Author Topic: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  (Read 4314 times)

Calvin6s

2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:12:43 PM »
So I guess this happened?  It has become so irrelevant to me that I just don't care.  Guess there is yet another stupid controversy.  But is it really a controversy if people don't care?

The inductees:
Deep Purple
Steve Miller
Chicago
N.W.A.
Cheap Trick

Offline senecadawg2

Re: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 03:26:17 PM »
NWA>Yes, King Crimson, ELP and so many more.

I respect AL for mocking the thing when Rush was inducted.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:32:45 PM »
Cheap Trick? Are they really at the C level bands at this point in time?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 03:33:41 PM »
N.W.A. in a rock and roll hall of fame... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think these were the nominees
Chicago
Yes
The Cars
Deep Purple
Steve Miller
Janet Jackson
Cheap Trick
The Spinners
Chaka Khan
Chic
The J.B.'s
N.W.A
Nine Inch Nails
The Smiths
Los Lobos

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 04:04:04 PM »
N.W.A. in a rock and roll hall of fame... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't even consider rap to be MUSIC, let alone ROCK!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 04:06:34 PM »
I'm not sure if this is correct, but I think these were the nominees
Chicago
Yes
The Cars
Deep Purple
Steve Miller
Janet Jackson
Cheap Trick
The Spinners
Chaka Khan
Chic
The J.B.'s
N.W.A
Nine Inch Nails
The Smiths
Los Lobos

It's BULLSHIT that YES didn't get in!

Other than that the only bands on that list that I think deserve it are Chicago and Deep Purple.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Calvin6s

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »
But how many here even knew this event happened already?  I didn't.  I only know because Gene Simmons said he is cheering on the death of rap and Ice Cube of NWA responded in his RnRHoF interview so it pops up on rock news sites.

My problem with the RnRHoF has less to do with hip-hop inclusion and more about the fact that I just never cared about it.  Just like I never cared about the Grammys or Billboard or MTV awards. 

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »

Yeah. Nothing wrong with NWA or hip hop but what they're doing in a Rock hall of fame?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »

Rap is totally music, but it isn't rock. They should just call it the popular music hall of fame and be done with it, no more controversy.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »
Lars actually gave a really good speech inducting Deep Purple.  But yeah.........the whole thing is a bit of a joke.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 08:35:42 PM »
I mean, if I went to Cleveland would I go? Absolutely. But the whole induction process is tainted now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 08:58:09 PM »
But how many here even knew this event happened already?  I didn't.  I only know because Gene Simmons said he is cheering on the death of rap and Ice Cube of NWA responded in his RnRHoF interview so it pops up on rock news sites.

I only know because I saw something pop up on the Metallica FB page about the induction speech. If not for that, I would have had no clue, even from major rock sources. I don't think Blackmore even showed up, so I don't care.

Cheap Trick? Are they really at the C level bands at this point in time?

Yeah. That happens when you skip a bunch of A and B, too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:20 PM »
Don't call Cheap Trick a C list band around Chicago.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 09:47:41 PM »
It's not like Cheap Trick is a one hit wonder.   They had at least a dozen really big hits spanning over 3 decades.  I'd hardly call that C-list.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 10:07:53 PM »
Ultimately, making the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is like getting a Grammy nomination: just about any serious artist with a clue knows it means squat in the grand scheme of things, but you have to talk it up a bit like it matters since that kind of recognition is never a bad thing.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 11:47:38 PM »

Rap is totally music, but it isn't rock. They should just call it the popular music hall of fame and be done with it, no more controversy.

Maybe what I said was a little harsh, but I was expressing my frustration over the fact that so many pop and rap acts, as well as rock bands that just aren't that GOOD get honored by organizations like the RaRHoF, while artists who contributed something to the history of modern music since at least the '60s & '70s continually get passed over and ignored. If I had it MY way, DT would have been inducted last year, since I do believe the 25th anniversary of a band's first album is the main requirement for eligibility.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:19:45 PM by chaossystem »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »
Yeah, i'm not sure why Deep Purple wasn't inducted yet. It should have been a long time ago.

Chicago
Yes
The Cars
Deep Purple
Steve Miller
Janet Jackson
Cheap Trick
The Spinners
Chaka Khan
Chic
The J.B.'s
N.W.A
Nine Inch Nails
The Smiths
Los Lobos

From these, i would induct Yes, Deep Purple, The Smiths and Nine Inch Nails, they more than deserve it. Last spot could be Chicago, Cars or Steve Miller.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:22:13 AM by Outcrier »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 01:25:01 AM »
Great that DP finally got in, but not cool that Blackmore wasn't allowed to be their.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:21 AM »
Now, if you could, what artists/bands would you guys induct?

I would pick one from each decade (based on the decade they formed), only exception being the 70s:

60s - King Crimson
70s - The Cure
70s - Iron Maiden
80s - The Smiths
90s - Pearl Jam

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 01:43:11 AM »
They should change the name of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame to Music Hall of Fame, to reflect the new genres coming in. Bearing in mind that hip-hop only became popular in the late 70s/early 80s, and the 25-year wait for eligibility, it stands to reason that hip-hop artists should be honoured in this way now that we're approaching 40 years since the genre's development. Regardless of whether you personally like it or not, you can't deny that many of these artists had a huge impact on music history.

A lot of this complaining is probably just sour grapes because their favourite band isn't inducted yet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 04:32:52 AM »
Calvin, do you Internet at all?  The nominations were all over the Internet and news.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 05:01:19 AM »
Calvin, do you Internet at all?  The nominations were all over the Internet and news.

I will repeat this
So I guess this happened?  It has become so irrelevant to me that I just don't care.
I have smartphone notifications for top headlines, so either this never showed up or I "just don't care" and quickly deleted the notification headline.  Music awards are about on the level of National Enquirer headlines for me.  And the RaRHoF did not disappoint as it produced a laughable Gene Simmons - NWA feud, a Steve Miller diatribe and I think there was music involved, but I wouldn't be able to tell on that last point.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 05:32:45 AM »
If you don't care why make a thread? :lol

Well all have a beef about who makes it and who doesn't.  That hack owner from Rolling Stone who runs this can suck it for all I care.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Calvin6s

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 06:06:15 AM »
If you don't care why make a thread? :lol
Because when something I consider a joke has a joke within a joke, it's funny.

This is like reporting on the Jethro Tull win for Best Metal at the Grammys.  I don't really care about the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue either, but if Betty White was on the cover ....

It's like watching the race for the USA President.  It's great reality TV filled with laughs (until they told me what the winner's prize was).  Thankfully, NWA's induction will not affect my music life in the slightest.

Or I could just say I found the "New Topic" button.  Would you like me to tell you where it is?    :laugh:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:27 AM »
This is a joke that is at least 15 years old though?  Lol.  Would doesn't know this?  Every year it's the same thing.  We say, "They made it yet this band didn't "?

Calvin6s

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2016, 06:23:38 AM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2016, 06:30:17 AM »
 :lol

It's just seemed like you just figured it out and it made me laugh a littl .

Calvin6s

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2016, 06:58:16 AM »
Gotta admire them for putting the hall of fame in Ohio (Cleveland Rocks).  Somebody said if they were near, they'd go.

Whereas I wouldn't be asking myself how I ended up in the RaRHoF, but rather how I ended up in Cleveland, Ohio.  I asked my smartphone for places to visit in Cleveland, Ohio and it only came up with one site:
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2016, 07:08:13 AM »
I think we all know where it is and question why. Btw, I'm going to Columbus,  OH tomorrow for a conference. It's a little more than an hour away from Cleveland 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 07:39:04 AM »
Chicago should have been in years ago.  How many #1 albums in the 70s?

nwa.....geesh, why not induct Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, etc...?  They were more influential, and have more in common with rock n roll.  Cheap Trick?!?!?  Will they need a bucket for Nielsen at the podium?

Went to the fame about 15 years ago.  A very nice Lennon display, Queen items (Freddie leotards, Brian May outfits, guitar etc)...with a cheap, slightly bent 'One Vision' picture sleeve.  Is the place worth a special trip?  No.  Is it worth it if you happen to be there?  Probably.

The stadiums are a good place to catch a game (especially if your team is playing the Browns).  alicecooper'stown was a great restaurant/sports memorabilia place to go to, but that closed eons ago.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2016, 10:35:38 AM »
Don't call Cheap Trick a C list band around Chicago.

FTFY. C-list, my ass.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
I did go to the Rock Hall in Cleveland last Summer.

Kevin Gilbert's name is in there along with a clip of The Monkees (see my YouTube Channel or blog).

Blackmore decided not to go. There's a good video of him giving his reasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr_aADCoUvE

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
Now, if you could, what artists/bands would you guys induct?

I would pick one from each decade (based on the decade they formed), only exception being the 70s:

60s - King Crimson
70s - The Cure
70s - Iron Maiden
80s - The Smiths
90s - Pearl Jam

Why did you pick Iron Maiden for the 1970s? There's some debate about weather or not their first album was released in 1979 or 1980, but other than that their first few several, best-known, and probably most popular albums are very much a product of the '80s.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 06:33:28 PM »
I love Cheap Trick. One of the most underrated rock bands of all time. Was happy to see them get in.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods