Author Topic: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (WE HAVE A WINNER, LADS!)  (Read 60058 times)

Offline Tomislav95

I have no idea which one is mine. But I'm glad you like this song better than my first two submissions :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 3 - LISTENING)
« Reply #281 on: June 05, 2016, 09:40:04 AM »
Parama
1. Round 3
2. Into the Uncanny
3. Fjara
holy spoilers batman  :corn
based on this i'm going to guess the last tidbit

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I don't even remember what I sent you... that's bad :lol

But I'm very happy you enjoyed it whatever it is :lol... I remember a few of the songs I was thinking of sending you but don't remember what one I did.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
If you do the blurred entry soon I will be able to figure it out :lol THEN I will guess what I sent you. I'm like 70% sure about what I sent you though...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I'm 90% sure someone sent that Foxy Shazam song again. I personally hate it but it always seems to do amazing in roulettes and this one is probably no exception :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

Nice, so I'm either first or second after this round? I'll take that :lol.
Quality entertainment. That's all there is to say about this one.

I fucking love songs like these. You probably hit the soft spot for me right there. Insanely reminds me of a band from my country.

And given it seems to be at least an 8.5, I guess it's one of these tidbits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
According to these rankings, my song is between a song that got me an 8, and a song that got me an 8. Wonder what kind of score I'll get this time! :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I'm 90% sure someone sent that Foxy Shazam song again. I personally hate it but it always seems to do amazing in roulettes and this one is probably no exception :corn

Well, it wasn't me this time.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
My song this round is better than Oddisey tho  :corn

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Top one is mine
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Those guys are really hilarious. :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
yeah, they are!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I wish I knew who it is then  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 3 - LISTENING)
« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »
Not sure why this song exists
Pretty much my reaction every time I hear Dying in A-Minor by Angelic Process
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
that quote is never allowed to leave your signature tbh

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
 :lol I'm just kinda abusing it right now I admit, I feel like an asshole.

But the sig ain't going nowhere until I find a better one

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
who's red-y for results?

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Mr Spaghetti has told me results should be in a few hours :P

Offline Tomislav95

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
But WHERE IS THE BLURRY PIC MAN

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
my name's blurrypic and I don't exist

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Mr Spaghetti has told me results should be in a few hours :P

You spoilerous fuck

But WHERE IS THE BLURRY PIC MAN
Tbh, I thought the blurred list were the rankings I put after the tidbits. I haven't been following roulettes a lot lately so I'm wrong, I think.

But.

Here they are!

ROUND 3: JOYOUS ROUND
THE RESULTS

Damn, what a round. The reason why I like themed stuff like this is that I enjoy each different interpretation of the theme, and yeah, at times themed rounds are even more varied than open rounds. This was one of those cases, IMHO.

Tyrias
Caravan Palace - Suzy

Damn. If this doesn't make you happy, then I don't know what else. This is an incredibly fun electro-swing song. As soon as you told me the genre, I knew that I was in for some crazy piece of music. And I was not wrong. This manages to be extremely catchy and upbeating, but also captivating. I love the use of the bass synth united with tons of acoustic instruments. And the vocals, man.
Also, having recently read and watched The Great Gatsby, this fits incredibly well in the mindset of that story. Great, great sumbission.
9/10

Stadler
Asia - Open Your Eyes

This rather standar classic rock tune didn't exactly stand out in this round. It's something I've heard quite a lot before, and didn't really want something like this in this round. It's not even that happy so even more, this might be the song that didn't do a lot for me, compared to the other stuff you sent.
5/10

splent
Triumph - Magic Power

Now, this is another classic rock piece. But it does the job better. It's catchy, it's fun to listen to, puts a huge grin to my face. I don't know what it is, probably mainly the groove, but this song is pretty much the epitome of 'cheesy happy'. And I fucking adore cheese. You could define this as a cheesier version of Rush, the vocals really remind me a lot of Geddy Lee. The only letdown is that it's a bit repetitive, but eh, I can overlook that. It's a pretty nice song overall.
8/10

Tomislav95
Ensiferum - One More Magic Potion

I'll start with saying that the main riff is one of the coolest folk metal riffs I've ever heard. With that said, this song is cool enough. The vocals are a bit out of place in my opinion, but not that much. They don't distract me from the atmosphere at all, I just think that they would work better if done clean.
What to say about this? It's definitely a good folk metal song. I've heard much happier and more fun songs from this genre, though, I admit. But yeah, decent entry nonetheless.
7.5/10

Train Of Naught
Moron Police - Stomp That Goomba

Another case of 'love at first sight' , just like with Suzy. I mean, look at that title. Look at that friggin' title. It's such a fun song. It has cool riffs but also this crazy attitude, resembling Twelve Foot Ninja and System Of A Down, like you said, Train. It's great from start to finish, quality entertainment. Nothing else to say.
9/10

Sacul
Anathema - Dreaming Light

Sacul has sent this Anathema song. Anathema is a beautiful band that writes beautiful music. I know what of their albums and it's pretty much a trip through the clouds. This song stays of that idea. It's certainly not the best I've heard from this guys, but it does its job greatly: melodies, strings and piano intertwine in a gentle lullaby that soothes me a lot. Yes, this is like drinking a cup of hot milk before going to sleep. Also, it reminds me of early Coldplay, which is a good thing.
8/10

Parama
The Hirsch Effekt - Cotard

So. This song. This song is many things. First of all: incredible songwriting. It's pretty melodic and happy but can be fucking crazy and heavy, staying coherent throughout. It's an incredibly fun song, that throws at you so many ideas at ones that you can't help but be amazed. This was quite a surprise, infact. I fucking love songs like these. You probably hit the soft spot for me right there.
The instrumental section even works as 'joyous' since it's so good and fun, that I grin like Marco Minnemann each time. The crazy bits remind me of Destrage quite a lot, but the noisy production makes everything even more crazy and grand.
Possibly the best song yet in the roulette.
9.5/10

Elite
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Pena

Rich, you could've sent many things. And you've chosen this.. thing. Now, as much as I love fucking batshit crazy stuff, when they're out of context I'm left kinda dizzy. This was pretty much that case. Like you said, it made me laugh a lot, but also question my entire existence and the human race's purpose.Hell, I'm not even sure why this song exists. It definitely makes my day more interesting. I just don't get why wasting some good points on this. Man, I guess I would've done a similar thing though  :rollin
6/10

Scorpion
Cat Empire - Fishies

This is another pretty fun little song. The instrumentation is very nice and serves as a really chill song that I enjoy a lot. I like the groove in this song, and I think it would fit greatly in a movie. The chorus is catchy at it makes my head bob a lot. It's pretty infectious overall, also because of the bassline. The piano solo is great, too. Really great, dynamically too.
8/10

Evermind
Bodies Of Water - Gold, Tan, Peach & Grey

This song is a bit strange. The intro really reminds me of Bent Knee, but then the song goes full indie rock. But it's not even straight indie rock, its texture is pretty thick: trumpets, a bit of ambient and just a splendid wall of vocals that really animates and makes the song interesting for me.
8/10

twosuitsluke
The King Blues - Let's Hang The Landlord

This is pretty much a straight rock song with a slight punk feel to it, and while it's definitely decent, it didn't really bring any form of joy or happiness to me, except for the fact that it sounds like a song straight out from a campfire or a musical. It's quite easygoing, if you know what I mean. The vocals don't quite do it for me, they are a bit too gang-ish. So, not that awesome, but still enjoyable.
7/10

---

This was a damn good round. Make round 4 even BETTER!
Here is the current chart:

Tyrias (25.5)
Train of Naught (25.5)
Parama (25.5)
Scorpion (24)
Evermind (24)
Sacul (23.5)
Stadler (21.5)
Tomislav95 (21)
twosuitsluke (20.5)
splent (20)
Elite (19.5)
Looks like there's some strong tie in the podium. Things will get more interesting.

You can send round 4, another open round. Make it great!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:08:34 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Isn't Bolsters the blurry pic man
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (ROUND 3 - RESULTS)
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2016, 03:05:20 PM »
I can't believe evermind stole one of my bands I wasn't planning to enter here anyways

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2016, 03:08:12 PM »
This song was the first joyous song I thought of, and it's a good one, so why not.

And seems like it's yet another roulette where I seem to get the same eight points score every round. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »
Awesome, didn't think I'd still be tied for first after that teaser but seems like it grew on you.

I was a bit unsure about this one, but only because there's like 5-6 just-as-good songs on the album, it's really up your alley and I bet you'll dig it.

I want to think a bit about round 4 now, I've had 2 bands on my mind but they couldn't have been more different from eachother :lol I'll probably send tomorrow.

Oh and Suzy is awesome :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2016, 03:21:05 PM »
it's better than my "two 9.5's and still only tied for first because of a 6.5" though  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2016, 03:23:40 PM »
Good, I'm not even on the list of participants now.
Squ

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
Nice, I hope I can continue to do as good as I've done so far. Will send in a few minutes.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
Good, I'm not even on the list of participants now.
You're eliminated already :P
I expected 1 point more but 7,5 is more than decent but I should really step up my game.
I probably won't sent anything until tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #312 on: June 07, 2016, 03:43:47 PM »
Screw it, sent round 4! A band I've been wanting to send in roulettes for ages but never came around to. I had a classic Train band planned but fuck it

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #313 on: June 07, 2016, 04:05:43 PM »
Seriously though, Pena deserves at least an 8.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »
uhh i dunno what to send and i'm leaving for a trip in a few hours but i'll try to figure out something?  :lol