Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 - October 6, 2017  (Read 8291 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Blade Runner 2049 - October 6, 2017
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 07:32:55 PM »
Ok, just got back, and I am in love with this film. A visual spectacle, brilliantly conceived world, and amazing soundtrack. Really paid homage to the original, and grew on it in a very respectable manner,as it seemed the obvious world of 30 years post Blade Runner. Might have to do a second round on it, such an intricate story.

And I completely agree with PixelDream's assessment, the movie does require a person to become intimately involved with it, it's definitely not a fly by night film.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 08:37:13 PM »
I think both are great movies. 2049 seems a bit more... fully realized, I guess I'll say. I think they did a tremendous job with it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »
Ok, just got back, and I am in love with this film. A visual spectacle, brilliantly conceived world, and amazing soundtrack. Really paid homage to the original, and grew on it in a very respectable manner,as it seemed the obvious world of 30 years post Blade Runner. Might have to do a second round on it, such an intricate story.

And I completely agree with PixelDream's assessment, the movie does require a person to become intimately involved with it, it's definitely not a fly by night film.

Agree with all that right there.  Slow, methodical, deliberate... the music added so much to the overall vibe.  My mind was fully engaged throughout the whole thing.  Couple of things I could nitpick, but I won't.  However ...

*Spoiler*   So, Wallace is still alive, and he's gonna what?  Just give up the whole search for baby Deckerd?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2017, 10:14:28 PM »
Chad, your small font question/point  coupled with the group that helped K/Joe talking about a revolution is why i mentioned earlier in the thread there could easily be a third movie. And one that is just as compelling
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
Visually I feel that the original has the edge, but 2049 was better in basically every other way. Only saw it this afternoon so I still need to digest it a bit but I thought it was great.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
Visually I feel that the original has the edge, but 2049 was better in basically every other way. Only saw it this afternoon so I still need to digest it a bit but I thought it was great.

Interesting opinion. I think 2049 was pretty visually stunning. Compared at face value it blows the original out of the water....but then again the technology wasn't there for the original to have the 'clean' look that 2049 has. Having just recently re-watched the original you can definitely tell it's an early 80's tech. movie.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2017, 01:50:56 PM »

Interesting opinion. I think 2049 was pretty visually stunning. Compared at face value it blows the original out of the water....but then again the technology wasn't there for the original to have the 'clean' look that 2049 has. Having just recently re-watched the original you can definitely tell it's an early 80's tech. movie.

Still, the original Blade Runner was a technological tour de force, considering the time it was made in.

I think Blade Runner 2049 has a shot for the best movie oscar next year! It's that good!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »

Still, the original Blade Runner was a technological tour de force, considering the time it was made in.

I think Blade Runner 2049 has a shot for the best movie oscar next year! It's that good!

very true. Imagine had Scott had todays tech. available to him? It's tough to compare apples to apples given the tech. discrepancy....I just personally prefer 2049 given that it looks more 'clean'.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
When I say the original has the edge, I really mean just barely. I was more a fan of the near constant rainy neon of the first film. The new one is still visually stunning, I just personally wasn't as much of a fan of the frequent brightness. Nothing wrong with it, and I applaud them for not just repeating what worked in the original.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2017, 02:18:05 PM »
When I say the original has the edge, I really mean just barely. I was more a fan of the near constant rainy neon of the first film. The new one is still visually stunning, I just personally wasn't as much of a fan of the frequent brightness. Nothing wrong with it, and I applaud them for not just repeating what worked in the original.

I thought that was a strong point for 2049. They captured 'just enough' of the visual and atmospheric 'feel' of the first film to completely convince the viewer it was the exact same world....just 30 years later. Less rainy due to extended droughts? etc etc. It was as if they really thought out 'how' would this world age in 30 years and they executed it perfectly.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
That's fair! Apart from the visuals I'm actually not a big fan of the original film. I just thought it was a wee bit nicer to look at than the new one. But like I said, 2049 surpassed the original in every other way, even the soundtrack, for me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:47 AM »
I still give the edge to the original Blade Runner when it comes to the landscape/city visuals. There seems to be a bit more detail in the 1982 movie. Somehow everything on screen feels a bit more real to me than 2049's city shots with CGI, although the CGI is in fact pretty good.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 11:00:44 PM »
I loved this movie. Maybe 10 minutes too long? But really, that's about it. Just a brilliant movie.

And I'm personally hoping there's no third movie about the Leto thing and the uprising. That wasn't the point of the movie, and I'd hate for this story to go big action sci-fi. It's perfect to end right here.

Lastly, I am so happy that films like this can still be made in the fidget spinner generation when people want constant action, lots of hypertension and everything to happen quickly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 11:14:37 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 12:03:43 AM »
Ok help me with this, guys. I think I might be missing on something here. I wanted to like this film since the original is a classic... I just got back from the cinema and while I thought this movie was good I didn't particularly think it was better than the first one in any way, save maybe for the particular Arch between Joi and K compared to that of Rachel and Deckard.

I do want to see it again, I think there was so much in this movie that I didn't catch. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a slow-paced movie.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 01:57:30 AM »
I loved it, possibly my movie of the year so far and I would even say it topped the original for me. Seen some people be negative and most of them haven't seen the original, so I just think a lot of people didn't quite know what type of movie it would be. People go into it expecting futuristic Drive and it turns out to be more of a drama film.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

Question with potential spoilers

Is there a reason why Deckard needed to be tortured for info in space rather than right then and there at Wallace's home base?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2017, 07:06:27 AM »
Also my favorite movie of the year. I think everything just hit the right cord. Visuals, music, art design, pacing...everything just felt like a natural extension of the world created in the first movie. I like how some of the technology is wondrous and still somehow mechanical (zooming in on images, coin operated hologram machine).

*Minor Spoilery*

But what has me the most blown away is the different layers of thought on intelligence and artificial intelligence. When the giant sex hologram called him Joe...man. Sympathy overload. I know they are just characters in a film, but man, my gut wrenched with empathy for his loneliness.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
But what has me the most blown away is the different layers of thought on intelligence and artificial intelligence. When the giant sex hologram called him Joe...man. Sympathy overload. I know they are just characters in a film, but man, my gut wrenched with empathy for his loneliness.

How about when she hurried to tell him that she loved him right before she was stomped to 'death'? That was just as brutal. I agree that the suggestion of emotion and feeling from the AI was very well done, wasn't in your face but it was there enough to really make you contemplate whether or not what they were feeling was real or not?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
Will probably see it this weekend but I was wondering, should I watch the first movie since I haven't seen it in ages or it dosen't matter?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
Will probably see it this weekend but I was wondering, should I watch the first movie since I haven't seen it in ages or it dosen't matter?

Not necessary at all, imo.  It's been at least 4-5 years since I saw the original, and I don't feel it was an issue.  Jingle.son watched the original the night before ... we both enjoyed it immensely.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »

Not necessary at all, imo.  It's been at least 4-5 years since I saw the original, and I don't feel it was an issue.  Jingle.son watched the original the night before ... we both enjoyed it immensely.
:tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »
I watched the first movie the night before as a refresh. If you had never seen it before, I would absolutely tell you to watch it first. But if you think you're familiar with it, I'd say you're fine.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:25 AM »
Beautiful movie, although I was initially frequently at a loss about who the 'good' and who the 'bad' guys were. Great acting on all fronts though.
And that one scene.... 'she had green eyes' whoo boy!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
Just watched this. Disclaimer, haven't seen the first movie in many, many years.

A little hard to stay focused while taking care of my 5 month old, but I was so caught up in the whole package (story, visuals, acting) unlike I have with a film in a long time. This is a brilliant film, a worthy successor to the 1982 film, and one that any fan of cinema should see.

Seeing the 1982 film again is on my short list now. Just have to figure out which version to see!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »
The Final Cut is the consensus as best version of the original.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »
The Final Cut is the consensus as best version of the original.

Agreed

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 11:16:28 AM »
I finally got around to seeing the movie last night. I can't put into words how impressed I was by this film.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »
I am not a fan of the original Blade Runner, but 2049 is one of my favorite movies ever. What an experience.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
Like I've said many times, Blade Runner 2049 was my favorite movie of last year. Could also be my favorite movie of recent years!