Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 98170 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Final Round!
« Reply #1190 on: June 12, 2016, 05:35:13 PM »
  I keep going back and playing with myself , but I'm sorta biased.

:tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1191 on: June 12, 2016, 05:37:33 PM »
Unlike you Tim I don't need this to get me going   ;)

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1192 on: June 12, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »
You're already in first place. You don't need to post that to earn Bonus Points from Kade!

Besides, do you know how hard it is to post with one hand while covering the screen with the other?? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: June 12, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »

Besides, do you know how hard it is to post with one hand

:tup   :rollin
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: June 12, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »
Now that's what I like to see when I open my thread.

You're already in first place. You don't need to post that to earn Bonus Points from Kade!

Besides, do you know how hard it is to post with one hand

Ummm....don't we all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: June 12, 2016, 11:14:48 PM »
Probably should post up what the bonus bands were;

1. A band thats discussed on DTF a little bit, well more than a little bit actually - Haken

2. Band/s from Canada.  One member is in another popular band from Canada.  There is actually 2 bands this could be, and I'll accept either! - WarMachine/Heavens Fire

3. They have a cool name with two words in the title which has one of the words the same as a DTFer has in their name who actually are involved in this roulette, and this band wear makeup - Powerwolf

4. Straight forward metal band with a Halford like singer from America - Cage

5. Swedish band formed in 1991, has been discussed briefly here before.  The guitarist is the driving force behind the band - Tad Morose

6. Another band that gets discussed on DTF a little bit, actually more than a little bit - The Dear Hunter

7. Popular swedish extreme metal band, not sure if I would like them or not, oh and did I say they were popular, cause they are, very - Meshuggah

8. Progressive metal band from Denmark, cool name with 2 words in the title and 6 albums - Anubis Gate

9. Three piece that released their debut last year, they are from America - Native Construct

10. Power metal from Finland.  Has 6 albums, formed in 1997, first album in 2001 - Burning Point

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1196 on: June 13, 2016, 12:02:59 AM »
lolwut haken was never banned and never sent?  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: June 13, 2016, 12:12:19 AM »
I didn't send any but had guessed Haken, Powerwolf and Anubis Gate.   I was no doubt the source of the Tad Morose chat , but didn't think of them.  Pretty sure I have sent you some stuff from them at one point but the production often lets them down a bit and so I wasn't too confident for the roulette.   Even so I still love tracks like Take On The World.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: June 13, 2016, 02:39:11 AM »
3. They have a cool name with two words in the title which has one of the words the same as a DTFer has in their name who actually are involved in this roulette, and this band wear makeup - Powerwolf

I couldn't guess this one even though I spent a lot of time on it, and all because I didn't include you in the actual "involved in this roulette" list. :facepalm:

And I totally missed Haken being available. :facepalm: :facepalm:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1199 on: June 13, 2016, 03:15:57 AM »
So I literally listened to the Burning Point album three times and I could not decide on a track that I thought was strong enough.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: June 13, 2016, 05:29:56 AM »
I was very surprised I didn't get Haken.  Probably a good thing because the couple of times I've tried them, they really haven't done anything for me.

I didn't send any but had guessed Haken, Powerwolf and Anubis Gate.   I was no doubt the source of the Tad Morose chat , but didn't think of them.  Pretty sure I have sent you some stuff from them at one point but the production often lets them down a bit and so I wasn't too confident for the roulette.   Even so I still love tracks like Take On The World.

Can't recall mate if you've sent me any Tad Morose, I know someone was talking them up big time at one point.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1201 on: June 13, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
I almost sent The Dear Hunter in my "fuck it" mentality.

I don't know why Burning Point didn't cross my mind.  Oh well.  I didn't even bother trying to figure out the bonus bands, I kicked everyone but Brent's ass straight up  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1202 on: June 13, 2016, 12:51:10 PM »
I considered the Cage album but thought you had really hated a track from the new one when we discussed it.
Someone beat me to sending Anubis Gate.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1203 on: June 13, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
I considered the Cage album but thought you had really hated a track from the new one when we discussed it.

Don't recall that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: June 13, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
I think I said it was nice and heavy but I was struggling to find a song  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1205 on: June 13, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »

Don't recall that.

My memory is shit. Someone was not impressed, thought it was you. Might have been wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: June 13, 2016, 03:32:26 PM »
Ah well.  I know I found the Death Dealer which has Peck in it really fucking disappointing.  I didn't even listen to the second album at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: June 13, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »
Final Round Results

And here it is, we've come to the end.  The scores are every song added together then divided by the number of songs submitted to get the average.

Brent

Snakeyes - Black and White

Brent kicks things off with someting he describes as Spain's version of Priest or PF and he's pretty spot on.  Nice chunky yet predictable riffs, snarling vocals and the tempo throughout is really nice.  The high vocals were very impressive too.  Certainly nothing I haven't heard before, but a fan of this style can't find anything really wrong with this.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Instrumentation and Vox - 9.0
Structure and Songwriting - 9.0
Replay Value - 9.0
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.0

Randy Piper's Animal - Eye of the Storm

I remember when I read that Randy Piper was putting his own band together but didn't get around to checking it out, and I certainly missed out.  This track was my fav of the EP.  Again, just solid metal here, great sound, nice solid riffs and the vocals were just awesome.  The chorus is what got me, fucking brilliant.  It's just so simple and straightforward but brilliantly done.  Definitely an album I need to check out.  Good to see Randy doing his own thing and not producing a WASP clone, love it.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Structure and Songwriting - 9.5
Replay Value - 9.5
Would I Purchase - 9.5

Score - 9.3

Conerstone - Unchosen One

The name doesn't ring a bell, but the vocalist certainly does in Doogie White.  His vocals here are awesome as they always are.  Nothing really wrong here, solid song but didn't have me going like the other two.  Pretty simple in structure and teh songwriting I actually get a Tony Martin Sabbath era feel.  I think maybe it just lacked the energy that the other two did.  Still very good.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Structure and Songwriting - 8.0
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5

Knight Fury - The Message

Another solid metal track with some more names that I know.  Not much to say with this one, it was cool, but nothing mindblowing at all, and I think this is one of those ones that normally I'd like more but so far into this thing, perhaps just doesn't have the impact like it should or normally would.  Still good stuff here.

Appeal of Style - 8.0
Instrumentation and Vox - 8.0
Structure and Songwriting - 8.0
Replay Value - 8.0
Would I Purchase - 8.0

Score - 8.0

Artch - Living in the Past

Another Brent classic that I've never even heard of and this one was pretty cool.  First thing I notice is that it sounds fantastic for 1988, great sound and production.  Brent highlighted the vocals and definitely he was right, great singer and I do hear the Bruce vibe he was saying.  I also hear a bit of Lizzy Borden in this too for some reason.  I like the chorus, definitely more 80's sounding here.  Nice groove and definitely keeps my interest.  Solid 8.5

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Instrumentation and Vox - 8.5
Structure and Songwriting - 8.5
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5

Zool - Snake Eyes

Right off the bat you hear a more vintage sound to this one.  Brent tells me it's a project created by Henrik from Evil Masquerade, and I definitely hear Evil Masquerade lite in here.  Again, I think this is something normally I'd like more, but this one left me a little flat.  Everything was good, just didn't live up to the rest.

Appeal of Style - 7.5
Structure and Songwriting - 7.5
Replay Value - 8.0
Would I Purchase - 7.0

Score - 7.6

Portrait - We Are Not Alone

This one got the energy kicking again, with a nice start.  Brent says these guys are going for a Mercyful Fate type of thing and I have to be honest, I don't hear that too much here, but I can definitely get that vibe in some of the vox and the chorus, so I guess I do haha.  Nevertheless, I really liked this one.  Evil, dark. nice riffs, and bloody great guitars too.  Good mix of heavy riffing and melody.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Replay Value - 9.0
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 8.9

Phenomena - Move - You Lose

I actually have one Phenomena album, the latest one I think and they were definitely a project I had been meaning to look into more based on the guests.  This is some smooth AOR with the late great Ray Gillan.  I'm sure we all wish he did more work and was still around cause of course his vocals here are great.  Saying that, this didn't blow me away.  Brent warned me of the change in pace in chorus and he thought I'd be fine with it, but yeah, it did actually let it down for me a bit.  I thought the chorus was a bit flat and didn't live up to the rest of the song to be honest.  I love the vibe in the verses and the guitars are killer too.  Good song, again, nothing I haven't heard before.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Replay Value - 8.0
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.4

Total EP score - 8.52

Mason

Big Big Train - Folklore

I've seen this name floated around here a few times but the name of the band I assumed would be something I wouldn't really be into, so was interested in this one.  Instantly what I had in my head from the band name was quite spot on.  I get a real Peter Gabriel vibe in the vocals on this one, but they are good.  This is really original and was prepared to be open minded when it came to Mason't EP.  The instrumentation had a bit of Ayreon and other stuff mixed in which I actually liked.  This didn't blow me away, but could really appreciate it and enjyed listening to it.  The instrumental part was great too.

Appeal of Style - 8.0
Replay Value - 8.0
Would I Purchase - 8.0

Score - 8.2

Orphaned Land - Ocean Land

Another band I know the name well but have never heard a single thing from them.  Again right away the sound is the style I have imagined in my head and again, this is something quite original IMO.  Love the tempo and the riffing here and the way it flows is nice.  Love the growls that come in and mix with the music, quite wonderful.  Get a definite Myrath feel and even some Kamelot and Pain of Salvation at times too.  The cleans didn't match the growls but that criteria still gets a good score based on the music adn growls.  I really like the chorus and the melodies too.  Great guitars which made it more appealing too.  I really enjoyed this and could potentially check them out.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.7

MindMaze - Moment of Flight

As I've made it pretty clear in this roulette, female fronted metal is pretty hit or miss with me and Mason decides to roll the dice with this band here.  Things start off really nice and heavy and I like where this is going.  Was wondering what type of female vox were coming up and we get a pretty girly and pretty voice which normally isn't my thing.  This I think I have to make an exception.  The contrast between her voice and the music actually worked quite well for me, and she has some nice qualities to her voice.  The chorus was excellent and sold me on this song.  The instrumental section was brilliant.  I can't believe this scored so highly.

Appeal of Style - 9.0
Replay Value - 9.0
Would I Purchase - 9.0

Score - 9.0

Red Fang - Wires

Some stoner rock which I'm a casual fan of, but normally the heavier kind.  This reminded me right away of Queens of the Stone Age.  The excellent video made it more enjoyable but when I just listen to the track, it doesn't really do it for me unfortunately.  Everything here is nice and it has some great qualities but I can take it or leave it.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Replay Value - 7.5
Would I Purchase - 7.0

Score - 7.7

Tiles - Beneath the Surface

Mason sent me these guys cause I like Rush and I quite liked this.  Nice sound and a definite Rush vibe, especially in the music and guitar solo.  The vocals were a bit different and an acquired taste, but I have no problem with them.  Nothing mindblowing but a really nice song, and I'd like to hear more from these guys.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5

Total EP Score - 8.42

Final Scores

1. bl5150 - 89.82
2. Dr. DTVT - 88.72

BRENT IS THE WINNER!!!!

Mason, even though you threw caution to the wind with your EP, it actually stacked up nicely.  Well done and thank you to everyone involved, this has been a most pleasing and worthwhile experience!!

Let me just leave you with a Kip Winger gif!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!
« Reply #1208 on: June 13, 2016, 09:34:53 PM »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: June 13, 2016, 09:36:54 PM »
If by chance there were DTF roulette groupies, Brent would be surrounded by them

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: June 13, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »
Good stuff Kade.   Nothing much surprised me there aside from maybe the Zool -  Jay gave that a 10 and I wasn't expecting such a difference between you two.

Well that completes the Grand Slam (Bolsters, Jay and Kade in succession) and with that I will retire from roulettes for the foreseeable future and focus on my podcast.  I'd like to thank my family , my support team , the hosts and the metal gods without which none of this would've been possible.  I feel honored to now be in the company of greats like Stiffi Graf , Rod Laver and that other bloke..........um Serena Williams.

Seriously.......thanks Kade for a cool roulette and to all the other players.  It was about as tough a field as you could get and it's been a good one to be involved in.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: June 13, 2016, 10:14:59 PM »
Cool shit Brent, you certainly have been smasing it lately, and you were up against the best of the best so, well done.

I'll probably have a break from anything roulette related also for a while and actually concentrate on getting into some of these new bands plus a lot of new releases this year that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
Doing the same in recent days - I am waaaay behind on 2016 releases after all these roulettes. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1213 on: June 14, 2016, 03:09:03 AM »
Well done brent, you're the man.  :hefdaddy
Some good stuff there (and some average...) from both finalists and some that I considered but didn't send. I'm just not very good at this!

I love MindMaze but thought the vocals would put Kade off. Should have gone for it  :)
Had Orphaned Land lined up too, but I only listen to the mostly non-growly album All Is One.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1214 on: June 14, 2016, 03:10:29 AM »
Congrats Brent.

Very pleased to end up in big four of this roulette. Great pace and nice writeups Kade, I really enjoyed playing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: June 14, 2016, 05:17:06 AM »
For thanks the positive feedback Ruslan.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1216 on: June 14, 2016, 06:21:06 AM »
Yeah Kade, this was very well done

Except of course for the ridiculous Japanese bonus bands :)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1217 on: June 14, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
Yeah Kade, this was very well done

Except of course for the ridiculous Japanese bonus bands :)

Yeah, it's catching  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1218 on: June 14, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »
..yeah, like herpes!

And speaking of herpes, that gif. has been reported all the way to the top, but I don't think I got anywhere because this was his response:

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I quite enjoyed it!

:facepalm:

;D

Well done Kade and Brent! :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: June 14, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Alright, I've quickly thrown together a 2cd best of of all my fav songs submitted in this roulette.  Threw together over 3 hours at the start and that's with leaving some borderline ones off.

Wolfking's Roulette to End All Roulettes 2CD

1. Bloodbound - Bloodtale/Satanic Panic (Evermind)
2. Mercury Falling - Queen of Pain (bl5150)
3. Meshuggah - Bleed (Elite)
4. Slash - Beneath the Savage Sun (Train of Naut/Bolsters)
5. Lethal - Fire in Your Skin (bl5150)
6. Almanac - Self Blinded Eyes (bl5150)
7. Ghost Ship Octavius - In Dreams (DR. DTVT)
8. Triosphere - The Hearts Dominion (jingle.boy)
9. Orden Ogan - To the End (lowdz)
10. Randy Piper's Animal - Eye of the Storm (bl5150)
11. Leatherwolf - The Calling (lowdz)
12. Galahad - Empires Never Last (Evermind)
13. Pharoah - In Your Hands/The Spiders Thread Reprise (bl5150)

CD2

1. Iris Divine - Prisms (Dr DTVT.)
2. Moon'Doc - Watching Your Way (Big Hath)
3. Omnium Gatherum - The Second Flame (Big Hath)
4. Powerworld - Cleansed By Fire (Dr. DTVT)
5. Dimension Act - Cosmic Chaos (Dr. DTVT)
6. All Seeing Eyes - Hunted (Evermind)
7. Shaft of Seel - Drive (jingle.boy)
8. Warrior - Kill the Machine (jjrock88)
9. Hangar - The Reason For Your Conviction (TAC)
10. Recon - Dreams (jjrock88)
11. Wolverine - Your Favourite War (Dr. DTVT)
12. Brainstorm - The Leading (bl5150)
13. Until Rain - Brain Death (jingle.boy)
14. Iris Divine - In the Wake of Martyrs (TAC)

There you have it, both CD's pretty much max out at 80 minutes.  There's probably a few I've left off based on the scores, but some of the others have grown on me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1220 on: June 14, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »
Nice! :tup

You'll enjoy that too. I still have my entire roulette on my iPod and I listen to it from time to time.  I'll usually pick a round and go through it. Well, there's one round that never gets picked! ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1221 on: June 14, 2016, 03:54:59 PM »
What??? No Switchblade Serenade?  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1222 on: June 14, 2016, 04:25:04 PM »
awww yeah not a single song I sent  :corn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: June 14, 2016, 04:26:20 PM »
awww yeah not a single song I sent  :corn

East of the Wall just had to be cut just cause of time constraints.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: June 14, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »
Three of my songs made it, good enough.