Author Topic: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan  (Read 61925 times)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KISS Discography - My Life As a Kiss Fan
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2016, 04:48:58 AM »
Psycho Circus:  their first LP I purchased since 'Destroyer'.  Loved the lenticular cover.  Superb title track, really liked 'Within', and then it just kinda fizzled.  It wasn't bad, just meh.  Caught them in Grand Rapids on that tour, and had an absolute ball.  I see where they were sued (and settled out of court) with Alice Cooper's publisher regarding 'Dreamin' plagiarizing 'I'm Eighteen'.

It wasn't until eons later that I read about all of the turbulence inside the band at that time.

'Revenge':  'I Just Wanna' and 'God Gave RnR To You' is on my Hits II.  A fairly good 'return', though paint by numbers, and by that time my interest in that style of music had mostly passed. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:19:52 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2016, 08:01:39 AM »
What seems odd to me is that we have gotten this far, going from the bottom up, and we have already seen Revenge while somehow avoiding Music From the Elder.

I know right? :lol And what about Unmasked?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »
Unmasked is terrible....but The Elder is an absolutely AWESOME album.  Completely underrated.  Probably my all time favorite Kiss album.

But I'm sure we'll get to them.

I haven't joined the conversation so far, because I'm not so big a Kiss fan that I'm a total completist, and we've been talking about albums I'm mostly unfamiliar with.  But I know everything from the debut up thru Animalize extremely well.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
The Elder would be a lot more awesome without Mr. Blackwell.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »
And what about Unmasked?

What? The classic album with great, powerful rock songs like Sandy and She´s So European?  :metal

"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline jammindude

« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
The Elder would be a lot more awesome without Mr. Blackwell.

Dude!!! That's one of my favs!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2016, 10:47:18 AM »
And what about Unmasked?

What? The classic album with great, powerful rock songs like Sandy and She´s So European?  :metal

Hey its "One of a kind". ;)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »
Unmasked is terrible....but The Elder is an absolutely AWESOME album.  Completely underrated.  Probably my all time favorite Kiss album.

But I'm sure we'll get to them.

I haven't joined the conversation so far, because I'm not so big a Kiss fan that I'm a total completist, and we've been talking about albums I'm mostly unfamiliar with.  But I know everything from the debut up thru Animalize extremely well.

Both the Elder and Unmasked are top tier for me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »
And what about Unmasked?

Hey its "One of a kind". ;)

All in her mind!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2016, 02:23:37 PM »
Honestly I can't see how Psycho Circus can be called contrived while the last two albums can't.

Because Psycho Circus is billed as the "original four" back together, and two of them can't even be said to be phoning it in.   At least the last two are four excellent musicians (well, at least three) and they are all playing their instruments and writing the songs.   No Desmond Child, no Holly Knight, no "ghost" drummers, no "Bruce Kulick even though it says Ace".   Maybe it's me, but PC is one of the few Kiss albums I just flat out feel ripped off about.   I feel like Peter and Ace gave me the middle finger.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »
20.   Animalize (1984):  Revenge was the album I should like and don’t, and this is the album I should hate and don’t.  I was really digging back into Kiss at this point, being a high school senior when this was released, and having met the band on the Lick It Up tour, and having a couple really cool, and dare I say hip records to build on, so I was ready for this, and while I was as confused as the next guy regarding lead guitars (no Vinnie, but it later turned out that future guitarist Bruce Kulick played on two tracks) I thought the songs were strong.  I didn’t care for Mark St. John’s flash style, and this was the first of the Simmons “Hollywood” albums, but those weren’t really trends yet.  I have a soft spot for Gene’s throwaway songs and the album finishes strong with two songs co-written with “Paul McCartney” from Beatlemania (Mitch Weissman), “While The City Sleeps” and “Murder In High Heels”.  Paul is in aggressive form, kicking as (and dropping a hidden F-bomb) in “Get All You Can Take”.  It’s basically all the non-makeup Kiss clichés before they became clichés.  The one downside is that the tours became a little rote; shorter sets, more rapping from Paul.  This is, though, the best selling of the non-makeup albums.

19.   Killers (1982):  The four songs from this set – released initially in Europe in 1981, following “The Elder” – presage the band’s first come back record “Creatures of the Night”  They are not as strong as the songs that would come later, but after the relative misdirection of The Elder, they were more concise and direct and better reflected the Kiss ethos.  In fact, “Nowhere to Run” (my favorite of the four) sounds straight off Paul’s solo album, and was mooted for inclusion on Creatures.  Bob Kulick – Bruce’s brother – returns again (he played on the Alive II studio tracks) to play lead on these songs.  Paul played bass on at least three of the four.

18.   Hot In The Shade (1989):  I will probably take a lot of heat for this placement - especially compared to Revenge - but I really like this album, I just do.  It’s got flaws: it’s too long, it’s not very diverse, and I could give a shit about “Tito”.  But I think the songwriting on this is stellar and the performances are good.  I generally prefer Kiss when it’s more insular; yes there are co-writers on this, yes, Desmond Child makes his obligatory appearance, but the album is largely written by the band and long-time “inside” collaborators (Vini Poncia, who produced Dynasty and Unmasked, and Tommy Thayer).  The album is rumored to be a collection of demos polished up for release, which explains why so many guests appear on the record: Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer (who would both join Kiss later), Kevin Valentine (frequent “ghost” drummer for the band), but even with that, it sounds more “Kiss” than the glitzy “Crazy Nights”.  Even the choir in “Silver Spoon” just sounds right.  I am very much a “melody” guy, and the melodies on this album are heavy but stick with you for days.  (I’m still singing the chorus from the aforementioned “Silver Spoon”, and Paul gives it 100% on the “whoa-oa-oa-OA-oa” part).  This was the tour where they went back to basics, playing smaller venues and playing more of the classic Kiss songs, so it’s as important for what it led to - Revenge - as what it was, but I do come back to this frequently, and I seem to find something new each time I do. 

Trivia:  “Hide Your Heart” was rejected by the band for “Crazy Nights” in '87, and was later given to Bonnie “Total Eclipse of the Heart” Tyler in '88.  Then in ’89, it appeared on FOUR albums, including Hot in The Shade by Kiss and an album by a singer named Robin Beck; can you name the other two artists (bonus for the albums)?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2016, 02:44:10 PM »
One was Ace Frehley. The other Molly Hatchet. The Robin Beck album is a cracker.

HitS is Rubbish, although there are 3-4 good songs, HYH being one of them.

Killers - poor Greatest Hits album, the new songs just about save it.

Animalise is just behind Creatures and Lick it Up as best of the 80s albums.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »
Honestly I can't see how Psycho Circus can be called contrived while the last two albums can't.

Because Psycho Circus is billed as the "original four" back together, and two of them can't even be said to be phoning it in.   At least the last two are four excellent musicians (well, at least three) and they are all playing their instruments and writing the songs.   No Desmond Child, no Holly Knight, no "ghost" drummers, no "Bruce Kulick even though it says Ace".   Maybe it's me, but PC is one of the few Kiss albums I just flat out feel ripped off about.   I feel like Peter and Ace gave me the middle finger.
That's fair. I guess it doesn't bother me much because a lot of those things are present on a bunch of Kiss albums. They had used outside singers before and who knows who plays what on the later albums from the original lineup. I'm younger, so I listened to PC after the reunion lineup was already a thing of the past and they were dressing Eric Singer as the Catman (I think Ace Frehley was still in the band, I can't remember so it didn't really matter to me who was on the album.

As for the next three albums, I don't really like any of them. HitS had a great tour video on Kissology 2 and the songs they play from that album on there are great, everything else I could do without. Not a short album either. Animalize has one or two songs I like.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2016, 11:08:12 PM »
Animalize is pretty great. Unashamedly '80s for better or worse, with lots of great heavier rock songs. Mark St John was awful, and I can only laugh at his widdley leads, but it's also part of the charm of it for me.

I like Hot in the Shade a lot too, but I agree it's too long. Rock albums shouldn't have that many songs, especially KISS! Cut it down to 10 or 11 tracks, and you've got yourself a much better album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2016, 01:04:00 AM »
Yeah way too much filler on shade; a few very good tracks though!

I really like Animalize. The triple threat of Creatures, Lick it Up and Animalize are my favorite three album run from Kiss

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: April 24, 2016, 04:54:09 AM »
HITS could be the worst album for me. Read My Body is "the worst KISS song" ever!

Animalize is the best 80's album. Full of piss and vinegar.   I love that album. 

It's fun to hear the Queen sing "Burn Bitch, Burn".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: April 24, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
Read My Body is by far their worst song. And they have some bad ones.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
Read My Body ain't great, but it ain't that bad. It's KISS. They've done far worse.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »
Read My Body ain't great, but it ain't that bad. It's KISS. They've done far worse.

Pretty much the worst. Peter's solo album and CoS aside.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »

Pretty much the worst. Peter's solo album and CoS aside.

And Unmasked, plus a lot of the filler '80s tracks. It's average, but it's not that bad.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2016, 02:37:51 PM »
Animalize has always been one of my favorites. HITS had always been one of my least favorites.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2016, 06:29:33 PM »
Killers is the most influential "album" for me as it introduced me to the band , was my first ever album and I loved 3 of the 4 extra tracks which remain favorites to this day.

Animalize was an album I never bothered with much for some reason - enjoyable but didn't find myself coming back to it.

HITS was a skipathon for me - 3 or 4 tracks I listened to regularly. I would definitely rate it below Crazy Nights.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »

But this should explain things:  it's not a great song by any stretch, but I can name ten off the top of my head that are worse:

- Hooligan
- Dirty Livin'
- Shandi
- Spit
- Every Time I Look At You
- I Finally Found My Way
- My Way
- Rain
- All of "Peter Criss"
- Hold Me, Touch Me

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »
Spit and Every Time I Look at You are great songs, you peasant! :getoffmylawn:

I have no issue with the rest of your list.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »
Peter Criss, Crazy Nights, HITS, Carnival of Souls and Monster are the worst KISS albums but as bad as they are, I can still find 2 or three tracks on each one (maybe not Peter's solo album) that I like.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
Listened to HITS again yesterday and its indeed very patchy.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #131 on: April 25, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »
Christ, you really took one for the team there.  My condolences.  ;)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »

But this should explain things:  it's not a great song by any stretch, but I can name ten off the top of my head that are worse:

- Hooligan
- Dirty Livin'
- Shandi
- Spit
- I Finally Found My Way
- My Way
- Rain
- All of "Peter Criss"
- Hold Me, Touch Me

I would take all of those songs over Read My Body, PC's solo album included I think. It would be close on Rain and I've Finally Found...

Hold me touch me is an awesome ballad.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
I agree with Blob's take on Hot In The Shade.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
- Shandi
I love this one, it's very cute.  :azn:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »

- Hooligan
- Dirty Livin'
- Shandi
- Spit
- I Finally Found My Way
- My Way
- Rain
- All of "Peter Criss"
- Hold Me, Touch Me

I like all of the bolded tracks, especially My Way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #136 on: April 25, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »

- Hooligan
- Dirty Livin'
- Shandi
- Spit
- I Finally Found My Way
- My Way
- Rain
- All of "Peter Criss"
- Hold Me, Touch Me

I like all of the bolded tracks, especially My Way.

I like Hooligan too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: April 25, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »
Yeah, that's cool. I don't think it's great, but it sure as hell ain't the suckage that Read My Body is.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »
You mean the Def Leppard rip off.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: April 26, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »

I like Hooligan too.

Hooligan.  Won't go to school again.   

Mofo, please.