Author Topic: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Kip Winger approved!  (Read 98915 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Round 2 bands revealed!
« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
Double wrong Chad, I sent Iris Divine.

Bastard!  Though, understandable.

Are you familiar with that band Chad?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2016, 12:30:24 AM »
Double wrong Chad, I sent Iris Divine.

Bastard!  Though, understandable.

Are you familiar with that band Chad?

Indeedy.  Have both their albums.  Don't think I had it on the top of my list for your roulette, but I did for RJ's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2016, 12:32:46 AM »
Yeah, never heard of them myself.  Discovering lots of new music here which is great.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2016, 12:44:14 AM »
Yeah, never heard of them myself.  Discovering lots of new music here which is great.

:tup  That's always the goal.  As I told you over email, I really wish this roulette was 28 rounds.   :lol  Despite your deep library, there's still several holes here and there.  Each of us have them - as evidenced from the 'let's prank RJ list'.   :biggrin:

@ RJ ....

Need a hug?

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2016, 03:42:34 AM »
I have a feeling it's the band I sent that was sent twice, though I have no grounds to base it on.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2016, 05:15:32 AM »
Overall a very strong round but with a couple that just don't hit the mark.  Results definitely Sunday evening and I haven't started scroing yet.  Could be a big gap between the top lot and the few down the bottom.  A couple of real standouts too.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2016, 05:47:04 AM »
i sort of doubt wolfking will really hate the song i sent since it's not really that unconventional and pretty dang good

he might hate some of my planned entries though  :corn
Pretty much this. I will probably get some shitty scores in this one but the song I sent this round I'm actually quite confident in.

Mostly quality again where the highs could get as high as round 1 high, but I must warn you, the lows are going to be way lower.
This frightens me though
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2016, 06:06:32 AM »
Pretty confident in my song once again.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2016, 06:53:34 AM »

:tup  That's always the goal.  As I told you over email, I really wish this roulette was 28 rounds.   :lol  Despite your deep library, there's still several holes here and there.  Each of us have them - as evidenced from the 'let's prank RJ list'.   :biggrin:

@ RJ ....

Need a hug?

Just spun Iris Divine. Added them to my banned list.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56:00 AM »
Is Phantasma on your banned list? You might want to spin it too.  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: April 21, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

@ RJ ....

Need a hug?

Just spun Iris Divine. Added them to my banned list.

:lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: April 21, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
That's cool... I deserved it.  There isn't a lot of overlap between my wolfking/lonestar possible submissions.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: April 21, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »
That's cool... I deserved it.  There isn't a lot of overlap between my wolfking/lonestar possible submissions.

Interesting.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: April 21, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »

Interesting.

Mostly because the wolfing playlist is filled with bands RJ introduced me to. All the better to rockblock with!!  :neveruserhis:

Seriously though, my aim lately is to spread the wealth, and not use the same bands in multiple roulettes.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #364 on: April 22, 2016, 09:02:08 PM »
any further hints, tidbits, or impressions from this round?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #365 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
everything sucked and the roulette is over, everyone loses

i might actually include this rule in my next roulette, if there's ever a round where no song is at least an 8.0 then the roulette is over and everyone loses

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #366 on: April 23, 2016, 12:20:48 AM »
^I'll do my best to have everybody send absolute shite in round 1 then :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #367 on: April 23, 2016, 01:26:46 AM »
Okay, got it. Parama's roulette first round: Periphery - Priestess
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #368 on: April 23, 2016, 01:30:00 AM »
the joke is that's one of the better songs on juggernaut omega

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: April 24, 2016, 03:30:11 AM »
any further hints, tidbits, or impressions from this round?

How about results very shortly?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: April 24, 2016, 03:32:38 AM »
I'm all for it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Round 3 Results!!!!!
« Reply #371 on: April 24, 2016, 04:01:32 AM »
Round 2 Results!!!

Here we are.  Again, a lot of listens, and I told you guys I'm putting the foot down with some of these.

Dr DTVT - Iris Divine - Prisms

Well, when I opted to run this roulette, I wanted great music, but was also hoping I'd get something a little different but absolutely killer at the same time, as I feel things for me have been getting a bit stale.  I wanted something fresh and new.  I think my call has been answered.  I said in round 1 I didn't know how the Moon'Doc would get trumped but I think we have a winner.  This band is simply incredible.  This band is quite original to me.  They have the DT thing, but also like an Evergrey feel also, with some POS too.  It's hard to describe what else they sound like but I love what the band are doing here, great melodies but nice and heavy and dark too.  This song on the first listen to all 13 songs was the one that made me say, "Shit, song of the round by far."  Obviously other songs closed in, but I can't get enough of this song, it's still the best, and I think best song so far after 2 rounds.  Love the chorus, love the instrumental sections, love the slightly different structure, love the vocalist, love the originality.  Definite purchase.

Appeal of Style - 9.5
Instrumentation and vox - 9.5
Structure and Songwriting - 9.5
Replay value - 9.5
Would I purchase - 9.5

Score - 9.5

lowdz - Orden Ogan - To The End

This was the song battling it out for first place with Iris Divine.   The only thing Iris Divine had over this was that it was more original.  This song is simply brilliant.  This takes me back to a teenager discovering the likes of Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian and Stratovarius.  This is how power metal should still be done, it's so refreshing to hear a band do well written 90's quality power metal, a genre that's really died in the ass IMO.  This actually started in the middle of the pack as it was just another power metal song to me at first, but the more I listen, I discovered how mature and well done this is for the style.  Everything about it is brilliant and the long instrumental section was glorious.  This is the sort of power metal that I've been missing for a long time and will be checking out this band for sure.  As good as the Moon'Doc in round 1 I think.

Appeal of Style - 9.5
Replay value - 9
Would I purchase - 9.5

Score - 9.4

TAC - Iris Divine - In the Wake of Martyrs

If I was going to get two songs from the one band, I'm glad it's this one.  Basically what I wrote about Prisms applies here, but the only reason the score is slighly lower is becuase, well, I like Prisms better.  Also, this one reminds me more of TOT style DT which is fucking good.  Everything else is wonderful, what a teriffic band indeed.   The only reason the OO get a slightly higher score was cause I have listened to that one a few more times than this, simply because of contrast in style I think.

Appeal of Style - 9.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9.5

Score - 9.3

bl5150 - Almanac - Self Blinded Eyes

Looks like Brent snuck one in here as this was a band on my radar but hadn't checked out yet.  The big thing for me was David Readman, who I love, he has a brillilant voice.  This is a band created by ex-Rage guitarist Victor Smolkski, and IMO he is one of the most underrated metal guitarists around, his leads are brilliant and it's no different here.  The solo I'll say is incredible and due to him being the leader of the band warrants them being on my purchase list.  The verses were impressive and had a nice older Edguy feel to me which is cool.  Chorus was solid enough but not as good as the verses, but an album I'm really looking forward to indeed.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 9
Replay value - 9
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 9.0

Big Hath - Armored Saint - Reign of Fire

I was expecting this band in round 1 from Jason but nevertheless here they are nice and early in round 2.  Didn't know anything about this band really.  I've listened to Win Hands Down once which was solid but have never checked out anything else, and the older stuff was what I'm most intrigued about.  This is actually really strong hard rock.  John Bush I find has an interesting voice.  I only know him briefly from Anthrax but even what I'm discovering from them is new to me.  His vocals seem to be very cut and dry and rough and even lacking melody, but for some reason is quite enjoyable to listen to.  This song has everything I could really ask for, great riffs, solos, good chorus and nice guitar harmonies too.  Obviously the big thing is if it keeps my interest and is purchse worthy and after one or two listens I thought, 'cool song,' but the more I listen, the more enjoyable it is, so despite it being so safe and not out of the box, I want to get this album, if it's all like this.  Great song.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 8.8

lonestar - IQ - The Road of Bones

IQ are a band that I know the name but have never heard a single note from.   From what I gathered, I knew they were prog, and after listening to this track that pretty much was confirmed.  The first time I listened to this, it was kind of 'meh'.  It has a massive Porcupine Tree sound and I am quite a fan of them, so I persisted.  This actually opened up to a really enjoyable track.  I really like the vocals and the atmosphere and style are wonderful.  The mellotron melody gets stuck in the head and makes the song very infectious, love that.  The heavy section at the end was great too.   Definitely a song you would have to be in the mood for, but enjoyed it more and more each time and I'm definitely interested in what else this band does, they have a superb sound.  I hope they crank things up a little from time to time, but this is a strong start.

Appeal of Style - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 8.8

Evermind - Absolute Priority - Fear of the Night

When this song kicked in I thought I was listening to Vanden Plas, which is a good thing.  This is simply some run of the mill solid prog metal that's just done really well.  Love the crunch, the vocals are pretty good, great keys and the structure here was common but well done.  Didn't blow me away with any originality or anything but solid metal with a good hook, that deserves to be checked out.  Great chorus on this one.

Appeal of Style - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 8.5
Replay value - 8.5
Would I purchase - 8

Score - 8.6

Bolsters - Glass Mind - Survive

Here's some more solid run of the mill prog metal.  This song was really enjoyable and I liked the sound, style and production.  There was nothing really new here, but everything here is well done.   Great playing and some good riffing and lots of DT influenced prog melodies.  If anything I feel it could have been a bit stronger in the vocal melodies departement, but I think the song is just a grower too. That's the only thing the Absolute Prioriy has over it, the melodies.  So with a stronger hook, it probably would have taken the score up a little.  I gotta say too, the Petrucci inspired solo at around the 4:30 mark was quite amazing and that alone makes me want to check the rest of the album out.  Solid submission.

Appeal of Style - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 8
Replay value - 8
Would I purchase - 9

Score - 8.5

jjrock88 - Joshua - Crying Out for Love

Another strong but safe entry from Jason.   Never heard of the band before but I see the guitarists name is Joshua so that makes more sense.  Smooth, melodic rock that was instantly catchy with good replay value.  I instantly recognized the wonderful vocals of Rob Rock which sure makes this track more enjoyable.  The guitar solos and melodies were especially excellent and something I'd certainly want to keep listening too.  I guess the only thing keeping the score from being higher than it is, is just how safe it is and really there's nothing here I haven't heard before, but I don't mean that in a negative way as it's a great catchy song.

Appeal of Style - 9
Structure and Songwriting - 8.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 8.3

jingle.boy - Phantasma - Enter Dreamscape

Another song that has Chad's name written all over it, and he decides to do a bit of cheating sending me a band featuring old mate from Serenity and a guest appearance from the Tom Englund, but that doesn't always constitute in instant win.   Things started off really really strong and positive.  Great riff and feel and the verses were powerful and excellent.  The chorus is where I struggle with this song, IMO it just drags it down unfortuantely.  I'm not the biggest fan of female voices in my metal, but they do have their place mainly in projects exactly like this, but for me, the chours just irritated me and cut the enjoyment down just a little bit.  I felt it held the song back instead of making it take off.  It is still are really solid song, and I'd probably still listen to the album due to the personel involved, and just how everything else about it was so good.  A bit unfortunate Chad, sorry.

Appeal of Style - 9
Instrumentation and vox - 8
Structure and Songwriting - 7.5
Replay value - 7.5
Would I purchase - 7.5

Score - 7.9

Elite - Arkentype - Ashes and Dirt

This song was somewhat interesting.   The style seems to be the newer metal Periphery style of thing, and they are somewhat effective.   I found the variety in the vocals to be quite good and the first couple of minutes I found nice and strong.   The only thing I didn't quite like was the chorus, it seemed to rely too heavily on it as the song went on and took some of the agression and power away from the song. It also had a bit of an emo feel, (if that's still a genre these days)  The ending dragged it on too much too.  Saying that, the band has chops and the tune has a nice atmosphere.  I think with time they could make something of themselves.  I probably wouldn't purchase this, but I'd definitely like to check out the rest of the album.  But saying that, the more I listened to this song, the more I lost interest.

Appeal of Style - 7.5
Instrumentation and vox - 7
Structure and Songwriting - 7
Replay value - 7
Would I purchase - 7

Score - 7.1

Train of Naut - Ihsahn - Celestial Violence

For some reason, I always wanted to check out Ihsahn.  I've never been an Emporer fan or anything, but I thought his solo stuff from what I could gather would be something I might like.  Unfortunately, while this was interesting, it doesn't make me want to check out more of his stuff.  What is on offer here is quite good, but I think perhaps my tastes have steered away from this dark, slow, plodding type of extreme music.  His black metal vox are excellent, and his cleans portray nice emotion.  It did get going a little towards the end which had me a little more interested but on a whole, not something that really blew my socks off.  Saying all that, I wouldn't mind checking out a full album to see if there was anything else, but at the moment, not something I'll jump into.

Appeal of Style - 7
Structure and Songwriting - 7
Replay value - 6
Would I purchase - 6

Score - 6.9

Parama - Oceans of Slumber - Sunlight

Well, Parama I just want to apologise in advance to you now, because I really didn't like this song at all.  Unfortunately, it just didn't click with me at all, and I listened to it many times but now when it comes up, I want to skip it.  I'm not a huge fan of female vox, they have their place for me, but I will say the singer's vocals are pretty good and I guess the atmosphere overall is good too which is a plus, but there just wasn't anything here that I found positive, it just plodded and went nowhere IMO.  I'm sorry for the score, but I can't rate this any higher.  Feeling I should rate it lower too.

Appeal of Style - 5
Instrumentation and vox -7.5
Structure and Songwriting - 4.5
Replay value - 4
Would I purchase - 4

Score - 5.0

Current standings after round 2

Dr. DTVT - 18.2
Big Hath - 18.2
bl5150 - 17.7
TAC - 17.7
lowdz - 17.5
Evermind - 17.5
Bolsters - 16.9
jingle.boy - 16.4
jjrock88 - 16.3
lonestar - 16.2
Train of Naut - 13.7
Parama - 12.5
Elite - 13.1

Bands added to the list;

Iris Divine
Almanac
Orden Ogan
IQ
Armored Saint
Absolute Priority
Glass Mind
Joshua
Phantasma
Arkentype
Ihsahn
Oceans of Slumber

Round 3 open.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:26:27 AM by wolfking »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: wolfking's roulette to end all roulettes v. Round 3 Results!!!
« Reply #372 on: April 24, 2016, 04:20:20 AM »
Ihsahn doesn't do clean vocals on this song, that's Einar Solberg from Leprous. I've been into this epic black metal with the big climaxes kinda stuff as of lately, more than you apparently :lol but it's fine, I don't think we're a perfect match anyways, but I may be able to redeem myself in future rounds.

So.. the time limit is 20 minutes apparently, I kinda feel like a dick sending a 19 minute song but I think it could do pretty good, sending now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: April 24, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »
Ihsahn doesn't do clean vocals on this song, that's Einar Solberg from Leprous. I've been into this epic black metal with the big climaxes kinda stuff as of lately, more than you apparently :lol but it's fine, I don't think we're a perfect match anyways, but I may be able to redeem myself in future rounds.

So.. the time limit is 20 minutes apparently, I kinda feel like a dick sending a 19 minute song but I think it could do pretty good, sending now.

It does seem our styles differ a bit, but still looking forward to your submissions.  And a 19 minute song is fine.  I have time to listen this week to lots of stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2016, 04:45:49 AM »
Glad you liked it. OO are a great band in a genre where 99% is generic shit. Glad you liked it.

Never really went back to the Iris Divine - must have missed something there. Just checking out the Almanac. Great stuff. Going to get that. Brent is the man. Think I might do a roulette just with Brent sending ten submissions a round. Guaranteed to cost me a fortune  :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: April 24, 2016, 04:49:30 AM »

I am pretty much retiring from roulettes after this bunch (focus on the podcast which is basically one big roulette with me sending shit  :D )- the only thing that may bring me out of retirement is a lowdz roulette  ;)

Happy with standings here - haven't gone near my top 15 songs yet ............hoping to save plenty of ammo for finals if I can make it that way.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2016, 04:56:02 AM »

I am pretty much retiring from roulettes after this bunch (focus on the podcast which is basically one big roulette with me sending shit  :D )- the only thing that may bring me out of retirement is a lowdz roulette  ;)

Happy with standings here - haven't gone near my top 15 songs yet ............hoping to save plenty of ammo for finals if I can make it that way.

:omg: :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2016, 04:56:26 AM »

Colour me excited!

Glad you liked it. OO are a great band in a genre where 99% is generic shit. Glad you liked it.

Never really went back to the Iris Divine - must have missed something there. Just checking out the Almanac. Great stuff. Going to get that. Brent is the man. Think I might do a roulette just with Brent sending ten submissions a round. Guaranteed to cost me a fortune  :biggrin:

Yeah mate, definitely gonna check them out.

We should make a roulette where Brent is the only participant the rest of us are actually judges and he can send 10 songs just himself every round.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: April 24, 2016, 04:57:51 AM »
Looks like Evermind is getting some special treatment in the standings - as is Parama.  Or maybe Tim is just demoted cos he disses Winger.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: April 24, 2016, 05:00:09 AM »
I knew I'd balls something up with all these numbers.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: April 24, 2016, 05:14:36 AM »
Round 3 Results? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2016, 05:24:06 AM »

He did say ALL the numbers  :lol

just revisited the Iris Divine and yeah....good stuff.  I have that album but not sure that I ever gave it a proper listen.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2016, 05:26:28 AM »
Also, Chad, told you Phantasma won't work.

Sending for Round 6 shortly.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2016, 05:27:44 AM »

:facepalm:

Also, Chad, told you Phantasma won't work.

Yeah, I felt bad for Chad on this one.  :(

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: wolfking's top 50 albums: v. #50: I sympathize...
« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2016, 05:36:57 AM »

BTW about the Ihsahn album, it's not really that black metal-ish, the new one has a lot of hard rock type songs and it also features Trivium singer Matt Heafy which I figured you might be into. Man I suck at choosing my guest vocalists, first the Soilwork singer I'm leaving out and now Trivium.. I should look into these picks a bit more before sending :lol luckily this time I didn't send anything with guest vocalists.