Author Topic: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (WE HAVE A WINNER, LADS!)  (Read 60584 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 6 - TIDBITS)
« Reply #420 on: July 09, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »
I bet mine is one of the groovy ones.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 6 - TIDBITS)
« Reply #421 on: July 10, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »
I'll just go ahead and give you the

ROUND 6 - OPEN ROUND III: RESULTS

This was a particularly good round, easily the best one along with round 3 so far in the roulette. There's not a single song I don't enjoy.

Let's dive into it:

Train Of Naught
Foals - Inhaler

You pointed out this being an indie-rock song, and yeah, I can see it. But the thing is, this is the most fun I've ever had with an indie-rock track. It's also one of the most unique of its genre, so it definitely caught my attention.
I love the instruments in it, the general sound production and the groovy atmosphere in this. Also that sudden heavy chorus is a highlight.
Cool track!
8/10

Tyrias
Gorilla Rodeo - ...And The Devil May Care

This was a pleasant surprise, literally. After a gloomy intro, which doesn't tell you where the song is going (I mean, after that intro the song could go anywhere), the track transitions into latin-country-rock glory. Another case of the 'one of the most unique and enjoyable songs of this genre'.
I mean, this one is really really fun to listen to. I like the singer's voice, it fits well with the music.
8.5/10

twosuitsluke
Machine Head - Halo

Other than the fact that they toured with Metallica and that there was one song of theirs on a Guitar Hero game, I know little about Machine Head. But I know enough to know that The Blackening should be a really good album, and finally I get around to test it.
Impressions?
Well, the first half of the song is good enough, a groove metal melodic piece, that is decent enough. The real magic though starts after the guitar solo, as you yourself have stated in your PM  :lol
After quite an heavy breakdown, the guitar solo keeps things going and at one point there's this gorgeous guitar harmony going on for a while, and it's just the two guitars, nothing more. That was a jaw dropping moment. After that the song quiets down, to explode again in full glory.
This song is a bit inconsistent because of that, the second half is incredibly superior than the first. But overall, great stuff there.
9/10

splent
Jean-Luc Ponty - The Trans Love Express

Some fine musicianship in this one. An extremely groovy (I can almost taste the groove, it's insane) instrumental track that cuts right to the point and gets my head bopping from the get-go. The guitar work is quite good, and overall this kinda reminds me of Rush. Nothing much else to say.
8/10

Parama
Oceans Of Slumber - Winter

Yes, Parama, you guessed right.
This fucking song.
Now, how is it you keep sending outstanding stuff, is out of my mind. Please, teach me your ways.
This song is, simply put, pretty much perfect. The thing that stands out is how the lyrics accompany so well the music, this sounds like winter. Just like Opeth sound like autumn and desolation. It's the same feeling I get, and that's hard to accomplish.
Plus, the female singer is an incredible addition to this vibe. She has such a great voice too.
At one point, some brutal screeching vocals enter and make the song even more eerie, and this is another singer I really enjoy.
This is just a wonderful composition, I should really check out this band, never even heard of them.
9.5/10

Stadler
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Knife Edge

This is another historical band I should've really checked out at this point, but didn't.
Quite a catchy song, that plays with dynamics really well, the riff is quirky, I enjoy it. The instrumentation of this song, in general, are really cool, almost playful. It gives me an idea of a fun jam session with a band, I can really picture it in my head. Good song.
7.5/10

Tomislav95
Red Fang - Wires

Quite a fun song, this is. I love the dirty riffing, with the fuzz effect. As I've already stated, stoner rock production sounds great for me, and this song does bring that to the table. Everything is so electric here, I'm almost arfraid to touch my headphones fearing to get electrocuted or something. So yeah, what I really dig here is the vibe of the track.
8/10

Evermind
David Gilmour - Faces Of Stone

Good old David Gilmour. Unfortunately I never checked out his solo career, but it sounds like it's quite the stuff. This song is quite unique from what I know about him: it has circus-like brass sections! It kind of blew my mind. It's beautiful to hear those Pink Floyd soundscape in modern production. There's one part that really reminds me of Hey You, and David sounds like Roger here, acting-wise. I have no idea what the song is about, but it does sound like it comes from a concept album. A strange mix of new sounds and nostalgia.
8.5/10

Scorpion
Wilderun - The Garden Of Fire

This is an insane progressive-death metal song. Reminds me of Opeth but it's also something completely on its own. At the beginning it sounds like Native Construct to me, then as the vocals enter it gets super dark. The song then continuosly alternates between clear and distorted vocals, with a couple of really nice orchestral spots. The songwriting is great, throughout its ten minutes the song never gets boring or repetitive. Folk acoustic guitars, growls, cinematic orchestral composition.. just everything you might want from this type of music, done greatly.
9/10

Elite
Textures - New Horizons

I was missing some djenty stuff in the roulette (apart from Meshuggah last round), and here it is! While some of these ideas are a bit predictive and over-used in general, I can get a kick out of this thanks to the sheer energy it has! The vocals really drive the track, it sounds anthemic. So yeah, I have a feeling that this song live ought to be mind-blowing. Nothing that original but it's good nontheless!
7.5/10

Sacul
Zardonic - Vigilante

I don't know where this comes from, who made it, and why you sent it. I just know that this is how I'd like to party. It just feel wrong to listen to this song while sitting. This is the type of music to get people pumped, even the lyrics tell "Get up again come on come on come on".
It's an electronic base, with hip-hop type of vocals, heavy guitars and dubstep sounds every once in a while.
Just amazing and fun times with this song.
9/10

---

What a great round! Not even a vote below a 7.5. I bet you want the charts, huh? I'll give ya sum charts:

Evermind 51
Parama 51
Train Of Naught 50
Tyrias 49.5
Scorpion 49.5
twosuitsluke 47
Sacul 46.5
splent 45.5
Tomislav95 44
Stadler 43
Elite 43

You can now start to send for round 7 (somebody already did, actually), which is the dark round. I'll just put the description for this round here:

Either if it's discordant chords, a sinister drone or generally doomy atmosphere, suicidal/homicidal thoughts or even more fucked up stuff, I really love the gut wrenching feeling that dark songs are capable to give to me. I'm looking for that, I'm looking for stuff that makes me feel a little uncomfortable but just as much for me to freaking adore the music. Or, something similar, that makes me want to cry a lot. The choice is yours. Send away!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:22:31 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 7 - RESULTS)
« Reply #422 on: July 10, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
David Gilmour - Faces Of Stone

Good old David Gilmour. Unfortunately I never checked out his solo career, but it sounds like it's quite the stuff. This song is quite unique from what I know about him: it has circus-like brass sections! It kind of blew my mind. It's beautiful to hear those Pink Floyd soundscape in modern production. There's one part that really reminds me of Hey You, and David sounds like Roger here, acting-wise. I have no idea what the song is about, but it does sound like it comes from a concept album. A strange mix of new sounds and nostalgia.

I did tell you exactly what this song is about though, it was in the PM I sent you. ;) But hey, I'll take 8.5, good enough score.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #423 on: July 10, 2016, 10:13:08 AM »
Oh shit then i don't remember. Sorry  :blush

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
these aren't round 7 results  :lol

anyways, yes, winter is great
time to lose it all with another 6.5  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #425 on: July 10, 2016, 10:26:54 AM »
I'm going to get a 0 this round
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #426 on: July 10, 2016, 10:32:43 AM »
Yea, maybe the second half of Halo is better but it's because it builds to it. You've got to half the first half of the song so you can build to the climax. It wouldn't work if it was all climax  :lol

Think I've got the perfect band for the next round. Not seen them mentioned here on DTF as far as I can remember. The founding member and driving force behind this band suffers with depression I think and has said in many interviews that he's wanted to end it all many times.

This could work  :|

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #427 on: July 10, 2016, 10:34:18 AM »
Sent. I hope you won't get depressed after this round :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #428 on: July 10, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
Sent with the darkest song I know.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #429 on: July 10, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
New Horizons is definitely better live, yes. I actually didn't dare send one of their more fucked-up heavy tracks, because I though it would get a lower score. In hindsight, I should have sent one of those anyway. A 7.5 is peanuts in this roulette.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: July 10, 2016, 10:47:49 AM »
Sent some noir, which according to Sacul isn't really noir, so there.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #431 on: July 10, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
Sent one of my favourite vocal performances. We'll see how this goes.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline mikemangioy

Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 6 - RESULTS)
« Reply #432 on: July 10, 2016, 12:17:34 PM »
Nooice
these aren't round 7 results  :lol

foreshadowing

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
Fair enough. :tup

I was literally going to send Machine Head for the next round but figured that just 'dark subjects' wouldn't cut it for this round, as it's going to be graded for how dark it sounds aswell I assume. Was gonna go with my favorite, A Farewell To Arms. Mike, you really need to hear this album, it's right up your alley :metal

Textures hasn't really clicked with me. Checked out the new album upon release and it has been my least favorite album of the year since :lol given, I've almost only checked out stuff I was really sure of liking so far, and this was more of a random spotify lurk.

Will send shortly!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »
Oh, whoops. I didn't realise that this round was the dark one, haha.

I think I'll stick with my submission, it kinda fits. :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #435 on: July 11, 2016, 02:33:42 PM »
no clue what to send tbh, may send something I'm not even that familiar with yet because it fits???

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #436 on: July 11, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
I think my submission is likely to just fit the theme and be dark as fuck. But it won't end up being a song I would ever send in a roulette otherwise.

You've said you want dark, I'll try to tick the boxes for lyrically dark and also with an ominous feel.

Will send in the next 24 hours, sorry for the delay. I want it to be DARK!!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #437 on: July 11, 2016, 02:41:44 PM »
Sent a Scorpion-approved doom band :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #438 on: July 11, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »
I sent something I had been planning on sending since the first round or so.  But while I love the song, I feel like I will be continuing my downward spiral. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: July 11, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »
no clue what to send tbh, may send something I'm not even that familiar with yet because it fits???

Just don't send Amadeus Awad.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #440 on: July 11, 2016, 03:24:03 PM »
downward spiral.

I actually thought about sending something from this album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2016, 03:31:22 PM »

imo i think Mike would hate them  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #442 on: July 11, 2016, 03:40:29 PM »
I considered sending something off the new Cult Of Luna/Julie Christmas album, but in the end I just had to go with my guts, sent Amadeus Awad :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #443 on: July 11, 2016, 03:51:22 PM »
Sent some noir, which according to Sacul isn't really noir, so there.
When I think of noir, I think of this, Ulver's Perdition City (particularly Hallways of Always), and the Twin Peaks soundtrack.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #444 on: July 11, 2016, 04:48:18 PM »
Hallways of Always is amazing
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: July 11, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »
downward spiral.
I actually thought about sending something from this album.
I thought about something from The Fragile or With Teeth, but they're banned  :sadpanda:

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #446 on: July 12, 2016, 01:34:10 AM »
Yup, NIN are banned.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: July 12, 2016, 03:44:05 AM »

imo i think Mike would hate them  :lol

We shall see.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2016, 11:30:53 AM »
Sent......finally.

This is not what I ever pictured myself sending at all but it fits the theme. Also the accompanying fan made video is just mind blowing and adds to the whole thing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »
Sent dark music with female vocals.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #450 on: July 13, 2016, 06:57:14 AM »
Sent dark music with female vocals.

Ditto  :corn

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #451 on: July 13, 2016, 07:16:47 AM »
My song isn't really dark, it's just kinda depressing and really heart-wrenching. I hope that that works for Mike.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #452 on: July 13, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »
My song isn't really dark, it's just kinda depressing and really heart-wrenching. I hope that that works for Mike.

Same here... it's not really heart-wrenching (well it COULD be)... but it's especially poignant especially in today's society.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #453 on: July 13, 2016, 12:27:07 PM »
I haven't sent yet, feeling like I won't be happy no matter what I send. I hate themed rounds now tbh  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #454 on: July 14, 2016, 07:31:23 AM »
feeling like I won't be happy no matter what
That's pretty deep bro