Author Topic: Dream Theater 4/30 Chicago Theater  (Read 5379 times)

Offline guylemieux

Dream Theater 4/30 Chicago Theater
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:07:28 AM »
So my friend and I along with our wives were at the Chicago Theater show last night.  We've been dream theater fans for more than 25 years since our Berkeley days.  And I don't think I've missed a dream theater show when they come our way through Chicago.  But last night was just weird.  I mean what's up with you young guys now a days?  Everyone just sat and texted through 90% of the show.  Weirdest vibe I've ever seen.  I think the guys felt it on stage.  Is this how it goes now?  Texing, posting, staring at your phone while listening?  Sorry, I'm a software developer, get technology, but it's just too weird for me.

Offline Dream_Theater01

Re: Dream Theater 4/30 Chicago Theater
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
I was also at the show last night, and it was my first Dream Theater concert.  I was blown away.  It was fantastic.  Overall, I felt like the crowd was really into the show.  Some people were on their phones and I don't really agree with that.  I want to watch the show and listen to the music.  The band was great and I can't wait for my next change to see them.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 01:27:26 PM »

I was there, too.  My friend and I bought tickets before we heard the album and we are just not into it.  We went anyway (our other friend bailed and we sold his ticket for 4 dollars to a scalper hoping to make a buck.  Nobody sat in the seat next to us so I actually feel bad for the guy, I think he lost four bucks.  Show was sold out btw). 

Anyway, we left the concert a few songs into the second set.  They weren't terrible but we just could not get into it. 

It was a weird mood, although I didnt see anybody texting.  Woman next to us was sleeping though. 

Usually people jump up as the lights go out but while people were cheering they stayed put and then slowly rose.  After Gift of Music was over everybody sat for almost the whole show.  It was weird. 

James was on fire and the band was tight. People seemed to enjoy it but I noticed a fair number of empty seats in the second set.  Saw a couple people outside that also left early but I think there were more. 

Sooo.....how about DT14? 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »
So my friend and I along with our wives were at the Chicago Theater show last night.  We've been dream theater fans for more than 25 years since our Berkeley days.  And I don't think I've missed a dream theater show when they come our way through Chicago.  But last night was just weird.  I mean what's up with you young guys now a days?  Everyone just sat and texted through 90% of the show.  Weirdest vibe I've ever seen.  I think the guys felt it on stage.  Is this how it goes now?  Texing, posting, staring at your phone while listening?  Sorry, I'm a software developer, get technology, but it's just too weird for me.

Another example of how millennials fail at life.

Offline CB

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »

Wow, that's extremely disrespectful to the band! Anyway, their loss. They have no idea how it feels to be at a concert 100%.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:58:21 PM »
I wish I was there!
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 06:47:25 PM »
Lots of wool this first time poster is pulling over your eyes. 

No cell phones, remember?

The '...since our Berkeley days'  :D  If one is to do a phony post, one should know how to spell the school's name correctly.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jsbru

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 12:02:49 AM »
I was there.  It was awesome.  So what if people were sitting.  DT is different from other rock shows, and this was a rock opera on top of that.  I was actually glad we could watch the show seated.  I was drunk as hell and singing along at the top of my lungs.  Crowd was cheering pretty loud nonetheless.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline guylemieux

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 08:20:51 AM »
Lots of wool this first time poster is pulling over your eyes. 

No cell phones, remember?

The '...since our Berkeley days'  :D  If one is to do a phony post, one should know how to spell the school's name correctly.

No there were lot's of cell phones. The rule is is no pictures or video's.  And the real Berkley is in California.  Not the Berklee school of music in Boston. 

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »
I was there. From where I was (middle of balcony), I could see one person who eventually checked their phone. Not sure how long s/he spent on it since my eyes stayed focused at the stage almost the whole time.

The crowd cheered around one hundred times through the concert. Even sitting, I felt people were really enjoying the show. I don't think the band would feel differently.

Myself, I had high expectations for the concert, first time seeing DT. Not disappointed at all! Great playing, incredible night, amazing energy. Astonishing.

Offline robbob

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
Great show, but that really is expected,never really seen them give a so-so performance. It was surprising that most people sat throughout the whole concert. But, I think that was due to the "rock opera" feel of playing the whole, new album.

The crowd was very energetic, even while sitting. Great applause after every song.