Poll

Vote for the song that you want to eliminate!

Iron Maiden
13 (50%)
The Number of the Beast
0 (0%)
Piece of Mind
0 (0%)
Powerslave
0 (0%)
Somewhere In Time
2 (7.7%)
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
0 (0%)
Brave New World
0 (0%)
Dance of Death
3 (11.5%)
A Matter of Life and Death
1 (3.8%)
The Final Frontier
7 (26.9%)
The Book of Souls
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: May 10, 2016, 06:37:20 PM

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Spinoff 2016 - Album Survivor - Round 6  (Read 1617 times)

Offline 425

Iron Maiden Spinoff 2016 - Album Survivor - Round 6
« on: May 08, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »
Round 5 Results:

Iron Maiden - 2 votes - 7.1%
Killers - 13 votes - 46.4%
Dance of Death - 3 votes - 10.7%
A Matter of Life and Death - 1 vote - 3.6%
The Final Frontier - 6 votes - 21.4%
The Book of Souls - 3 votes - 10.7%

Eliminated:
12. Killers
13. The X Factor
14. Fear of the Dark
15. No Prayer for the Dying
16. Virtual XI

Killers goes out. There's now only one non-Bruce, non-Adrian album left.

Alright, well, the next logical choice, in my opinion, is the debut. I'm going to hold my vote back, and if that becomes a popular option, I'll jump on it. But I also want to protect my favorite IM album, which finished second this round. I'm willing to throw Dance of Death, which I think should be next after the debut anyway, to the wolves if it preserves TFF.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:39:52 PM by 425 »
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Outcrier

Re: Iron Maiden Spinoff 2016 - Album Survivor - Round 6
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 06:38:17 PM »
The Final Frontier
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:42:22 PM »
The debut.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:02:08 AM »
TFF

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:11:10 AM »
Dear God, all of these are absolutely fantastic!

It has to be the debut, though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:29:14 AM »
The Final Frontier

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 05:05:17 AM »
Dance of Death
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Somewhere in Time.. By a large margin..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
Wow. Fear of the Dark went out so early? I thought people liked that IM album.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 11:56:36 AM »

Iron Maiden

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »

Nah. The four 90s albums are pretty widely regarded as the four worst albums. Only The X Factor has started to transcend that in any serious way in relatively recent years, and even then only among a significant minority of fans.

Voted for the debut.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 01:31:26 PM »

So I'm not the only one after all.. :D

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »

I'm not saying I like it. I've never even finished the album :D I just thought it was one of the fan favourite albums.

Offline 425

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »
Not even close. The title song is a fan favorite and live staple. One other song, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, is very well regarded. The rest is really not well regarded at all compared to their other albums.

The fan favorite albums are The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Some would add Killers or Brave New World. Fear of the Dark is definitely bottom four, and bottom three among those who like or don't mind Blaze Bayley enough to enjoy The X Factor.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
The fan favorite albums are The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Some would add Killers or Brave New World.

Not that i agree or disagree but, how do you know that?

Offline 425

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
I interviewed every single Iron Maiden fan on the face of the earth and aggregated their opinions and found that those were the top six albums they picked, with the former four being significantly enough ahead of the other two, and those being significantly enough ahead of the remaining 10, for me to place them in two separate categories. I can send you an Excel spreadsheet and a slideshow explaining the process behind my statistical analysis if you want. :P

Nah, that's just my best guess from being a former regular on an Iron Maiden forum, being a regular on DTF where we often talk about Iron Maiden, and regularly reading other music sites out there on the internet where they sometimes talk about Iron Maiden. It's not an exact science. I'll allow that you could make an argument that I should have named Somewhere In Time or the debut instead of Killers or Brave New World. But I don't think you could make the argument that I ought to have named Virtual XI and A Matter of Life and Death, because, well, no.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 02:05:15 PM »
I interviewed every single Iron Maiden fan on the face of the earth and aggregated their opinions and found that those were the top six albums they picked, with the former four being significantly enough ahead of the other two, and those being significantly enough ahead of the remaining 10, for me to place them in two separate categories. I can send you an Excel spreadsheet and a slideshow explaining the process behind my statistical analysis if you want. :P

Nah, that's just my best guess from being a former regular on an Iron Maiden forum, being a regular on DTF where we often talk about Iron Maiden, and regularly reading other music sites out there on the internet where they sometimes talk about Iron Maiden. It's not an exact science. I'll allow that you could make an argument that I should have named Somewhere In Time or the debut instead of Killers or Brave New World. But I don't think you could make the argument that I ought to have named Virtual XI and A Matter of Life and Death, because, well, no.

lol, good answer

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 02:14:54 PM »
Nah, that's just my best guess from being a former regular on an Iron Maiden forum, being a regular on DTF where we often talk about Iron Maiden, and regularly reading other music sites out there on the internet where they sometimes talk about Iron Maiden. It's not an exact science.

Ok. The only source i have is these ratings sites but, as they aren't only composed by Maiden fans obviously, it doesn't really represent what the fanbase thinks.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:36:06 PM by Outcrier »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
I think the fan base as a whole only agrees that the four album span of NPftD through V11 is the worst 4 album span of the band, as to what the best is, I don't think you'll find a consensus.

Offline 425

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 02:38:59 PM »
I think the fan base as a whole only agrees that the four album span of NPftD through V11 is the worst 4 album span of the band, as to what the best is, I don't think you'll find a consensus.

That's probably true for the most part. I agree that you can ask 10 different Maiden fans what their favorite album is and get 10 different answers. But I think if you asked those same 10 fans for their top five, you'd see some albums that are recurring (POM, PS, SSOASS) and some that may be somebody's favorite, but don't really appear often, comparatively, in the lists of others (SIT, TXF, TFF). So I think we can make some generalizations about what the fan favorites are, though we have to acknowledge that they are generalizations.

For one thing, there is a significant portion of the fanbase that does not really like DoD-TBoS. I don't think you'll find many Iron Maiden fans who don't like TNOTB-PS. And most of the fans like SSOASS as well—only the really anti-synth people don't—and a lot of people put it in their top three. To me, then, it makes sense to call TNOTB, POM, PS and SSOASS the fan favorites.

Since NPFTD-VXI are widely considered to be weak and DoD-TBoS have a significant number of detractors (seriously, look at how people who love Iron Maiden's "classics" often feel about those albums. You can find them in reviews of those albums or in comment sections on articles posting setlists from the AMOLAD or TFF tours), that leaves IM, Killers, SIT and BNW unaccounted for. I chose Killers because a lot of the NWOBHM or thrash metalhead people really love that one (look at what happens when they talk Iron Maiden on That Metal Show, for example—Trunk and his crew go straight to Killers), and BNW, because that got a lot of goodwill for being the "return" of Iron Maiden. But I could see an argument for IM or SIT.

And again, this is all guesswork. But I think there's some validity to it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 02:41:48 PM »
Yeah, without seeing the fans talking about it, i wouldn't guess Killers is more loved than Somewhere in Time or even the debut.

Offline 425

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »
The issue there is that you're looking at different segments of the fanbase. I think there's a segment of the fanbase that really loves Killers—the metalhead, thrash/NWOBHM segment, which loves that one because it's their most rough-and-tumble straight-ahead metal album. And there's a segment of the fanbase that really loves Somewhere In Time—the Adrian Smith fan segment, which really appreciates his significant contributions on that album (this segment has a large showing on the MaidenFans forum). And the rest of the fanbase as a whole would probably rate both of those towards the middle of the stack. So it becomes a question of: 1) which of these two segments is larger and 2) does the opinion of the fanbase outside of these two segments favor one or the other enough to make a difference? And since we have no numbers on this, it becomes a matter of just guessing. So I think you could make an argument for either one.

What I will say with regard to the debut, is that one doesn't really have a segment of the fanbase, that I've seen, that really loves it. The general fanbase may rate it above Killers, but Killers has a group of devotees, which I don't really see for the debut.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »
What I will say with regard to the debut, is that one doesn't really have a segment of the fanbase, that I've seen, that really loves it. The general fanbase may rate it above Killers, but Killers has a group of devotees, which I don't really see for the debut.

That's strange for me. I always saw Killers as kinda of a lesser version of the debut.

Offline 425

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
That's my opinion on it as well. It is more of a driving metal album, though. The debut has two ballads plus a longer song with a slow section in the middle, which are among the album's best songs. Killers has one ballad which isn't among the album's best songs—the best songs are all pretty heavy and fast. So for people who really prefer heavy and fast things, I suppose I can see Killers being preferable to the debut.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »

I'm not saying I like it. I've never even finished the album :D I just thought it was one of the fan favourite albums.

Neither am I.. I meant that I'm not the only one who is surprised by FotD receiving this kind of hate..