Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 99764 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Maybe I made some of these too easy haha;

Confirmed;

Ghost Ship Octavius
Voices from the Fuselage
Theocracy
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
The second one could be Xerath.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes it is.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Sixth is Solstafir

Xerath is Naught's submission, Solstafir is Parama's.

Can't make out anything else yet.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
It's not Sunday yet.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
It is sunday where I live
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have the majority of the writeups done and I should be able to post in the morning.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry if you guys feel I'm taking too long.  I'm a pretty strict routine man and am a creature of habit.  Plus I try to get as many listens in as I can in the week.  Definitely results tomorrow morning before I'm off for the weekend.  Anyway here's another pic of the song titles until morning;

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I have the majority of the writeups done and I should be able to post in the morning.

Sorry if you guys feel I'm taking too long.  I'm a pretty strict routine man and am a creature of habit.  Plus I try to get as many listens in as I can in the week.  Definitely results tomorrow morning before I'm off for the weekend.  Anyway here's another pic of the song titles until morning;

It's all good mate.  We're just a bunch of eager mofo's.

And I now see Votum?  Interesting choice.

The other bands in there that I can read, but I don't know much of - Shadow Keep, All Seeing Eyes, Lordi, Viscous Rumours, Balance of Power, and Tesla.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't hide em too well this time did I haha.

I think Jason is just making me look bad with his blinding speed.  :lol

EdIT:  Chad, the one you're missing you really should be getting.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow...........Tesla wasn't banned.    All Seeing Eyes I am guessing is Ruslan - he's the only guy other than me who has mentioned them afaik.   Balance of Power - ummmm Hath  :lol   Viscous Rumours (need some thinner Chad) would be JJ I am guessing.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Didn't hide em too well this time did I haha.

I think Jason is just making me look bad with his blinding speed.  :lol

EdIT:  Chad, the one you're missing you really should be getting.

Coming Ha???  dunno.

Wow...........Tesla wasn't banned.

I was just as shocked - so I capitalized (I hope).

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Coming Ha???  dunno.

Coney Hatch - First Time For Everything ..............that could also be JJ
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Sorry if you guys feel I'm taking too long. 

Nah, we're just assholes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Coming Ha???  dunno.

Definitely JJ.  I was never a big CH fan, and I doubt any non-Canadian would know them well enough to use in a roulette.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Never heard of them.

Has the bottom one been guessed? Edit: Yes.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Now that I think of it I sent an email to Kade asking if Vicious Rumors not being banned was an oversight - obviously someone else felt the same (Paul maybe)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I've got Balance of Power - Walking on Top of the World in my roulette from Jon too.

All Seeing Eyes I am guessing is Ruslan - he's the only guy other than me who has mentioned them afaik.

I don't even remember mentioning them here at DTF, but yeah, this is mine. Pretty good album if you're willing to overlook a few issues like some filler, amateur fadeouts and mediocre production at some points.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lowdz

Coming Ha???  dunno.

Definitely JJ.  I was never a big CH fan, and I doubt any non-Canadian would know them well enough to use in a roulette.

Oh yes we would. Had Dont Say Make me lined up for the next round. Bugger.
Been a big fan since hearing that song on a compilation in 1984.

Offline Lowdz

Wow...........Tesla wasn't banned.    All Seeing Eyes I am guessing is Ruslan - he's the only guy other than me who has mentioned them afaik.   Balance of Power - ummmm Hath  :lol   Viscous Rumours (need some thinner Chad) would be JJ I am guessing.
Damen, Tesla gone too. List is getting shorter.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Coming Ha???  dunno.

I saw them in 1983 and had their first album. But no, I would never use them in a roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sometimes it seems you guys are more Canadian than me!!!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
But for them to be more Canadian then Chad, they need to prove their knowledge with hockey, Trailer Park Boys and poutine. And they need to practice their "eh"

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Hard Rock Hallelujah??  :rollin

I wonder, is this one well known outside of Europe? To me it's one of those tunes everyone - metal or no metal - has heard of, but it's probably only EU for obvious reasons (they won the eurovision song festival with that song)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
But for them to be more Canadian then Chad, they need to prove their knowledge with hockey, Trailer Park Boys and poutine. And they need to practice their "eh"

Relevant

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I've got hockey well covered.
And I drink Moosehead everyday eh!
I've also played hockey in Quebec and Nova Scotia when I was a kid.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:12:23 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I've got hockey well covered.
And I drink Moosehead everyday eh!
I've also played hockey in Quebec and Nova Scotia when I was a kid.

You are in!  I have an old Winnipeg Jets jersey that you can borrow.

Offline Lowdz

I used to play hockey on the mega drive, just for the punch ups though.
Girls play hockey in the UK...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 4 Results!!!!

Evermind - All Seeing Eyes - Hunted

I've made it quite clear that I'm looking for different new stuff with this roulette, which has been achieved already, but when I receive a safe, generic yet fucking kick ass metal Iron Maiden eque tune done this well, there's no denying it.  From what Evermind tells me about the album sounds really interesting and this song is a good start.  So simple in execution and songwriting and absolutely nothing new here, but everything is wonderful.  The vocals especially soar and are very powerful.  Great melodies in the pre chorus and chorus too, very infectious.  I love the structure too as you then have like a 2 and a half minute shred fest, which doesn't seem overdone or over long.  The fade out was quite funny, but I'll look past it, and I was fully warned.  Love this track indeed, brilliant metal.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 9
Replay value - 9
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 9.0

Big Hath - Balance of Power - Walking on top of the World

Big Hath does a bit of cheating here but I'm glad he did.  I know Lance King from Pyramaze of course and his solo album was decent enough too, but never heard these guys.  Yeah, again, this is just solid power metal, nothing wrong here and a great infectious well done track.  Lance sounds great as usual and delivers a great performance.  Again, nothing new here, but when it's done this well, it's all win.  Great solos here and a band that I should check out.  Not much more to say, great song.

Appeal of Style - 9
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 8.9

Dr. DTVT - Ghost Ship Octavius - In Dreams

To be honest, I think Mason is a bit of a dark horse here.  No offense mate, but I didn't really expect the submissions I have received from you, I don't know why but perhaps I underestimated you.  A band I've never heard of but pleasantly surprised to see Van Williams from Nevermore on drums.  I liked this instantly and knew everything here is for me.  The only thing that held me back at the start I gotta say, is the main melody at the start and in the chorus, reminds me exactly of Turn the Page (Seger/Metallica), and that was a little distracting.  I wonder if that has been picked up before.  Usually with rip offs I know they fade the more I listen and yeah, once past that, this is a brillilant slab of melodic, smooth yet good heavy metal.  Great atmosphere, great playing and really quite different and refreshing.  Will definitely check out this album for sure.

Appeal of Style - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 8.5
Replay value - 9
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 8.9

bl5150 - Shadow Keep - Leviathan Rising

Another staple Brent song right here.  I almost spat my coffee all over my computer screen as I had a mouthful when I heard the intro to this song.  Was about to send Brent an email saying 'bro, Queensryche are banned, especially The Lady Wore Black.' haha.  Luckily, I don't care about rip offs and shit like that.  Just re Brent's post, I actually really really liked the singer straight up.  Interesting tone but very strong.  I can definitely hear the Fates Warning vibe here for sure.  This was actually a tremendous grower as I felt it could have used more melody and didn't really have a strong hook.  The more I listened the more I got use to it and was able to enjoy what's going on here.  Everything here is well done so even though it has nothing original, it's really strong and impressive.  The solo section was very very good and yeah, another band to add to the list.  Won't be rushing out to buy them but worth a look for sure, great metal.

Appeal of Style - 9
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8

Score - 8.6

TAC - Theocracy - Laying the Demons to Rest

Here's a great song where the riffing is intense and doesn't let up at all.  Another name I've seen discussed but not heard anything.  I knew they were a religious band, but that doesn't worry me at all.  I actually think it's great to see bands like this, Stryper etc. have their beliefs but are obviously opened minded in their views and influences.  The mixing of religion and metal is really interesting and I think a good thing for metal in general.   This was really solid, and as I said, the riffing here is quite brutal and the whole sound of the track reminds me heavily of Bruce Dickinson's solo stuff.  The singer is very talented, at first I thought his voice was a little pretty for the song, but his highs are spectacular and know I think he fits really well with the style.  Great mid section, but I would have liked some shred, that would have helped, but that's just me, it doesn't really need it.  Structure is great considering the length and this is again something I wouldn't rush out to buy but a great sounding metal band that I need to look into more.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.6

lowdz - Vicious Rumors - Worlds and Machines

Another name I've obviously seen a lot but never heard anything from them.  This is some pretty solid old school metal with some obvious thrash influences.  It was always a band I wanted to check cause I believe Vinnie Moore was in this band for a brief time.  Certainly sounds like something Brent would send I I know was on his list somewhere too.  I found this solid without being really spectacular, but impressive.  It was a grower and the chorus eventually got me going, it was just hard to find the melody at first.  It doesn't let up and has a nice gallop throughout and the production and guitar tones are nice and sharp too.  Vocals have a bit of a Rob Rock influence too.  The solos were the standout for me, really great shred here that helped the score, definitely up my alley in this departement.  Would definitely check them out more based on this song.  Hopefully some of their other stuff has a little more melody, but for the style, it's really well done.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Replay value - 8
Would I purchase - 8.5

Score - 8.5

jjrock88 - Coney Hatch - First Time For Everything

Again, another old school band I've seen discussed a couple of times in the past.  Again, have not heard a single thing from them, and I was pleasantly surprised.  I found this quite super chill and well performed.  Really simple but great songwriting for the time.  Really smooth vocals on this one and the chorus I absolutely love.  Even though my tastes lately have been the heavier stuff, I can still appreciate some really good melodic rock like this.  Again, didn't blow me away, and certainly nothing original, but another hole in my discography that may need to be looked at.

Appeal of Style - 8
Instrumentation and vox - 8
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8

Score - 8.3

jingle.boy - Tesla - Edison's Medicine

Unfortunately I had to knock back Chad's first submission being Motley Crue's Kickstart My Heart.  Now yes, they are not on my banned list, but that particular song I know well and quite like.  Chad opted to send something else old school from Tesla.  Again, know the name but haven't heard a thing from them.  I did expect a little more from Chad after his last awesome submission,  but I had an open mind anyway.  At first, I thought this was pretty run of the mill 80's early 90's hair metal type stuff, nothing I haven't heard before.  With more listens though, I found it quite catchy and a great rock song.  The pre chorus is very catchy and the chorus was a nice contrast.  Wasn't massive on the vocals but it has the sound I like so I can see why Chad sent it.  Guitar work was decent too.  Again, not the strongest submission but the band has potential from this song.

Appeal of Style - 8
Instrumentation and vox - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 8.2

Train of Naut - Xerath - I Hunt for the Weak

Something a bit heavier this time from Dennis and this is a pretty good submission.  Nice and heavy throughout and it's definitely in my style.  The verses reminded me heavily of Strapping Young Lad which is one band I was never huge on, but quite a casual fan and enjoy what I have from them.  The choruses remind me of Soilwork too, as does the solo at the end, which is good.  I really like the structure and finishing it off with the solo worked really well.  The mix of styles is quite interesting and definitely a band I'd look further into.  It wasn't the most spectacular submission, but very good.

Appeal of Style - 8
Instrumentation and vox - 7.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8

Score - 8.1

Elite - Votum - Satellite

This one was an interesting one.  It has Elite's name all over it with the style here.  It has that modern alternate feel with a lot of the songs that I have been receiving that have been pretty hit or miss for me.  This song isn't bad at all, it's just pleasant.  Wasn't a fan of the vocals at first, but they grew on me.  The chorus was quite catchy and the mood overall was very good.  Didn't blow my socks off but a nice listen nevertheless.  Probably something I wouldn't check out though.

Appeal of Style - 7
Instrumentation and vox - 8
Structure and Songwriting - 7
Replay value - 7
Would I purchase - 6

Score - 7.0

lonestar - Voices From the Fuselage - Meteorites

This one I feel a bit bad for, cause it has a lot of elements I should like, but this just didn't click for me at all.  I found the vocals pretty ordinary and the intro IMO was quite awful.  He's a good singer, but just didn't dig him, not enough balls for me.  The music is great and well done though and it would be interesting to see what else the album dishes up.  The song just never really held my attention either, I keep drifting in and out while listening, nothing really pricked my ears either.  Well written and performed for what it is, just not for me, sorry RJ.

Appeal of Style - 8
Instrumentation and vox - 6
Structure and Songwriting - 6
Replay value - 6
Would I purchase - 6

Score - 6.4

Parama - Solstafer - She Destroys Again

Parama, it seems you and I just aren't a match, but I have found your submissions really interesting and this is no different.  This sounded like some sort of post punk, with some hardcore and some metal and rock thrown in too.  Very interesting in style but something I couldn't really grasp on.  I think if there were a bit of variation it would have helped, it was just so monotone for me which got old quick.  Wasn't a fan of the singer either.  The last couple of minutes with the old school metal riff made it more appealing, but not enough to save it for me, sorry.

Appeal of Style - 5
Instrumentation and vox - 5
Structure and Songwriting - 5.5
Replay value - 6
Would I purchase - 4

Score - 5.1

Bolsters - Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah

Well, this is one way to fuck up your progress.  Sorry Dave, I found this possibly one of the worst things I've heard in quite some time.  I obviously know the band name and know what they are about but I can honestly say I've never heard anything from them at all.  I like a good slab of cheddar now and then, but this is just too much.  I just couldn't find anything enjoyable about this at all.  I guess the chorus was catchy but not in a good way.  I don't care about lyrics but words like 'Arockalypse' and 'day of rockening' is just too much.  Sorry mate, this is a big miss.

Appeal of Style - 7
Instrumentation and vox - 5
Structure and Songwriting - 3
Replay value - 3
Would I purchase - 2

Score - 4.0

Standings after round 4;

Big Hath - 35.9
Dr. DTVT - 35.6
bl5150 - 35.3
Evermind - 34.7
TAC - 33.9
lowdz - 33.8
jingle.boy - 33.7
jjrock88 - 32
lonestar - 31.1
Train of Naut - 29.2
Bolsters - 29.1
Elite - 28.6
Parama - 26

Round 5 open.  Things are really heating up!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:18:40 AM by wolfking »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
That Ghost Ship Octavius album definitely comes with my highest recommendations as well, if that means anything to you. In Dreams isn't the song that I'd send from it - I'd probably go with Pendulum - but it's at worst solid from start to finish, so you can't really go wrong either way.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm flabbergasted you've never heard anything from Tesla or Vicious Rumors