Author Topic: Your biggest complaint about the tour  (Read 55802 times)

Offline Shooters1221

Re: Your biggest complaint about the tour
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2016, 09:20:35 AM »
Well that sucks. I for one did not get one in Boston.

Maybe I missed it, but I dont recall seeing these in NJ last week, but I did get one from RCMH on the last leg.

Weird. My girlfriend and I each got one at the Port Chester show just a few days later.

WOW, if you're talking about those small thin playbill type pamphlets then yes I went to 2 shows and they handed them out going in, AND, there were extras laying out on the table on the way out at both shows. I grabbed like 5  or 10 of them that are actually still in my car. They are not really that big of a deal, pretty generic.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2016, 09:38:00 AM »
I had never even heard of JP's comment regarding that, but the official communications left no doubt that that was indeed what it was supposed to be like. To quote directly from dt.net:

" will see the pioneering group performing their widely acclaimed double concept album The Astonishing in immersive and interactive settings for a unique and unparalleled live experience"

I personally wouldn't critique DT too much for that, because I hear that kind of spiel for every act. Like last year when Haken first toured in the US, the description of VIP tickets said they included "unprecedented access," and it ended up just being 30 minute early entry and a really low quality/res upscaled poster. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »
Oh, trust me, usually I dismiss this stuff, since they say something of that kind for every album (and every band does that). "This is our best album yet!".

That said, TA I felt was different in that regard, and it made sense since TA was meant to be this Magnum Opus, their The Wall equivalent.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
Maybe his The Wall reference was because it's a double album concept, and Pink Floyd only played that album during its tour. Hence what they also did.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »
I had never even heard of JP's comment regarding that, but the official communications left no doubt that that was indeed what it was supposed to be like. To quote directly from dt.net:

" will see the pioneering group performing their widely acclaimed double concept album The Astonishing in immersive and interactive settings for a unique and unparalleled live experience"

I personally wouldn't critique DT too much for that, because I hear that kind of spiel for every act. Like last year when Haken first toured in the US, the description of VIP tickets said they included "unprecedented access," and it ended up just being 30 minute early entry and a really low quality/res upscaled poster. :lol

Yeah, I'm not too sure what people are bitching about. It's called advertising. What did they really expect from DT's budget? It's like when any band says, "this is going to be our best album yet", and you don't like it so you blame the band for hyping it, forgetting there are tens of thousands of other people who probably loved it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »

Yeah, I'm not too sure what people are bitching about. It's called advertising. What did they really expect from DT's budget? It's like when any band says, "this is going to be our best album yet", and you don't like it so you blame the band for hyping it, forgetting there are tens of thousands of other people who probably loved it.

My point exactly. Of course, it's not the band that puts out the ads for the show.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2016, 11:11:11 AM »
But they didn't say "best tour yet". They gave rather specific expectations.

If they said "our most complex, intricate album yet" and then every song was a 4 chord pop tune, that would be more of a similar comparison.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
I mean, can someone run by me what part of the concert was immersive, and particularly which one was interactive? (I sincerely hope that sad screenshot device in the lobby wasn't the interactive part)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2016, 01:13:01 PM »
I mean, can someone run by me what part of the concert was immersive, and particularly which one was interactive? (I sincerely hope that sad screenshot device in the lobby wasn't the interactive part)

I thought the screens were pretty immersive, TBH. The interaction element was obviously the band playing the next song only after the audience clapped for the previous one.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »
:lol

The screens, I guess every band's performance is immersive now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2016, 01:28:28 PM »
Yea while I enjoyed the screen show, I'm not sure what is "immersive" about it and this show was by far the least amount of "interaction" from anything with the band and crowd. 

I think the most immersive and interactive part was actually probably the NOMAC tracks.  With the huge bass, you could almost feel like they were there.  Maybe that counts?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
The impression I get is that there is a huge discrepancy between what JP had in mind for the album, and what actually ended up being implemented. I mean, there was supposed to be a smartphone game, a novelization, an interactive concert, but it looks that spread them and RR so thinly that it all kinda ended up being done to only varying degrees.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2016, 02:26:31 PM »
I agree with that impression.  Also makes me wonder if there will be any more legs of this tour and a DVD due to that (and lack of enthusiasm from the fans).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2016, 10:06:44 PM »
I don't think there will. The way it looks they're losing a lot of money with this second leg, and they're not gonna stick their neck out even more with anything related to TA. The smartphone game as an example is pretty dead I assume.
So, my guess is they will finish the second leg, suck up the loss and regroup. Maybe wait some time, then come back with a new album and a normal concert that mixes new material and old stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2016, 05:20:51 AM »
I agree with that impression.  Also makes me wonder if there will be any more legs of this tour and a DVD due to that (and lack of enthusiasm from the fans).

I think this will be the end of the tour. I'm sure they're already putting together some ideas of what to do for the next album. Unless they kept it a secret, I don't know when they would have recorded any of the shows for a possible Blu-ray release.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »

I think this will be the end of the tour. I'm sure they're already putting together some ideas of what to do for the next album. Unless they kept it a secret, I don't know when they would have recorded any of the shows for a possible Blu-ray release.

They need to plan one last show in London with the LSO and other guests for a BlueRay release. I would be there in a heartbeat.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2016, 07:27:05 AM »
I don't think there will. The way it looks they're losing a lot of money with this second leg, and they're not gonna stick their neck out even more with anything related to TA. The smartphone game as an example is pretty dead I assume.

Didn't one of the lead developers of that game die in a motorcycle wreck?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2016, 07:27:56 AM »
They need to plan one last show in London with the LSO and other guests for a BlueRay release. I would be there in a heartbeat.

Yeah, when the tour ends, there's no reason they can't pump up a final performance for a bluray release. If they announce an orchestra and maybe special guests, pretty much anywhere in the world will most likely sell out.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:26 AM »
Not that in and of itself, an orchestra being part of TA Live wouldn't be a bad thing, but that would make 3 official live releases with an orchestra. Enough already. And they really didn't use the live recording in Boston anyway.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »
Not that in and of itself, an orchestra being part of TA Live wouldn't be a bad thing, but that would make 3 official live releases with an orchestra. Enough already. And they really didn't use the live recording in Boston anyway.

I don't like this reason, because for me, there is never enough  :biggrin:

Also, if they did announce such a concert, I would do what I could to make it there.  I just hope for such a show they would let the crowd stand and get into it a bit more, I'd be fine with a no phone policy still for such a show though.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »

That was SUPER disappointing. They record a concert with an orchestra, and then overdub it.
Agree with the overall sentiment though. Orchestras, frankly, are a bit of a copout for bands that don't know what to do else.

Didn't one of the lead developers of that game die in a motorcycle wreck?

Their sound designer I think, and they said on their page that they were going to continue. I don't think that happened though.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »
With any other band, I'd probably agree that two albums with an orchestra are more than enough, but I can make an exception for DT because the orchestrations are often already part of the original recordings, rather than being quickly put together for a one off event. The Astonishing in particular has a lot of cool orchestral stuff going on and it would be a missed opportunity not to perform with an orchestra.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2016, 05:37:24 AM »

You're exactly right. If anything, I would love one show with guest vocalists and have that be the official release. You don't need an orchestra when you have Jordan. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2016, 07:08:31 AM »
Yeah, guest vocalists would be the way to go, not an orchestra. The Lzzy Hale version showed the potential of a female vocalist in parts.

Heck, maybe even a wardrobe change for James between songs. That's another one of those low-hanging fruits they missed. It's supposed to be immersive, but the singer wears a plain metal outfit the whole show. Any of the guys really.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2016, 07:58:09 AM »
So, my guess is they will finish the second leg, suck up the loss and regroup. Maybe wait some time, then come back with a new album and a normal concert that mixes new material and old stuff.

It will be interesting to see what their next touring plans is. I'm surprised there's no European 2nd leg. That's where they make most of their money and tour over there a lot. Maybe they are planning a "selections of TA" with some of the songs from their back catalog. Or as you said, regroup and either go into studio/recording mode and start the next touring cycle as soon as possible.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Yeah, guest vocalists would be the way to go, not an orchestra. The Lzzy Hale version showed the potential of a female vocalist in parts.

Heck, maybe even a wardrobe change for James between songs. That's another one of those low-hanging fruits they missed. It's supposed to be immersive, but the singer wears a plain metal outfit the whole show. Any of the guys really.

Here's the thing with guest vocals and the band dressing in character... that goes against the visuals which show all of the characters.  It would be weird seeing a Faythe on the screen dancing to her music player while also seeing a person playing Faythe on stage and singing it.  I'm not sure the band ever intended to have live singers due to the use of the visuals showing the story/characters.

Someone in the DVD thread mentioned it would be cooler if they did something like The Theater Equation.  I think that would require removing the screens and actually having a live set though to really work.  Or Change the visuals so it's only scenery not the characters themselves.

Having said all of that the album performed live with an orchestra, having been recorded with an orchestra, is really the best way to shoot it live without having to put more effort into the show since it doesn't require anything different from the current live show.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2016, 08:31:01 AM »
It will be interesting to see what their next touring plans is. I'm surprised there's no European 2nd leg. That's where they make most of their money and tour over there a lot. Maybe they are planning a "selections of TA" with some of the songs from their back catalog. Or as you said, regroup and either go into studio/recording mode and start the next touring cycle as soon as possible.

Europe isn't the sure-fire place for DT anymore either. My brother saw them for DT12 on the second leg in Germany, and he said the attendance was really, really sad.

Here's the thing with guest vocals and the band dressing in character... that goes against the visuals which show all of the characters.  It would be weird seeing a Faythe on the screen dancing to her music player while also seeing a person playing Faythe on stage and singing it.  I'm not sure the band ever intended to have live singers due to the use of the visuals showing the story/characters.

I can see that ... but at the very least it would have been good to dress "in style" of the album. Checkout out this picture, where it's just some band T-shirt. That kind of band appearance does not help with any immersiveness for sure.
I don't know. While I feel some factors were certainly outside of DT's control, their own commitment to the presentation of TA left much to be desired too. It felt like they treated it like any old concert.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:40:55 AM by rumborak »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2016, 09:15:26 AM »
I kind of hope that they do something similar to when Iron Maiden followed up the AMOLAD tour (where they played the whole new album front to back) with the Somewhere Back in Time tour. Maybe a set of material up through SFAM or Six Degrees. Don't see it happening though, both due to Mangini and because they gave Awake and SFAM some anniversary attention on the DT12 tour.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2016, 09:23:15 AM »
DT don't really need to go the Maiden route of alternating between classic focused and new album focused tours though. The evening with format is enough to represent all eras of the band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2016, 10:25:19 AM »
I don't think they need to do it from a creative standpoint, but I bet that if they announced such a tour they'd get a pretty good turnout and it might help rebuild some good will with promoters after the lackluster turnout for the second Astonishing leg. Also, as someone whose top five DT releases all fall in that period I think it's a good idea for purely selfish reasons :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »
I think that if DT took a little more time off, and then, before releasing another album, announce an "Evening With" tour for next summer, they would make a killing.

With no album to support, they could just do a regular concert, drawing material from any/all of their albums, with fans not knowing the setlist ahead of time.

THEN release their next album, then a supporting tour thereafter.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
Yeah, guest vocalists would be the way to go, not an orchestra. The Lzzy Hale Chego version showed the potential of a female vocalist in parts.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2016, 06:45:57 AM »
I think that if DT took a little more time off, and then, before releasing another album, announce an "Evening With" tour for next summer, they would make a killing.

With no album to support, they could just do a regular concert, drawing material from any/all of their albums, with fans not knowing the setlist ahead of time.

THEN release their next album, then a supporting tour thereafter.

Agreed.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
Yeah, guest vocalists would be the way to go, not an orchestra. The Lzzy Hale Chego version showed the potential of a female vocalist in parts.

True true. That version was far superior to the Lzzy Hale version.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »
On a side note, I wonder whether the "no phone" enforcement, and the resulting lack of YT videos from the show, actually hurt attendance. I could see people who would have been on the fence for the first leg, after watching some online videos, saying "I should watch that live".