Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.5  (Read 454149 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: What album are you listening to? v.5
« Reply #6930 on: November 03, 2017, 04:28:09 PM »
Wow, sorry everyone. I've never had that problem happen with postimage before. Anyway, yeah, they're a Brazilian power metal band called Aquaria, if you're even slightly interested in symphonic metal I'd highly recommend listening to that album (Luxaeterna)

Just dropped the needle on a couple of songs on Spotify. Sounds cool. I will definitely check it out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #6931 on: November 03, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6932 on: November 03, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »

Some Good Hip-Hop right here.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6933 on: November 03, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6934 on: November 04, 2017, 02:26:01 AM »
a looot of stuff today let's go

i like this for what it is and feel like it gets a relisten by default because i didn't really like the song i got in my roulette until after a few listens. but yeah it's enjoyable enough

eehhh, this is nice but got a bit dull for me, even as short as it is. i guess. i'm looking for something at least a bit more complex or challenging

i kind of got the impression from the song i sent that this would be pretty bog-standard fare and that's exactly what i got. solid but not really standing out in any way and tbh i forgot most of what it sounds like already. very similar to that dir en grey album from my last roulette in that it's very solid but never reaches much above a baseline and doesn't do anything special

not really bad by any means but it's a bit too pensive and patient compared to a lot of the prog rock i prefer. also the marbles interludes all over the place mostly just break up the flow of the album imo, i dunno. it's pleasant enough

i feel like i may have underrated the title track slightly in my roulette, especially with how damn good those last few minutes are and the rest being fairly solid. and as a whole i thought this was pretty solid, yeah, not a huge standout but i do want to revisit it

genuinely have absolutely no clue what this album is trying to be. it lacks any sense of vision at all. sounds nice enough sure but the songs run into each other and lose any individual identity and it's hard to tell if they want to be a metal band or an atmospheric electronic band. i don't know. i feel very similar about this as i do the new contortionist record, but i don't really have the time or patience to try and figure this one out. it might be good but i have no clue

i can't really pin down the style of these guys but the music on display here is pretty solid. maybe feels a bit one note over the course of an entire album but it's a note i don't really hear other bands hitting and i enjoyed it well enough so whatever

kinda regret not checking these guys out sooner because man this album is all over the place on the emotional spectrum, though most especially there's a lot of bite to it,  way more than other emo-leaning records i've heard. singer still needs lessons but honestlly i prefer this to the super polished, syrupy high-pitched vocals on stuff like arcane matter and whatnot

midnight city is all over the place so obv i've heard it before, and it's, fine. this album has a ton of the interlude tracks like the one i was sent and that's, pretty cool actually? i went into this not expecting to like it and found it actually decently enjoyable. a lot of atmosphere, the occasional rock edge, honestly if it weren't so bloated and if the more straightforward poppy stuff was cut back i'd probably like it even more

also did not expect to be super crazy about this one but i enjoyed it more than i was expecting to. faint of heart is fine enough, really maybe scored it just a touch low in my roulette but it felt to me like there were a lot of better songs here anyways. it's a bit short though, for sure

well i finally relistened to mjod too. i dunno. something about this style, it's fine in single song segments but over the course of an album does not really do much for me. oh well

whew, finishing off tomorrow for sure, only a few left; moon safari, killer be killed, kauan, and fishmans are the only ones i have albums on my bookmarks or watch later list, so that should be all of that for good. geez. i should've done roulette stuff in a separate order i think but what the hell ever shipping is cheaper if i pay it all at once

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6935 on: November 04, 2017, 04:28:31 AM »
@Parama, I know I sent you Glassjaw but I think you actually already enjoy them more than me. I only downloaded some if their albums because they supported Coheed and Cambria last year. They are kinda cool and I thought you might like them.

Couldn't disagree more in regards to Chthonic though! These guys add in traditional Taiwanese instruments into their music and sets them apart from other symphonic black metal, as far as I'm concerned. Also, Taiwanese harsh vocals just sound  :metal to me. Love this band, Bu-Tik is easily my favourite album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #6936 on: November 04, 2017, 06:17:29 AM »

AOTY

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6937 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
Coney Hatch- s/t, Outta Hand, Friction, Best of Three, Four

Dio- Sacred Heart, Dream Evil, Magica, Killing the Dragon

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #6938 on: November 04, 2017, 07:23:04 AM »
Unisonic - Light of Dawn
Death Hawks - Sun Future Moon
The Night Flight Orchestra - Amber Galactic
Cyhra - Letters to Myself
Silversun Pickups - Better Nature
Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6939 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:28 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6940 on: November 04, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
Did you end up listening to Planetarium, @Parama? :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6941 on: November 04, 2017, 10:57:19 AM »
yeah i did like months ago

too long, mostly not that interesting

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6942 on: November 04, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
Couldn't disagree more in regards to Chthonic though! These guys add in traditional Taiwanese instruments into their music and sets them apart from other symphonic black metal, as far as I'm concerned. Also, Taiwanese harsh vocals just sound  :metal to me. Love this band, Bu-Tik is easily my favourite album.

odds are some of the more meh stuff will get a revisit at some point just to be sure, i didn't really dislike it, just never grabbed my interest

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6943 on: November 04, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
Rush - Signals

"You move me, you move me..."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6944 on: November 04, 2017, 03:45:15 PM »

Magica and KtD let that bunch down.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6945 on: November 04, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »

some of this is pretty solid enjoyable stuff but a lot more of it is overly cheesy and just not up my alley, oh well.
i may check out some of their really long album because i've actually seen/heard about it before and am curious but prob won't listen to the whole thing unless it's really good

so i only just realized the lead singer is the singer from TDEP, lol. uhh anyways. this was okay but maybe a bit lacking in color? i'm interested in relistening at least once but i can't say i see myself purchasing it after that

i feel this fares better as one piece than the individual parts do separately, though it still felt like it kind of anticlimaxes or never quite hits a peak. but yeah it's solid, decently gorgeous stuff and i wanna relisten at least

there are parts of this i do like but it's either monotonous (the stuff i do like) or boring (parts 3 and 4, which i did not like). actually part 4 would be cool without the vocal thing like i said in my writeup. but yeah. i could see myself getting into something -like- this but not exactly this album itself

i also figured out what the weird wrong song nekov sent me was so i'm gonna check out that album maybe, but it's also really long lol
and there are a small few albums i wanna check out as well, the other turbid north album, another hypno5e album maybe, dunno

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6946 on: November 05, 2017, 12:02:04 AM »
Crimson Glory- s/t

Fifth Angel- s/t

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6947 on: November 05, 2017, 05:04:28 AM »

so, you know that whole thing i said about the clean parts being better thna the heavy parts on the title track?
guess what
applies to the whole damn thing, unsurprisingly. i was very continously impressed by a lot of the cleaner parts, both the prettier moments and the darker, more sinister ones. the last two-part track especially, is really good, mostly because half of it is completely clean and the back half has no harsh vocals whatsoever (perfect). and story of the eye was cool too. had some flute stuff going on i think? it definitely seemed like the title track wasn't even the strongest here though it is plenty representative of the album. i will probably listen again but i don't see my opinion changing; at the same time the band seems aware enough of their strengths because i'm pretty sure there's twice as much clean stuff across the entire album as there is heavier stuff, so, lol
Yeah, the ending is great, and Story of the Eye was the song I was first planning to send. I think the weird strings into flute stuff make a pretty good transition into the slow section. Also, that song has one of my favourite Hypno5e riffs, the one around 3:55.

Honestly, I think this album and Shores of the Abstract Line are about equal, but I think you'd like that one more, has slightly less harsh vocals and when they're present they blend in a little more naturally with the instrumentals I feel. So yeah definitely that one second. Then there's Des Deux L'une Est L'autre which is a revisited version of their debut, they cut some stuff out and added some material, and I guess both are a bit more experimental and raw than the other two albums.

After the Burial: Saw them live and remembered how good Lost in the Static and Collapse were. The whole album is really solid, I guess it's like metalcore with some djent influences, not my usual type of music but it's just good songwriting, they don't go overboard on technicality and it is not constant breakdowns which I also appreciate.
Converge: I'm not quite on the same level as Zantera, but this should be in my top 10 of the year by the end of the year for sure, really good first impression. They kind of reinvented their sound without taking it too far from what we're used to from Converge. The title track, Broken By Light and Reptilian are early standouts, still really bummed that they made Eve a b-side, that's seriously one of their best songs so I have no clue why they didn't put it on the album.
Symphony X: I checked this out because of that poll of SyX vs. SoA. Even though the lyrics are really, really bad, the music is just very solid progmetal. I'm able to look past the lyrics because of it, I probably like this about as much as Paradise Lost and Underworld which is a good thing.
Ne Obliviscaris: Don't like this as much as most, but it's a good album. I think it's pretty dumb to release half the album before its release though but maybe that's just me, especially considering the last 2 singles were the two-part closing suite, kind of like spoiling the end of the book before releasing it. Intra Venus is still probably the best song here but Eyrie and Libera pt. 1 are close.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6948 on: November 05, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »

Magica and KtD let that bunch down.

It's so bad that we have to let our standards drop so much to enjoy KTD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6949 on: November 05, 2017, 08:21:24 AM »

so i only just realized the lead singer is the singer from TDEP, lol. uhh anyways. this was okay but maybe a bit lacking in color? i'm interested in relistening at least once but i can't say i see myself purchasing it after that

That one is a grower. Listen more, you'll get hooked, bro.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6950 on: November 05, 2017, 11:41:13 AM »
The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream

My favourite post-DT MP release.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6951 on: November 05, 2017, 12:35:06 PM »

so, you know that whole thing i said about the clean parts being better thna the heavy parts on the title track?
guess what
applies to the whole damn thing, unsurprisingly. i was very continously impressed by a lot of the cleaner parts, both the prettier moments and the darker, more sinister ones. the last two-part track especially, is really good, mostly because half of it is completely clean and the back half has no harsh vocals whatsoever (perfect). and story of the eye was cool too. had some flute stuff going on i think? it definitely seemed like the title track wasn't even the strongest here though it is plenty representative of the album. i will probably listen again but i don't see my opinion changing; at the same time the band seems aware enough of their strengths because i'm pretty sure there's twice as much clean stuff across the entire album as there is heavier stuff, so, lol
Yeah, the ending is great, and Story of the Eye was the song I was first planning to send. I think the weird strings into flute stuff make a pretty good transition into the slow section. Also, that song has one of my favourite Hypno5e riffs, the one around 3:55.

Honestly, I think this album and Shores of the Abstract Line are about equal, but I think you'd like that one more, has slightly less harsh vocals and when they're present they blend in a little more naturally with the instrumentals I feel. So yeah definitely that one second. Then there's Des Deux L'une Est L'autre which is a revisited version of their debut, they cut some stuff out and added some material, and I guess both are a bit more experimental and raw than the other two albums.
you should've sent story of the eye lol, yeah
also i am listening to shores now. i agree, i like this more. though their overuse of samples is a bit, killing me
but yeah the metal that is here is better and it feels like there's a lot less of it
i may check out their other stuff but lol is it impossible to find any of their albums for a reasonable price

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6952 on: November 05, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6953 on: November 06, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
Led Zeppelin- Celebration Day

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6954 on: November 06, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6955 on: November 06, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6956 on: November 06, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »

Battering Ram has become one of my favs from them all round.  Sacrifice I didn't really give much attention to when it came out but it's just as good, I can't believe I didn't give it the attention it deserves, nice and heavy this one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6957 on: November 06, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »

Battering Ram has become one of my favs from them all round.  Sacrifice I didn't really give much attention to when it came out but it's just as good, I can't believe I didn't give it the attention it deserves, nice and heavy this one.

All of Saxon's live albums are great, But St. Georges Day is really good with a lot of material from Sacrifice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6958 on: November 06, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »

All of Saxon's live albums are great, But St. Georges Day is really good with a lot of material from Sacrifice.

I'll have to check it out.  They have so much live stuff I can't keep up.

The Let Me Feel Your Power is one I'll need to get also I think.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6959 on: November 06, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »
the hirsch effekt - holon : anamnesis

this close to bumping this baby up to a 5* on rym tbh

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6960 on: November 06, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »

That was my impression (your initial one) - Battering Ram nice and consistent .......Sacrifice I really liked the title track and not much else (if memory serves correct)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6961 on: November 06, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »
They are both awesome, but I strongly prefer Sacrifice.

And yes, St. George's Day is awesome!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6962 on: November 06, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »

That was my impression (your initial one) - Battering Ram nice and consistent .......Sacrifice I really liked the title track and not much else (if memory serves correct)

This is pretty much what I thought too but listening to it again I'm not sure why I thought that, it's brilliant.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6963 on: November 06, 2017, 07:37:42 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6964 on: November 06, 2017, 10:25:52 PM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.