Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 62943 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #455 on: May 12, 2016, 03:10:24 AM »
Creatures is so overrated.  The title track is great but for the most part, the rest is filler.  I Still Love You drags unmercifully as does I Love It Loud (once the initial shine wears off).  Killer and War Machine are standouts but the rest is forgotten at best.  By this time, Ace was so far gone in a drunk/drug haze...even Paul tried to convince him to stay but he has no recollection of it.  Bill Aucoin had been fired and KISS was a ship without a captain.  Enter Vinnie Vincent.

Can't agree with all this (though I do about ILIL and ISLY). Keep Me Comin' and Danger are great (lyrics on the former aside  :biggrin:). The two Gene songs on side 1 are standouts too.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #456 on: May 12, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »
So here's a good question.  A buddy posted to FB for people to post music to broaden his horizons.  My niece, good kid that she is, suggested Kiss, but gave no specific suggestuons.  What would you suggest to a new listener from the Kiss catalog?  My immediate thought is Alive 1.  Any arguments?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #457 on: May 12, 2016, 03:26:33 PM »
None here.  Alive! is always the best intro to what early KISS was all about, and thus the best introduction overall.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #458 on: May 12, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »
Yup, no question.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #459 on: May 12, 2016, 03:40:09 PM »
True story:  When my son was three years old, his favorite bands were KISS and The Beatles.  When our friends asked us if listening to kiddie music was driving us crazy yet (Radio Disney was a thing, and apparently so was listening to what your kids want instead of anything intelligent) we told them No way, because our kids listen to what we play, in the car, at home, whatever.

Everyone likes The Beatles, but KISS?  Isn't that kind of... extreme?  No.  His favorite song was "Rock and Roll All Nite".  He used to run around the house singing it.  To a little kid, "Rock and roll all nite" means staying up late listening to music, and partying every day means going to a birthday party or something, every day.  That's awesome.  What a great, feel-good song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #460 on: May 12, 2016, 03:44:31 PM »
I like that pick. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: May 12, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
I like that pick.

Phew, that was a close one. I'm glad that sentence is spelled correctly!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #462 on: May 12, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
It has to be Alive I, but if that doesn't count I vote for my first Kiss album: Double Platinum. Great set of songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: May 12, 2016, 05:36:03 PM »
I like that pick.

Phew, that was a close one. I'm glad that sentence is spelled correctly!  :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #464 on: May 12, 2016, 05:38:52 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: May 12, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »
 :lol

And what goes with ketchup?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: May 12, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #467 on: May 12, 2016, 06:05:27 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: May 12, 2016, 06:05:35 PM »
Absolutely with a baked potato . Ketchup with hash browns.  Ace agrees. 

Had to tie in KISS with this. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #469 on: May 12, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #470 on: May 12, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
^^^ I know I'm repeating myself, but if you're talking live Kiss, PLEASE find a copy of the first (and I would say, second, but start with the first) Kissology.  There are a couple of shows in the '75, '76 timeframe that are LEGEND.  Especially that '75 Winterland show.  Firehouse is just unbelievable.

As for Ace and Creatures, he's gone on record as saying he left for his health.  It was too little too late for him.  There's a little blurb to this effect in the Kissology II booklet, as well as, I think, Paul's autobiography.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #471 on: May 12, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »
If you put ketchup on a baked potato, don't talk to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: May 12, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
It has to be Alive I, but if that doesn't count I vote for my first Kiss album: Double Platinum. Great set of songs.

Problem with that is all the remixes.   The remixes on Smashes are okay, because of the time period, but the '78 remixes (by Sean Delaney) are sort of lame-o.

I think Coz nailed it; Alive!.  If you must go with a studio record, Destroyer.   HTH is the best, but it's like learning to drive on a Porsche 944.  You need to start out with the Pontiac Sunbird. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #473 on: May 12, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
Didn't realize anything besides Strutter had a remix (aside from Black Diamond's alternate ending). Maybe it's because I grew up with those versions, but I don't mind.

BTW I 100% second your recommendation of the Kissology boxes. I'm gonna go ahead and call it the best video collection of any band. The second one is my favorite, because it covers a wider range of the band's history, but the first one is the holy grail of early Kiss footage. The commentaries are also really interesting, although DT spoiled me with the commentaries for the whole concerts, rather than just the first few songs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: May 12, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
As to 'remixes'......any thoughts regarding 'Destroyer: Resurrected'.  I was going to buy it for a friend, but heard DRC, God of Thunder, and Shout It Out Loud on ytube, and just gasped at how those tracks were ruined.  Enhancing is one thing......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
As to 'remixes'......any thoughts regarding 'Destroyer: Resurrected'.  I was going to buy it for a friend, but heard DRC, God of Thunder, and Shout It Out Loud on ytube, and just gasped at how those tracks were ruined.  Enhancing is one thing......

I hated it. Everything sounds so boomy and cranked and trying to modernize it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #476 on: May 13, 2016, 02:40:59 AM »
Great list!

I agree about the remixes on Sonic Boom - I was shocked at how much I enjoyed them! Though they do make it really obvious how much damage Paul's voice has taken over the years, he was still in relatively good shape so it's not like he messed them up or anything.

Not like when I saw them live and he tried to sing Crazy Nights. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #477 on: May 13, 2016, 05:35:58 AM »
Great list, Stad! I was pleasantly surprised to see Creatures at number 2. It's such an underrated album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #478 on: May 13, 2016, 07:56:05 AM »
Fun story: My brother is the biggest KISS fan I personally know (well, he's 6'9" and 320 lbs, so he's the biggest ANYTHING I know, lol), and has been for years and years and years.

When they had their first Farewell (Reunion?) tour in the 90s, when they were wearing their paint and costumes again for the first time in forever, with the original band, he was ecstatic.  He decided to go see them live.

He took our parents with him.  My 50-something parents who listened to country music and the Beach Boys.  When he told me his plan, I lol'd hard.

They had the time of their fucking lives. 

Ted Nugent opened up, complete with loincloth and a flaming arrow shot into an exploding guitar.  And then of course, KISS put on a great show, with loud music, fire, blood, the whole nine yards.

I wish I had gotten to go to that with them.  But I'm glad that they were able to experience that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #479 on: May 13, 2016, 08:13:09 AM »
That's fantastic!  I remember my very first show with Cold Gin, in my hometown, my parents and siblings were there.  My *grandmother* was there.  :lol

I'm listening to Paul's solo album today.  I'll skip Hold Me Touch Me, but I'm pretty sure that from now on, I'll be skipping Ain't Quite Right also.  Snoozer.  Take Me Away (Together as One) is interesting, as it's a plodder in the beginning and the verses then has great choruses and a good solo.  Then the outro?  DAMN.  Great shit.

All that said, It's Alright has always been my favorite from this album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 13, 2016, 08:27:45 AM »
Even with Paul's voice, I would always recommend someone seeing them at least once.  I've seen over 400 shows in my life, and good one's too (Maiden, with the big production, Rush, Crue...) and Kiss blows them all away.  You haven't really lived musically until your standing there, covered in sweat, spitting confetti out of your mouth and pulling it out of your hair and beer, screaming "I wanna rawk and roll all ni-i-ite... and pahty ev-a-ree day!" at the top of your lungs while the stage just EXPLODES. 

I'll try to post a picture of the 2014 tour if I can figure out how.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: May 13, 2016, 08:35:20 AM »
I was there in Oct 2015 in Melbourne  (same venue as the Aus Open tennis)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #482 on: May 13, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
That's a goddam rock show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »
If a giant metallic spider shooting flames isn't one hell of a rock show, it would make a hell of a Godzilla movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #484 on: May 13, 2016, 09:33:46 AM »
I've seen them on every UK tour since I've been old enough to go, and they've never disappointed, even with Paul's vocal issues last time around.
Got to take my kids if they come around again.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »
That's a goddam rock show.

Fuck yeah.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2016, 10:53:16 AM »
We've come so far.

I still remember the first time I saw this cover:

I thought it was fucking unreal.  Smoke, lights, makeup and costumes... incredible!  How you could you ever top that?

Of course, in 1975, this was about as far as you could take it, except maybe an Alice Cooper show.  But that's full-on theatrical.  For straight-up rock and roll, this was it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2016, 12:24:34 PM »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »
That last photo is unreal. Dear Lord...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: May 13, 2016, 03:49:22 PM »
See it live. You can literally feel the heat from the stage.   

My kid posted a picture of the finale during RnRAN on Instagram and the caption was "Greatest night of my life!"

I thought, "my work is done here".