Author Topic: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: Whom Gods Destroy (feat. Bumblefoot, Dino Jelusick, Derek Sherinian)
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2024, 10:23:57 AM »
I agree with Adami. My biggest problem with Sons of Apollo was I didn’t find anything interesting with Bumblefoot. In a guitar-based band, that just doesn’t fly. I tried the Art of Anarchy album with him and JSS, snooze. Then this one, snooze. He seems like a nice guy, but I just don’t get it. 
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #211 on: March 22, 2024, 10:28:24 AM »
He really needs to be the 2nd guitarist in two guitarist band where the other dude/dudette does the main writing. He can add a ton, I'm sure, but writing is just not his thing. Which is fine. Plenty of great musicians who aren't great song writers. Just gotta make sure they're not one of the primary song writers.

Edit: Just looked, out of curiosity. Looks like he is credited on playing on every song on Chinese Democracy, but 0 writing credits.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: March 22, 2024, 10:46:01 AM »
Edit: Just looked, out of curiosity. Looks like he is credited on playing on every song on Chinese Democracy, but 0 writing credits.

That may be a good thing :lol

I have no comment about the album, I didn't like the singles and haven't listened further.  I really didn't connect with Dino's vocals. Don't currently plan on giving it a full try either.  Just doesn't feel worth my time compared to the other music out there at this point.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2024, 10:57:33 AM »
Not for noting, when I saw Guns in... 2014, maybe it was, in the club in Philly, he was on stage for only about half the show.  No reason given, but he would just walk on and walk off.  DJ Ashba did a good amount of the heavy (guitar) lifting, including most of the iconic solos. 

Offline krands85

« Reply #214 on: March 22, 2024, 07:51:30 PM »
1/5. On the plus side, that's half a point more than I'd give Icefish's album. Although one less than I'd give Temic's debut.

Interesting that you compare all these bands here. I like that Icefish record, but for whatever reason it feels very dense/tiring and that's weird considering it's a 45 minute album. I think they over-produced/layered it a bit. Temic I liked too, but I definitely expected more considering the guys involved. WGD, surprisingly, is my favorite of the bunch.
The Icefish album is easily the weakest of the three for me. Ages since I listened to it, but I don't really remember finding any of it interesting. WGD has a bit more that I enjoy, though the rest of the album hasn't really lived up to the first single which I really liked.

Temic on the other hand, I absolutely loved. Probably one of my favourites of last year.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2024, 02:35:28 AM »
I listened to this a couple of times and I like it, it's definitely a grower. But I'm not really sold on the vocals, they seem to forced, even if the singer isn't using that gritty voice.

And it's definitely not Sons Of Apollo with a different singer and rhythm section. While SoA drew heavily from classic rock and traditional (prog-)metal, this one is much more modern metal. Some riffing remindes me of Meshuggah or even Pantera.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2024, 08:52:48 AM »
What I find funny is that this band has a much better and tighter rhythm section compared to SOA... which is funny considering SOA had Portnoy and Sheehan, two of the "biggest" names in the genere.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."