Elton John
Led Zeppelin
Journey
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne
Deep Purple
Queen
The Who

Author Topic: DTF's Favorite Non-Dream Theater Artists  (Read 7647 times)

Offline 425

DTF's Favorite Non-Dream Theater Artists
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
With Haken's Affinity coming out this past week, I've noticed that it's one of those releases that seems to be followed by a huge portion of the DTF community, and that has me thinking about how, over the past few years, Haken has achieved a huge, perhaps near-universal, recognition here at DTF. It was already starting in 2013 when DT12 and The Mountain came out just a few weeks apart, and there was a lot of comparison going on between the two, and I think Haken has only become more recognized since then.

So that got me thinking: what artist is the most popular one on DTF besides Dream Theater? Now, I could just run a poll saying "what is your favorite artist," but that wouldn't really answer the question. If one artist is in almost everybody's top 5, but more people have a different one as a favorite, that's not very accurate. I want to measure what artists are the most widely known by DTF.

In order to measure that, I've listed a set of about 40 artists that, in my estimation, are among the most popular ones on DTF, and this poll allows you to choose as many of them as you want. What I'm asking you to do is vote only for the artists that you would consider yourself to be a fan of. That way we can see which artist has the most fans on DTF, and therefore get a good measure of which artist (other than DT) has the most fans here.

If you think I missed anything, suggest it and I'll try to add it into the poll, if it makes sense to do so. Please only suggest artists that you think actually have a chance at being among the most popular on DTF, not just personal favorites.

**The "Devin Townsend/Devin Townsend Project" and "Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree" options include all projects of those artists. The "Neal Morse (solo)" option refers only to his solo career—there are separate options for Spock's Beard, Transatlantic and Flying Colors. I made it this way because DT and SW seem to really dominate all the bands that they're in, while Transatlantic/Flying Colors have other dominant songwriters and Spock's Beard has had a long career after Neal left.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Outcrier

Re: DTF's Favorite Non-Dream Theater Artists
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:25 AM »
"You may only select up to 42 options."

Holy shit  :omg:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »
But don't necessarily select that many! Just the ones that you're a fan of.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »
what artist is the most popular one on DTF besides Dream Theater?
Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree.

/thread.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »
EDIT: On 2nd thought (and when I saw others vote for more bands): Agalloch, Anathema, Haken, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Opeth, Redemption, Riverside, Rush, Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, Tool
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 11:38:59 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
Anathema
Beatles
Genesis
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Metallica
Opeth
Radiohead
Sigur Ros
Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree
Symphony X

From these, i'm only a big fan of Radiohead and Beatles but also voted for others i like.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
Nice idea for a thread.

Let's see:

Avantasia
Ayreon
Haken (I thought about this for a while and decided I like them just enough to be a fan)
IQ
Jethro Tull
Kamelot
Marillion
Nightwish
Pain of Salvation
Pink Floyd
Seventh Wonder
SW / PT
Symphony X

I also voted Redemption even though I only know one song from them, but I've got this feeling I will become a big fan. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
Ayreon
Coheed and Cambria
Devin Townsend
Haken
Nightwish
Riverside
TesseracT
Tool
Transatlantic

R.I.P no Periphery  :'(

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »
I voted for all but about 8-10. Agalloch, Anathema, Opeth, Pain of Salvation, SW/PT, Yes, Rush, Sigur Ros, Riverside, and Devin Townsend being my top 10 on this list.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
The Beatles (my #1 ever)
Genesis
Haken
Iron Maiden
Pink Floyd
Queensrÿche
Rush
Yes
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »
I also voted Redemption even though I only know one song from them, but I've got this feeling I will become a big fan. :lol
:hifive:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
Between the Buried and Me: Only been a real fan for like just over a month but I already have 4 of their albums (Coma, TGM, Parallax and Alaska) and am going to a concert, they already feel like a favorite band to me.

The Dear Hunter
Haken
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Tesseract

Apart from those I'd vote for Deftones, Periphery, Protest the Hero and The Mars Volta (going by popular-ish DTF/prog bands only) but they're not on the list.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Rush, Symphony X, Fates Warning, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Megadeth and Metallica.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 12:22:50 PM »
inb4 Steven Wilson wins this
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »
No David Maxim Micic/Destiny Potato?  :'(

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »
No David Maxim Micic/Destiny Potato?  :'(

Tbh like 5 people on this forum follow that.  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »
Yeah probably not eligible for "DTF favorite". Then again, I don't think I've ever heard of a band called 'The Flower Kings' but that's probably just me then.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »
Decided to go with only five:

Iron Maiden
The Beatles
Rush
Pink Floyd
Radiohead

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »
I voted Maiden and Yes, but I'm surprised The Mars Volta isn't considered an option, since they were more or less big, they had a lot of prog fans, MP was a fan...

Well, at least I was a HUGE fan from 2005 to 2010. Black Clouds and Octahedron came out the same day, so it was a fun Winter over here :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »
Metallica is the big one here for me with them being my all time favorite band. I also selected Megadeth, The Beatles, Tool, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, and Rush
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline 425

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »
Yeah probably not eligible for "DTF favorite". Then again, I don't think I've ever heard of a band called 'The Flower Kings' but that's probably just me then.

Honestly, I have a tendency to view The Flower Kings/Spock's Beard/Marillion/Dream Theater (the four main bands of the Transatlantic guys) as an inevitable grouping similar to how I view Megadeth/Metallica as a pair, so that probably has to do with why I included them.

I'll add Periphery on, since a couple of people mentioned them, and Mars Volta too. You should be able to change your vote if you want.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »
Anathema
Fates Warning
Marillion
Neal Morse
Pink Floyd
Rush
Spock's Beard
Yes

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 01:07:28 PM »
I'll add Periphery on, since a couple of people mentioned them, and Mars Volta too. You should be able to change your vote if you want.

I thought I could but apparently it's not possible. I would've voted for both of those though like mentioned.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 01:08:29 PM »
Could you make it so that we can take back the vote and do it again? I didn't read the OP before voting so I only voted for one.

Offline 425

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »
Hmm, I had it so you were able to, but that changed when I added those two options, and I can't seem to change it back. That's weird.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 01:12:20 PM »
it'll end up being 1 of 3 or 4 names

Pink Floyd
Rush
Opeth

and myself? I can't really say I care at all for Haken. They're more or less this decade's version of Circus Maximus to me. The token prog metal band who gets worshipped but I find to be as derivative as literally dozens of other bands who've come out over the last 20+ years.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »
and myself? I can't really say I care at all for Haken. They're more or less this decade's version of Circus Maximus to me. The token prog metal band who gets worshipped but I find to be as derivative as literally dozens of other bands who've come out over the last 20+ years.

Not agreeing with this at all. Circus Maximus is much more dull and unchallenging than Haken for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »
Great idea, don't get me wrong, but not without a little "WTF".

Sigur Ros and Agollach (I have literally never heard of that second band) is on the list, but Deep Purple - whom the subject band covered a double album IN ITS ENTIRETY - and Black Sabbath are not?  No Led Zeppelin either?   I get it, these are mainstream bands, but I would think the bands that directly influenced the band that brought us here ought to be on the list, at least for some of our older members.

You also have very little (if any) straight up pop.   Again, all the members of the subject band have an affinity of some kind for pop music, and I daresay that Cheap Trick, the Cars, and Elton John would at least do as well as "Periphery". 

Offline 425

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »
I'm judging based on what bands DTF seems to love, not by what the natural related bands to Dream Theater are. I see very little discussion of Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin (let alone Cheap Trick or Elton John) on DTF, while the two bands you mentioned are discussed a lot. I recognize that it's a very subjective thing, but since I can't include every single band, I tried to just judge based on my perception as a forum regular which bands were the most popular.

I've said I'm totally willing to add other artists, but unfortunately in doing so it apparently becomes impossible for people to change their votes anymore, which is something I have no idea how to fix.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 02:07:23 PM »
...but Deep Purple - whom the subject band covered a double album IN ITS ENTIRETY - and Black Sabbath are not?  No Led Zeppelin either?   I get it, these are mainstream bands, but I would think the bands that directly influenced the band that brought us here ought to be on the list, at least for some of our older members.

You also have very little (if any) straight up pop.   Again, all the members of the subject band have an affinity of some kind for pop music, and I daresay that Cheap Trick, the Cars, and Elton John would at least do as well as "Periphery". 

Okay, but none of what you said is in any way relevant to this thread.  Whether the members of DT like certain bands/music or whether they were influenced by certain bands has nothing to do with what this thread is about.  As was explained in the original post, the thread is about bands that have a large fanbase among forum members.  The bands that are mentioned in the poll are arguably the most popular among the membership here.  If you want to do a similar poll about all the myriad bands that may have influenced the members of DT, have at it.  But your confusion is...well, confusing. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »
I totally get what the original post is about, and I didn't do a great job of explaining myself.  Allow me one last shot...

I was born in 1967, not five months from Our Man Portnoy and two months almost exactly from Our Man Petrucci.   And not 100 miles from them, give or take.   Of course I've added and subtracted bands over the years, but it's not like I completely reinvented myself.   And my favorite bands today are the bands I grew up with.

I think for a certain demographic here, perhaps they grew up with the bands that DT influenced, and went back and discovered the greatness.  I do periodically check in with the newer bands but not a lot of it has grabbed me, and now, literally there is too much music out there.

So I guess what I'm saying is, for every 25 year old that loves Haken and Periphery and Agollach, there's an old man like me that digs Elton John and Night Ranger.  And we meet in the middle with Dream Theater.   I just would have thought that some consideration would have gone in for the band itself and the people that are it's members' peers (so to speak). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
You old bastard.  :lol

I'm right behind you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 02:20:33 PM »
People dig Night Ranger??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »
People dig Night Ranger??

I'll cut you....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
I don't think i ever saw someone here mention Night Ranger.

Also, it's Agalloch, not Agollach  :loser: