Author Topic: 2016-5-3 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
2016-5-3 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:17:06 PM »
Who else is going?

I'm gonna be traveling from New Mexico the day before with a friend. Enjoy the day and walk around downtown that day until the show. He works at a Hotel here so we get a discount on a room, yay.

Going to be my first evening with show, helps that I enjoy The Astonishing a lot as well.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline eric303

Re: 2016-5-3 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
I will be there along with a friend...this will be my 2nd DT show at the Paramount. Looking forward to it for sure!. :)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:09:21 PM »
Flying from Austin in the morning.

Also, JP is going to be at the Arvada Guitar Center at 230. I'll see if I can make it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:04:13 AM »
I was hoping to fly out later on tonight. Looks like that plans out the window, the flight I was looking at got booked before I could actually pay for them.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:51:11 PM »
Here in the Denver town.

Anyone know good places to munch?

Offline dvargas

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »
Im going too.

It'll be my 5th DT show. 

8vm, SC, ADTOE, DT and this. Fan since Awake came out. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
Anyone down to meet up later. We're in tech, long story. But we'll be in lodo around 2-3, if anyone wants to chill.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 02:07:13 PM »
5 more hours....

So excited. In Lodo now at Falling Rock. Gonna hit up 1up when it opens then head to the venue.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 05:52:34 PM »
Got my wife to join me for only her second DT show (my 18th or so).  We flew in from Phoenix this morning and have been chilling all day. Looking forward to the show. Dinner next to the theater and then it's showtime! See you there!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 06:04:15 PM »
I'm here and queer

Offline eric303

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 02:13:57 AM »
Good show for sure! Cant wait to see them again on the next tour.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »
My short review from last night (I just posted it on the MP forum)

Well...the Denver show last night was probably the 2nd best DT concert I've ever witnessed (RCMH being the 1st). I didn't like TA completely until last night. You guys even say my playlist where I trimmed out some tracks. Well, on my flight back, I listened to TA completely and enjoyed every second of it after witnessing it live.I think the cd production took away some of the details on TA. The Astonishing is full of "Dream Theaterisms" but I guess I didn't notice them until I finally saw them last night...There's crazy playing, solos, unisons, throughout the album. Now I can say TA is a Dream Theater album (I just didn't see it when I first heard TA). This show made me appreciate and fully grasp The Astonishing and I can honestly place it in my Top 5 DT albums (Images, Scenes, Awake, Six Degrees, TA).

The show was superb. The sound was amazing, although a tad loud, but you could hear every single instrument clearly. James sounded great and he did a hell of a job. Must have been overwhelming to memorize all the lyrics and sing those parts. Mangini, wow...I think his nickname should be Mike "Holy Fuck'n" Mangini. His kit sounded a lot better than the studio version and not that it should matter to me, but his kit really looked very clean without those extra bass drums on the sides (he only had 2 instead of 4). There were no formal band introductions, but at one point JP started pointing at the band members, and JM pointed to JP in a very excited way. Never seen him like that. The animations, the live projections, the stage design, even the lighting ...out of this world in my opinion. Not sure why some people don't like it. I thought it fit very well and complemented the narration of the story appropriately. It's hard  to see screen and to see the band playing at the same time just because the guys' playing is always interesting to see.

Hope you guys don't miss it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »
JM pointing at JP resulted in the loudest cheer of the night in CT.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
I thought it was an incredible show, and kudos to "most" of the audience for respecting the wishes of the band and respecting the music during the show.  I thought it was great that James had everyone stand for the last songs...it really brought up the crowd excitement for the show's conclusion.  It's almost too bad that the first act doesn't end with A New Beginning though, because it almost seemed anti-climactic to play another song before intermission after JP's incredible guitar solo.  Also, as others have pointed out, you really don't get a sense for what MM's contributions are to the music until you see him do it in person.  It was great watching him have so much fun...especially at the end of the show where he was doing triplets with his right hand and drum rolls with his left.  It really helps you appreciate his technicality.

We had an awesome time in Denver and are looking forward to seeing them again tomorrow night.   :metal :metal :metal