Poll

Does Splent take too long

Yes, he needs to listen more and stop procrastinating even though he's busy as fuck
5 (41.7%)
Yes, but I understand his life is crazy right now so I'll let it slide for now
4 (33.3%)
No, don't worry about it, you're doing fine
0 (0%)
No, in fact you can slow down a bit and it'll still be ok
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.11 - R10 RESULTS!! FINAL ROUND COMMENCING  (Read 89807 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Results tomorrow. I know I said today, but I just was swimming with my daughter literally all day and I'm wiped. Sunday is extremely busy for me (bro in law retirement party, friend's Tony Award party), so I'll make sure they are up before then.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.6 - Round 6: (Results in 24 hours)
« Reply #1366 on: June 10, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
I'll guess C for hangman  :P

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1367 on: June 10, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »
I'll guess C for hangman  :P

No C's.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1368 on: June 10, 2016, 05:53:51 PM »
how about N?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1369 on: June 11, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »
 :corn

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1370 on: June 11, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
:soon:. Within 6 hours. I hope.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1371 on: June 11, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
Fuck, just ran out of popcorn...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1372 on: June 11, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
...then step away from the butter!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1373 on: June 11, 2016, 05:58:42 PM »
Fuck, just ran out of popcorn...

As long as it is not bubblegum.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1374 on: June 11, 2016, 06:05:59 PM »
Bubblegum popcorn?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1376 on: June 11, 2016, 06:38:31 PM »
I'm here to win roulettes and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of good songs to send.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: June 11, 2016, 06:40:14 PM »
 :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1378 on: June 11, 2016, 06:44:58 PM »
Bubblegum popcorn?

https://youtu.be/Wp_K8prLfso

How in the world would you remember that? I saw that in the movies when it came out. It was so bad it was actually pretty good.
Oh..and Roddy Piper.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: June 11, 2016, 06:46:58 PM »
Certain lines stick with you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1380 on: June 11, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »
Working on writeups now. Hopefully won't take too long.

It's been a weird last couple of days. So hopefully I won't get sidetracked. If I don't get these done tonight I won't get them done until Monday because tomorrow is going to be a long day.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1381 on: June 11, 2016, 06:58:06 PM »
ready to send something awesome you'll hate next round since i'm getting eliminated anyways  :corn

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.6 - Round 6: (Results)
« Reply #1382 on: June 11, 2016, 07:40:05 PM »
OK, this was a very strong round overall. There really wasn’t a song that I didn’t like. All of your songs had elements that I really enjoyed in a song with a female vocalists, which shows that you are tuning in to what my tastes are, and I’m really discovering what music I need to listen to more of. Also tbh I forgot what your tidbits were so they may or may not show up in the writeups :lol

Parama: Georgia - Move Systems 8/10
I honestly still don’t know what to make of this… the beginning was someone speaking over music that sounds like it was made by one of those toy casio keyboards we all had as kids… and then “I’m out” and this weird electronic drum grove… and then the vocals, not song, not rapped… it was weird. There were parts of it I liked, the chorus especially… but it seemed a little clunky. Not unenjoyable in the least, but in such a consistent round overall, this seemed like the odd one out.

Big Hath: Sarah McLachlan - Do What You Have To Do - 8.5/10
This took me back. I wish this sound would come back and offset the frenzied pop that dominates the airwaves right now. It’s very tender and soft sounding… I did enjoy it. However, I do enjoy some of the other music that I know by her (basically her mainstream hits; Building a Mystery, Adia, etc) better. This was almost too soft and slow for me. When that happens, sometimes I forget what I just heard. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy it though. It’s great. But even with this type of music is slow, I would prefer a LITTLE edge… I think that’s why I like Tori Amos so much. Good submission, but there was a lot more submitted during this round that I enjoyed more.

Sacul: Janelle Monae - Tightrope 9/10
This was fun. I enjoyed her voice, I loved Big Boi’s rap (nice addition there, you know I like OutKast)... There were definite elements of funk and pop in this… I know anytime she kept saying “on the scene” she’s harkening back to James Brown. I really enjoyed this and just wanted to get up and dance whenever this one came on.

Jingle.boy: Flaming Row - L45 9/10
There were parts of this I REALLY enjoyed. I loved the celtic groove this song had throughout the entire song, I loved the female vocalist… the more edgy male vocalist I was a little eh, but I got past it (it really didn’t fit)... the softer male vocalist worked better. Another grower. Another band I may need to pursue a little bit more.

Lonestar: Beautiful Sin - Take Me Home 9/10
This was a nice change of pace during my order of the playlist. This was very enjoyable power metal… you don’t hear a lot of that with a female vocalist. This was fun. It was solid. Really edgy. The vocalist was not affected sounding that sometimes happens during music by symphonic metal artists with female singers. It was a little cliche, but it was a lot of fun and very enjoyable… this is something that I would like to listen to more.

Tomislav: Goldfrapp - Drew 9/10
What a unique voice. And the buildup of the musicfrom the arpeggiated guitar chords as the song progresses with the addition of the strings really makes the song enjoyable. Another grower, because at first I was like what… but it really grew on me. It did tend to get a little repetitive with the chord progressions (like not the emotion part, but the way the song progressed), but it was still very enjoyable.

Tyrias: London Grammar - Strong 9/10
This song was pretty good. I really like her voice… in this song it almost seems haunting within the simplistic instrumentation that it really works. Truth be told, this song grew on me; at first it seemed TOO simple, but the more I analysed it it became more complex than it appeared. The one criticism, and I”m sure you know, it’s VERY repetative… same chord progression throughout the entire song. But it works.

Bolsters: MO- Never Wanna Know 9/10
Another strong submission. This sounds like it should be the song playing during the credits of a John Hughes movie. I know that’s kind of a weird comparison but the influence of 80s synthpop is very apparent here. The only real criticism I have is the 2nd half of the song is very repetitive. It’s the same thing over and over again. It fits, and in this type of song, it’s pretty appropriate, but it just gets old and formulaic after a bit.

Scorpion: Bent Knee - Battle Creek 9.5/10
Even though this was submitted during the championship round, this is a band that I’ve seen mentioned more than that… if I recall I wasn’t a huge fan of the other Bent Knee song, or at least it didn’t blow me away. This was good. I love the way the song built up and the edginess not just by the vocalist but the entire group. This is definitely a band I need to listen to more of, as I have a feeling I’ll really like them. Well done, and thank you.

Kingschmegland: Bent Knee - Leak Water 9.5/10 + 1 - 10.5/110 (bonus for strings)
Hard to believe this is a live track. I really enjoyed it. Again, the intro I wasn’t really sure what was going on, but then that quirky ostinato kept going and going and evolved into the main groove of the song… I REALLY enjoyed this. Another reason to really check out this band, and can’t wait to hear this on the new album (which if I understand correctly comes out soon if it’s not out already)

TAC: Joan Osborne - St. Teresa 10/10
I thought this was in a scene from Erin Brocovich, but I guess not. Anyways, this song is awesome. This type of music was so prevalent in the 90s when I was in middle school and the roots of my musical tastes were being planted, that this type of music really takes me back… I wish some of this were still prominent today, that edgy singer songwriter sound. I know artists are trying to find it but it almost seems too poppy and not folky enough. This blends it perfectly, and it really grew on me throughout the listening process. Well done.

Evermind: Phideaux - Gift of the Flame 10/10
When I first heard this, the introduction was like… where is this going? And then I heard the clavichord come in… and I’m like… whoa. And then the genre evolved from from a slow jazz/jam band sound to a prog sound, to an almost psychadelic folk sound (like they listened to a lot of the Hair soundtrack and the Mamas and the Papas)... all genres I enjoy. This song was awesome. The vocal harmonies, the back and forth with the various instruments… the use of instruments you don’t hear all too often in bands anymore (sax, clav)... This was great.

Big Hath - 57.5
King - 57.5
Bolsters - 57
Lonestar - 57
Evermind - 56
Sacul - 55.5
Tyrias - 55
TAC - 55
Parama - 54
Scorpion - 54
Jingle.boy - 54
Tomislav - 53.5

It’s still anyone’s game, and if you are in the bottom four, dont’ count yourselves out yet, but make sure you bring your A game. This may be your final round! This is open. I’m not doing anything with it until Monday, but you can submit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1383 on: June 11, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
Nice. I literally have no idea what to send. I may not send until Monday.

I have a song in mind, but I'm not sure. I'd like to make the Top 8, but it's going to take the right track.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1384 on: June 11, 2016, 07:51:35 PM »
that's not electronic drums, pretty sure she actually plays the drums on the song  :corn
anyways i'm just gonna send paramacore i dunno. i'm really bored sending songs just to fit your tastes

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1385 on: June 11, 2016, 07:52:52 PM »
that's not electronic drums, pretty sure she actually plays the drums on the song  :corn
anyways i'm just gonna send paramacore i dunno. i'm really bored sending songs just to fit your tastes

Do it... you never know. You may send something I like ;) :neverusethis:

About the drums... if she's playing drums, they are either electric drums or put through some sort of filter because they don't sound like real drums

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1386 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:51 PM »
welcome to "all pop gets pretty compressed"
it's a bit disheartening but yeah that's why
have you heard what guitars sound like in pop country these days, it's disgusting
maybe i'm wrong and they're electronic though I dunno  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1387 on: June 11, 2016, 08:09:14 PM »
Oh didn't know Big Boi was from OutKast, nice  :lol

Check that album by her, it's got lots of funk and pop but also soul, R&B and even hip-hop and psychedelia, it's a very retro-turned-modern record, I love it.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1388 on: June 11, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »
have you heard what guitars sound like in pop country these days, it's disgusting

No I haven't because I hate pop country (well pretty much all country... haven't you read my tastes post) :lol I'm sure it is though

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1389 on: June 11, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »
fair enough, i only hear it through music critic channels tbh

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1390 on: June 11, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »
Good deal man, Magali does kick some ass in the vocals dept.

Sending now...

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1391 on: June 12, 2016, 12:56:12 AM »
I expect half of you to fuck it up this round because that's only way for me to advance :lol I have one song I wanted to send since beginning of this roulette but I'll just check if there's actually something better (probably not). 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:35:52 AM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #1392 on: June 12, 2016, 01:18:39 AM »
I think this is the first roulette where I'm actually somewhat disappointed when I get a 9, just because your scoring is so nice :lol. Still, nice that you liked it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1393 on: June 12, 2016, 01:51:37 AM »
I was kinda worried about this one a bit, and then I get a 9/10. :lol

I have sent my next song.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1394 on: June 12, 2016, 02:33:34 AM »
Last breath of Tomislav95 in splent's roulette 2016: sent.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1395 on: June 12, 2016, 02:53:26 AM »
Last breath of Tomislav95 in splent's roulette 2016: sent.

Nice, I love that song, glad to see some rap love from Tomislav here :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: June 12, 2016, 02:59:27 AM »
Nice to see I finally won the round. Now to find something to send...
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: June 12, 2016, 08:18:19 AM »
WOOT!!  Alright.  Time to think about a new song to send.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1398 on: June 12, 2016, 02:56:20 PM »
Sent proggy jazz fusion.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.7 - Round 7: Open (submit now)
« Reply #1399 on: June 13, 2016, 08:31:58 AM »
Submit now for your r7 song if you haven't already