Author Topic: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #1: I'm Not Sorry For That At All  (Read 30849 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Personally I thought Coma Ecliptic was awesome and maybe their best since Colors.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Personally I thought Coma Ecliptic was awesome and maybe their best since Colors.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I now have 5 BTBAM albums and although I like all of them I'm not at th stage where I LOVE any of them. I think The Great Misdirect is probably my favourite.

I think your review is kind of how I feel about the band in general. I feel they have some great sections in their songs and albums but I don't feel they are personally consistent enough for me. I know that I still need to give a few albums more listens as there is a lot going on but still. I couldn't ever see them becoming one of my favourite bands but I do mostly enjoy listening to them and know they still have room to grow for me.

Bands like Native Construct and Haken, for instance, grabbed me and wouldn't let go. They have both released albums I can't stop playing, BTBAM?.......not so much.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
That's funny because I love BTBAM, would probably say they are the best progressive metal band out there, but I find Haken & Native Construct to be very average. Not terrible, the new Haken album was alright for example, but not music I will keep listening to or anything.

So in short, OPINIONS. They can be very different. :P

Offline twosuitsluke

I find that if we're talking about progressive metal on the extreme end of the spectrum then, for me, Opeth blow BTBAM out of the water everytime!!

Haken are more in the Dream Theater vein obviously and I love that style but as a more extreme progressive metal band BTBAM don't do a lot for me. There are just a lot of bands that do it better.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Opeth would be up there too. I think the clean/harsh vocals gives Opeth and BTBAM an advantage because they can really explore a wider spectrum within prog metal whereas bands that are more like Dream Theater (with just clean vocals) will never get THAT heavy.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
what more do you want?
less dubstep, more interesting songs

also yay i have sown the seeds of discord. it's not gonna get better from here, i promise. #57 and #50 especially are gonna be tons of fun
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:12:42 AM by Parama »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #59: Can't Wake Up
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
#59: Esben and the Witch - A New Nature

This album... the main problem I have with it is definitely because it sounds "empty". I was actually led to believe otherwise with No Dog being the track I found this band through, which is easily the most full-sounding song on the album and probably the most intense, too. I would still say that it's a great song, but as for the rest of the album? It's just a little too sluggish and empty for my tastes.

A lot of the songs just take too long to build up to anything and end up too repetitive overall. Even the tracks I like can be like this. Press Heavenwards! is a solid track but it could've definitely been cut down. The Jungle is waaayy too long, and while its first movement has a decent build, it could've been faster; the second movement is pretty pointless overall, only really in the third movement does the song find a good pace. Blood Teachings takes about 70% of its runtime to really go anywhere with its buildup, and the payoff isn't even great when it gets there.

And that's if the songs have any buildup at all. Dig Your Fingers In is a somber track that explodes near the end, Those Dreadful Hammers starts at full force and has nowhere else to go after, and Wooden Star just doesn't go anywhere period. I'll at least forgive Bathed in Light with how short it is, but it's a rather pointless 2 minutes as well.

Davies really outsings the instrumentation here at a good number of points. She doesn't really have a "softer" mode, her least intense and most intense moments aren't that far apart. This allows here to lend a lot of swell to heavier moments, but in the quieter moments creates a disconnect between the vocals and music that's hard to get past.

Don't get me wrong, I don't find any of this music "bad", just at best decent to average and at worst kind of mediocre. I don't even feel that strongly about No Dog, it's a good song but I've heard plenty of better ones in just the past year alone. The sound of this album as a whole is pleasant, if not a bit monotonous, but I wouldn't ask someone to turn it off if they were playing it and I was in the room.

Mostly my issue with this album is that, even at its best, it's not amazing, and most of the songs range from "meh" to "alright", which is not really what I'm looking for in my music, nothing here really gives me a strong desire to return to it and as a whole the album is kind of monotonous and empty, with a few songs being stretched way too thin and filled with way too little.

Favorite Tracks: No Dog, Press Heavenwards!, The Jungle
Least Favorite Tracks: Wooden Star, Bathed in Light

5.5/10

DTF Addendum:
I've sent No Dog once in roulettes but I don't remember to who and it didn't do very well, which is fair because even it isn't that great, just... the best the album has to offer. I really wish I liked this one more than I do, though, but sadly most of the back half especially is pretty dull.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »
I've given BTBAM several chances, specifically Colors, which everyone seems to love, but it usually annoys me too much after about 30 seconds so I have to switch to something else.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
I bet #57 or #50 is gonna be Juggernaut or one of either Alpha or Omega (if you even got these) and I'm gonna be real mad about it
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 09:31:19 AM »
Future Sequence and the debut are tied for my favorite BTBAM album. Coma Ecliptic really hasn't done much for me so far.

It may just need more listens, though. BTBAM albums tend to take a real long time to grow on me.

Haven't heard of this Esben deal.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »
I bet #58 or #50 is gonna be Juggernaut or one of either Alpha or Omega (if you even got these) and I'm gonna be real mad about it
1. no
2. both are pretty popular artists/albums here that just did little for me, periphery isn't that popular comparatively  :lol
3. also it's just juggernaut
4. never heard of any alpha or omega
5. what are you talking about
6. sorry shadow but i don't really like future sequence much either, it's like a 6.5/10 or so i guess

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »
ok. then it's Pale Communion and Hand. Cannot. Erase.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2016, 09:39:17 AM »
pale communion is a 2014 album, actually.
i need to go back and listen to that one more though, the last time i did it'd grown on me

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »
I really like Pale Communion at this point. This album was a grower indeed.

I expect The Gentle Storm at either #58 or #50. Parama is known for his ridiculously bad taste after all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
This thread is funny and I like it :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2016, 09:59:34 AM »
Currently re-listening to the BTBAM albums I have (Colors, CE, TGM, TP:HD, TPII: FS) to try and work out why they don't do a great deal for me.

In regards to Pale Communion, I like it a lot more than Heritage as I found that album to be a huge let down. Pale Communion picks things up again, and I appreciate the evolution of the band, but after the run of albums they released from Still Life-Watershed I couldn't help but be disappointed by Heritage.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:52 AM »
Pale Communion is great.
Never checked Coma Ecliptic. I'd like to like BTBAM more but I just don't get them apart from TGM and (parts of) Colors.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »
I've tried Pale Communion several times since I'm not into heavy Opeth, but it just bores me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2016, 10:28:43 AM »
opeth with a side of other stuff: the thread

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
To comment on Drones, definitely the biggest disappointment of 2015 for me. I liked the album at first listen, but after a few spins it became obvious that it doesn't have any staying power at all. I listen to Dead Inside, Reapers and The Globalist sometimes, but I find the rest of the tracks to be incredibly mediocre. Definitely their worst album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
remind me to update the 2015 albums with their 2015 ranking, I've been forgetting  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2016, 04:41:39 PM »
Pale Communion is great.
Never checked Coma Ecliptic. I'd like to like BTBAM more but I just don't get them apart from TGM and (parts of) Colors.

Not getting into other BTBAM albums is obviously not an indicator that you will like Coma Ecliptic, but I think that it's probably the most accessible of their albums, so I'd still give it a try.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2016, 06:19:08 PM »
HCE should finish fairly low considering it wasn't that great

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #58: Song and Jazz
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
#58: Kimbra - Vows

NOTE: This a review of the US release of this album.

I sort of knew going into this album that it wasn't going to be a "for me" kind of album, generally bright pop that's very song-oriented and not very album-oriented as a whole, to the point where two completely different versions exist and neither is the "proper" version. Mostly, this is more the kind of album where I tend to listen to the songs by themselves more than the album as a whole, and that doesn't hold true of all the songs, even, something like half of them I really dig while the other half isn't as strong.

I think this album is at its strongest the weirder it's being, honestly. A lot of the more "standard" songs are alright but never resonate with me as much as the "weirder" ones. Come Into My Head, especially, which I've never heard anything like, somewhere between hip-hop, jazz, and pop. Settle Down, as well, is instantly memorable, and while not as "weird" definitely has tons of personality between its a cappella moments, bright atmosphere, and compelling atmosphere.

Not to say the more "normal" songs can't work. Something in the Way You Are is a great more downbeat and atmospheric track, Cameo Lover has (aside from the clever title) a nice fun energy to it, Sally I Can See You is another gorgeous and atmospheric track but with a bit more energy, The Build Up is much more somber in comparison to the rest of the album and makes for a good album closer, and the bonus track Warrior is probably the most standardly "pop" track of the bunch, but a damn solid one at that.

The problems I have with this album come down to nitpicks quite often, though. For one, Two Way Street. There's this piano line throughout that feels slightly offbeat - on the album version, but not the Sing Sing Studios version. It feels like a recording or editing mistake, mostly. There's randomly a tiny jazz number tucked away at the end of Old Flame for no real reason, and while it's fine... dunno, feels out of place. Good Intent has some vocal doubling that I just don't care for. Posse's tone is... off. I don't really know why she sounds so aggressive here, it doesn't match with the lyrics at all.

The rest of the songs... ehh, not even really worth mentioning much. Yeah, some of these feel like filler. Old Flame is nice but nothing that special, Plain Gold Ring doesn't really feel like it adds much to the album, and Home is just wholly forgettable. Not bad, just kind of meaningless. Considering the US release is the second rendition of the album it feels strange to still have filler tracks, especially when one of them is brand new from the previous version.

The album as a whole is a bit of an inconsistent experience, there's a number of tracks that are quite good, a handful of other tracks that are pretty decent but not that special, and a few tracks that mostly just bore or annoy me. Kimbra is a talented singer, though, and she's making really interesting and unique music that suits her voice quite well, so I can't fault her for that. I think I respect this album more than I actually like it, but it's not an album I find myself returning to often, just the specific songs I find most enjoyable.

Favorite Tracks: Come Into My Head, Settle Down, Sally I Can See You
Least Favorite Tracks: Posse, Good Intent

5.75/10

DTF Addendum: I feel kind of bad ranking this as low as it is because there are actually a handful of songs on here I quite like, sure, but as an album... yeah, just can't say this works for me. I could probably take the best tracks from the two different versions and rearrange them to make a better album on the whole, but the fact that I could do that totally proves my point  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's 2015 Retrospective List: #57: Double Vision
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2016, 12:56:08 AM »
#57: The Gentle Storm - The Diary
#13 for 2015

The funny thing about this album... I got it shortly after it came out, listened to one version or the other for about two weeks, and then abruptly stopped listening to it and haven't touched it since, almost a year ago now. And it's not like it's bad, but it's just...

God, Arjen sure knows how to suck the life out of interesting instrumentation. I thought that his music having a kind of lifeless sound in general was just because he did a lot with synths and distorted guitars, and in some cases that was the point. But I'm pretty sure this album isn't intending to sound lifeless, yet... it does, quite a lot. Not all the time, certainly, there are still songs that have some life in them. Shores of India and The Storm especially, but Endless Sea sounds pretty good too. But end the end, if music like this sounds lifeless, it's boring. Plain and simple.

Anneke is a decent vocalist but if I'm gonna be honest, I've never been a huge fan of her, not on Arjen's previous stuff, not on Devin Townsend's stuff with her, and not on this album either. She's very technically sound but her voice never seems to be particularly emotive, or at least always sounds quite dry to me. She's good on the same tracks that have more alive instrumentation, and drier on the more boring songs.

I also think the decision to have two different version of the same album is, while novel, mostly just a gimmick in the end. I don't see why Arjen couldn't have just picked one or the other and put together a full album of those, or maybe a mixture of both the gentle and storm sounds on each track. Instead of segregating it into one or the other, just have them both at the same time. Your fanbase is going to be fine with that, Arjen, didn't you learn anything from the Universal Migrator albums?

This isn't helped by the fact that a lot of these songs aren't even that different on one version or the other. Endless Sea is good in both versions but the Storm version is literally just a heavier version of the Gentle version. The Greatest Love, The Storm, Eyes of Michiel, and New Horizions are all not notably different between the two versions aside from heavier instrumentation on the Storm version, which doesn't really transform the songs that much.

There are certainly some tracks where there's a big difference, though usually it's because one of the versions isn't as exciting as the other. The Moment most notably, the Gentle version just doesn't have enough weight to it and the Storm version blows it out of the water completely. On the other hand, the laid-back, jazzy vibe of the Gentle version of Heart of Amsterdam is completely lost on the Storm version, though there's at least a decent bass groove substituted in.

Two songs where both versions are equally good yet still quite different are Shores of India and Cape of Storms, most notably on each song's chorus. The chorus of the Gentle versions on these songs are very quiet and pretty, the most subtle parts of the songs. And on the Storm version, the choruses are both explosive and intense. It's a cool contrast between the two, and probably the only case where both versions are equally valid while still having their own identities.

A fair number of the songs, especially those on the back half of the disc, really don't have much that make them stand out from the rest, though. Endless Sea, while I do like it as an opener, doesn't have a lot of unique flavor, nor does The Moment, the "ballad" of the album, but they at least have more than The Greatest Love, Eyes of Michiel, Brightest Light, New Horizons, or Epilogue. Really, at the end of the day only four of these tracks are that special, and naturally, yes, these four are the best tracks. The rest is just the same sound repeated across half the album.

The Storm stands out mostly for having far more energy than any other track on the album; there's a nice frantic feel to both versions that creates a lot of tension and makes the song a fun listen. That's really about where the album ends though, since the last four tracks on both disc are really redundant by the time they roll around, none of them have anything to add. Considering that you have to listen to them all twice to get through the album once... yeah, really easy to get sick of them.

Honestly, at the end of the day, this isn't an awful album. But it was a bad idea from inception. No, Arjen, two discs doesn't make the album twice as good. Pick and choose the better versions of each track next time and put together one really good, interesting album, instead of two decent ones. It's definitely unique in Arjen's category for the total lack of synths alone, as well as the very pure sound of the Gentle disc, but it may be my least favorite Arjen release to date, at least of the ones I've heard.

Favorite Tracks: Shores of India (Both), The Storm (Both), Cape of Storms (Both), Endless Sea(Storm), Heart of Amsterdam (Gentle)
Least Favorite Tracks: Eyes of Michiel (Both), Brightest Light (Gentle), The Greatest Love (Both)

5.75/10

DTF Addendum:
Yeah, this one... is just really frustrating for me. Maybe there's a good album in here somewhere but I've kind of given up on liking Anneke at this point, her voice is inoffensive at best and boring at worst. I think an issue I overlooked here is that this just doesn't hold up on relistens - especially with listening to both versions and thus getting really tired of the song's main melodies and arrangements. I got tired of this pretty dang fast and basically didn't spin it again for almost a year until I got around to relistening for the review.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:26:56 AM by Parama »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2016, 01:02:58 AM »
You're crazy :loser:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2016, 01:06:10 AM »
I don't think I've listened to this since it came out either. I thought both discs were monotonous and bland, and it was too Arjen-by-the-numbers.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2016, 01:06:17 AM »
yeah i'm waiting for evermind to show up

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 01:15:02 AM »
My #2 album of 2015. Absolutely don't agree the songs sound lifeless - I think it's the most lively album from all Arjen's side projects.

Don't get the part about Anneke too, she sounds awesome here to my ears, much better than, say, on 01011001. I don't hear how she's emotionless and dry, especially on the songs you listed as an example. Seriously, I should've stopped reading after you noted that Anneke sounds dry at The Moment.

Shores of India and The Storm are my two least favourite tracks on the album too. The Storm version of The Storm is especially bad, worst song on the album by a mile.

I should probably stop following this list at this point. Hopefully you didn't check Rattle That Lock out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 01:18:31 AM »
i never said she sounded dry during The Moment, honestly that's probably one of the better tracks here vocally  :lol
also yeah you won't find anything you like near the top of this list anyways so
and no i did not check that out.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 01:22:53 AM »
Well, you said

She's good on the same tracks that have more alive instrumentation, and drier on the more boring songs.

and in the beginning, you said Shores of India, The Storm and Endless Sea are good, and the rest of songs are boring. So I unconsciously surmised you lump The Moment to "more boring" songs because I expected the worst after reading that first paragraph.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 02:33:39 AM »
I'll hunt you for Kimbra!  :flame:

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 02:55:25 AM »
Yeah. As much as I love Arjen's stuff, this did nothing for me at all. I found it incredibly boring and as you said, lifeless.

wow wtf I actually agree with Parama for once

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2016, 09:20:13 AM »
Arjen bores me with everything he does, so I never even checked this one out.