Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 99867 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Cue unexpected twist!
« Reply #805 on: May 12, 2016, 11:41:28 PM »
I won't reveal them probably until the roulette is over.

Please no one feel obliged, it's just a bit of an afterthought side game for a bit of fun.

If you think one could be a band you were going to possibly send anyway, then giddy up!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: May 13, 2016, 12:48:01 AM »
Friday night is almost upon us :corn  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: May 13, 2016, 06:18:39 AM »
Friday night is almost done - I tried to put the pressure on but no dice  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: May 13, 2016, 06:31:14 AM »
10:30pm, just got home, going to bed, so results first thing in the morning, should be at by 7am.

Sorry folks.  :biggrin:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #809 on: May 13, 2016, 06:51:59 AM »
That will still be Friday night for me :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #810 on: May 13, 2016, 06:54:08 AM »
I have no intention of getting up that early, so it'll probably be noon tomorrow for me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #811 on: May 13, 2016, 07:43:49 AM »
Unacceptable.  Sleep is irrelevant.

ROULETTEZ IS SERIOUS BIZNIS!!!!

Thankfully I'll just fill my time with work, and see how I fared at the end of the day.  Something to look forward to?

#gogogreekguitarist
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #812 on: May 13, 2016, 07:57:30 AM »
Something to look forward to?

Depends on the scores, probably :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #813 on: May 13, 2016, 08:41:20 AM »
When I do my roulette, I will wake up at 4 AM and post results to confuse my participants in (roughly) the same timezone.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
When I was doing my roulette, I woke up at 5 A.M. and listened to the songs. Because, well, I was listening to the songs on a road to work. :lol

I think it's 3-4 hours until the results? I think I'll stay up and wait, it's still only 8:30 PM here and tomorrow is Saturday so yeah.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #815 on: May 13, 2016, 12:04:15 PM »
^ Indeed, my thinking as well.
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #816 on: May 13, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
I'm hoping to still be drunk by the time I get home so I can go through with my stupid decision of next round's song, otherwise I might pussy out.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: May 13, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »
I think I might know the progressive metal band from Denmark with 6 albums. Might even have a promo album from them. Not sure if I want to test my luck on this one or not.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #818 on: May 13, 2016, 12:33:08 PM »
I'm hoping to still be drunk by the time I get home

:lol
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: May 13, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »
Isn't is 7am there yet??

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #820 on: May 13, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »
1.5 hours to go, if I'm right
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: May 13, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »
1.5 hours to go, if I'm right

I'm gonna be down to my knuckles by then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: May 13, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
Give me 15 minutes.

It's 6:50am

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: May 13, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »
It's 17 minutes already!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #825 on: May 13, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
 :chill

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Round 5 results!!
« Reply #826 on: May 13, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
Round 5 Results!!

bl5150 - Mercury Falling - Queen of Pain

Ruslan pulling Brent up on the Conception submission may not have been the smartest choice, cause I think I like this better.  The storming riff straight up was awesome, love it.  Interesting vocals, quite dark and strong.  The chorus I didn't find the most catchy or memorable thing I've heard at first, but it grew quickly and I really like the intensity of it and I keep spinning the song, it's quite addictive.  Solid instrumental section too.  The whole thing reminds me a bit of Borealis, which is a good thing.  Nothing new here, but a damn fine song indeed, from what appears to be a solid ass band.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and Vox - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 9
Replay Value - 9.5
Would I Purchase - 9

Score - 9.1

Train of Naut and Bolsters - Slash feat. Myles Kennedy - Beneath the Savage Sun

I thought it was a joke when I got this song twice but seems not.  Slash I've never rated as a guitarist.  I think it's more G'n'R I just never could stand, so I think Slash copped the brunt of that.  I just never appreciated his style, and he's overrated as fuck if you ask me.  Alter Bridge however has been a band I've followed since the first album and love them and Myles' voice is spectacular, so it's no surprise to see this song and strategically a smart move.  I don't think I've heard anything of what Slash and Myles has done, so this was fresh and I didn't really have any expectations.  But you know what, this is a fucking great song, Myles is just so good.  Don't know if I'd like it as much if he wasn't involved but that's irrelevant, cause he is.  The chorus is what carries the song here, very strong and surprising that I like this so much.  I was waiting for Slash's solo and the first one was pretty decent and there was nothing overplayed.  The second one almost got to that point of overplaying but it was okay, and had some good ideas and licks from Slash actually.  Still not a big Slash fan, but he's good here and I might have to check this album out if it's all at this quality.  Myles is simply amazing.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and Vox - 9.5
Replay Value - 9
Would I Purchase - 9

Score - 9.1

lowdz - Leatherwolf - The Calling

Fuck yeah, now we're talking.  Cool ass name and right away I was bobbing my head.  Strong guitar tone straight up and I loved the vocals instantly too.  The main riff is strong and ballsy too. The chorus was an instant hit and while nothing overly memorable or over the top, just really well written and flowed beautifully.  Everything about this track had me going and even though it's so simple, I love it.  Killer solos too which just topped it off.  Definitely a band I need to look at.

Appeal of Style - 9
Replay Value - 9
Would I Purchase - 9

Score - 9.0

Evermind - Galahad - Empires Never Last

Ruslan pulls out something different again and I'm gonna say straight up, for some reason, I fucking loved this.  This isn't my usual preferred style but something about this track was so original and well done and always had me wanting more.  The long Tool like bass intro was appreciated and set things up nicely with the guitars coming in at around the 2 minute mark was fabulous.  I must say, the vocals and delivery did throw me at first, but I think it's one of those things you get use to with time.  A bit over dramatic, but that's a minor issue and again, I got use to it with the more listens.  I just liked the prog elements mixed with the metal elements, it was done really well.  The chorus seems arkward but just works.  The heavier riffs in the later half were simple and predictable but I have no issues with that.  The solo was just the icing on the cake.  Unexpected, but I think I need to check these guys out.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Instrumentation and Vox - 8.5
Structure and Songwriting - 9.5
Replay Value - 9.5
Would I Purchase - 9

Score - 9.0

Dr. DTVT - Powerworld - Cleansed By Fire

Seen this name plenty of times, and to be honest I was fully expecting this from Chad.  It has the great Mac (RIP) so right away we're off to a good start.  The intro instantly reminded me heavily of Mercyful Fates, The Uninvited Guest and it gets me everytime actually, but that's not an issue.  Mac sounds great of course and I was kind of surprised by the almost jazzy feel of the choruses and how light on the chorus is, or lack there of.  The verse and chorus seem to blend which is an interesting touch.  The structure and songwriting here is quite fresh and original.  The brilliant solo kicks in which takes things to another level again and is done really well.  This didn't blow me away but I really like it and should check them out.  Good hard rock.

Appeal of Style - 9
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.8

Parama - Enslaved - Roots of the Mountain

Uh oh, it's a Parama specialty right here, I'm excited.  Right away with the very start of the song I had a bit of a chuckle and wondered what I was in for this time, but the first ten seconds are a misinterpretation of the song IMO.  The variety in vocals here is quite cool and holds my interest.  I love the Opeth like growls, those sections are ballsy.  The cleans are different and a little out of my zone, but I like the melodies, and how it flows into the guitar solo was quite epic.  There is so many different styles and original ideas here that I can't help not to like it.  Doesn't even feel like 9 minutes either, and given the amount of styles, it flows nicely.  Fuck, I might have to look into these guys!!

Appeal of Style - 8
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5

jingle.boy - Ioannis Anastassakis - Orbital Attempt

Well, a guitar instrumental from Chad, this was a surprise.  One would seem that sending me an 8 minute guitar shred fest would automatically get a 10 but being if I don't mind me saying, a somewhat experience and competent guitar player, it would also involve more risk.  This was just tough.  At times the melodies were awesome and sweet but other times, some of what was going on seemed a bit novice like in terms of playing.  Don't get me wrong, it was a pleasure to listen too, but the playing doesn't have the natural flair and personality of your Malmsteens, Vai's, TMac, Becker, Moore etc.  It's like a second rate instrumental guitarist to my ears.  It sounds like I'm being a prick, but it still does deserve a good score, as I said, the melodies carry it and keep my interest, luckily I just don't have much expectations from stuff like this as I've heard most of it before.  It was nice to hear some new guitar instrumental stuff though as it's been a while.  It's way too long though, seriously 8 minutes, but kudos to this guy for being able to keep my attention for that long and wanting me to replay it too with what's going on here, that deserves credit.  Nothing I haven't heard before though, that's for sure, but solid.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and Vox - 8
Structure and Songwriting - 8
Replay Value - 8.5
Would I Purchase - 7.5

Score - 8.2

jjrock88 - Honeymoon Suite - Burning in Love

Another jj classic.  Again like most of his submissions, solid, to the point and catchy.  Nothing new going on here and certainly nothing overly heavy at all, and in fact very radio friendly for the time, but it's enjoyable.  Probably based on what I already have down, I wouldn't look into any of their albums right away but solid nevertheless.  Nice vocals, nice solo, solid track.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Instrumentation and Vox - 8
Replay Value - 8
Would I Purchase - 7.5

Score - 8.0

Elite - Toxik - Shotgun Logic

Some old school thrash here that was an interesting listen.  Can't say I've ever heard of this band before. This was tough as it was hard to get my head around at first.  I think the sharp guitar tone and intensity was really good.  I didn't find anything that memorable but still liked it.  The breakdown and the guitar solo I must say was unexpected but really took the song to another level which I appreciated, well done.  The second half of the solo was excellent too.  Pretty standard thrash, but had enough to hold my interest and enjoy the repeated spins.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Replay Value - 8
Would I Purchase - 7.5

Score - 8.1

Big Hath - Arion - Shadows

The first time I heard this song, I was quite impressed, but for some reason the more I listened the more it wore off on me.  It has a somewhat modern feel mixed with a power metal style, and I'm not that sold on the more modern feel but everything here is performed and done really well.  Wasn't that sold on the chorus either but something kept my interest just enough.  This was a weird one.  Solid but not outstanding, and based on the song, wouldn't check them out at this stage.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Structure and Songwriting - 7.5
Replay Value - 8
Would I Purchase - 7

Score - 7.9

TAC - Hibria - Millenium Quest

Hmmm.....this has everything that I should like in a metal song, and I tried many times, but for some reason, this just didn't do it for me.  It just seemed very generic and run of the mill.  I wasn't a huge fan of the singer either.  Production is good, the guitars sound great and these guys can play and the chorus was somewhat catchy, but yeah, I don't know.  I can't rate it that low because what is one offer here really is good stuff, I think the last two components just take a hit because I didn't take to it.

Appeal of Style - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 8.5
Replay Value - 7
Would I Purchase - 6

Score - 7.8

lonestar - Deadly Circus Fire - Threnody

Things with this one seemed promising first off, but something about this tune just didn't click with me.  I see these guys are English but I could have sworn they were part of the more modern American scene.  Strong and aggresive and I like the Tool like verses too.  I don't know, I just didn't find the chorus all that strong or memorable and while everything here is solid, just something that didn't really interest me on a whole.

Appeal of Style - 8
Instrumentation and Vox - 7.5
Structure and Songwriting - 7
Replay Value - 7
Would I Purchase - 7

Score - 7.3

Standing after round 5;

Dr. DTVT - 44.4
bl5150 - 44.4
Big Hath - 43.8
Evermind - 43.7
lowdz - 42.8
jingle.boy - 41.9
TAC - 41.7
jjrock88 - 40.0
lonestar - 38.4
Train of Naut - 38.3
Bolsters - 38.2
Elite - 36.7
Parama - 34.8

Okay last round before 5 get cut.  The bottom five need to hope a couple above them fuck up really badly or perhaps take a punt at a bonus band get an extra submission and increase the chances of a good score!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:49:22 PM by wolfking »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yeah, there's no way I'm gonna gain 3.3 points more than jj next round, I think I'll just send a swan song for this roulette.
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that Galahad song is quite weird and unusual, but somehow it just works and asks for repeated listens. Don't know what it is about that song, but I love it and I'm glad you appreciated it too.

Shame about that Hibria track... I really loved it. And Arion too. Wow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolfking, there is a mistake with my score. Just sayin'.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know what it was, everything seemed right, just didn't hit the sweet spot for some reason.  Same with the Arion.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Apparently you have a small um..spot. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Apparently you have a small um..spot. ;D

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
okay, I'll take it.

sending another 5/10 when I get home

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
okay, I'll take it.

sending another 5/10 when I get home

Bro, 8.5, don't be like that.  :hat

Anyway, out now for the weekend, so won't be back online for another 36 hours, so no rush with submissions.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
at this point I could send a song you love enough to give 12/10 and still get cut, so,  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Totally fair comments - and as a non guitarist, I guess I don't know the difference between good and great. I'll take th 8+. Still within shooting distance of the lead.

Yeah, that Galahad song is quite weird and unusual, but somehow it just works and asks for repeated listens. Don't know what it is about that song, but I love it and I'm glad you appreciated it too.

Shame about that Hibria track... I really loved it. And Arion too. Wow.

^ all of this.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Sent.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Awesome! We did it Dave :metal still sharing the 10th spot with you though. Myles really owns this song. I probably have to disappoint you though, this song doesn't really represent the album at all, it's a bit more rock 'n roll centered. But Myles really is the center of attention for the most part, so it's still a really enjoyable album for me.

I sent my ballsy round 6 song at an attempt to get the bonus, if it turns out this is actually not one of the bonuses I'm probably fucked.