canada are ok.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »
zero canada

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2016, 03:11:58 PM »
It's not necessarily my least favorite either. It's between that one and Yanqui, but I still like both quite a bit, they're just not AS amazing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #55: Space Normality
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »
#55: Auriga - Reflection of the Magestic

After discovering Alrakis and really liking their sound, I looked into other spacey black metal stuff and found this album. And I liked it when I first listened to it... honestly I still do like it, but I can definitely acknowledge that, yeah, it's not really great or anything. I think I only even got this one because it seemed pretty interesting and I likely wouldn't have gotten the chance to purchase a copy ever again. All three ambient tracks are... "fine", but never really go anywhere, they just meander about until they end. They're pretty soothing and pleasant though, uneventful though they may be. I guess IC 410 might be slightly better than the other two but really they're also pretty interchangeable.

And the black metal itself is... alright. Solitude in the Infinite Space is pretty evocative of the black metal sound I like, nice and atmospheric. Transcend Into Obsolescence is a bit too intense for the sound, I feel, but it does change the pace of the album a little. Bearer of the Wondering Stars is alright too, though the tremolo guitar is almost too clean, I don't really want to be able to hear individual picking. All of the metal tracks have pretty solid atmosphere to them, layers of ambience in the background and generally several layers of guitars too.

Honestly, what this is more than anything else is background music, which makes it hard to review properly. It's definitely inferior to Alrakis, but for what it is I still get a fair bit of enjoyment out of it. Its biggest crime is being a little flavorless and a little tedious, really.

Favorite Tracks: Solitude in the Infinite Space, Bearer of the Wondering Stars
Least Favorite Track: IC 405

6/10

DTF Addendum: Welcome to the "nobody has ever heard of this and nobody will care about this" power hour. And... yeah, that's fair.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #55: Space Normality
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2016, 12:18:23 AM »
So let's play a game, because why not.
If anyone can, by some stroke of magic, guess my top 5 right, I'll buy an album of your choice with my next music haul and give it a review  :corn
If someone can get like 3 of the top 5 right I'll at least check out an album recommendation on youtube or something I dunno.
Also this offer stops applying... let's say... once we hit the top 30. That sounds fine.

Perhaps I should go pull up the list of all the albums I got though to make this more fair  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #54: Actual Disappointment Sounds
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2016, 01:01:55 AM »
#54: Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance

As someone who adores Thrice (Beggars is one of my favorite albums -ever- and Vhiessu isn't that far behind), I should love this, right? It's Thrice at their most intense, at their heaviest.

...that's the thing though, have I ever cared for Thrice at their heaviest? Vhiessu works for me because of how the heavy and light are balanced out. Even the Fire disc of The Alchemy Index isn't just pure energy like this album. It's kind of... overwhelming, and unrelenting. All the songs blend together into a wall of noise with little breaks, there's none of the softer breaks that make Thrice good at their best.

I can't even say any of the songs are bad, and some of the songs are actually quite good. Under a Killing Moon has a killer riff that I absolutely adore and it's a pretty cool song beyond that. The title track is probably the most dynamic song on the album as well as the catchiest, probably my favorite.

The songs do have the benefit of being all rather short. The longest track just scrapes the 4-minute mark, and the shortest is 2:41. There's really no time to get tired of any of the songs with how fast the album moves. At the same time, the short length keeps songs from leaving much of a lasting impact. It's not like Thrice would go on to make 10-minute epics in the future, either; the longest song on any of their albums is only 6 and a half minutes; and I can't say short song length is a "problem" necessarily, but... ehh.

I don't know, this album is just frustrating to me since it's such a blur of an album. Like I said, none of the songs are bad, but at the same time only a few of them are really good, and most of them I wouldn't be able to tell you what they sounded like once the album ended. Of the ones I didn't mention before... Cold Cash and Colder Hearts stands out partly since it's the first track and does have some dynamics to it. Stare at the Sun has one of the better choruses on the album and some quieter verses for dynamics as well. Blood Clots and Black Holes has a decent riff at the start but that's about all that I ever remember from it. The Abolition of Man has a cool outro that I think would've worked really well as an album closing bit.

Really though, right now this album doesn't do much for me. Maybe I'll come back to it in a few years and love it. I'll probably still spin it from time to time since it's by a band I adore, but for now I acknowledge that it isn't really that great as a whole, passable at best.

Favorite Tracks: The Artist in the Ambulance, Under a Killing Moon, Stare at the Sun
Least Favorite Tracks: Can't differentiate them enough to tell

6/10

DTF Addendum: I mean, an album I'm not really that into by a band I love doesn't make me love the band less. I just wish I liked this more :lol:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2016, 01:08:23 AM »
Guess at two of those top 5 albums (I'll think of more later): Bent Knee - Shiny Eyed Babies and Brand New - Devil & God

Have only heard the 3 most popular (aka Beggars Vheissu and Alchemy Index) and only own Beggars, though I'll agree that I prefer the not-too-heavy Thrice so I probably wouldn't like this too much either.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:33 AM »
Looking at the three albums I'm posting tomorrow and WHEW BOY tomorrow is going to be... really fun  :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2016, 01:17:34 AM »
 :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2016, 01:26:39 AM »
The Direction of Last Things?

And I have no idea in what year you got The Apologist but it seems like you've only been fanboying over it since like the end of last year even though it came out in 2011. If you somehow purchased it in 2015, that's the #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2016, 02:23:34 AM »
I like The Artist in the Ambulance but I would probably rank it as my second to least favorite Thrice album. Compared to the others (except for the debut) it never clicked that hard for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2016, 11:42:57 AM »
I forgot to post this morning again lol
maybe I'll just do two today I feel like both of the next two are gonna generate a decent amount of discussion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #53: Single Vision
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »
#53: Periphery - Juggernaut
#11 for 2015

This review is for both Juggernaut discs, as they really need to be considered as one album, it's sort of pointless to have them split up. Really I can only assume they did that just so they could sell two albums instead of one, since there's barely over 80 minutes of music here, and definitely time that could've been cut from one disc or the other to push it down to a single disc.

And this album was hyyyyped to hell and back. I didn't even pay attention that well and knew they'd been building up to "Juggernaut" for ages. So naturally, I'm going to need to have high expectations if the band wants me to have them that badly. So no, expectations not met.

And heck, not even met during the time of last year where I was still into djent, much less over a year later at the point where I've basically declared djent a dead landscape for myself. It didn't take long to write this off as "solid, but nothing spectacular or even very unique". Not to say it's bad, either. I probably wouldn't have listened to it as much to try and make it click if it was outright awful, but... I can't say I'm very pleased with them after this, and I doubt I'll be getting another record from them in the future, since Periphery has never been one of my favorite bands to begin with.

At this point in my life, I'm generally over the sound of the vocals on this album, both the cleans and the harsh. The cleans are very breathy and whiny, and the harsh vocals lack any real power behind them. There are at least a fair number of good vocal melodies throughout the album to make up for the weakness of the cleans, but I basically never notice the harsh vocals. The majority of the better vocal melodies are on the first album, tracks like A Black Minute, Heavy Heart, Alpha, and Psychosphere, though Priestess on Omega has some nice ones too. There's some good choruses and bridges in songs that are otherwise not that spectacular, too, 22 Faces and Rainbow Gravity come to mind here.

There's also a lot of recurring musical themes here, perhaps too many, especially where a few of them are kind of pointless. For one, the track Reprise on Omega is a pointless reprise of A Black Minute that just stretches out the album by another minute and a half, and without it the album would practically fit on one disc. There's also a short pre-echo of Psychosphere at the end of The Scourge that, while nice, feels rather pointless. The most meaningful reprises come at the end of Omega, where first A Black Minute and then Alpha are reprised, the second of these being a really powerful and chilling moment, easily the best point of the entire album, and it ties both discs together quite nicely.

The album does feel kind of messy though, as per Periphery standards, with short segue tracks arbitrarily at the end of songs they have nothing to do with, and in a lot of cases the better than the songs that precede them. The pointless heaviness of MK Ultra ends with a nice jazzy break that I'd love to see developed into a full song. The Scourge ends with a melody from Psychosphere as previously mentioned. And Hell Below, the other pointlessly heavy track, ends with another cool jazzy little break that segues into the track after.

A brief moment to compare and contrast two similar songs; The Event is a short track based around one single riff that's kind of cool on its own but feels underdeveloped, like a demo that just got left on the album 'cause, hey, why not. Whereas Four Lights is another short instrumental, but with a variety of riffs, a strong groove to it, and even a short quiet break, to make it feel like a fully developed song. It's kind of baffling that they can get it both completely wrong and quite right on the same disc.

Aside from the usual djent fare that ends up being mostly forgettable (22 Faces, The Bad Thing, and Graveless especially come to mind, all being completely flavorless tracks that don't add to the album), there's a lot of poppier tracks with focus on brighter melodies and catchy hooks. Alpha is probably the pinnacle of this, with the best chorus of the album easily, and some bright synth in the intro, though the back half of the song feels like an extended outro that drags on too long. Heavy Heart is nice and poppy for the first half and really pretty good, with a more relaxed but still pretty bright back half. Priestess is probably the softest song on either disc, but still has a nice build throughout it and the extended groove of the outro is pretty enjoyable as well. A Black Minute, as well, has obviously the band's favorite vocal lines, with how often they're repeated, and a nice moment of group vocals in the middle, a good starting build to the album. Stranger Things, even, is a fair bit brighter, and with a decent amount of atmosphere, though it gets a lot more praise than I feel it deserves, it's good but not outstanding.

The "epic" of the album, Omega, deserves at least a few further comments, as well. The first third of the song is pretty straightforward and not too interesting beyond the softer and more atmospheric bit, but the triplet groove and energy of the middle third puts it back on the right track, and there's some gorgeous stuff between this and the big build at the end of the track. Though the last minute is a tacked-on heavy bit that doesn't do the song any favors and feels particularly pointless, don't know why they couldn't just end on a high note.

Psychosphere is easily the best track, but not for any particular reason other than it just exemplifies all the strengths of the album - a good vocal melody that strays away from the whinier side of the vocals, some really groovy riffs and a thick atmosphere to the whole track. It doesn't sound like much, but it's really a joy of a track.

Alpha as a whole definitely runs circles around Omega, which doesn't really get good until the last two tracks, with Alpha being pretty solid throughout, but then taken as a whole, having the weaker half as the second half makes the album really start to drag until it does hit those last two tracks. And at 80 minutes straight of djent, it can be kind of grueling to sit through as a whole, the album is definitely less than the sum of its parts.

Still, I wouldn't say it's a bad album, just a decent one that was way more hyped than it should've been, and shows a band who's content to stagnate without pushing their sound further, even if they can still produce some solid tunes while doing so. I think a 60 minute cut of the album with the fat trimmed would've made for a much more compelling experience overall. The story isn't *that* important and honestly it's a pretty bad and cheesy story, not even worth mentioning beyond that.

Favorite Tracks: Psychosphere, Omega, Heavy Heart, Stranger Things, A Black Minute
Least Favorite Tracks: MK Ultra, Graveless, The Bad Thing, 22 Faces

Alpha: 6.25/10
Omega: 6/10
Overall: 6/10

DTF Addendum: There really are some cool moments on here but overall I prefer P2, and even then that isn't a perfect fantastic album either. I don't think I've ever been fully "in" to Periphery and odds are I won't get any more of their albums but this one is still alright, just maybe a bit bloated and with a few too many dull/unmemorable spots.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:27:20 AM by Parama »

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
Vows is great, but Sally I Can See You and Something In the Way You Are are way worse than anything else on the album, and were only included for the US version (and just became bonus tracks on the original), which is why it's garbage that they repackaged the album proper for the re-release.

I prefer Behemoth (or Asunder blah blah blah) to Yanqui and Zero Kanada, and potentially even their debut, yet I barely even listened to the studio version, as I had a live one that I thrashed before the album was ever released that I actually liked better than the album itself anyway.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2016, 01:29:26 AM »
I personally love Juggernaut and think it's probably Periphery's strongest effort to date. Especially Omega.

Overall I can't fault you for having an opinion, just two things I noticed: No power to the harsh vocals? Spencer's screams are really really powerful in a way I basically never hear anymore.

Also, is Hell Below "pointlessly" heavy? It fits perfectly for what's going on in the story in that moment, so I'd say it's the opposite of pointless. There's really quite an actual point to it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #52: Sacrilege, Probably
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2016, 01:55:37 AM »
#52: maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map

I'm... still not sure how to feel about this album. It's a big mixture of stuff I like and stuff I don't find myself caring for too much. It's probably more personal taste than anything being "wrong" with the music... or maybe it's just overhyped for what it is. I dunno.

And there's not even a lot I can say about this album. The most notable and consistently better parts of the album come in the cleaner moments. This is helped by the fantastic acoustic guitar tone of this album, one of the best I've ever heard, as well as the various non-rock instrumentation; strings, horns, clarinets, probably some others I'm missing there too.

Stones of October's Sobbing starts right out the gate with a very lovely clean bit that's pretty detached from the rest of the song, both Interlude tracks have lovely pretty instrumentation and serve as nice breather tracks, though 3 is a fair bit better than 4, The Curve That to an Angle Turn'd has a very nice section in the middle with female vocals, Sleep Is a Curse has a slightly folky vibe to it and it's pretty catchy to boot, and Monstrously Low Tide has probably the best moment of the album with the "I saw the shore" bit, lots of atmosphere only accentuated by the reverb-drenched backing vocals. The song also ends with some dreamy and watery delay-heavy guitar, very nice ending for the album.

The comparative weakness of the album often comes in its heavier moments, however. Stones of October's Sobbing, especially, is just a total mess past the intro; all the instruments sound like they're playing in different keys when they're not outright dissonant, there's not enough swell to back up the harsh vocals, and it's just a plodding mess. Bizarre Flowers/A Violent Mist is probably the most consistently heavy song on the album but only parts of it work, while others feel forgettable. The Curve That to an Angle Turn'd has some sludgy heavy bits that I don't care for, and a climax at the end that abruptly runs out of momentum. Riseth He, the Numberless (Part 1) has basically nothing interesting about it period, neither in its softer moments or its heavier ones.

That's not to say the metal on this album is all bad, 'cause it isn't. Gleam in Ranks has a nice long build to it the whole way through that gets quite intense by the end and its energy is what really keeps it going. There's also a lot of little touches in the song, the piano runs, the weird cleaner guitars, the synth swells, they all add to the atmosphere. Riseth He, the Numberless (Part 2) has a kind of grating and overlong intro that sounds like bad video game music, but after that has an actually pretty decent heavy moment with the trade-off bit between some synth-heavy atmosphere and a crushing riff, though the song relies a bit too heavily on its few parts overall. That's... about it as far as memorable heavy bits go, though.

At this point I've basically already covered everything of note that stood out to me good or bad, though. There's... not a lot to say about this one, I really well and truly don't understand the huge hype behind this album or band. Sure, it has its brilliant moments, but it has just as much uninspired or forgettable moments and a few truly terrible ones too. It's good for a few listens but it's an album where I tend to like sections more than entire songs, and not an album I find myself wanting to revisit very often.

Favorite Tracks - Gleam in Ranks, Monstrously Low Tide, Sleep Is a Curse, (Interlude 3)
Least Favorite Tracks - Stones of October's Sobbing, Riseth He, the Numberless (Part 1)

6/10

DTF Addendum: Honestly I wish I liked this more than I do, but... just can't get that into it. The good tracks here are really quite good though, just a shame the album is watered down with unpleasant or boring ones.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2016, 01:58:53 AM »
Lol the bad thing is my favorite Periphery song

Parama being parama

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2016, 01:59:55 AM »
For what it's worth, it's rare that harsh vocals actually add a lot for me; aside from a few rare cases they're never more than "nice to have accompanying a heavy section" and can also be "just there" or "actively unpleasant" and Periphery's tend to be "just there" for me but ehh.

Also yeah I guess maybe if I cared about the story but musically it just feels pointless. I'm generally not a fan of heavy for the sake of heavy though. Like, there's a song on one of my top 5 albums on this list that slots into that category and brings the album down a notch for me (partially because it doesn't even nail its attempted heaviness that well) and aagh

also it's me reviewing djent in 2016, which i am just out of patience for, so
like i have somehow amassed almost 60 albums already in 2016 (because i'm crazy) and
the earthside one is arguably a little djenty at times but none of the rest have really any djent influence to speak of, like at all
i'm just so over it  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2016, 02:11:57 AM »
MotW are really good but personally I prefer Kayo Dot

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2016, 05:14:12 AM »
Juggernaut is the best album of 2015.  :loser:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2016, 05:30:19 AM »
oh come on, Leaving Your Body Map is good. While Bath is way better, it's definitely not as bad as you make it seem.
Squ

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2016, 06:17:02 AM »
oh come on, Leaving Your Body Map is good. While Bath is way better, it's definitely not as bad as you make it seem.

I agree with this.

Strangely, even though I like both Leaving Your Body Map and Bath quite a bit, I have never gotten into anything else that Toby Driver has done. I think I should rectify that, any recommendations by you guys?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2016, 07:23:23 AM »

I agree with this.

Strangely, even though I like both Leaving Your Body Map and Bath quite a bit, I have never gotten into anything else that Toby Driver has done. I think I should rectify that, any recommendations by you guys?

Choirs of the Eye is by far his best album IMO, but might take some time getting into. Hubardo might be the best Kayo Dot album to start with if you're coming from a MotW background. The first track might be a bit jarring, but the album as a whole has some incredible progressive metal tracks, both with harsh vocals and without. "And He Built Him a Boat" and "The Wait of the World" especially are amazing songs that are more "easy listenable" and more straight forward progressive rock/metal than something like Choirs of the Eye which is more Avant-Garde and very "out there".

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #51: No Habla Español
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »
#51: The Contortionist - Language

I think this album is, more than anything, a case of me having expectations and the album wanting to be something different than what I wanted it to be. And perhaps that's my fault, since I had listened to the whole thing before I actually purchased it, but it may also be because there really aren't a lot of moments on this album that stand out.

But what I expected was a heavily atmospheric album with some djent inspirations, but the metal being mostly sidelined. And while this holds true for a fair number of the tracks, there are also a few that focus prominently on the metal aspects with the atmosphere being sidelined instead. There's really only a few tracks that strike a good balance of the two, as well.

The most balanced ones would be Language I: Intuition, which is a pretty constant build from front to back, Thrive, which stays at a pretty consistent dynamic level with a break in the middle, and The Parable, which is nothing but a long build from clean to intense, but not too intense.

It's when the album gets really metal that my interest starts to wane. Language II: Conspire spends 2/3rds of its runtime focusing on heavier riffing, only returning to atmosphere near the end. Integration and Arise are both heavier tracks in general but hit some intense patches near their middle/end sections, both of which I don't find particularly welcome. On an unrelated note these two are pretty similar in that they have weird, jagged, clunky grooves to them that feels more like rhythmic showboating than any sort of interesting musical idea, it just doesn't sound great. Ebb & Flow has an arbitrary brief bit of heaviness around the 2-minute mark that really takes me out of an otherwise pretty solid song.

It's just. They need to move past this sound entirely before they can really start making engaging music, because the end result of what they do here is a confused mess. I won't fault them for variety, as most of the songs here are fairly distinct even with a core sound to this album, but the loud/soft variety really needs to be shifted more in favor of the soft if they want to find a more cohesive experience overall.

Another thing that happens fairly often is abrupt cuts to ambience to close out a track. Both Primordial Sound and The Parable end this way, without giving a strong sense of natural resolution, and seeing as The Parable is the last track on the album, it really needed a better sense of closure. It's weird, too, since the previous track, Ebb & Flow, actually sounds quite like an album closer the whole way through, and actually pulls the ambient ending off well by fading into it and having the vocals carry over. I'm really surprised this one wasn't the album closer, it feels like it should've been.

I've done enough complaining that you'd probably think I don't like this album, which is untrue; I do like it, but I'm far from loving it at the same time. There's a lot here to like though, regardless. When they get the atmosphere right they absolutely nail it. Moments like the entirety of The Source, an absolutely gorgeous track, the watery delay of Language I: Intuition, the bass-driven groove in the middle of Thrive, the earlier sections of Primordial Sound, the textured intro and ambient outro of Ebb & Flow, and the build of The Parable are all excellent softer atmospheric parts.

And it doesn't end there; there's a lot of strong heavy atmosphere here too. The heavier moments of Language I: Intuition with harsh vocals doubling over the cleans is actually a cool effect, it's an intense atmosphere that works. The last third of Language II: Conspire is excellent as well, very cathartic. Thrive is, the whole way through, quite atmospherically intense, rarely quiet but never feeling overly crushing either. Primordial Sound builds into a pretty intense feel, if not especially compelling. The last minute of Arise is pretty nice too. Ebb & Flow and The Parable both have some great payoff to their builds, really the only flaw with the latter is how abruptly it cuts out.

And before I say anything else I need to discredit the notion that I'm against the metal elements of this album entirely, because there are moments here that work quite well. I like the intro groove of Language II: Conspire that has stunted grooves, lots of space between different phrases. The last minute and a half of Integration has a strong chaotic mood to it, this song really should've focused less on atmosphere or have been on a different album entirely since they do this one part well. Thrive throughout has a faster pace than the rest of the album, some minor technical showboating and a lot of chuggy or strummy guitar lines, but it all merges well together and keeps the song compelling throughout, though no real moments besides the middle bass groove stand out.

So yeah. This album has a fair bit of negatives, but also a nice amount of positives to it as well, it's just a shame it's rather inconsistent and lacking cohesion. I'm kind of curious to see what direction the band will go in next, and I'm hoping it's to cut the metal down further and make a prog-infused atmospheric metal album with little to no harsher moments, but who knows, they may go in a completely different direction entirely. From what I can gather this is a lot unlike their albums before it, which leads me to be uninterested in their previous work, but also leaves me wary of their future. I'm not sure if they have a great album in them, if they don't have an interest in refining their musical ideas further than this. This is all dodging the point that I wish I could enjoy this album more than I do, but really don't see myself falling in love with it anytime soon, either.

Favorite Tracks: Thrive, Language I: Intuition, Ebb & Flow
Least Favorite Tracks: Integration, Arise

6.25/10

DTF Addendum: I really tried to like this more, I would absolutely love to love this album, but... meh, it just doesn't work for me the same way that [REDACTED] and [SPOILERS] do. It still ends up an okay enough album though, so?...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
I didn't have any expectations on Language since I didn't like the album they put out before it, but ended up loving it. IMO the mixture of progressive metal and ambient is perfect. One of the best progressive metal albums in the last decade.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2016, 09:21:46 AM »
yeah, i'm already pretty aware this is the worst list on DTF already and we still have 50 to go :lol
#50 is a popular "AOTY" level album for a lot of DTFers too  :corn