Author Topic: mikemangioy's Roulette II: An Unexpected Tourney (WE HAVE A WINNER, LADS!)  (Read 60098 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Can't wait for the tidbits!

Offline Tomislav95

(fist)bump

Where are tidbits? ::)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't really care for tidbits, just came here to post a cat gif.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
where the round 3 results

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline mikemangioy

Heeereee areee some tidbits for ya.

Groovy and catchy. I really like this singer's voice. The middle part reminds me of Rush, which actually makes a lot of sense.

What the hell is going on  :rollin

This song is not too bad, but it's a bit too genre-standard and predictable.

This feels very huge, I'm really enjoying the vibe of it.

Really chilly and groovy. Could fit great in a movie or a videogame.

I'm surprised this isn't all over the radio.

Incredibly stunning. Love everything about this.

This makes me feel like it's 2000 all over again.

This would probably fit better in the context of the album.

I have a feeling that it could benefit a lot with another singer.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, this is mine. I'll stick to unpredictable songs then.

Pity Native Construct is banned, they play wonderfully unpredictable disjointed mess. :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Pity Native Construct is banned.
You can thank me for that :tup

No idea which is mine, could be one regarding the singer, the 'huge' one or the one where it makes more sense in the context of the album. Or of course, if I may be so bold, the one of which you love evrything :laugh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I have a feeling that it could benefit a lot with another singer.

99% sure that this is mine. Hopefully the music is good enough to see past the vocals  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Could this be mine?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Just noticed, either one tidbit is missing or it is done intentionally, 11 players and 10 tidbits, hmm.. :justjen
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
these are so nondescript that i can't be bothered  :lol

Offline mikemangioy

Just noticed, either one tidbit is missing or it is done intentionally, 11 players and 10 tidbits, hmm.. :justjen

these are so nondescript that i can't be bothered  :lol

I like to take the teasing on a whole 'nother level  :xbones

Could this be mine?

You could ask this question 1375 times, I still wouldn't answer.

Offline Tyrias

Heeereee areee some tidbits for ya.

I'm surprised this isn't all over the radio.

This makes me feel like it's 2000 all over again.

All of these could be mine, I guess.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
a whole new level being apathy? cause that's all these instill in me  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
No idea.

Offline Tomislav95

This would probably fit better in the context of the album.
I hope mine is one of those positive tidbits but to be honest, I can see someone calling it genre-standard.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Mine is probably predicable or the context one.

Unless my definition of groove is different than Mike's

Offline twosuitsluke

Soooooooooooooo, results today?

(bit impatient as this is my first real roulette  :biggrin:)

Offline mikemangioy

Soooooooooooooo, results today?

(bit impatient as this is my first real roulette  :biggrin:)

Either later in the day or tomorrow around this hour.

Offline twosuitsluke

Looking forward to it dude

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
inb4 tomorrow
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus

Offline mikemangioy

*snip*

Fine.

ROUND 1: OPENERS
THE RESULTS

Well, you've asked for them. Well, actually.. they were coming anyway. Here are the results for the very first round of the roulette.

Evermind
Vanden Plas - Vision 11even*In My Universe

While this song isn't something exceptionally new, it has grown on me on the last couple of listens. I like the way the song opens up, and damn, this singer is really wicked sounding. Works well with the sinister lyrics. Overall, an enjoyable song, maybe it drags a bit, but it's fairly good.
8/10

Train Of Naught
Xerath - I Hold Dominion

This song is one of the biggest sounding pieces of music ever sent to me in a roulette. The song starts with this cinematic intro, and it cuts to the band which progress in a slow, heavy and glorious march. The song moves along with the vocals, which (as Train wrote in his PM) are insanely Devin Townsend-ish. After this, a cool riff plays and the song kind of repeats itself. This song has a huge vibe, and I can say that I enjoy the hell out of it. It's badass, it makes you feel on top of a cliff while there's a furious battle raging on at its foot. My only complaint it's that it is kind of incosistent, the various parts don't flow really that well with one another, but I don't know, maybe it just requires more listens.
8.5/10

Tyrias
The Struts - Roll Up

This is a little fun tune. I didn't know these guys and it surprises me that this isn't all over the radio. The song is incredibly catchy, with typical glam rock lyrics. Now, Tyrias, you used the world 'pop punk', and I got terribly scared. Pop punk can be good, like all music, but at times it's really hard for me to enjoy it, especially because of the vocals. But to my surprise, I like this singer a lot (he reminds me of Freddie Mercury) and this doesn't sound that pop-punkish like you said. I've been having EVERYBODY WANTS EVERYBODY WANTS stuck in my head for a while now.  it's a fun and enjoyable song for what it is.
8.5/10

Tomislav95
The Sword - Acheron/Unearthing the Orb

This is an instrumental overture to The Sword's album "Warp Riders". Considering this is a concept album, I think this would work better in the context of the record. For what it is, it's an okay instrumental, I love the stoner sound production of it but sadly, that's it. The riff are somewhat heard before and it doesn't really go anywhere, so yeah.. kind of a let down.
6.5/10

Scorpion
Need - Lifeknot

Never heard about these guys before. This was kind of hard to figure out, but in the end it grew on me. At first it sounds like Rammstein, then it's Riverside, and then some Nu Metal band. Part of them make me feel like it's 2000 all over again  :lol
The song flows good though, and I really like the chorus. Overall, it's kind of a weird track, in the "bad" sense of the word. It sounds a bit confused with its ideas, but it's totally decent.
7.5/10

twosuitsluke
The Black Mages - The Skies Above

So, this is supposed to be a 'Final Fantasy' cover band, with songs from its soundtrack, and their original composer on keyboards. Now, the music is decent - some nice 80's power metal vibes. The things that ruin it for me are two:
- The flow: the song starts with a beautiful piano intro that gets abruptly interrupted by the main guitar riff, which is in a different tempo and time signature. It's a bit of a punch in the face. The song then, towards the end, slows down again, and while the transition there is better than the intro, it still feels somewhat awkward.
- The vocals: This guy is undecided whether to be Pavarotti or Jorn Lande. It's pretty bad. I think the song would benefit a lot with another singer.
5.5/10 (sorry to let you down, my friend  :-\)

splent
Angra - Spread Your Fire

I chose Angra within the artist that can be resent because Temple Of Hate, last time, was amazing. A fun, fast track that never let go throughout.
And so, resending this band was a good choice?
Eh.
You chose a particularly standard sounding song that, while good, doesn't bring that fun element that the other track had. Once again, not a bad track, but somewhat standard sounding and predictable.
7/10

Stadler
Genesis - Eleventh Earl Of Mar

I've explored a bit of Genesis' early work because, honestly, who the hell didn't? They are one of the absolute classics of music in general, really.
This song is the opener from the second album without Peter Gabriel, Wind And Wuthering.
One thing stands out here. Phil Collins. Such a tight groove and great vocals. I really enjoy it! The middle clean part reminds me of Rush, which makes a lot of sense. Also, there's a bass line that is fucking amazing! This song has quite the groove going. Also, it may be the best fitting 'opener' that got sent.
9/10

Parama
The Ocean - Mesopelagic: Into The Uncanny
Back when this album came out, I've seen it mentioned here and there, so one day I went on wikipedia to see what it was all about. Turns out, this is a concept album that takes place from the surface, to the lowest point in the ocean, and each song is darker than the one before. That, to me, is a great concept to have in an album. I've never got around to listen to it, but man, thank you for sending this. Now I will for sure.
This is an incredible song. It works well in everything it does. The vibe is amazing, and the chemistry in the band too. The song is dynamic, it constantly shifts, but in a very subtle way. It's incredibly coherent throughout, and I also like the vocals a lot. Also, the opener vibe is there. What more to say? It's stunning. I love everything about this. It's not perfect, but it's close.
9.5/10

Elite
Shining - Fisheye

Once again, I knew these guys, but I wasn't familiar with any of their material. I know they have saxophones inside big metal tunes, but that's about it. But I certainly didn't think they were this mad.
This song sounds literally like Rammstein on acid with english random lyrics. Or at least I think they're random.
With that said, I have an incredible time listening to this tune - it's completely batshit insane. The thing is, it doesn't quite fit the theme in my opinion, so I have to rate it a bit less than I would normally. But don't worry, it's still pretty high.
ONE THREE SEVEN FIVE

8/10

Sacul
Ed Harrison - Tachi

The current champion. I was curious of what you would send me, but in the end I kind of knew what to expect when I saw what you sent. A chill, trip-hop-ish instrumental song, that could fit well in a videogame and/or a movie. I like the vibe of this, although I'm not sure how it could work as an opener. I wouldn't get back to it, but it's a nice track overall, so yeah, a fair
7/10

---
So, that's it. First round has come and gone. The competition, though, has just started. Here is the chart:

Parama (9.5 points)
Stadler (9 points)
Train Of Naught, Tyrias (8.5 points)
Elite, Evermind (8 points)
Scorpion (7.5 points)
Sacul, Splent (7 points)
Tomislav95 (6.5 points)
twosuitsluke (5.5 points)
---
You can now send for round two, which is an open round. Send whatever.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:37:32 PM by mikemangioy »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
First I thought it was ordered from least favorite to favorite and I was like :omg: but 8.5/10 is great! I'll take it. No shame losing to The Ocean either, that's one of the best songs of the album IMO but it's all quality.

I think you'll like Xerath, I would agree some parts feel kinda disjointed at the beginning, but I figured since you like BTBAM and Native Construct you'll learn to live with it at some point, and the other songs are much shorter for the most part and feel more coherent anyways. I just love the huge orchestral opening of this one and that moment the riff kicks in with that scream is :2metal:

I'll decide on my open round song in a bit, reading some of the complaints on the songs of this round I think I have something good planned.

Offline Tyrias

First I thought it was ordered from least favorite to favorite and I was like :omg: but 8.5/10 is great! I'll take it.

Exactly this.

Now, I'll try to stray farther from convention for my next submission. Like I said, I'm not here to win.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
oh wow I won a round of a roulette

time to 5/10 the rest

Offline twosuitsluke

Well that could have gone better  :lol I really wanted to send The Black Mages and that song fit the theme better than most of their songs. I knew it was a bit of a gamble regarding the vocals. Hope it hasn't put you off checking anything else out by them though as they released 3 albums and only about 4 tracks had vocals at all (one female, one all in Japanese, one with minimal vocals and TSA).

Must try harder. Liking the sound of the songs by Xerath and The Ocean. Will check out all the competition before sending round 2.

Offline mikemangioy

I love how you each approach the ratings in your own way  :rollin

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Sent!

Well that could have gone better  :lol I really wanted to send The Black Mages and that song fit the theme better than most of their songs. I knew it was a bit of a gamble regarding the vocals. Hope it hasn't put you off checking anything else out by them though as they released 3 albums and only about 4 tracks had vocals at all (one female, one all in Japanese, one with minimal vocals and TSA).

Must try harder. Liking the sound of the songs by Xerath and The Ocean. Will check out all the competition before sending round 2.

For what it's worth the Black Mages song I got in my roulette wasn't bad.. it was also an instrumental :lol vocals do seem to be the biggest complaint here so I'm getting kinda curious about those.

Xerath and The Ocean are both amazing, definitely do

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Pelagial is great, I'd probably rank Let them Believe over what i sent but it's all good stuff