Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.5  (Read 454088 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: What album are you listening to? v.5
« Reply #6895 on: October 31, 2017, 03:54:43 PM »

Offline Art

« Reply #6896 on: November 01, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »

Nice work.   Heavens Gate are really under rated.  My fave is Livin In Hysteria.   They would've done better I think if they toned down their quirky sense of humour.

They are totally under rated! They were an incredibly talented band! I understand what you're saying, but i love the humor in their music.
Livin In Hysteria, Hell for Sale, Planet E and Menergy are all awesome records.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6897 on: November 01, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
Iron Maiden- Brave New World

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6898 on: November 01, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6899 on: November 01, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »
Why is Stephen King conducting Mozart?  ???
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6900 on: November 01, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
Why is Stephen King conducting Mozart?  ???
:rollin
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6901 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:34 AM »

maybe a bit of a lot to take in but on first listen i enjoyed this. aside from the really lo-fi production which i don't think quite suits the style of music that well. but i mean in general yeah this is cool. will check it out again at least one more time

mmm this was... fine. not really that fresh and not really that captivating but i mean, i found it pleasant enough. dunno if i'll revisit it, it's not really the kind of music i'm that interested in seeking out atm anyways but EHH

since i've listened to this before and it wasn't catching my interest again by around the halfway point i just turned it off. sorry. i just find this kind of generic despite what it's trying to do. i've already got better/more interesting black metal in my lineup anyways

i missed this listening to round 4 albums earlier and... it's okay. doesn't really do a ton to stand out but it didn't sound exactly like other prog metal i've heard before either. vocals are a bit weak. dunno if i'll return to it, maybe, but i wasn't that compelled by it

i turned this off halfway too, can't say it's a style that does much for me. like i said i can enjoy maybe a song or two in isolation but it's not the kind of thing i need a full album of

no way to argue this isn't way too long but it's interesting for sure. i feel i was half right in that arboreal sleep works a bit better in the context of the album but mostly because the entire album is as disjointed and all over the place as that song in particular. not necessarily in a bad way but it's a lot to take in for sure & definitely needs another listen

i'm also listening to hypno5e atm i'll update this with that later. train will kill me if i don't at least listen to one album from them, i figure

edit:

so, you know that whole thing i said about the clean parts being better thna the heavy parts on the title track?
guess what
applies to the whole damn thing, unsurprisingly. i was very continously impressed by a lot of the cleaner parts, both the prettier moments and the darker, more sinister ones. the last two-part track especially, is really good, mostly because half of it is completely clean and the back half has no harsh vocals whatsoever (perfect). and story of the eye was cool too. had some flute stuff going on i think? it definitely seemed like the title track wasn't even the strongest here though it is plenty representative of the album. i will probably listen again but i don't see my opinion changing; at the same time the band seems aware enough of their strengths because i'm pretty sure there's twice as much clean stuff across the entire album as there is heavier stuff, so, lol
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:45:39 AM by Parama »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6902 on: November 02, 2017, 06:30:25 AM »
Firehouse- s/t

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6903 on: November 02, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6904 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:02 AM »

Winger would be better!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6905 on: November 02, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6906 on: November 02, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6907 on: November 02, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6908 on: November 03, 2017, 02:00:02 AM »

i think this has moments where it flirts with something cool but i mostly found myself not too interested. the vocals were kind of a turn-off, i am really moving away from this kind of syrupy high-pitched male voice recently

not surprised in the least i was not too into this as a whole, a song or two i can take but this is one of those rather monochrome albums and i am someone who likes color. the 14 minute closer was kinda weird at least, i dug the drone-y second half? like this has its moments throughout mixed in with more aggressive stuff i don't care for but i doubt i could ever feel too strongly about it

well, i know where luoto got his username from now, at least. but i found this painfully boring, i barely noticed any of it while i was listening to it & technically didn't finish (didn't relisten to white palace at the end but listened to everything else so whatever). but yeah. not for me lol

somehow i was not aware this was metal at all? and that ivar bjornson is in enslaved the heck? well, that explains that, and, yeah, in the context of a full album all of this gets way better, i dug this quite a bit. definitely at least a relisten, might just go on the purchase list proper

too long, but above average for prog metal. there's a bit too much that feels like filler but the killer moments were there and hit hard. i'm upset at that one 2 minute instrumental that had some of the absolute best stuff on the album though, why isn't that one longer? that siren song in particular felt too long, cut that one down and give the rad instrumental more time. but no yeah this was pretty solid, will prob relisten

i think i may have overrated the song i got off this album just a tad - it's still good but i don't think it's quite the best song of the roulette. well anyways. i started off liking this quite a bit but as an album this is frustratingly one-note, where most of the songs are probably good in isolation (felt like it at least) but the entire album kind of runs together and i'm tired by the end (the closer was good regardless, just saying). maybe one or two tracks that felt kind of meh. will still relisten since there's definitely some emotional potency here but it desperately needed variation

hopefully i'll be able to burn through the rest of the roulette albums by saturday, 'cause i do kind of want to place an order asap. waaayy behind now lol. only like 2 albums from round 10 i still need to check out so that round should be quick but then there's like, 8 or so still from the EP round so, and a few more from round 9 as well

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6909 on: November 03, 2017, 02:15:30 AM »

Fourth time since I got it two days ago... love it

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6910 on: November 03, 2017, 04:52:07 AM »

Looks growly. Guessing it isn’t? 😀

Offline Art

« Reply #6911 on: November 03, 2017, 05:06:52 AM »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6912 on: November 03, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »

Looks growly. Guessing it isn’t? 😀

A little  ;D    Pushing the boundaries for me admittedly.    Broderick/Drover (ex-Megadeth).  Some good guitar playing/rhythms here and there but lacking in the songwriting department.  All rather samey.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6913 on: November 03, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6914 on: November 03, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »

One of the greatest symphonic metal albums ever made, and just one of my favorite albums of all time because it's such beautiful, intense music. It does symphonic metal better than any other group I've ever heard... Criminally unknown. I would love to make a thread for this band but I'd probably be the only one interested. Been a fan for over 10 years and still hear new things in these songs. The second album is almost as good, still heads and shoulders above most any other symphonic metal band out there. Such a shame they split up before making their 3rd album. The production on this is insane, with all that's going on, everything is still crystal clear in the mix.

Highly recommended to people who enjoy that genre of metal, concept albums, sophisticated orchestrations, don't mind the guitars taking a backseat (they serve the music instead of being the star of the show), and get off on saccharine melodies and high vocals.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #6915 on: November 03, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »

One of the greatest symphonic metal albums ever made, and just one of my favorite albums of all time because it's such beautiful, intense music. It does symphonic metal better than any other group I've ever heard... Criminally unknown. I would love to make a thread for this band but I'd probably be the only one interested. Been a fan for over 10 years and still hear new things in these songs. The second album is almost as good, still heads and shoulders above most any other symphonic metal band out there. Such a shame they split up before making their 3rd album. The production on this is insane, with all that's going on, everything is still crystal clear in the mix.

Highly recommended to people who enjoy that genre of metal, concept albums, sophisticated orchestrations, don't mind the guitars taking a backseat (they serve the music instead of being the star of the show), and get off on saccharine melodies and high vocals.

Are they criminally unknown because no one is allowed to say who they are?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6916 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
FII Demos
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6917 on: November 03, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »

Quite the contrary, I have told every major power metal fan I'm friends with about them, haha :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6918 on: November 03, 2017, 11:37:52 AM »

Quite the contrary, I have told every major power metal fan I'm friends with about them, haha :)

Haha...

Is their name just....      .....or?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6919 on: November 03, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »
the joke is the image you posted isn't displaying  ::)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6920 on: November 03, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »
Can you say who they are, Kattle, I'm intrigued by your description.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6921 on: November 03, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
went directly to the image link and found it

no clue why that image wasn't displaying, it's actually showing up for me in the thread now?? postimg is weird sometimes

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #6922 on: November 03, 2017, 12:08:56 PM »
went directly to the image link and found it

no clue why that image wasn't displaying, it's actually showing up for me in the thread now?? postimg is weird sometimes

And I'm not even seeing the image link on the original post. Just his text.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6923 on: November 03, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »
yeah you have to quote the post to see it, of course

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6924 on: November 03, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »

I forgot how badass this album was.  A few Bach solo tunes, then a live set full of Skid Row.  I saw him about a year after this was released at Milwaukee's Summerfest and was blown away at how powerful his band was then, despite him not being the greatest live singer.  It's only missing live versions of Piece of Me and The Threat, then it would be perfect.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #6925 on: November 03, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »

If the quality doesn't dip too much towards the end, this is probably the best VHB album in 9 years.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6926 on: November 03, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »

Winger would be better!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6927 on: November 03, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »

First one is Sacrament of Hope from Croatian band Chaos Addict, they finally released their debut. It's quite solid melodic thrash metal, great vocals (reminds me of Jorn Lande).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6928 on: November 03, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »
Wow, sorry everyone. I've never had that problem happen with postimage before. Anyway, yeah, they're a Brazilian power metal band called Aquaria, if you're even slightly interested in symphonic metal I'd highly recommend listening to that album (Luxaeterna). It's incredibly well written although there are spots where even my corny-music-loving self thinks they should've taken a different approach (there's one song with falsetto vocals where they really should have just gotten a female singer but oh well it's still beautiful).

EDIT: I think prog fans can find something to love in several of the songs because there's some experimental stuff going on. One of them has a section with such strange timing I still have no idea how to keep rhythm in it or what the time signatures are (if they even change -
 it's really interesting). Both albums are on Spotify now even though they never were before, odd timing
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:39:28 PM by Kattelox »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6929 on: November 03, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »
Savatage- Power of the Night