Author Topic: Metallica Survivor: Main Thread  (Read 9132 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Metallica Survivor: Main Thread
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
Yeah I like Unforgiven III, but S&R was a pretty boring instrumental track. That'll probably get my first vote.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2016, 07:31:37 AM »
I'd put Unforgiven III in the top 3 easily, but S&R can go out as one of the first 3 or so, it it were up to me. But come on, no one mentioned My Apocalypse? That's easily one of my least favorite Metallica songs not counting St. Anger!

Since in the last posts everyone is annoying each other expressing an opinion someone else doesn't agree with, I'll join in: if it was up to me, I'd have My Apocalypse WINNING the survivor.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline 425

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2016, 07:34:09 AM »
I'd put Unforgiven III in the top 3 easily, but S&R can go out as one of the first 3 or so, it it were up to me. But come on, no one mentioned My Apocalypse? That's easily one of my least favorite Metallica songs not counting St. Anger!

I love Metallica's instrumentals. I don't think S&R is quite as good as Ktulu, Orion or TLITD, but I think it's worthy of a place next to those three. But I suppose it was obvious in the RTL survivor that many people do not share my feelings about the instrumentals.

My Apocalypse will definitely be my first vote. Though it's not a bad song, it's definitely the weak spot on the album. But nothing on DM is among my least favorite Metallica songs. Aside from SA, those are all on Reload and KEA.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
The best one already?...
W.. What..? You're aware that we're in the top 3 right now right? I don't think 'already' applies, no matter how good you think dm is.

But it DOES matter.. I not only think is the undisputed number one, but also that is far, far... FAR better than both MoP and AJFA.. Besides a couple of pretty good songs, I don't get the love for them..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline 425

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2016, 10:33:59 PM »
I agree with that on MOP. I think that one is probably their least melodic album and really just doesn't have as much to love as its massive reputation would make it seem. I think Orion is a stellar track. And I like Thingy a lot. The rest aren't bad, per se, but this album is not nearly as good as either its predecessor or its successor.

I'd put AJFA probably just above DM. I think both are really good albums that also have their problems. But One and To Live Is To Die are both among their best tracks, while S&R and The Unforgiven III aren't quite at their level (very good, though).

This seems about right?

RTL
-----
TBA
AJFA
DM
Load
-----
MOP
RL
-----
KEA
SA
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2016, 02:15:43 PM »
This seems about right?

RTL
-----
TBA
AJFA
DM
Load
-----
MOP
RL
-----
KEA
SA

Not for me.. ;D

But at least you don't have MoP or KEA up in your ranking, as many other people, something I just don't get, and we share the best four, although in different order..

My own album ranking would be like this:

1- Death Magnetic

2- Metallica

(from here I don't really care much for the albums, just a few songs of each)

3- Ride the Lightning

4- ... And Justice for All

5- Kill'em All

6- St. Anger

7- Master of Puppets

8- Load

9- Reload

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2016, 06:25:51 PM »
6- St. Anger

7- Master of Puppets
:omg:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2016, 07:55:36 PM »
6- St. Anger

7- Master of Puppets

Yeah I'm not even the biggest St. Anger hater out there but it's crazy for someone to rank St. Anger over Master of Puppets. One record is so iconic it became the first metal album to be preserved in the U.S. Library of Congress while the other is often considered to be the worst metal album ever made. They aren't even close.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline 425

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2016, 09:07:59 PM »
Yeah, no way I'd put SA anywhere but last. But MOP is definitely very far from being their best album IMO.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2016, 11:27:59 PM »
6- St. Anger

7- Master of Puppets

Yeah I'm not even the biggest St. Anger hater out there but it's crazy for someone to rank St. Anger over Master of Puppets. One record is so iconic it became the first metal album to be preserved in the U.S. Library of Congress while the other is often considered to be the worst metal album ever made. They aren't even close.

Fortunately, I don't get carried away by what most people think or what any library has to say about an album of music.. ;)

I think MoP is a great song, and Battery is good.. Well, the same goes respectively to SA and Frantic.. The difference is that I don't like any of the rest of the songs in MoP, while I enjoy a couple in SA (DW and SMA).. Having said that, I don't feel SA is clearly better than the other one; they ARE actually very close IMO.. Idc about what the world has to say about it.. :eek

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2016, 06:44:07 AM »
6- St. Anger

7- Master of Puppets

This coming from the guy who ranks DM higher than TBA  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2016, 07:23:20 AM »
Fortunately, I don't get carried away by what most people think or what any library has to say about an album of music.. ;)

While it changes nothing about the actual point (which is that other people's opinions shouldn't affect your own at all), the U.S. Library of Congress—one of the world's largest libraries—preserves material of cultural significance, and does not apply that singularly to books.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
My Ranking

01: The Four Horsemen
No Remorse
Motorbreath
Whiplash
Phantom Lord
Hit the Lights
Seek & Destroy
Metal Militia
Jump in the Fire
(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2016, 10:28:28 AM »
6- St. Anger

7- Master of Puppets

This coming from the guy who ranks DM higher than TBA  :lol

You make a valid point. :lol
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »

While it changes nothing about the actual point (which is that other people's opinions shouldn't affect your own at all), the U.S. Library of Congress—one of the world's largest libraries—preserves material of cultural significance, and does not apply that singularly to books.

Mmm, ok.. I somehow suspected that.. But I liked the pun showing the immeasurability of that example..

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
Results from the Death Magnetic tournament.

01: All Nightmare Long
02: The Day That Never Comes

03: That Was Just Your Life
04: The End of the Line
05: The Unforgiven III
06: Cyanide
07: The Judas Kiss
08: Broken, Beat & Scarred
09: My Apocalypse
10: Suicide & Redemption

The game continues tomorrow with ...And Justice For All.

-MirrorMask

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
Justice is going to be so depressing when my favorite song doesn't make top 5 :(

I'll probably just never be open again or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2016, 08:10:19 PM »
Justice is going to be so depressing when my favorite song doesn't make top 5 :(

These last two albums are gonna be very hard for me to judge because there are so many songs between them that I want to see in the finals but there's only room for two to three from each album. There's songs like The Shortest Straw and Damage Inc. that I think deserve a spot in the finals but they may not even make it to the consolation round. It's gonna be difficult to see most of these songs on both remaining albums get eliminated.

-MirrorMask

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2016, 08:13:59 PM »

These last two albums are gonna be very hard for me to judge because there are so many songs between them that I want to see in the finals but there's only room for two to three from each album. There's songs like The Shortest Straw and Damage Inc. that I think deserve a spot in the finals but they may not even make it to the consolation round. It's gonna be difficult to see most of these songs on both remaining albums get eliminated.

That's how I feel about Justice. I would love Dyers Eve to go to the finals, but it's going to be hard to argue why One, To Live is to Die, or Blackened shouldn't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2016, 10:18:48 PM »
Harvester of Sorrow.

And To Live Is To Die which is in my top 5 easily, but I also feel the need just to say: Harvester of Sorrow.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2016, 01:35:55 AM »
AJFA is the odd one since Frayed Ends is my favorite there but it's maybe the least favorite song of the album for most.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2016, 02:23:07 AM »
I know what my first vote in AJFA survivor will be but I'm not sure about the rest.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2016, 04:10:46 AM »
I have a clear winner in mind for Justice (like everyone else I guess) and a clear second, I'm undecided about the third slot...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2016, 04:32:52 AM »
Results from the ...And Justice For All tournament.

01: One
02: Blackened

03: ...And Justice For All
04: The Frayed Ends of Sanity
05: Dyer's Eve
06: Eye of the Beholder
07: To Live is to Die
08: Harvester of Sorrow
09: The Shortest Straw

The albums will be finished off later in the day with Master of Puppets.

-MirrorMask

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
My DM ranking

10. Suicide & Redemption
9. Broken, Beat & Scarred
8. My Apocalypse
7. The Judas Kiss
6. Cyanide
5. The Unforgiven III
4. The End of the Line
3. The Day That Never Comes
2. That Was Just Your Life
1. All Nightmare Long

AJFA :

9. ...And Justice For All
8. To Live is to Die
7. Blackened
6. The Shortest Straw
5. Harvester of Sorrow
4. Eye of the Beholder
3. The Frayed Ends of Sanity
2. Dyer's Eve
1.  One

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2016, 09:40:56 AM »
Results from the Master of Puppets tournament.

01: Master of Puppets
02: Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
03: Orion
04: Battery
05: Disposable Heroes
06: Damage Inc.
07: The Thing That Should Not Be
08: Leper Messiah

The albums tournament will begin tomorrow.

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »

The albums tournament will begin tomorrow.

Damn tournaments starting on the weekend! I spend far less time online on the weekends when I'm not tethered to my desk at work lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2016, 06:40:37 PM »
Results from the albums tournament.

01: Master of Puppets
02: ...And Justice For All
03: Ride the Lightning
04: The Black Album
05: Kill 'Em All
06: Death Magnetic
07: Load
08: ReLoad
09: St. Anger

The consolations tournament begins tomorrow.

-MirrorMask

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2016, 12:33:01 AM »
I suggest making a mock survivor of Hardwired where we vote just based on how we like the song titles and expectations based on that, then compare it to what we think when the album comes out. Could make for fun time.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2016, 01:06:23 AM »
I suggest making a mock survivor of Hardwired where we vote just based on how we like the song titles and expectations based on that, then compare it to what we think when the album comes out. Could make for fun time.

Actually that would be a good idea for the lulz!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2016, 06:15:08 AM »

Actually that would be a good idea for the lulz!

I was thinking of running a mini survivor for the new album after a month of it being out so everyone has time to digest it. If enough people show interest, I may do both and run the first one right after the finals end.

-MirrorMask

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »
Results from the consolation round.

01: Creeping Death
02: Orion
03: ...And Justice For All

04: Sad But True
05: The Outlaw Torn
06: Hit the Lights
07: That Was Just Your Life
08: Fixxxer
09: St. Anger
10: Just a Bullet Away

Creeping Death, Orion, and ...And Justice For All advance to the finals. The survivor field is set. The finals begin tomorrow!

-MirrorMask

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »
I ended up having a busy day today, so the finals will begin tomorrow.

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2016, 08:26:59 AM »
Sad But True should have won over Justice, damn! uh well, bring on the finals  :metal

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »
Agreed.. They're miles away from each other..