Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 - October 6, 2017  (Read 8289 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Polarbear

Re: Blade Runner 2049 - October 6, 2017
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »
Bump!

New trailer has been released for Blade Runner 2049! Looks fantastic! My second most anticipated movie of year, after The Last Jedi.

https://youtu.be/knptEc9_eQs

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
That's looks awesome. I am so excited.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »
Trailer has not dampened my excitement.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
This....is....the 21st Century.   I should NOT be having this problem.

When I worked at a video store from 1996-2000, I was *CONSTANTLY* having to tell the buyer, "hey, the sequel for Movie X comes out next week, so you should order a butt load of the first movie to stock on shelves."   I always heard, "nah, not that many people are going to want it."   And every single time, it was the same thing.   Dozens of people flock to my store wanting to buy the first movie before they go to see the sequel.....and we don't have any.

Now, everything is digital.   I should be able to do whatever....On Demand....Prime....Netflix....buy the blu-ray.....   But guess what?   I want to watch Blade Runner, and no streaming is available, and the Blu-Ray won't be available til next week.   No Amazon overnite shipping. 

Am I just being a spoiled brat?   I think that given the day and age we live in, this should be a NO BRAINER.   I should be able to watch Blade Runner TONIGHT if I feel like it.    BUUUUUUTTTTT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>:( :censored
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
This....is....the 21st Century.   I should NOT be having this problem.

When I worked at a video store from 1996-2000, I was *CONSTANTLY* having to tell the buyer, "hey, the sequel for Movie X comes out next week, so you should order a butt load of the first movie to stock on shelves."   I always heard, "nah, not that many people are going to want it."   And every single time, it was the same thing.   Dozens of people flock to my store wanting to buy the first movie before they go to see the sequel.....and we don't have any.

Now, everything is digital.   I should be able to do whatever....On Demand....Prime....Netflix....buy the blu-ray.....   But guess what?   I want to watch Blade Runner, and no streaming is available, and the Blu-Ray won't be available til next week.   No Amazon overnite shipping. 

Am I just being a spoiled brat?   I think that given the day and age we live in, this should be a NO BRAINER.   I should be able to watch Blade Runner TONIGHT if I feel like it.    BUUUUUUTTTTT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>:( :censored

Nah I think you're being reasonable. I feel like in 2017 with streaming (and all of the services) as well as buying movies digitally, if Piracy becomes the only option for seeing something the same night (even though you are willing to pay for it) then there's something wrong somewhere in the system.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 06:40:07 PM »
I have my ticket for opening night, and I've reserved the best seat in the theater, which is one of my favorite aspects of modern movie-going.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »
For the record....a FB friend pipped up and loaned me the BluRay of The Final Cut.   I hadn't seen it in over 20 years, so I thought it was a pleasant surprise.  (being as I didn't remember a single thing about it.)  Although I can see why people criticized it for the pacing, I have to say that was one thing that (in my old age) I found it refreshing.    I commonly criticize modern movies for "machine gunning" the story line, and being feeling like they were edited by Freddy Krueger.   Seeing a slower paced sci-fi story that felt more like "Casablanca in the 21st Century" was a nice nod to old school film making.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
Gosling seems very bland in the teaser. I won't watch the full trailer because they usually give away too much shit. I'm gonna call it and say Gosling's character is NOT a replicant. It would be too obvious. Or maybe that's what they want us to think? Anyway, I'll find out when the movie comes out on DVD next year.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 05:14:46 PM »
Ah yes, the age old question. Is Gosling a replicant?

I'm not sure, but I do know that Gaff is in the film once more and we'll have to see if he leaves a paper mache scorpion or something  :lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:14:18 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online faizoff

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2017, 11:05:37 AM »
The early reviews seem like this is going to be a winner. Can't wait to check it out next week.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
The are 3 shorts that have been created as prequel stories to the new film. 2 are live action with actual actors from the film and one is anime, done by the guy that did cowboy bebop. The two live action ones were directed by ridley scotts son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ

Online faizoff

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
I'm debating on watching them before I see the movie. The ones they did for Alien Covenant sorta gave context to some scenes though didn't really add to the story. I think I'll watch them after I see the movie.

Speaking of the movie, I asked MP on twitter and he's pumped as well!

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/914239675287687170
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
Blade Runner is my favorite movie of all time and I just came home from watching 2049. I loved it. Gonna see it again tomorrow and on sunday. Don't read anything about it I'd say, you'll enjoy it more the less you know about the story. Hats off to Denis Villeneuve and the entire crew, this is a special movie that pays homage to the original, connects with it in a really cool way and expands on it as well. Still digesting everything I just witnessed, questions are being raised again which is what makes the original so magical. Beautiful cinematography and with an identity all of its own. Only Villeneuve could've pulled this one off. What a time to be alive.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2017, 06:20:07 PM »
Seeing it tomorrow and I can't wait

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
Seeing it tomorrow and I can't wait

Yep. It'll either be tomorrow or Sat. Night for me as well. Looking forward to it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2017, 01:24:57 AM »
Going to see it on Saturday evening with a buddy of mine! :metal

Luckily i haven't run into any spoilers.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2017, 06:22:07 AM »
I've heard a lot of good things about this. I've only seen the original once and I thought it was really boring honestly. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »
I hate this movie.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:46:49 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2017, 06:49:02 PM »
This film was an utter masterpiece. I adored it. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »
This film was an utter masterpiece. I adored it. :metal

Yeah. Just got back, I liked it a lot as well. It definitely warrants another viewing in the theater for me.

Not to get to spoilery but I think....if done correctly.....they could pull off a trilogy. The story is there I believe.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2017, 12:18:16 AM »
Same here.  Just jaw-droppingly brilliant.   The best sci-fi movie I have seen in a VERY long time. 

I was really afraid they were going to update it into a modern action flick, and they totally didn't.  They nailed the mood and pacing of the original, but somehow made the storyline even more gripping.   The "film noir" visuals of the first movie aren't there, but that just made this one feel more like its own thing. 

Can't say enough how much I adored it.   If it hadn't been so late, I would have turned around and saw it again.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2017, 01:57:04 AM »
Was Ana de Armas (Joi) any good? How big is her part? No spoilers please.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
Was Ana de Armas (Joi) any good? How big is her part? No spoilers please.

She has a substantial supporting role and did a very good job. But I'd say Sylvia Hoeks outshines everyone in this movie.

Last night I saw it again, this time there was no break. I fell asleep during the last half hour and woke up to the end credits.  :rollin Well, it IS a very long movie.

Tomorrow another viewing, this time finally with amazing Dolby Atmos sound and a huge 2D screen. And then possibly later on in IMAX 3D just to see if the 3D adds something to the movie.

I know, I'm insane. But I've been waiting for this a very long time and want to indulge in this new Blade Runner universe. 

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
LOVED IT!

Can't say if it's better than the original, since i haven't seen the original in a while.

And considering how many soundtracks Hans Zimmer does in a year, he really outdid himself this time!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
Does anybody know why

*Spoiler small text below*

Wallace killed that female replicant a few mins after its birth? I didn't quite understand that. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »
Does anybody know why

*Spoiler small text below*

Wallace killed that female replicant a few mins after its birth? I didn't quite understand that. 

I got the impression he used her to make a point. That he was frustrated that he hadn't figured out how Tyrell discovered/created live child birth through replicants and he hadn't yet. I mean, Wallace sliced her through the uterus....so, that's where I saw it as frustration that he couldn't create child bearing replicants

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »
^^^   That makes sense, and was kind of the impression I got as well.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
Just got back from a viewing on a BIG screen with Atmos sound. Definitely the way to go, see it on the biggest and best installation possible!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2017, 02:21:16 PM »
Best. Movie. Of. The. Year.

Oh and Ana de Armas (Joi) is officially the most beautiful woman ever.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2017, 07:07:06 PM »
Well it seems the movie made 5/6 DTFers moist.

I'll be getting my drawers wet tomorrow...

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »

I'll be getting my drawers wet tomorrow...

Same.  Jingle.son and I are gonna grab a burger, and see it at 5:30 tonight.  Happy Thanksgiving to us!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 09:02:28 AM »

I think in simple terms this is just a really good movie. Forget about it being a sequel...they do such a good job telling the story that you could easily watch this movie without having seen the original and not miss it one bit. Seeing the original is a bonus for sure but not a necessity, which is one of the impressive things about this movie.

The underlying themes of humanity and the search for meaning and purpose are masterfully done as well IMO. I'm curious to see yours and Chad's opinions afterwards.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 04:09:54 PM »
From what I'm hearing around me and on Facebook, people are either completely blown away, or simply think it's a boring movie.

The 'boring' comments seem to come mostly from the 18-25 demographic. These people saw the trailer (which makes it seem like an action sci-fi), fail to get into the atmosphere and the philosophical questions at hand (or simply don't care) and therefore have a hard time sitting through the massive 2 hours and 43 minutes of this film. It makes total sense and I couldn't blame them. This movie is not for everyone. I still find it unreal that this sequel to a cultmovie stays so true to the pacing of the original, while having such a big Hollywood budget.

Whereas for me, the slow pacing, long running time and sparse action (but intense when it does occur!) are exactly reasons why I adore this movie. In line with the original, the world-building cinematography and atmospheric score draw me in like few other films do. It's exactly why I love movies like Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey or even Interstellar. Stuff that's atmospheric, marvellous to look at and has the power to really make you think. Hell, I'd be fine if it went on for 3+ hours.

I was asking myself: Do I think Blade Runner 2049 is as good as the original? I cannot give a definitive answer, which for me is a testament to how good this film really is. Blade Runner is my personal favorite movie of all time. By all odds, this sequel should've been a let down for me, but it isn't. It's exactly the dreamed-of sequel Blade Runner fans wanted. And maybe that's exactly the reason why critics - which critic doesn't at least like or respect Blade Runner - love it, and the general public seems to be indifferent to it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:17:37 PM by PixelDream »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »
^^^^Gooe post. I think you could be spot on with the 'age' aspect. I'll admit I've only seen the original three times....one of which was last week to refresh. I personally think the sequel is 'better' in the sense of an all around film...but I think I'm holding the (now inferior) special effects against the first film.

Both films address some serious moral and ethical questions and implications  Writing and dialogue was about equal between them but I think the sequel edges out in the acting/actors.