Author Topic: "Apple Stole My Music. No, Seriously."  (Read 2932 times)

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: "Apple Stole My Music. No, Seriously."
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »
Seems to be mostly BS:

https://www.snopes.com/apple-music-deleting-files/

The feature does seem a little odd, though. It doesn't surprise me that Apple is trying to guide users into an all cloud world.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 12:36:22 PM »
I love Apple's products; hate their services.  Don't use anything iCloud, or Apple Music.  Way too much 'big brother' behaviour/mentality there.

This is how I feel. I love my 160gig ipod classic, it works like new and is in my opinion one of the best mp3 players made.

The software, iTunes in particular is atrocious, I'll never forget years ago when I was painstakingly tagged all my mp3's and did something while trying to sync my ipod with itunes, songs were gone and tags were all screwed up. That was the last time I every let iTunes manage anything automatically.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
As if they're the only tech company that has a terms of service that does this.  ::)

They are, however, the only tech company that cares even a tiny bit about user privacy, as the recent episode with the FBI has shown, so there's that thing that makes them more trustworthy than companies like Google or Microsoft, who love to sell user information to advertisers.

I wouldn't trust MS with a ten-foot pole, but Google is the most transparent company of the three mentioned. Google has a whole set of pages for your account solely dedicated to "this is what we know about you, this is what others see about you, here's how you can download ALL your data and music if you want to, and here's how you entirely erase your profile".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »
Can't say I've heard of a single album that's been released for streaming only and isn't available to own. It's possible someone might have done that as an experiment, but I'm quite confident it'll never become commonplace.

Kanye West. One of the most popular artists in the world right now. You can check iTunes, Amazon, wherever. His new album is nowhere to be found except on Tidal. So this isn't just some marginal thing, this is something being done by very popular artists.

I think, at this point, anyone who trusts Apple with anything should have their head examined.

It should also come as no surprise whatsoever that Apple's terms absolve them of all wrongdoing - that's the exact point of "Terms of Service" - legal insulation from litigation.

As if they're the only tech company that has a terms of service that does this.  ::)

They are, however, the only tech company that cares even a tiny bit about user privacy, as the recent episode with the FBI has shown, so there's that thing that makes them more trustworthy than companies like Google or Microsoft, who love to sell user information to advertisers.

uh, the word "only" isn't even in the post you quoted.  Strawman much?  ::)